Boatshoe's Backyard Garden Autos & Photos: Variety Grow 2018

Boatshoe

Hi 420, I hope you are all well!

Welcome to my grow journal for summer 2018. I will raise a variety of autos and photos in pots and in ground, about a dozen or so. Growing from seeds ordered from one of the sponsors on line. It looks like I have more indica and indica dominant in my order mix, whatever whim drove my tendencies the day I ordered brought us.

My small garden is in the Bay Area of Northern CA where we have more fog than sun, so if the sight of mildew makes you squeamish this may not be the journal for you :) Also we can count on some bugs. Yea, bugs. I I hope my care regimen will yield some nice flowers and that nature will smile.

This is my second journal and I think my fifth or sixth year growing mj. I am still learning what works and each season I get more serious and competent and (lets hope) successful. Each season has its own challenges. I use organic methods with conservative pesticide and nutrient use. I have numerous other plants as well.

The plan is to do multiple batches of autos, a couple plants each month; and some photos that I’ll start indoors and put out in mid June. I’ll try to somewhat limit their exposure outdoors and avoid pests to some degree. Last year my lossage was severe especially for the in ground photos, which had a lot of time outside and got decimated. I got a good stash because I over planted to allow for it. That’s where the autos are so handy, I can start them even until the fall.

I am looking forward to a great year and I wish you the same

:green_heart:

but first I’ll start the journal with my last grow, harvest yesterday. Indoor winter grow.
Very happy with this, nice and clean, no pests, fat dank buds

Grand daddy purple, 2x4x5ft tent, 2x300W LED, 2x75W CFL, soil, 5g fabric, 19 weeks (8/9).
Blimburn seeds.

Welcome back my friend @Preston9mm, I hear it’s been warm down there in your parts.
You know that song, Snake Farm, by Ray Wylie Hubbard?

And welcome my new friend Mr. Smeegol (so formal). I can tell from your journal we have some things in common :)

:welcome:

Wow, there’s less than a month till summer solstice, June 21. I have some autos sprouting, so they’ll get four weeks of increasing day and then they’ll be in sync with the waning daylight. Next week I will start some photo day plants, to go outside July 1, inside/outside I’m pots.
I want to put some in the ground but I may not be able. Or maybe yes!

3 seeds started on 5-15, soaked in paper towel till roots, then into soil. One seedling root got too long and got into a tangle when I transplanted it. I took my eye off for a day or two, and the tap root was like two inches long. When I transplanted it, there came some bit of taproot looping up, and the plant is growing low, looks good so far (that’s labeled afghan 5-15).

Another seedling is the Dark Purple, it’s doing the best. The third is a Northern Lights, which seems to be an ex-Northern lights. It germed, showing some root, then never came through. :(

So I put two more northern lights to soak till a bit of root. I used ready root seed starter peat pods, and in a coupl days the tap root was through the bottom. There’s four autos for the first batch, Dark Purple, Afghan, Northen Lights (2).

Next week I will start some photos. I have three Early Skunk for that. I’ll post some pics, but the upload failed.

Here are the seedling babies starting their new life.

One no go northern lights, dark purple doing well, afghan that got its tap root twisted and so it’s short, and two more northern lights started last week in the pods.

These were started in ready root peat pods, first a two day soak in H2O till a bit of root then into the pods with a bit of soil to cover the hole. Two days later this much root came out overnight. Hoping to avoid that root twist that got their cousin.

Put the northern lights Into small pots just putting the whole peat pod into soil. The older two get their first feeding. I will these nicely rooted inside then transplant into 5g pots in potting soil then outside for them, maybe around the solstice. I am using 15 hour light schedule to match the length of day at the and of the month.

I have a little more idea on how organize the grow through my garden and what is practical. A bit of a plan is clearer, as our weather gets cloudier. I ain’t seen the sunshine since, I don’t know when.

Challenges: It’s cool and cloudy and will be most of summer. If I leave plants out for a long duration they will get fungus or bugs. The humidity will cross the dew point every night for some weeks.
On the plus side, no rain and temperate. Well probably get a couple months of perfect weather too.

So I plan to try to limit the outside exposure of the individuals. I’ll grow at least two batches of autos, there’s four seedlings started for the first batch. I can put autos out as late as sept, sometimes that’s our best weather.

I am going to do one set of photo periods or maybe two. I started three Early Skunk soaking. I plan to take some cuttings and get these ready to go outside. I picked Early Skunk for the shorter flowering time, reducing outside exposure,

and I am noticing indicas do better here. Makes sense. We’re at a higher latitude than afghani, so the plants are in tune to that. To do Sativa I need autos or more indoor time.

Before, previous years, I would just pick up some clones, root them and get them through premature flower and revegged, and be happy with the short yield. Last year I put the clones in earlier to get them established better after reveg, but the increased exposure they were battered by pests. So this year I will get them established from seed, with 14h sun, before going out.

To do this I’ll end up putting in ten or more plants. That gets expensive, these seeds. So I will be trying to produce my own seeds for a few strains. I have some Skunk regulars, that I got to pollinate males and females. Also I read about using silver to generate femmed seeds. That’s pretty exciting, I will be trying it this year too.

I’ll keep the indoor lights going at 15h day to match our longest Solstice day, then get the babies rooted in and established, then outside to bloom. That’s the plan.

By the end of the year the grow will be pretty much perpetual. I’m jazzed too because the gdp just harvested are great. Not a huge yield, I a little surprised about the low weight, but great taste and potency. I think it’s the best mmj I’ve grown. Wish I had taken some cuttings to reveg, now that I realize, well, live and learn. I still have a few seeds of them for the next batch.

It should be fun!

:p:p

A nice warm day here in Cali. Time for some gardening!

I haven’t been doing much around the house and it shows. Here is the planting bed that one, or two, autos will go, in the bed next to the row of peppers. Next to it I will put another and so I’ll put a small planting bed in the spot next to the artichokes. I may put one more behind it further back.

No maryjane here yet.

The soil needs work. I got a yard of garden mix at the landscape center. It’s decent, composted wood fines, compost, castings, Moss, gravel fines. It’s pretty light, just in the planting beds I would mix it with sand or my native clay to add weight to help the plants foundation. I’ll top off my beds over the whole yard. If I can, I’d like to put compost then bark mulch over the whole yard. But until then...

I also have some minerals, dolomite, azomite, potassium, humid acid, that I’ll add to the mix because it gets demineralized. Then I’ll give everything a good watering with compost tea. The plan is to put the autos directly from the rooted 5 inch pots into the ground, in a few weeks. Others will be in pots so I can fill those with potting soil now.

potting soil, this was about 90 bucks for a yard, so that’s about 3 dollars a cubic foot. It’s not as good as high quality bagged soil like fox farms but that is like 10 dollars a cu ft.

Time to get behind the mule...

Another sunny day, it’s starting to feel like spring! Hope it’s lovely where you are? I know in the Midwest everyone was looking out for tornados, after weeks of sweltering, so I don’t have complaints :)

The Early Skunk seedlings have germinated, yay. They showed some roots,map I put the peat pods into the pots. These are the smallest I have ever seen, hope they’re ok. One had root showing through the bottom of the pod but no leaves, but I potted anyway. I don’t know if I like these ready rooters for seeds, but I’ll keep trying.

Here’s the spring line up, all germed a week apart. Four autos, three photo. The autos have pretty good color and are showing their fourth node. When that is a half inch or so, with the side growth visible, I will top them.

Making some progress in back. I am building the soil, a little at a time. The patch here, about 10x20 on the left, was covered with concrete, it was taken out three years past. The soil here is diablo clay soil type, and talk about compacted. The first year I grew a big crop of just sunflowers to help break up the soil and absorb impurities. Last year I put some mj in the ground further back, I did some soil restoration in that area but not nearly enough. I’ll do this area in front and put a small raised bed in...

The procedure is to dig about a foot or so and put some tree trimming branches at the bottom. Then about half (clay) native topsoil and half planting soil to fill the hole, then a raised bed with pure planting soil or at maybe 1/4 native.

I mix a good amount of mineral into the soil. Calcium improves the soil texture, gypsum is good but I don’t have any right now, I’ll use lime for cal if I don’t get any. Gypsum will remove salinity but doesn’t affect ph so that improve friability. The soil here is alkaline so that’s beneficial. I’ll also add bone meal, azomite, charcoal, greensand. I don’t add peat moss anymore because it isn’t considered renewable. Composted wood is good instead, it holds water and lowers ph.

The raised bed is for water management mostly. Even with the additives it’s easy to overwater and it will sit like in a soggy bowl of marsh land until more of the soil is built up. I went directly into the ground last year and that’s what happened.

That little mj it the picture is a bonus baby I planted in April but haven’t tended. I put it out early, too early, and thought it wouldn’t make it. Now it’s flowering. Some kind of auto, I’ll clean it up and put up a pic

Good looking garden, makes my back hurt. Projects like this I make sure I do something each day, eventually you'll realize you got it done.

Nice job.
Hi @Zincite, yeah, doing something every day, that’s the key to a lot of things in life. Do what you can and keep at it. :)
If I can get out and do some garden for an hour or more, I feel much more strong and healthy. I am still recuperating from a health catastrophe a couple years ago, so even though the back hurts it feels good.
Plus, weed growing is its own reward, that’s unbeatable.

:yummy:

A nice warm day here in Cali. Time for some gardening!

I haven’t been doing much around the house and it shows. Here is the planting bed that one, or two, autos will go, in the bed next to the row of peppers. Next to it I will put another and so I’ll put a small planting bed in the spot next to the artichokes. I may put one more behind it further back.

No maryjane here yet.

The soil needs work. I got a yard of garden mix at the landscape center. It’s decent, composted wood fines, compost, castings, Moss, gravel fines. It’s pretty light, just in the planting beds I would mix it with sand or my native clay to add weight to help the plants foundation. I’ll top off my beds over the whole yard. If I can, I’d like to put compost then bark mulch over the whole yard. But until then...

I also have some minerals, dolomite, azomite, potassium, humid acid, that I’ll add to the mix because it gets demineralized. Then I’ll give everything a good watering with compost tea. The plan is to put the autos directly from the rooted 5 inch pots into the ground, in a few weeks. Others will be in pots so I can fill those with potting soil now.

potting soil, this was about 90 bucks for a yard, so that’s about 3 dollars a cubic foot. It’s not as good as high quality bagged soil like fox farms but that is like 10 dollars a cu ft.

Time to get behind the mule...
Man-o-man.... you've got your hands full! Hope there is a big ol Doobie involved.
:ganjamon:

All of the Early Skunk seedlings are up. Yay. But they are the smallest I have seen, like a pinhead.

The cotyledons are not well formed, missing a leaf on one. You can see the yellowed leaf below. They weren’t subjected to stress here, the last few days were cool but mild. I am wondering about starting another strain, in case these aren’t vigorous. I wanted to bred some seeds, I don’t like the weak start, these little seedlings give me the worries. Still, the roots looked good and they’re all alive :)

The foundation for a little planting bed is ready. A lining of branches some soil and amendments. I am going to put a 3x3 bed on top of this. I read about soil building in the California master gardeners program textbook. I didn’t take the class but the textbook is good and also cheap.

I could get a pretty good size plant here, and one in the other planting bed. I am thinking of getting a good size photo started inside, then finish in the bed. If I give it 8 weeks inside, they should be, maybe 24 inches. Going out aug 1, they’ll double to 48 inches and have 8 or10 weeks outside. At least that was my plan, so these early skunks were my candidate for the spot.

I know, it still just looks like a hole in some dirt...

Back
Top Bottom