Anyone still using HPs?

@PsillyRabbit Some may say so, but I would say they are comparable now days.

If you don't buy from one of our sponsor make sure they company has a good customer service; buy I would suggest one of our sponsors. You will get a 420 Magazine discount and sales reps are normally active members, and easy to contact if you have a question or a problem.

And, I am guessing you will enjoy having a dramatic decrease in heat, if you decided to go LED.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,
Tok..

i have a T5, a 250 watt and a 600 w HID. they are in the closet but are not being used. i am getting used to my LEDs (three xx2000 lights in a row). i'm keeping the HIDs until i grow 1/2 as much weight with the LEDs. the plan is to jump up to one xx5000 light. i started with fluros waaaay back when. we've come a long way

I've been trying some LEDs and they just don't cut it. Ended up putting my 1000w HPS back into my flower tent, within an hour they looked so happy, like they were just fed...and i still haven't seen buds like this from an LED...only mother nature compares...

The problem is in the translation fudging the numbers. Like comparing house LED to incandescent bulbs they rate in equivalence. A 1000wat LED is in theory comparable to a 1000wat HPS but actually draws 100wats. A 1000 series LED is closer to the effectiveness of a 400wat HPS grow. Assuming you are using a quality LED light, actual consumption should be 25% of the HPS consumption for the same results.

I gave away my HPS and MH years ago. Less power, less heat, and I can use multiple LED to get an even canopy of light. Instead of a couple giant colas, I get 30+ big ones now. More total yield with lower operating cost.

The problem is in the translation fudging the numbers. Like comparing house LED to incandescent bulbs they rate in equivalence. A 1000wat LED is in theory comparable to a 1000wat HPS but actually draws 100wats. A 1000 series LED is closer to the effectiveness of a 400wat HPS grow. Assuming you are using a quality LED light, actual consumption should be 25% of the HPS consumption for the same results.

I gave away my HPS and MH years ago. Less power, less heat, and I can use multiple LED to get an even canopy of light. Instead of a couple giant colas, I get 30+ big ones now. More total yield with lower operating cost.

I hear ya :passitleft:but people like what they like :lot-o-toke: as I said, I have tried the LEDs, didn't like them :hmmmm: seemed to be adding extra cal-mag left and right, well more than usual...but I don't have a problem with heat, and I'm running 3- 400 watt HPS "Cool Tubes" back to back in a 4x8 and been running scrogs for some time...But, as they say one persons trash is anothers treasure, for lack of a better metaphor... :snowboating:

I hear ya :passitleft:but people like what they like :lot-o-toke: as I said, I have tried the LEDs, didn't like them :hmmmm: seemed to be adding extra cal-mag left and right, well more than usual...but I don't have a problem with heat, and I'm running 3- 400 watt HPS "Cool Tubes" back to back in a 4x8 and been running scrogs for some time...But, as they say one persons trash is anothers treasure, for lack of a better metaphor... :snowboating:

Where you are at and how the room is set has a lot to do with what works for each grow. There is no one size fits all solution. My old lights work great in my uncles converter bathroom turned grow room. I had out dated 30A electric service, high cal mag water, 110 deg summer heat and I wanted a bigger room. Built the new room and used LED as temporary lights. Upgraded the house to 200A service, went out to buy more HPS, vents, fans, and bigger AC. Came home with more LED to experiment with. Reminded me how much fun experimenting was when I moved indoors 30 years ago.

How long ago did you try LEDs? The older and even the current cheaper ones don't have enough IR. Cal mag is a mobile mineral. Low heat or low IR photosynthesis will slow the mobility process indicating a deficiency. I use 120 advertises wats, 12 actual wats per square foot. Of that 20% is IR.

biggest disadvantage to hid is the restrictions. they are slowly being made illegal due to environment reasons. in canada there is time limit on producing and selling sealed bulbs. a bit like gas powered cars.

Where you are at and how the room is set has a lot to do with what works for each grow. There is no one size fits all solution. My old lights work great in my uncles converter bathroom turned grow room. I had out dated 30A electric service, high cal mag water, 110 deg summer heat and I wanted a bigger room. Built the new room and used LED as temporary lights. Upgraded the house to 200A service, went out to buy more HPS, vents, fans, and bigger AC. Came home with more LED to experiment with. Reminded me how much fun experimenting was when I moved indoors 30 years ago.

How long ago did you try LEDs? The older and even the current cheaper ones don't have enough IR. Cal mag is a mobile mineral. Low heat or low IR photosynthesis will slow the mobility process indicating a deficiency. I use 120 advertises wats, 12 actual wats per square foot. Of that 20% is IR.
I personally think it's how determined a person is. I started in a 12x12 room with 3 tents and 4 HIDs...a 4x8 that had 1- 1000 watt HPS and a 600 watt HPS...a 4x4 that had a 600 watt HPS ...and a small 2.5 x 6 with a 400 watt MH...never had a problem...And I live in Missouri where it was over a hundred degrees for several weeks...and in a house that was built in 1898...

I would need to win the lottery before trying LED's ;)

Using a 600w MH/HPS with a 42" parabolic reflector in roughly a 4' x 4' area.

The light I Do Have My Eyes on is ~ $1000.

For personal consumption at the rate I smoke that's hard to justify....

Day 33 The Girls 27 Sept.jpg

Cheers

I personally think it's how determined a person is. I started in a 12x12 room with 3 tents and 4 HIDs...a 4x8 that had 1- 1000 watt HPS and a 600 watt HPS...a 4x4 that had a 600 watt HPS ...and a small 2.5 x 6 with a 400 watt MH...never had a problem...And I live in Missouri where it was over a hundred degrees for several weeks...and in a house that was built in 1898...

So you understand hot humid summers and cold wet winters too neighbor! LOL. If you don't like the season just wait 2 weeks. I used HID for decades and still love the way they grow. The plants and buds were defiantly heftier with HID. With LED the main cola is smaller but the secondary buds are bigger. When you look at the whole setup required, LED are cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, and you gain some head room with shorter light distances. 6 inch exhaust fan and a small 6 inch space heater keeps the room at 80 deg year round. The AC unit I used to cool the room with my HID tents used more power than all the lights in both of my grow rooms now and no dedicated AC required anymore.

I tried growing hydro back in the 80s. Killed dozens of plants before before deciding it was just not worth the effort. Knowledge and technology improved. Now I only grow hydro. Point is what isn't for you today may be perfect tomorrow. Keep an open mind. It's all abought improving your craft and having fun.

So you understand hot humid summers and cold wet winters too neighbor! LOL. If you don't like the season just wait 2 weeks. I used HID for decades and still love the way they grow. The plants and buds were defiantly heftier with HID. With LED the main cola is smaller but the secondary buds are bigger. When you look at the whole setup required, LED are cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, and you gain some head room with shorter light distances. 6 inch exhaust fan and a small 6 inch space heater keeps the room at 80 deg year round. The AC unit I used to cool the room with my HID tents used more power than all the lights in both of my grow rooms now and no dedicated AC required anymore.

I tried growing hydro back in the 80s. Killed dozens of plants before before deciding it was just not worth the effort. Knowledge and technology improved. Now I only grow hydro. Point is what isn't for you today may be perfect tomorrow. Keep an open mind. It's all abought improving your craft and having fun.
I hear ya, it was 98 a couple days ago and now, at almost 10am, it's 57 :hmmmm:...Missouri, 1 of the few places you can experience all 4 seasons in a week :rofl: ...I've only been growing since '07, after I retired, but I have tried just about every way of growing...I only do an organic ROLS now...same with my veggie garden...just switched about a year ago from FF Nutrients and some Mega Crop, and my plants love it, and it's much easier to take care of...Peace Brutha :snowboating:

I think if you leave the efficiency/spectrum/heat debate out and look at individual growing styles the HID vs. LED gets interesting.

I still belive that HID when they are mounted up high, growing plants naturally (not topped or topped sparingly lower branches intact with space in between works better than LED. The yield is a larger main or mains if topped. This would also apply to auto's.

SCROG type grows where everything is kept relatively level due to topping/training so you can place the fixture close to the canopy LED's are the way to go. Bud sites are increased so the result is smaller more uniform flowering. Overall the weight of the grows are similar.

Personally I live in a prohibited state so discretion is key and I only grow for myself. 4 plants in a 4'X4' is enough for my personal usage for a year. I try for a level canopy and prefer to deal with more uniform flowering for storage, mold and freshness issues. Large cola's are not my primary goal. The flip side, is that if it were legal I would be running a setup more like what moca has going on in a much larger tent to let the plants showcase their full genetic potential while still only growing 3-4 plants at a time.

Just my 2 cents on it.

Back
Top Bottom