Alternative lighting schedule idea

Yeah but everything we use and cultivate we've been fidgeting with it for thousands of years as well.
For sure but it's pretty impossible to "fidget" with the sun's natural cycle and output.. Lol! Cheers!

Been tested, doesn't work.
Edison tested his light bulb a hundred times with a result of "it doesn't work." Until he found a way it did work.

Plants have adapted for thousands of years to the sun's light cycle. We try to replicate optimal environmental measures indoors. Let's not change that!
If that is the case then you should not use 18/6. The Alaskan land strains naturally grow under 24 hour of light in the summer. Acapulco gold naturally grows near the equator so days are nearly 12 hours long year round. What is the optimum natural grow condition for Alaskan gold? Hybridization throws a wrench into thousands of years of adaptation. Not to mention humans brought those original seeds to those extremes in the first place

The plants only has a set amount of photons it can synthesize and tolerate in 24h
Yes,,,, but the goal is to achieve optimum DLI. Photosynthesis is a cycle consisting of (day light) exothermic photo reaction and the (night) calvin, synthesis reaction. As long as the plant has more CO2, water, and light than it can react, the limiting factor is ATP storage, produced from the light reaction. This is why leaves are generally less productive after 6 hours of light reducing DLI. The calvin cycle converts ATP into glucose that can be transported out of the leaf, making room for more ATP production and storage. The calvin cycle is partially active on the bottom side of leaves during the day but, it is the leaves primary action at night. So under the right conditions, with the right genetics, you could, in theory, optimize DLI with lighting time manipulation.

Edison tested his light bulb a hundred times with a result of "it doesn't work." Until he found a way it did work.

If that is the case then you should not use 18/6. The Alaskan land strains naturally grow under 24 hour of light in the summer. Acapulco gold naturally grows near the equator so days are nearly 12 hours long year round. What is the optimum natural grow condition for Alaskan gold? Hybridization throws a wrench into thousands of years of adaptation. Not to mention humans brought those original seeds to those extremes in the first place

Yes,,,, but the goal is to achieve optimum DLI. Photosynthesis is a cycle consisting of (day light) exothermic photo reaction and the (night) calvin, synthesis reaction. As long as the plant has more CO2, water, and light than it can react, the limiting factor is ATP storage, produced from the light reaction. This is why leaves are generally less productive after 6 hours of light reducing DLI. The calvin cycle converts ATP into glucose that can be transported out of the leaf, making room for more ATP production and storage. The calvin cycle is partially active on the bottom side of leaves during the day but, it is the leaves primary action at night. So under the right conditions, with the right genetics, you could, in theory, optimize DLI with lighting time manipulation.
Sorry for being vague, I'll try to explain it better for you. We replicate natural environmental factors in a CONTROLLED environment indoors, meaning not natural. I try to give the advice to go by plant response and not numbers and DLI ranges are just recommendations and not a set rule.

This is self explanatory and I don't really get the point you're trying to make? Cheers!

that's better. gas lantern is a complicated answer to a problem that no longer exists. it was intended as a way of saving power costs when we were stuck using ancient hid tech.

there's better ways and equipment now.

If that is the case then you should not use 18/6. The Alaskan land strains naturally grow under 24 hour of light in the summer.

an alaskan landrace ? never heard of one. the 24hrs of sunlight occurs so far north the ground temp is not sufficient for most things.

it is true in populated areas it never fully sets, but hangs about 6degrees above the horizon, much like a perpetual dawn / dusk, but the full days are much longer.

alaska has fantastic greenhouse period though. growing temps become a factor.

edit : much further north is where it's 24/hrs light, 24 hrs dark on a 6 month basis. anchorage has closer to more normal days. the longest day in anchorage is 19hrs. placing it closer to an 18/6 light schedule.

Acapulco gold naturally grows near the equator so days are nearly 12 hours long year round. What is the optimum natural grow condition for Alaskan gold? Hybridization throws a wrench into thousands of years of adaptation. Not to mention humans brought those original seeds to those extremes in the first place

pretty much anything grown outdoor there is a hybrid by definition.

edit : am i the only one fighting with the quotes lol ... some of my posts are doubling up too. sorry for the mess

This is self explanatory and I don't really get the point you're trying to make?
yep, think I misinterpreted what you were trying to say. I read it as we all use 18/6 and 12/12 because that replicates nature. My point was the plant naturally grows all over the world and not everywhere has those light schedules.

an alaskan landrace ? never heard of one.
Some called it Alaskan ditch weed cause that is where it grew, next to the road. Others called it Alaskan thunder fucked. It is a direct descendant of the Siberian land strain species ruderalis. If you have grown or smoked an auto flower it in the past you have had Alaskan/Siberian without knowing it. The auto flower trait comes from hybrid crossing with ruderalis. Also why autos are good with near 24hours of light.

pretty much anything grown outdoor there is a hybrid by definition.
Because it will most likely be crossed with neighbors bag seed plants? lol. Or are you saying there is a hybrid for every grow condition you may live in? In doors or out doors does not define hybrid. Cross pollinating two plants that are from different species( indica, sativa, ruderalis) or strain (Durban, Acapulco) creates a hybrid seed.

Because it will most likely be crossed with neighbors bag seed plants? lol. Or are you saying there is a hybrid for every grow condition you may live in? In doors or out doors does not define hybrid. Cross pollinating two plants that are from different species( indica, sativa, ruderalis) or strain (Durban, Acapulco) creates a hybrid seed.

landraces are genetically distinct. it's what makes them landraces. landraces take a couple generations or more in human time in the wild with no human intervention to emerge.

ATF is a hybrid strain developed originally in northern california, though more likely bc in canada due to climate, in the mid - late 80's. it went north from there.

like all northern strains it has afghan indica, thai sativa, another sativa that escapes me right now, possibly acapulco gold, and ruderalis. the sativa lends the effects, and the afghan and ruderalis help it cope with the northern climate.

it's related to northern lights and possibly skunk which both have a similar profile, save for the ruderalis. none are landraces.

edit : there are one or two seedbanks in BC with access to original ATF genetics still.

landraces are genetically distinct. it's what makes them landraces. landraces take a couple generations or more in human time in the wild with no human intervention to emerge.

ATF is a hybrid strain developed originally in northern california, though more likely bc in canada due to climate, in the mid - late 80's. it went north from there.

like all northern strains it has afghan indica, thai sativa, another sativa that escapes me right now, possibly acapulco gold, and ruderalis. the sativa lends the effects, and the afghan and ruderalis help it cope with the northern climate.

it's related to northern lights and possibly skunk which both have a similar profile, save for the ruderalis. none are landraces.

edit : there are one or two seedbanks in BC with access to original ATF genetics still.
Is MJ from Peak still in business bluter? Really liked his Skunkberry and C99

Took a minute to figure out what you were talking bought. Land strains are the plants that just grow wild in a particular area. We never had official names, just nick names and where they grew wild. We are talking bought two different plants that have the same name. LOL
The name Thunder fuck/Alaskan ditch weed goes back to the 60s but who knows how long it has been growing there. It is almost genetic identical to Siberian land strain. When my uncle ran out of weed truck driving he would pick it off the side of the road and dry it under the hood. Smooth as thunder and tasted like fuck all. But you would catch a buzz and it would get you down the road. First time I was offered good thunder fuck I told them no. Good and thunder fuck don't belong in the same sentence. That's when I found out they barrowed an old "name" for a newer strain. Just like kush. Kush was what you called any sativa. Now it seems to be any hybrid that originated from California.

Is MJ from Peak still in business bluter? Really liked his Skunkberry and C99

i assumed so but when i think about it i really don't know. his aesthetic is all over their stuff.

The name Thunder fuck/Alaskan ditch weed goes back to the 60s but who knows how long it has been growing there. It is almost genetic identical to Siberian land strain.

interdasting.

the russian version really doesn't carry any thc. i'm guessing it might be a hybrid developed by 60's draft dodgers maybe ? i'm curious over it's origin.

the only other way it could have got there is over the land / ice bridge from siberia way back in antiquity with the people that became native americans. that would be really cool.

in that instance it would definitely qualify as landrace. there's no history of natives here ever having used it, though.

i'm sure it could be genetically traced. researchers have traced cannabis compounds and genes previous.

When my uncle ran out of weed truck driving he would pick it off the side of the road and dry it under the hood. Smooth as thunder and tasted like fuck all. But you would catch a buzz and it would get you down the road. First time I was offered good thunder fuck I told them no. Good and thunder fuck don't belong in the same sentence. That's when I found out they barrowed an old "name" for a newer strain.

yeah, atf is a pile more powerful.

Just like kush. Kush was what you called any sativa. Now it seems to be any hybrid that originated from California.

sativa is a very old name. near biblical.

afghan itself didn't start out as a strain name, it was literally the place it came from. it's a landrace.
afghan used to be grown and all through afghanistan to pakistan. it was trafficked all through africa to morrocco and often hashed.

kush as a name is relatively recent and was first misused as a strain name in north america. it's the exact same strain as afghan. the hindu kush valley is where it got the name, the plant is ubiquitous there. they are identical.

they are both pure indica. not sativa. they are at the root of most of the best "new" strains. they anchor a lot of hybrids. oddly they are in a lot of sativa dominant hybrids.

Hell, even the word sativa meant " to cultivate" before we stuck it to a certain species. Ironically appropriate as cannabis is one of the oldest cultivated plants.
That old alaskan was maybe 2% at the most so you chain smoked it. What else have you got to do OTR driving through the middle of nowhere. He would pull onto the shoulder, stretch his legs before he called it a night. Said 50% of the time he would spot it within 100 foot from where he parked. They started spraying ditches in the early 80s so it wasn't worth the risk of smoking it anymore if you could find it.

For sure but it's pretty impossible to "fidget" with the sun's natural cycle and output.. Lol! Cheers!
Yeah but we're kinda doing that too.... have you seen homes, cities and roads? :) they are not dark at night.. (which actually is a pita as light pollution wreaks havoc on the environment and people's psyche, because we're fidgeting with our light cycle and I'd say even because we're not humbled anymore by the night sky, you take a city slicker to a bortle 1 or 2 site for the first time in their life and they are completely gobsmacked)

Very few places left where you can stand on the planet and look deep into the cosmos naked eye, if it's dark and clear enough you actually get to see colour naked eye as the stars are all different colours, and there's red & green & purply heus you get to see nebula and clusters and galaxies all naked eye or just with a good bino.

Why am I on this tangent? ah light! yes we've been fudging with light & it's cycles as well :)

Heck they grow rhubarb in the dark in the UK because it makes it extra sweet and grow pretty fast or sumtin..

Back
Top Bottom