Bassman59's 1st Grow - DWC/LED - Pray For Me!

After going in & out of the tent a few times, getting some better views under that intense LED, I think it's Cal def from PH having been mostly 6.0+

Every day it would swing to 6.4 and I'd ph dn but once it got to 6.1-6.2 I wouldnt go further. It did ph as high as 6.8 a couple times this week.

Yesterday I ph'd it down to 5.3, added 1 gal of 6.7 ro and it came up to 5.5. This morning it's 5.7.

I also put a gal of hot nutes in earlier in week. My ppm hit 1550 after that. I didnt think a slightly hot gal would make that much difference. When I added the RO water yesterday it dropped it to 1510 only, and this mornin it's 1490. I'll be adding another gal of straight ro today so it should drop it some more.

I dont think it's bug damage. I've searched high and low and cant find any. Hopefully I got it handled.

Whenever I think bugs may have arrived, I put a no-pest strip in the tent overnight, and
turn the exhaust fan off.
"If it crawls or flys, it dies." = Easy & cheap elimination of that possibility.

Do that, then change your water. New growth will be green & good.
Cut off the uglys = problem solved like magic :) KISS

I have a strip, where would you suggest placing in tent?

Fortunately the ugly guys are few. The more I look the more I think it's cal def. Edit: from ph lockout which is fixed.

Added another gal of straight 6.7 ro water.

PPM is now 1410, PH 5.7.

Got a 30x - 100x lighted scope from radio shack today ($13.00). took a fan leaf that had noticeable frost but not loaded, and was shading a bud site. These scopes are very cool! At 100x I can really see the trichomes.

The more I looked over spotted leaves the more convinced it was all my fault letting the ph hang just a bit too high before lowering. I think it was Calcium Def from ph lockout. All should be good now.

That looks like a textbook Calcium deficiency to me as well. Nice catch, Steve. Sounds like you're on top of it Bassman. I try to set my PH at 5.5 and let it drift up to 6.1 before adjusting back to 5.5. That range allows for excellent nutrient uptake and keeps the plants in the sweet zone (5.8 or so) more often than not.

As long as you get the PH problem fixed, those spots are just a cosmetic blemish and shouldn't hurt you moving forward.

Grew in the desert once, had to have misters on sometimes. Watch your ppm in the nutes as with a lot of plant transpiration it can get a little concentrated. You're doing a great job so far Good luck.

P.S. after reading a little more, relax, go slow to go fast, when altering nutes or ph take small steps, go slow, you can make some nutes percipitate out by changing too fast. Also I've heard that some of the newer 3w LEDs can acually burn the leaves if too close, are you having any problems with leaves on the same plant but a little further away from the lights?

Thanks williboy,

It's comin along, ph-ppm is lookin fine this mornin * this evenin

hey man, if i had to guess... i would agree that the brown spotting on the tips is a CalMag deficiancy... only because i had the same looking leaves at one point before i got my shipment from BPN, and this list of deficiancies i found described it to a T... after i started supp with it, it calmed down and the new growth was great...

hey man, if i had to guess... i would agree that the brown spotting on the tips is a CalMag deficiancy... only because i had the same looking leaves at one point before i got my shipment from BPN, and this list of deficiancies i found described it to a T... after i started supp with it, it calmed down and the new growth was great...
You have to be careful in diagnosing a def as CalMag, those are two separate nutrients and each has it's own symptom. Also you can lock out one by having too much of another. We often treat them as the same thing because many of the products on the market package Cal and Mag in the same bottle. There are ways to treat them individually though (espsom salt for Mag, calcium nitrate, salt peter, for a Ca deficiency)

One is a mobile element and the other is immobile. If these terms are foreign to you, pick up the Growers Bible (Cervantes) and read up on nutrients. If an element in mobile (Mg) the plant is able to take that item from old grow and use it to build/feed new growth. The deficiency in a mobile element will typically be seen in the older/lower leaves. For an immobile element (Ca), the plant can't redistribute the element and has to rely on the nutrients available--the def will show itself in newer growth. Knowing whether an element is mobile or immobile is the first step in accurately identifying a def or toxicity of an element.

Added another gal of straight 6.7 ro water.

PPM is now 1410, PH 5.7.

Got a 30x - 100x lighted scope from radio shack today ($13.00). took a fan leaf that had noticeable frost but not loaded, and was shading a bud site. These scopes are very cool! At 100x I can really see the trichomes.

The more I looked over spotted leaves the more convinced it was all my fault letting the ph hang just a bit too high before lowering. I think it was Calcium Def from ph lockout. All should be good now.

:welldone: I love to hate my little scope, lol. Have you seen those USB microscopes? Those are really cool!

Good to hear you have peace of mind that you are doing things right...cuase you are! Keep up the good work Bass :thumb:

well I'm taking my scope back to Radio shack tomorrow. The damn thing wont light up now.

I can't do a usb I dont think. My computer is a good 50' away from the grows.

Update coming

Update:

Day 38 in Flower

Res changed yesterday. Have to add 2 gals again later. Just ph'ing water then mixing and waiting for ph to be stable first. Seems day after res change when the plants were out of water for 20 mins or so they drink like hell!

PPM is in the 1200's now. They may still get 1 more feeding of AN nutes still before they get BPN. I want to use BPN on next grow so I'm not buying more AN bloom stuff for only 1-2 feedings.

So yesterday during res change I kinda screwed up a little bit. When I res change I literally pick up the entire top of tub, plants and all, and lay it on my spare tub. Then I drain the front tub while external pump is running and pumping back to front tub (which is closed off from draining). This drains 80% of the back tub. Then I take the top from back tub and lay it on the front and finish drain-clean the back. Well yesterday when I pulled the back tub-top, I smacked the LED with the top bud and cracked the stem! Pic #2 with red arrow shows this. But I think she'll be ok. She's the biggest bud site too. Problem is the roots are just too massive, so no more moving that one. Going to have to prop it up a lil and just drain 90% or so.

The back tub plants are all frostier and more mature buds than the front. I'm moved the light a little more forward but really note sure why the entire tub is more advanced than the front tub. They are both recirculating the same nutrient so it isnt that.

We can see some nice frost though! It should be 3 more weeks to harvest I think.

On to pics:

PB210177.JPG
PB210178.JPG
PB210179.JPG
PB210180.JPG

PB210181.JPG
PB210182.JPG
PB210183.JPG
PB210184.JPG

Back
Top Bottom