Aurora Indica - Indoor - Soil - LED - Grow

early in my leaning curve, i did aurora. and, you seem to have gotten way more than i did, i did not pinch, being told not to. so, how did you get yours to fill out so well? i would get mostly a single big cola, 1.75 oz per plant. in a four gal, soiless. i have never been a big yielder. lights, nutes, ph, size of container, does not ever seem to make a diff. perhaps i need to get more aggrssive, on the prepping in veg.

early in my leaning curve, i did aurora. and, you seem to have gotten way more than i did, i did not pinch, being told not to. so, how did you get yours to fill out so well? i would get mostly a single big cola, 1.75 oz per plant. in a four gal, soiless. i have never been a big yielder. lights, nutes, ph, size of container, does not ever seem to make a diff. perhaps i need to get more aggrssive, on the prepping in veg.

All I did was FIM at the 4th node and then again on all nodes a couple weeks later. After that it's stayed bushy like that, and did not really take off too much during initial flowering. It did end up vegging pretty long and got plenty of nutes. Stic
Still tho... 1.75 oz x 4 is nice! That hopefully lasts you a little while :)

Just returned from a week away and thanks to a big soak before, no issues at all with the big lady.
Looks like things are getting close though. Incredibly, santa left me a USB microscope which i plan to test out later tonight or tomorrow.
I'll post pictures once I get it figured out, but my gut says one more plain waterring/flushing and we're probably ready for harvest!

Snapped some pictures and tried to really show how bleached some of the tops are. The AdvancedLED light is damn strong, but i think i have a fair idea of the sweet spot (about 20 inches). Trial and error... At least i'll get to judge for myself if consuming albino bud is worth it.

the sugar leaves on the main colas are drying up a bit. Not sure if this is just due to ripening or if the close proximity to the light has anything to do with it. Input appreciated!

The center colas with mount bud in the background.
IMG_70005.JPG

The double headed bud where the stem broke right before flowering.
IMG_70028.JPG

Biggest non-albino top.
IMG_70017.JPG

The whole thing!
IMG_69987.JPG

Flowering: Day 72

Alright! Played with the microscope a bit, but damn it's hard to hold still enough to get a clear picture.
I'll have to rig up something better...

Anyways, based on what i see, most trichs are cloudy. I'm planning on waiting until a fair amt turn amber before chopping her down. Not sure how much longer, maybe a couple weeks?

Timing wise it would work out ok. I have 3 plants waiting to get into the tent :)

2015-12-28-160237_1.jpg

2015-12-28-161053.jpg

-Chef

Flowering Day 78.

Not sure the best way to get a closeup view of the trichs. I cut one of the sugar leaves off on of the big colas so I could get it under the microscope. Here is what I see:

vlcsnap-2016-01-03-11h22m35s157.png

Looks like some amber but mostly cloudy to me. Should I let her run another couple weeks?
It's hard to notice much of a difference from last weekend. Nirvana says 7-9 weeks to flower, but I'm on week 12 right now. (NFW this was ready at week 7 though!)
Any input from more experienced growers would be appreciated!

-Chef

Chef - I'm thinking you got about a week or so left. Not much more. I can see the trichomes on that leaf and quite a few are amber.

My understanding is the more amber, the heavier the high - more sleepy and sedated type of high. You can go as longer as you'd like but most people I've read go from 25% to 75% amber and then they harvest. It also varies by strain. Sativa's typically take longer to flower and for trichomes to turn amber. I don't think you want them all amber.

If I recall, amber trichomes mean they are at their peak and starting their decline so 100% amber would probably mean its past the prime.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Golfer. I'm in line with what you're saying. Since this is mostly a night time med, amber is good :)
I may shoot for 50% amber or so. (Seems like about 10% right now) Hopefully inspecting the sugar leaf is good enough rather than the buds themselves. It's just so much easier to get it under the microscope.
Saw some other threads here where Aurora ran 13-14 weeks so at least it sounds to be right on schedule.

I think i'm done feeding her though. Plain water only from hereon out.

-Chef

Flowering day 84. Outlook cloudy with an amber alert :)

Gave her another plain watering in the beginning of the week.
Dragged the lady out of the tent today and tried to get some good pics. The microscope pics are a not the best, but you can still see the color of the trichs. My estimate is about 25% amber. it's hard to say for sure and all buds are not the same.
Take a look at what you see though and please let me know your advise!. Either I start chopping today or I have to wait another week... Doesn't matter much i guess but I have 3 vegging tenants looking to occupy the tent.

Lots of pictures!

IMG_70077.JPG

3 tops!
IMG_70069.JPG

IMG_700511.JPG

Microscope pics:
vlcsnap-2016-01-09-15h12m19s906.png

vlcsnap-2016-01-09-15h11m51s739.png

vlcsnap-2016-01-09-15h11m36s098.png

-Chef

i grew that strain. good one. i am envious of yours, tho. i have never been able to get any yeild on anything i grow. quality is good. but, no matter what i do, lights, pot size, nutes, i get a max, of two ounces per plant. with my aurira, i got 1.75. but, after 8 years, im trying to start pinching. something has to help.......nice plants.

Thanks Cannilingus! 2 oz is not shabby though, specially if it's premium bud for your own use.
The only thing i could think of is maybe pH balance? I was careful to get the nutes pH just right. Too high or too low will affect the uptake of the plant. Also temperatures and airflow. I'm a n00b myself though, so not sure what advice I can offer a seasoned grower.
I do grow a lot of vegetables though, so maybe there is something to be said about that. Tomatoes are very similar to cannabis and are fun and rewarding to grow. Try some heirloom varieties like black krim :)

-Chef

So I started chopping and trimming, but maybe got 1/4 (probably less) done.
Snapped a few pictures to go along with it. The microscope shots turned out ok too. A still bud on the table is a lot easier to capture!

I didn't bother tracking weight yet. I expect to be able to share that when it's dry enough, hopefully by next weekend.

Main cola:
IMG_70108.JPG

After a haircut
IMG_70128.JPG

Todays effort
IMG_70119.JPG

Top of the albino cola. Very cool to look at up close!
vlcsnap-2016-01-09-16h43m47s320.png

Hung out to dry...
IMG_70148.JPG

Hoping to finish the rest tomorrow but it's a lot of work for one guy, especially with football playoffs at the same time :)

-Chef

looks like maybe a bit too much nutes. when they are young, they are tender. i remember my a.i was the same. afphis genes dont like alot of nutes. now, my god bud, its hard as heck to burn. on the other hand, my full moon, from nirvana, i burnt, just by reusing soil soiless, that had been flushed well! had to flush her again.

Back
Top Bottom