A question to all those that grow with LED

How about environmentally. How does the production and use of LED compare to other older lighting systems. Has a study been done on that?

commercial hid is being discontinued due to environmental concerns. there are issues surrounding the gases and a bunch of other stuff. regular bulbs are being phased out as well for the same reasons.

My thinking would be LED would tend to be a little worse off for environmental concerns. Mainly due to all the different components and the manufacturing involved. Then what happens when they hit landfills and such.

led is not environmentally friendly to produce. there are a lot of heavy metals etc involved. similar to any chip making process. led wins on the back end though with reduced energy consumption, increased efficiency, and longevity.

my best bulb only lasted 4 yrs, and it lost piles in between. i refurbished a led cob rig, - old tech by any led standard - for a friend, and it's at a higher rate than when first built, going on to a decade old now.

my current rigs are close to at least seven yrs now, and i have a waiting list of people to pass them to if i ever retire them.

edit : to answer the original question. it has already effectively replaced hid. hid is a side show now.

commercial hid is being discontinued due to environmental concerns. there are issues surrounding the gases and a bunch of other stuff. regular bulbs are being phased out as well for the same reasons.

led is not environmentally friendly to produce. there are a lot of heavy metals etc involved. similar to any chip making process. led wins on the back end though with reduced energy consumption, increased efficiency, and longevity.

my best bulb only lasted 4 yrs, and it lost piles in between. i refurbished a led cob rig, - old tech by any led standard - for a friend, and it's at a higher rate than when first built, going on to a decade old now.

my current rigs are close to at least seven yrs now, and i have a waiting list of people to pass them to if i ever retire them.

edit : to answer the original question. it has already effectively replaced hid. hid is a side show now.
My assumption would be about the same. The industry or business of growing can be pretty toxic. From components to nutrient run offs. Being individually responsible is a big thing I think. Even is small growers need to be conscious to what we do with or left overs. We should also be keeping an eye on big canna. We know our states can’t do the job effectively

How about environmentally. How does the production and use of LED compare to other older lighting systems. Has a study been done on that?
My thinking would be LED would tend to be a little worse off for environmental concerns. Mainly due to all the different components and the manufacturing involved. Then what happens when they hit landfills and such.

Hope that makes sense. Have been sick for six days now. Not doing the best currently.
I feel for you, this year has not been good for me, 4 surgeries over a 5 month period, just in the past few months have I began gain my strength back and begun growing again.
Hope you heal soon friend!

My assumption would be about the same. The industry or business of growing can be pretty toxic. From components to nutrient run offs. Being individually responsible is a big thing I think. Even is small growers need to be conscious to what we do with or left overs. We should also be keeping an eye on big canna. We know our states can’t do the job effectively

I am certen there are those that just don't give a shit and dump their waste waters down drains/toilets and the like. I am proud to say I am not one of them. All my waste waters/spent rez water and cleanup get sprayed on my lawn, or pumped into my garden/landscape pots and plantings.
As far as components go, I agree with @bluter LED will last longer are more efficient and use less energy. I know folks that will take LED's and strip them down for recycling. I hope that the LED manufactures that on this roll in the future.

I just got a Smart 8 unbelievable light Led's seem to be getting better and better in a short time .they are more about the light spectrums and i wont touch that, I have enough issue with the timer.
any body else remember the old haloid lights. they would literally bust people for growing because of the jump in the electric bills ,ah those were the days
the timer on the Smart 8 is an issue ?

the timer on the Smart 8 is an issue ?
no it was a me issue its weird the way you have to set the timer you have to set the timer (in my case) 18 hrs before you want it turn off which is a bit of a hassel but when my grandkids switched my plugs arounds they kept resetting my light and I didnt know about it. I was cussing out medic grow then I had to eat some crow this light is amazing Im not sure the sunrise sunset effect makes a difference, but its cool to brag about lol

no it was a me issue its weird the way you have to set the timer you have to set the timer (in my case) 18 hrs before you want it turn off which is a bit of a hassel but when my grandkids switched my plugs arounds they kept resetting my light and I didnt know about it. I was cussing out medic grow then I had to eat some crow this light is amazing Im not sure the sunrise sunset effect makes a difference, but its cool to brag about lol
lol, pesky grandkids

352905F6-C614-4A2D-ADD6-F2FC59590F29.jpeg

I only grow organically, or at least I try to but it’s up to the nutrients manufacturers to be on the up n up. CL🍀

This is what I’m currently trying out.

Typically I use powdered versions as I don’t want to pay for extra water.

Have found a few decent ones in my time so far.

Kosher nutrients for one. Think they are out of Palm Springs California.
And another I would have to go check the name. Both have been very good to my plants.
I don’t want to step on any toes but it’s only Sponsored products that are allowed anything else should be P.M. I’m going to be using Prescription Blend on my next grow. CL🍀

Back
Top Bottom