Antics Perpetual Learning Experience

Smoking some of the Strawberry Blue now, it's been curing about a week and a half now, still doesn't seem like my dry/cure is perfected.

I'll have to work on that, but the potency is still definitely there.

Now it's time to get some shit together for dinner. Chicken kabobs on the grill.

Oh! Yesterday was the 11 year anniversary with the g/f, I gave her a choice of going out to eat anywhere she wanted, or eat at home. It's a nice compliment when she would prefer to eat at home.

We did some Aged Angus strip steaks, along with some sirloin kabobs, with buttered mashed potatoes, and fresh green beans, pan friend in a little butter. I'll have to upload a pic of the steak and kabobs later this evening, shit was just unbelievably good. I haven't had a steak that good in any restaurants around here.

Cheers until later ladies and gents!

Nah no canna butter unfortunately. But it was still really good.

I do prefer my meat well done. But I prefer the term "Char the shit out of it". For my money, nothing beats a steak with a nice flame grilled and charred outside, with a well-done, but juicy inside. And I HAVE tried meat in all levels from medium to well, and I just prefer it well done. (I know chefs hate hearing that lol)

And of course I forgot to take pictures of the chicken kabobs. They were decent though. Greek marinade, chicken, red onion, green pepper, and grilled like a mofo.

Happy Anniversary! (pretend like I said that yesterday lol) That dinner looked wonderful.

Subscribed Antics, I'll head back and thumb through your journal so I can get myself up to speed.

Exactly. I was freaking amazed how good everything turned out. We usually watch TV while we eat dinner, not that day, TV was on pause and we just kept going back and forth about the steak and kabobs. And it couldn't have come together on a better day :thumb:

Happy Anniversary! (pretend like I said that yesterday lol) That dinner looked wonderful.

Thanks! It really was, the mashed potatoes and green beans went well with the steak and kabobs, but they'd just take away from the plate of grilled meat. It was more expensive than going out to eat, @ $20 a steak, but was well worth it in my opinion. I haven't had a better steak anywhere, ever.

Save me some leftovers. .. if there are any haha

Unfortunately not :( a 12 ounce steak only goes so far. I could go for more of it myself.

Subscribed Antics, I'll head back and thumb through your journal so I can get myself up to speed.

Welcome aboard brother! There have been a lot of ups and downs, but it's been a fun journey so far.

After a bit of thought from a few ideas tossed around by you folks, I decided to take BB out of the big pot. She's not performing, she doesn't deserve the space.

SB #2 and BB are both in the Veg cabinet for now, and CC and SB #1 are in the closet under the LED, under 18/6 currently.

SB clone #1 will be flowered in the 6-7gal pot, Cotton Candy is going to be in the other 6-7 gal pot. BB, and SB #2 will be flowered in 1 gallon pots.

SB #1 had some crazy roots growing out of the bottom, and to deny a happy plant additional space would just be wrong.

Transplant was a cake walk, no problems at all, and I now have her LST set up again.

IMG_20150513_131220_678.jpg

IMG_20150513_132148_299.jpg

This will also be a cool way to compare my SB yields from coco (although I had some problems there with PH), and a SB clone in a 6-7gal vs a SB in a 1 gal.

SB #1 had some crazy roots growing out of the bottom, and to deny a happy plant additional space would just be wrong.

Transplant was a cake walk, no problems at all, and I now have her LST set up again.

IMG_20150513_131220_678.jpg

IMG_20150513_132148_299.jpg

I really like the way the LST took shape in the bigger pot. Very symmetrical. I hope she knocks your socks off one day. :)

I really like the way the LST took shape in the bigger pot. Very symmetrical. I hope she knocks your socks off one day. :)

As long as I don't end up killing her, I know she will :D She's a clone from the Strawberry Blue I just harvested. Such a fantastic Sativa high from that strain. Nice potency, nice aroma, and a decent smoke. I think you're going to be impressed when you harvest your SB, I definitely was :)

As long as I don't end up killing her, I know she will :D She's a clone from the Strawberry Blue I just harvested. Such a fantastic Sativa high from that strain. Nice potency, nice aroma, and a decent smoke. I think you're going to be impressed when you harvest your SB, I definitely was :)

This is what I like to hear. :)

This is what I like to hear. :)

I don't know if you saw me mention it before, but I have mine curing now, and between my girlfriend and I, we were able to come to an agreement that it has a subtle smell of iced coffee at the container seal while it's curing. I can't stop smelling it :)

lol.. Nice. Im really hoping for a strawberry flavor. I really dont like coffee at all, however, I do like the smell of fresh brewed coffee. :)

Im gonna have to try LSTing the way you have. Your getting such nice spreads. Loving the new home. Looks great brother.

What drying/curing process are you using? I started going through a ton of your pages but you have SOOOO many to find such a small topic lol But I did try lol

lol.. Nice. Im really hoping for a strawberry flavor. I really dont like coffee at all, however, I do like the smell of fresh brewed coffee. :)

Well I personally didn't notice any strawberry when smoking, and my girlfriend didn't notice it when she vaped. The flavor could very well be there, but I might not have a well enough trained palate to notice it. I'll be curious to see what you think when you have yours finished up, but it definitely doesn't taste like coffee when smoked, at least I didn't think so lol.

Im gonna have to try LSTing the way you have. Your getting such nice spreads. Loving the new home. Looks great brother.

What drying/curing process are you using? I started going through a ton of your pages but you have SOOOO many to find such a small topic lol But I did try lol

Thanks man! In my growing journey, LST is one thing I think I got a handle on fairly quickly. My preferred LST system just uses craft ribbon and paper clips. Lengths of ribbon have a loop tied on one end with a square knot, so the knot itself is stationary. I run the ribbon around the branch, putting the free end through the loop I tied, snug it to the branch, and use the paperclip to secure it on the edge of the pot.
I use this adjustable loop/ribbon method so if the branch grows while the ribbon is in place, the ribbon looped around the branch can expand and not cut into the branch. I have never once seen any impressions on my branches. I'll take a picture tomorrow if I remember, but the ribbon is then slid under one side of the paperclip, so the whole length of it holds as much tension as possible against the pot.

But if you don't start early enough, or the branches get stiffer, the paperclips won't hold as well if you try to bend them too much. And just today as I closed the doors, I heard one paperclip pop off lol. But I'll fix that one up tomorrow.

As for drying and curing, I've tried a few variations with canning jars, hygrometers, hanging in the same room as the grow, and hanging in a box.

The first few ended up too dry. The problem it seems for me, is that I don't understand when people are describing the branch snap, and the slightly dry bud feeling. If I wait until branches snap clean, it's wayyyy too dry. I then tried waiting until branches cracked when bent, but didn't snap clean, and that was still a little too dry.

On this time around, I waited until buds started feeling crispy. But when I bent the stems, they just folded, with no snap. But I went ahead into curing anyways. I had some sweating after a few hours, so I'd pop open the lid for a few minutes, wipe off the moisture, then close it back up.

Humidity in the container was holding at about 62%. The past week it dropped to just above 60%, so I opened it up, and moved all the buds around, buds on top on bottom, and buds in middle mixed between top and bottom. RH went back up to 62%% and held for a few days, dropped again to 59%, stirred up all the buds again, today as a matter of fact, and it's holding at 60% even right now. Buds were moved around about 5 hours ago.

Everything SEEMS to be going according to what I've read, but when my girlfriend described the flavor when she vaped the SB, she said it was like the freshest cut grass she ever smelled. Which to me sounds wicked bad.. I don't want grass or hay lol.

When I open the container it smells piney, has a bit of the smell I'd get from bags I used to buy, but also has a hint of grass/hay smell too.

The drying and curing process has been the most difficult thing for me to master.

My room is always 68-70 F in the summer. 45-50% RH. no fan ever blowing directly on the buds, and I still get some lame results. I know I'll get a handle on it eventually, but in the meantime it's a little annoying. Decent grows, ok yields, and bud that never smells the way it should after drying and curing.

I think what I need, is a step by step idiot's guide or something. I've tried following along various dry/cure posts, but the terms "stem snap" and "crispy on the outside" seem to be relative terms.

But one day I'll get it mastered..

Back
Top Bottom