Small Backyard Garden With Various Strains & Methods & More

Great job BS!!! Looking awesome!!

I use the same trimming technique as InTheShed but since I harvested 3 plants, I decided to try all the different techniques (i.e wet trim before hangdry before glass jars, no wet trim and into brown paper bags after hanging then in jars for curing etc.). I just want to finally know what the best method is since I don't have a drying rack. However, I will be buying a couple of them for the next grow.

My buds are turning out nicely but i'm not getting that 'dank' smell from my yields yet. It pretty much just smells like cut grass or hay....I keep reading that the smell comes back during the curing process. Any thoughts?

I had to use Neem Oil Extract during the last 2-3 weeks of flowering due to nasty and VERY resilient spider mites. After H202 bath, all is good.

My buds are turning out nicely but i’m not getting that ‘dank’ smell from my yields yet. It pretty much just smells like cut grass or hay....I keep reading that the smell comes back during the curing process. Any thoughts?

The hay/grass smell goes away and the nice dope smell comes back during the cure. The most important part is burping the jars early on to get rid of the moisture and slowly getting them to 62% RH (or thereabouts). Once you have them in that low 60s range you can burp them less and less over time. My first harvest has been in jars since mid-August and I burp about 30 seconds once a week or less. Sometimes just to smell the aroma!

I don't have a drying rack either but I've been hanging in a ventilated cardboard box until they go into jars.

The hay/grass smell goes away and the nice dope smell comes back during the cure. The most important part is burping the jars early on to get rid of the moisture and slowly getting them to 62% RH (or thereabouts).

I don't have a drying rack either but I've been hanging in a ventilated cardboard box until they go into jars.

Do you use the boveda 62 packs in your jars? Also, drying racks are pretty cheap online I guess.

Boatshoe,
Just wanted to let you know my final total for the WW auto plant, i think it was you who was curious to see how it turned out.
Jarred up everything today, 12 jars, 220grams dry. I'm amazed at the amount I got off that little 2 footer.

BTW I've been just jarring after drying with B62's, burping like once\twice after that about week apart and leaving them. Maybe I should be cracking them open weekly just for 20-30 seconds a piece even with the b62's in there?

Show off ;)! Nice work Knight :thumb:

Not sure when they went into the jars but even after they're sealed for the cure you should burp weekly for the first month and then less over time. Eventually not at all (if it lasts that long ;)). I do once a week for a month, then once every two weeks, then whenever I remember.

Thanks (not really showing off but I had just jarred this afternoon so yeah a little).

They went into jars Sept 8th (my prior candy cane harvest, the above was my WW today).
When they went in after drying but they were borderline too dry, even with packs took too days to come up to 60-61%. So that's why I only burped them twice, once I was moving my hydrometers around, and the other was a purposeful quick minute or so burp. I just burped them again now. Reason I was trying not to do it with them is B62's only have so much humidity to 'add' to the container and I didn't want to use it all up with burping. That said my WW went in today I think more in the right wetness\dryness range so I'll be sure to burp them weekly for a minute each week over the next month, though WW will get burp in about day or two regardless when I move the 4 monitors around. Don't think I have to be as paranoid about low humidity with this batch.

Thank you for feedback about that though, I've read don't burp (uses up b62's), burp but only once\twice in first couple weeks just to exchange air, and exactly how you do it... jar normally for week...then b62's, then burp a couple times week apart. I'm just to paranoid in my first run to not have the b62's in there from the get go without having enough monitors, they're not cheap at like 25$ a pop for good ones.

Sorry BShoe for hijacking your thread for a second - I return everyone to the regularly scheduled boating. ;)

Sorry BShoe for hijacking your thread for a second - I return everyone to the regularly scheduled boating. ;)

Not quite (sorry!). One more thing: a lot of that depends your ambient RH when you're burping. If it's really dry where you are you can always take them into a more moist area (bathroom after a shower?) so as not to dry them out further during the burp. Put a hygrometer in the room where you're jars are and see what the RH is so you know if the B62 will have to work or not. Ambient RH is the key to correct burping practices!

/hijack ;)

Not quite (sorry!). One more thing: a lot of that depends your ambient RH when you're burping. If it's really dry where you are you can always take them into a more moist area (bathroom after a shower?) so as not to dry them out further during the burp. Put a hygrometer in the room where you're jars are and see what the RH is so you know if the B62 will have to work or not. Ambient RH is the key to correct burping practices!

/hijack ;)

Yup. Been doing that - watching the RH during dry and burping process; Had to take the CC jars downstairs the second time since RH in the room was 30%, vs like 40-45 down stairs.

Actually till this last week of harvesting WW that's what was the original issue it's been problem cause I've had to keep the RH so low in and around my grow environment upstairs for final weeks of harvest. Didn't have anywhere nice to dry things so CC had to dry in same environment more or less like 35-40%, vs WW who was able to dry slower more normal in 45-55%. Since I could now control it more with both grows over it's been easier, I will not bore you more with it other than to say thanks again, and that adding that last part not just for me but others that might read it is pretty key actually!. :thumb:

Boatshoe,
Just wanted to let you know my final total for the WW auto plant, i think it was you who was curious to see how it turned out.
Jarred up everything today, 12 jars, 220grams dry. I'm amazed at the amount I got off that little 2 footer.

BTW I've been just jarring after drying with B62's, burping like once\twice after that about week apart and leaving them. Maybe I should be cracking them open weekly just for 20-30 seconds a piece even with the b62's in there?

Thanks for sharing that, Knight. That a nice yield indeed. You will be rewarded for your hard work :)

I usually open the buds up every day and fluff toss them gently for a week or more as they go through the green minty to hay smell, then less often as they cure. I have been using boveda 72 RH at the start and then plan to switch to 62 or so. I need to to order some. I've used boxes or bags too, but our rh fluctuates wildly so I'm using plastic bags after the initial drying, on chicken wire.

Here the 3 bubba kush sisters I took in earlier this week. The two larger ones are bagged, the smaller one is drying because I picked it a couple days later. I'll post some pictures of the plants themselves. Interesting comparison that the trained bubba yielded more than the larger one with no training. As we expect.

Nice fresh and fluffy flower from the small bubba. Needs a couple more days open air drying. I put them on chicken wire and turn once or twice a day. Nice purple color and fruity smell.

The other two plants are trimmed and in bags for more drying and curing. I'll just leave the bags open most of the time. The trained plant gave almost 2.5 oz, the other 2oz. I expect about 1from the smallest.

Thanks for sharing that, Knight. That a nice yield indeed. You will be rewarded for your hard work :)

I usually open the buds up every day and fluff toss them gently for a week or more as they go through the green minty to hay smell, then less often as they cure. I have been using boveda 72 RH at the start and then plan to switch to 62 or so. I need to to order some. I've used boxes or bags too, but our rh fluctuates wildly so I'm using plastic bags after the initial drying, on chicken wire.

Here the 3 bubba kush sisters I took in earlier this week. The two larger ones are bagged, the smaller one is drying because I picked it a couple days later. I'll post some pictures of the plants themselves. Interesting comparison that the trained bubba yielded more than the larger one with no training. As we expect.

Nice fresh and fluffy flower from the small bubba. Needs a couple more days open air drying. I put them on chicken wire and turn once or twice a day. Nice purple color and fruity smell.

The other two plants are trimmed and in bags for more drying and curing. I'll just leave the bags open most of the time. The trained plant gave almost 2.5 oz, the other 2oz. I expect about 1from the smallest.

Wowza that's some beautiful bud :) Congrats on the harvest, I love sweet sticky outdoor homegrown bud. Good Job, Boatshoe:goodjob:

These are the bubbas last week before harvesting, so it's a bit out of chronological order.

Here's the two bigger bubbas. The one that I trained, minimally, yielded more than the natural one, even though it was considerable bigger when I lst'd The other at week 5. I would say the lst up to doubled the result. Interestingly the trained plant stayed green but the other two showed a lot of purple.

They'd show better if i had removed the yellow fan leaves, but you get the idea.

The two bubbas in foreground, behind on the left is a tangerine that's a few weeks younger

The smallest bubba really struggled when I transplanted it, but it got some nice flowers

Have a great weekend everybody :)

:laughtwo:
Love those purple leaves and flowers! Only way I woulda had blue on my Blueberry was with an instagram filter :-(

:laughtwo::laughtwo::laughtwo::biglaugh::biglaugh:

The cold nights really brings out the purple. Next summer I'll try to get some plants that ripen well into the fall like this. I'm really appreciating the flexibility of these auto flowers.

Beautiful work, ya done good. Love outdoor grows.

Look fwd to the smoke report!

thanks for the grt journal!

Nice choice of strains, too. I'm particularly keen on Tangie.

Nice choice of strains, too. I'm particularly keen on Tangie.

Thanks andihalped. And good job halping, haha. I read your account of your screen handle and your buds back on the day.

:thanks:

:icon_cool:icon_cool

The tangies were the happy surprise. By far they outperformed the other clones, which mostly did not work out. The two tangies revegged the hardest and stayed really small, then boom, they grew out all over and budded up great. I got half a pound of good buds, and to think that at one point I thought I should take them out. They ended up the most resilient to the mold, mildew, and caterpillars that we struggled with all summer.

Goes to show you never can tell.

Here's a smoke report for ya.

The Tangie buds are curing nicely. They are going through their late hay period, still slight grassiness and the smallest hint of milk chocolate. I sometimes pick up slight aroma of milk while the bud are curing, I think a byproduct of the chlorophyll breaking down. It's very slight, they're very clean. When I really smell the buds inside, break them apart, I get the true aroma that they'll have, which is a nice lemony smell. There's good slight moisture inside the buds, so they'll hold the oils nicely.

The smoke is smooth considering they need cure. It is definitely strong and an uplifting high with a nice relaxing effect. I harvest when the trichomes were almost all cloudy and at their fattest. The early harvest explains the high thc type effect. Definitely a good wake and bake.

I'll probably put these in some big jars today. It's easier for me to cure them in bags so I can easily access them to make sure they get evenly dried.
1BB9D6FB-4601-4371-B404-88AADA9140DB.jpeg

Lots of red pistols. I'll probably trim some of the outer leaves a bit. They're covered with trichomes so even the shake is potent.

Here's the tasting platter... just for comparison, Tangie, kush, white widow, fire og, clockwise from the Tangie bud in my hand.

:peace:

Here's a recap of the little Tangie that could.

It revegged and was a flower stalk for a month...

It revegged and started to grow. One Tangie in front, and one directly behind katty corner, so small it's hiding in back.

But then, look who became a superstar!

Back
Top Bottom