420 Magazine's Photo of the Month: October 2019

Ok your offended @SQl2kGuy. Nice work judging me you fit in very well here. Water and whiskey talk was a good angle of attack.

Ok your offended @SQl2kGuy. Nice work judging me you fit in very well here. Water and whiskey talk was a good angle of attack.

I'm definitely not offended ... I'm just making some points using anecdotes ... if I was a bit harsh ... I apologize ...

If someone comes up and tells me to my face that autoflowers are high quality and high yield ... after I give them evidence using researched quotes ... then I know they have been suckered by the marketing propaganda ... and I will laugh ... and simply try to set them straight ...

In my opinion ... autoflowers are a rip-off ... genetically you are trading speed for quality ... just like fast food ...

I will share my opinion ... and it's up to the reader to decide what they buy and grow ...

Don't be offended either .. if you love autoflowers ... then shout it out ... I'm sure there are many others who will agree with you ... and there is a place for them in certain grow strategies ... but just be savvy and understand the trade-offs and the hype ...

All is good ... just chatting and joking around :)

I wasn't trying to offend you my bad if I did. I'm sorry also your auto grows didn't pan out I'm just wondering why that's all. It sounded like you may have other issues going on that will transfer over to photos 10 fold.

I had pretty good yield from a few autoflowers ... but the quality wasn't there for me ... then I had a real bad experience with my latest autoflowers ... did some research ... and was not happy with what I read.

I'm also getting better results with coco than with soil ...

But for now ... I'm happy just ranting about how I will never grow an autoflower again ...

Maybe I should start a thread #NoAutoFlowersClub ... :)

And ... based on my latest sucky autoflower experience ... if there are others who want to join me in ranting ... that would make me laugh a bit ...

But I admit ... I do need to be a bit more sensitive ..,

Ok cool @SQl2kGuy I hear ya. Ill give ya a bit of my reasoning. So here's my style I started out growing photos and was very successful with them but my issue was u could only pull 2 grows per yr and my space was limited a bit so by the time I got around to my next grow I was running out of smoke for my wife and I. If I had 3 rooms 2 use yes I would be mothering cloning and flowering the shit out of things. So I went to autos and the reason was simple for me. No light changes mean constant plants can be thrown in together. I'm in no rush so I top and train and quad my autos now which took me time to get right. I average 3 to 5 ounces a plant now of very tight and potent nugs. With the ability to run them together I can harvest every 3 weeks to 5 weeks which has gave me a abundance of smoke. This is just working for me so I'm very pleased with it. I will let you know that there are strains of autos that flat out suck very low yields and crap smoke but I've spent a bit of time in this mission to find some killer autos that for sure are very good. Just wanted to explain my deal thanks for being cool this morning. Btw lol I live in a killer clean area my water comes from a fresh mountain spring which ill drink right from the ground lol happy growing

So got to 50 posts so thought id throw in something and get involved. My entry :cheesygrinsmiley:.
Bowl full of orange punch flower, amnesia haze crumble and a blob of cream.

full

Best of luck to everyone entering. Some lovely photos here :goodjob: .
:Namaste:

Ok cool @SQl2kGuy I hear ya. Ill give ya a bit of my reasoning. So here's my style I started out growing photos and was very successful with them but my issue was u could only pull 2 grows per yr and my space was limited a bit so by the time I got around to my next grow I was running out of smoke for my wife and I. If I had 3 rooms 2 use yes I would be mothering cloning and flowering the shit out of things. So I went to autos and the reason was simple for me. No light changes mean constant plants can be thrown in together. I'm in no rush so I top and train and quad my autos now which took me time to get right. I average 3 to 5 ounces a plant now of very tight and potent nugs. With the ability to run them together I can harvest every 3 weeks to 5 weeks which has gave me a abundance of smoke. This is just working for me so I'm very pleased with it. I will let you know that there are strains of autos that flat out suck very low yields and crap smoke but I've spent a bit of time in this mission to find some killer autos that for sure are very good. Just wanted to explain my deal thanks for being cool this morning. Btw lol I live in a killer clean area my water comes from a fresh mountain spring which ill drink right from the ground lol happy growing

Perfect example of a grow strategy ... no need to change the light schedule ... and you've got the training down ...

Also ... you can pull two outdoor harvests using autoflowers in the North ...

Maybe when I cool off a bit and get this rant completely out ... I'll give autoflowers another chance ... ;)

Happy growing ...

I had pretty good yield from a few autoflowers ... but the quality wasn't there for me ... then I had a real bad experience with my latest autoflowers ... did some research ... and was not happy with what I read.

I'm also getting better results with coco than with soil ...

But for now ... I'm happy just ranting about how I will never grow an autoflower again ...

Maybe I should start a thread #NoAutoFlowersClub ... :)

And ... based on my latest sucky autoflower experience ... if there are others who want to join me in ranting ... that would make me laugh a bit ...

But I admit ... I do need to be a bit more sensitive ..,

Timing is everything for outdoor grows. You need to know the first and last days you can expect frost in your location. You need to know when you can expect rain, the humidity, and temperature throughout the growing season. Then you need the date daylight hours drop below 14hrs per day. When you have this data, you can start planning an outdoor grow. As an example in my area:

Last day of frost: April 30
First day of frost: Oct 11
So the outdoor growing season is from April 30 - Oct 11. I have had frost as late as 31 May, so I use June 1 - Oct 15 as the start point for calculating my outdoor growing season.

MonthPrecipitation (mm)Temperature (°C)Humidity (% rh)
June99.714.6High, but decreases
July103.118mid, relatively stable
August9517.7mid, relatively stable
September112.413.4mid, rises after first storm
October131.67.8mid to high

Having lived here for over 30 years, I know that the official precipitation amounts from mid June to mid Sept are usually too high. Experience tells me that I can put my plants out around the middle of June, and need to harvest by the middle of Sept to be relatively safe. Daylight hours drops below 14 hrs on Aug 17, so that's used as the flip date for photoperiods.

What this means is that I have a very short flowering time, only about 30 days before the autumn rains start. Photoperiods would be a poor choice for my outdoor grows.

What I can grow outdoors is autoflowers. I can get two grows in, if I start the first one indoors, and move them outside Jun 15 for a harvest Jul 15. I can then get another grow in from Jul 15 - Sept 15 of a short growing time autoflower.

A greenhouse would extend my growing season from the middle of May to early November, serving to keep the rain off of my plants, and keep the heat in. That would enable me to grow a single crop of photoperiods, or two crops of autoflowering plants. The autoflowers could be those taking more time to mature, or perhaps I could squeeze in a third grow of those taking little time to mature.

To successfully grow outdoors, you need to know your weather conditions, and plan your grows around them. Then you need some luck for those conditions to hold.

This month I'm going to enter a pic of the same plant I entered last month. This time I've added a cat!....
well, that sux. i haven't even decided which pic, yet and with that purple... I'm out!
wait- no booze... what was the other disqualifier? technically, that's a lil pssy and I'm pretty sure i read, that's grounds for... just sayin. I'm no rodent!

well, that sux. i haven't even decided which pic, yet and with that purple... I'm out!
wait- no booze... what was the other disqualifier? technically, that's a lil pssy and I'm pretty sure i read, that's grounds for... just sayin. I'm no rodent!

Good thing you're no rodent. That smug kitty looks like she's got the munchies.

Back
Top Bottom