AKGramma's Harlequin Soil Grow Fall 2018

I'm desperately trying to EKE out some free time to transplant them, so I can take pictures of the process and the addition of MYKOS to the roots. Real life is getting in the way right now. Best I can do is keep them watered. ;-)

PLANTING DAY!!! 26 Days from sprouting of seed.

1) Water the big-girl bins till the water runs out at the bottom. I plant them directly in their final pots, because they grow so fast.

2) Make a hole and shape it with the same pot your baby is in. I just press hard and twist to depth. Don't worry about the walls of the hole. They need to be sloppy for Step 3.

Get your MYKOS ready. This product is dried bacteria that form a symbiotic bond with the roots to break down nutrients into a form the roots can use. I use the big scoop for plants of this size.

3) Sprinkle one scoop around the inside of the hole.

4) Gently shake the plant out of the Cup. I also squeeze to loosen the sides. Keep your off-hand cupped around the ball, with the stem between your fingers for support. It's OK is some of the root ball falls apart. But you still want to be as careful as you can manage.

5) Set the plant in the hole and gently press the soil evenly around the plant.

6) Add about an inch or so of soil on top to just about an inch below the rim of the pot. This will support the plant while it puts out new roots. You may carefully tie it to a skewer or other source of support if the stem is weak.

The finished Transplant! I will keep the clippie CFLs until the babies grow taller, to keep the nodes tight. This is the perfect time to set a fan to gently blow on them. I use a clippie desk fan or two. You don't need a hurricane, just a gentle breeze.

The grow unit looks dark because I turned off the LED's to eliminate the purple light for the picture. I really have 400 Watts (from the wall) installed and it's VERY bright during lights on!

Having a few years worth of grow under my belt, I'm not smothering this one to death or fretting over every little change. I'm purging crap out of my house again, so that keeps me busy. I just have to remember to feed and inspect the babies once a week. :popcorn:

I finally got around to uploading the grow. These are at 43 days from seed. Definite difference in Pheno between Afghani and Harlequin. Pardon the typos.

The grow.

Closeup of Harlequin, FIM'd once

Side view of Harlequin, FIM'd once (same plant)

I have not had to add nutes yet, because I refreshed the soil in the bins a few weeks before the transplant with my usual mix of supplements.

:yummy: The Harelquin scent is in-the-middle, not invasive, pleasant, even delicious.

The fim job looks awesome, let's hope the harlequin keeps its aroma!

I'm looking forward to the aroma changes at they mature. I've grown mostly sativa-heavy hybrids. Harlequin seems very Indica heavy, at least in growth pattern. The Afghani has widely-spaced nodes. The Harlies have tight nodes.

I don't want to overly-train them because I want to see what they do naturally, and, of course, pray for a breeding pair.

I hope you find your keepers too. Do you have any indications as to the sexual orientation of the Harlequins? They sure look pretty. :battingeyelashes: I'm planning on growing one myself sometime in the next year, or possibly a Candida. I have a need to grow something high in CBD so I can learn to mix better oils.

I hope you find your keepers too. Do you have any indications as to the sexual orientation of the Harlequins? They sure look pretty. :battingeyelashes: I'm planning on growing one myself sometime in the next year, or possibly a Candida. I have a need to grow something high in CBD so I can learn to mix better oils.

Sue: Since this is my first Harlequin grow, I would not know what to look for in growth pattern, until the switch. I do have a runt in the right back corner.

In my experience, the prettiest and most full plants turned out to be male, so maybe 2 males and one female? I WILL save most of the pollen to cross with a Harlie ancestor, even if I get a breeding pair.

After doing my research, I was reminded that Harlie ancestors are all landraces, none of which I have. Oh, well..... Got one chance for a breeding pair here.

But I won't be switching till mid December. I like to give them a full 3 months to mature first, unless they they decide to flower on their own. I've had a strain or two do that, and they were NOT autos!

Gave the grow a water flush today, as the Afghani started to dump a few of its lower leaves. Not much, just 4.

There are no mites whatsoever, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Between grows I washed down the tent, and ran diluted NEEM through the soil in the bins, along with a normal dose of nutes. The soil was nearly dry by the time the seedlings were old enough to transplant.... So, I think all this eliminated the bass-terds.

In about 6 weeks, I'll switch the lights to 12/12, unless the plants start showing signs earlier.

I need to share this, 'cause I'm so thrilled! :yahoo:

I have my first veteran-patient, who couldn't sleep at night between the PTSD and had joint pain. I taught him how to dose with 1 or 2 TBs Bicardi-based tincture at night just before bedtime, in his case with a beer chaser (any kind of liquid works) Two nights in a row, he got a full night's sleep, woke refreshed, clear-headed, and ready to go to work. Today he reported his hip pain went away, too!

I also gave him a small container of ground "herbs" to use sparingly in his cooking. This will build up the cannabinoids in his system for maintenance.

Now I have a real reason to keep growing, altho I have enough supply to create a LOT of tincture. He's going to supply the Bicardi, so I can keep a brew going.

METHOD

I brew old-school, putting the fresh or dried mixed leaves, flowers, pods, and pollen, (NOT decarbed) into a Mason Jar, then covering with Bicardi 141. I cap it tightly and put it in a bottom cabinet for at least a month, and decant any time (months, even a year) after that through a metal kitchen strainer. It's OK if some green matter gets through. We're protecting as many of the healing cannabinoids as possible. Decarb happens naturally, either through drying and storing the ground herbs or aging of the tincture. And IT IS STRONG!!!!!

I end up with about a pint to 3/4 quart of tincture each batch. I keep the tincture refrigerated, even though it probably won't spoil with all the alcohol content.

The leftover mash can be dried and used in tea, mixed with any kind of sweet/berry/herbal tea to taste. Also as an herb in cooking. There is always something left in the mash.

PRECAUTIONS

I made sure my patient wasn't an alcoholic before giving him an alcohol-based tincture. If he had been, I would have gone the capsule route and more cooking herbs to use at a higher dose. (I've gotten pretty loopy on my ground "herbs" in a stew!

So, something exciting while waiting for the latest grow to ... grow up!

Back
Top Bottom