Antics Perpetual Learning Experience

HAHAHA im dying over here! Step by step idiots guide...LMFAO I swear that's me to a T!

You sound like a damn engineer when it comes to LSTing lol Some genius ideas you got there! Especially since ive notice marks on my stems from my tie downs. Brilliant!

Sounds like everything ive read about it. Your doing everything according to others procedures as well. Im with you, I don't want grass or hay taste! HAHA so funny man. Im most worried about this part as well. You do 3 months or so of making love to them, then you try to cure em just right and not get what you were expecting, ill be hot! lol Love your journal. Very helpful. Kinda using it as a guideline to growing lol thanks man, everything looks amazing. Ready to see buds!!!!!

LOL I'm serious though man!

I'd like to find a guide to drying and curing. Step by step. That tells you in 12 hour increments how the bud will feel, look, smell, etc..

But I also understand it's difficult to do that, when everyones drying environment varies, and bud sizes vary. A guy that's growing 3 ounce colas isn't going to be the best person to write a guide on how to dry my smaller nugs lol

The good part, is even if it smells like grass or hay, it will still give you the desired effects.

I'll do a little writeup tomorrow on how I do my LST, step by step. That way you can either use it, or maybe it'll give you new ideas on how to make my method even better. Or it might even inspire your own method to LST. I'll take pictures of everything for you, and try to show a step by step on everything from start to finish.

I must agree with you and toot my own horn here too. My journals are awesome! I make LOTS of great mistakes that others can learn from LOL :rofl::rofl::rofl:

haha killin me over here! im right there with ya, a step by step in 12 hr increments would be perfect. And for that person who is growing 3 oz colas, how did you get there?!?! lol

Good to know potency will still be good, but like most, I want full quality all around. I didn't baby them for months to smoke fresh cut grass. lol

That would be awesome of you to do a step by step guide for dummies like me lol seriously, looking forward to it! Thanks brother

Have you looked into Boveda humidity packs? I fully intend to order these and use them during curing. They absorb or release humidity to keep it at a constant 69% humidity.

Really?? haven't heard of this. So your telling me that you wont have to burp your jars as much or worry about drying to fast or too slow?

Alright, here's my step by step guide on how I do my LST.

First, I use craft ribbon. It's approximately 1/2 cm wide, or about 1/8"

I cut several different lengths, which typically vary between 8"/20cm to about 18"/40cm. Depending on the type of training you're doing you may need some longer or shorter, so cut them as you go the first time, and the next time you use them you'll usually be able to find the right length.

The particular one I'm using here is about 14"/35cm. I use standard paperclips, in the small and large sizes. The one I'll be using is small.
IMG_20150514_083337_440.jpg

Next, we tie a knot at one end. Tie it tight so the ribbon doesn't slip back and forth in the knot. You'll want to leave a little extra to work with, and you can trim it later, or just leave it like I did. You'll also want to try to keep the loop as flat as possible, so there's more surface area in contact with the branch.
IMG_20150514_083432_450.jpg

Drape the ribbon over the branch approximately where you want it held down. Everything after the tie down point will grow upwards in an arc naturally.
IMG_20150514_083529_335.jpg

Insert the cut end into the loop like so
IMG_20150514_083602_410.jpg

Pull gently on the cut end, while holding the loop in place to take up the slack
IMG_20150514_083648_685.jpg

Keep pulling until it's just about snug against the branch, but still has a little space
IMG_20150514_083715_222.jpg

Gently pull downward on the cut end, the rest of the slack in the loop will take care of itself.
IMG_20150514_083740_812.jpg

At this point you'll see how easy it is to adjust the branch height by just giving the ribbon a gentle pull downward.
IMG_20150514_083816_497.jpg

Now, grab your paperclip!
IMG_20150514_083858_089.jpg

The small part of the paperclip will be on the inside of the pot. The paperclip should be oriented in a way that the ends of the wire both point up.
IMG_20150514_083926_206.jpg

Now while holding the ribbon against the side of the pot, start sliding the paperclip onto the pot, making sure the ribbon ends up parallel to the paperclip wire.
IMG_20150514_084025_263.jpg

Push the paperclip all the way down, while still holding the ribbon straight and flat against the pot. Then let go.
The natural springyness in the paperclip might cause it to creep up a little, but that's fine.
IMG_20150514_084056_609.jpg

Now all you need to do to make adjustments is grab the cut end of the ribbon, and pull down gently.
IMG_20150514_084116_814.jpg

Always gently, and always watch the length of the branch, specifically where it meets the main stem. You don't want to bend the branches too much, too soon.
IMG_20150514_084132_876.jpg

When you have the branch where you want it, release the end of the ribbon, and you're finished.
IMG_20150514_084204_524.jpg

Providing your branches are still pliable, you'll be able to set up the ribbon once every 5-7 days, and just pull down slightly to make adjustments as needed. You can just as easily pull upward on less dominant branches to bring them closer to the light, and give them a better chance to grow.

If there's a sudden growth spurt, the loop should allow the branch to expand without making any impressions. Instead, the energy of expanding the loop should be absorbed by the branch simply pulling itself down. If too much tension exists, like a branch is too mature, thick, or stiff to be LST'ed this way, it will just spring back into place, and shouldn't damage anything.

The only problem I have experienced using this method, is pulling down too soon on younger branches will break them, but that can happen with any method of LST.

Hope this helps someone!

Any questions?

I really like the ribbon and the loop to secure it to the branch. I fell like there might be something better to use on the pot edge to replace the paperclip, but I cant think of anything right now. The paperclip should work well on smart pots as well.

Because of the fluxing, I am using plastic coated garden wire that is rigid. I just create a hook on one end and then bend the other around the laundry basket to secure it in place. I don't really like my technique though as it makes for a lot of cutting and re-cutting to get the right size wire that I need.

There 58 is cannabis specific.

I have used these, they work very well. I would suggest you go with 62%, I started with the 69% but I think the 62% is better.

It looks like all they make now is the 69%.. but maybe I missed it. They also claim that Cannabis' ideal cure is at 72% humidity...

Google boveda 58. They come up. I barely use them but I have. My cure closets are very dialed in so a humidor bag is mute in my situation.

My wash area holds 20 lbs my drying closets hold about 15 and my cure cabinet about 13. If you use mason jars pull from hanging at appropriate time trim jar and place in cool dark place boveda is a un necessary overhead. If your pot gets over dried there a life saver.

Back
Top Bottom