Bill C-45: Canada's Legalization, The Drama Revs Up

Black market cannabis, other than our buddies or uncles grow op, is typically funding other shady activities. Sometimes those family members are also involved in shady activities . I grew up around it. Participated in it. These people do illegal things, like growing or selling cannabis, so we shouldn’t be surprised that they have other illegal “hobbies”. Guns, cocaine, crack, heroine, property theft, and all the rest of it. It bleeds into each other and we feed it by purchasing their weed or allowing it in our stores.

I know a few growers of 30+ years and none of them have done what you just listed. Yep some of them out there I am sure they do but this is exactly what the "gooberment" wants you to believe! They will also probably lace your cannabis with fentanyl right?

These pricks who are some of the provincial suppliers for RECREATIONAL were caught hiding Nova 40 and Eagle 20 in the ceiling when HC came to inspect. Go smoke some of the trustworthy LP weed... Please :) Make sure you also over pay!

We don’t go to work wanting to do a crap job. Nobody does. People growing cannabis love doing it. LPs are not the only supplier to the stores. The GOOD illegal growers, mom and pop grows, now have avenues to become legal and sell their quality bud to stores as craft cannabis. It’s gotta be tested. The stores, for recreational cannabis, are not going to be full of poison. Perhaps Durban Poison.

No people don't go to work wanting to do a crap job because they fear loosing their jobs. So these Health Canada approved LP's have employees who are going to lose a crop because they are shit growers and then spray deadly poison and try to hide it, in the ceiling!

The small guys are still required to put up a huge amount of money to get into the game, shortcuts will be made to make the $.

I am talking about recreational weed. If you need cannabis for medicine and you can get cheap, clean, and quality medicine from a buddy or outside of the legal system then that’s what you gotta do.

The people who need medical expect medical grade not the shit they are being fed now with crazy prices. Aurora for example came out with their kief, for only $35 per gram and $25 for compassionate.

All these shitty companies have always been banking on the rec. market not the medical, they don't give a shit about the patients.

Yes it did. :ganjamon:

Ian (I am in Vegas celebrating with some Legal herb)

It's a start, but it's still going to be a very long road to true legalization. I wonder if Ford is going to keep his promise to do away with govt only sales in Ontario. I'm sure he'd have to move pretty quickly on this.

the bill passed senate less than 24 hrs ago and all the morning talk radio shows in sask are suggesting home cultivation should be banned already. considering the political content, the position seems to be telegraphing the provincial gov'ts wishes.

edit : from sask cannabis framework survey

vi. Home Cultivation
The majority of survey respondents expressed a belief that private citizens should be allowed to grow non-medicinal cannabis plants within their private home

so let them deal with that lol

Es so what happens now buddy I’m not good with politics buddy are we still going to be allowed to grow our own Medicince greedy son of a beaches lol

Well it goes back to the House of Commons for another vote that includes the amendments suggested. Then it goes back to the senate for the final vote. I believe.

As for growing it, sounds like it will be up to the individual provinces to decide, however federal law stating we can grow our own will lead to some to challenge any province who tries to ban home cultivation.

Whatever opinion you have about the system, it will be better than it was.

So far legal recreational cannabis legislation has had no impact on medicinal marijuana. The amendments proposed by the senate do however reference the ACMPR for definitions etc.

If the House of commons does not accept the proposed Senate recommendations, things will get severely delayed. There will be debates and votes in the House, before the Senate has another crack at it. Basically it will be back to square one.

Making recommendations that the Senate knows will be unacceptable in the House is a tactic used to kill proposed legislation. The Senate delayed until the last possible moment to pass Bill C-45. If the House doesn't agree with the recommendations it could take more than a year for legal recreational cannabis to become a reality.

As for growing it, sounds like it will be up to the individual provinces to decide, however federal law stating we can grow our own will lead to some to challenge any province who tries to ban home cultivation.

Bill C-45 has no impact on the ACMPR, including our hard-earned right to 'grow our own.'

“Among the more than 40 amendments to Bill-C45 that members of Parliament will now examine are the ability for provinces to ban home cultivation and barring cannabis companies from giving out branded merchandise.”

I don’t see many actually banning it, and it certainly wouldn’t hold up in Federal court, but Quebec has made it clear they don’t want folks growing.

It won’t stop anyone. At worst you get a ticket. Not to mention there isn’t nearly enough bodies to enforce such an idiotic ban.

Agreed if the house doesn't accept the senate changes it starts all over again. I'm hoping the house passes the bill and then creates a new bill rectifying the stupid changes. Mainly the provincial ability to ban home growing. I'm in BC so no worries for me. For those in Man and Que at least once it passes I believe its just a fine for growing your own rather than the current criminal charges. Its going to take a while to get this where it needs to be. There are way too many people out there who think everything is going o go to hell with legalization which is driving a lot of the stupid. Add to that the tax and corporate bonanza and its pretty screwed.

Things are going to be far from perfect but its a hell of a lot better than what we have had. It makes me think of alcohol prohibition. Until a few years ago in BC it was illegal to carry your own drink in a restaurant from a lounge table to the main dining area. Who thinks this shit up?

Well it goes back to the House of Commons for another vote that includes the amendments suggested. Then it goes back to the senate for the final vote. I believe.

Great thank you fir making that clear for me to understand appreciate that big one ✊

Agreed if the house doesn't accept the senate changes it starts all over again. I'm hoping the house passes the bill and then creates a new bill rectifying the stupid changes. Mainly the provincial ability to ban home growing. I'm in BC so no worries for me. For those in Man and Que at least once it passes I believe its just a fine for growing your own rather than the current criminal charges. Its going to take a while to get this where it needs to be. There are way too many people out there who think everything is going o go to hell with legalization which is driving a lot of the stupid. Add to that the tax and corporate bonanza and its pretty screwed.

Things are going to be far from perfect but its a hell of a lot better than what we have had. It makes me think of alcohol prohibition. Until a few years ago in BC it was illegal to carry your own drink in a restaurant from a lounge table to the main dining area. Who thinks this shit up?
I’m in Ontario curious to see what happens

This is pretty sad that 3 people are making the decisions on this.
"Actually, three ministers will be looking over the amended bill.Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale will look at changes in the legislation that affect policing. Health Minister Ginette Petitpas Taylor will consider amendments that touch on her portfolio and Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould will examine the legal implications of the Red Chamber's proposed changes."

“Among the more than 40 amendments to Bill-C45 that members of Parliament will now examine are the ability for provinces to ban home cultivation and barring cannabis companies from giving out branded merchandise.”

I don’t see many actually banning it, and it certainly wouldn’t hold up in Federal court, but Quebec has made it clear they don’t want folks growing.

It won’t stop anyone. At worst you get a ticket. Not to mention there isn’t nearly enough bodies to enforce such an idiotic ban.

production will still carry some of the most prohibitive penalties. it will be up to a judge to decide if the offence will remain summary - a ticketable offence -, or if it is serious enough to be indictable.

a first time summary offence carries a fine between $5000 - $250,000 and jail time to a maximum of 6 months. subsequent summary offences will result in fines up to $500,000 and a maximum of 18 months jail. the court can also levy fines under the $5000 dollar mark for first time or small offences.

indictable offences bring fines up to $5 million dollars and jail terms to a maximum of 5 years.

edit: more serious offences can carry a maximum of 14 yrs for production and / or distribution.

the courts have a much broader range of penalties they can apply under c45 than the old controlled substances act. it is interesting to note that maximums have been established in c45, and minimums have been left to individual courts discretion. maximum jail times for offences all look to be lesser under the new act while monetary penalties have ballooned.

guidelines and penalties under c45 here

That isn't completely correct. The house can accept the changes as is and send the bill for Royal Assent which would make it a done deal.

If they make changes then the whole process pretty well starts all over again. The house will debate and do all their BS before passing the changes then back to the senate where they will debate and possibly make changes again.

The simple way to look at it is both the senate and the house have to agree to the same bill. The house passed this bill to the senate and they made changes so now the house has to decide if they can accept those changes.

Personally I get the feeling the changes made were a backroom deal with the house and everything is gonna go through as is. Hopefully in a few years when everyone else figures out its no big deal they'll lax some of the dumber stuff.

UrbanAchiever said:

OK. The battle is on. Parliament is debating the amendments today & it looks like they will accept all of the technical changes but reject:

• Affirming the provinces' right to ban home cultivation of marijuana.
  • Banning branded promotional items such as T-shirts and hats that display logos of marijuana producers.
  • Establishing a public registry of all cannabis companies' directors, officers, controlling parent corporations or trusts, and their directors, members and shareholders.

Assuming they do, this will send it back to the Senate.

Sources: CBC

Ian

Yes. The unknown is for how long. The posturing is already in full swing with the PM blaming the Cons for delaying tactics & it is hard not to agree. He would like it passed to the GG for assent before the summer recess, so end of June for the Senate.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom