Love It or Leave It?

• Love It

Votes: 55 51.4%
  • Leave It

Votes: 21 19.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 31 29.0%

• Total voters
I'm having difficulty erasing what's in the compose box when I want to start anew. There's no "cancel" button, or at least one I can see or make work. For instance, if I wanted to pick up the last paragraph of what TS posted and then cancel the quote to start a new compose box there's no way to do that. I have to manually erase it all, which means I'd have to do that one character at a time or drop what I'd saved somewhere else while I select the entire thing and erase.

TS, do you understand what I mean?

I think so. On a mobile device, you cannot simply hit CTRL-A and DELete, to select all text and delete it. I noticed with my cell phone one day that I could get into a text selection... thing by holding my finger down on some text. It highlights one word, but I can drag one of the "things" to cover all the text, then tap on an icon to delete the highlighted text.

I really don't know how the whole "forum experience" is on anything other than my laptop. Having a 15.3" screen, a mouse(-pad), and a physical keyboard... It makes things easier for me. So does the ability to open each person's post as its own reply in separate Firefox tabs, cut, paste, and reply to same to my heart's content, and then post the result. That will always be easier for me. For the difference in screen size, if for no other reason. I guess I'll have to wait for holographic keyboards and large projected three-dimensional displays :rolleyes: .

I, too, miss the "Cancel" button. That's one reason I like to open post replies in separate threads; I can then close one or all of them without losing my place in the thread. (And one more reason why I don't "do forums" via a mobile device.)

You're doing sing a good job of ferreting through this for us TS. You're earning that Carboniferous fossil that'll be on its way to you later today. MUAH!

Thank you for the kind words (and for another fossil to add to my growing collection). But I am not even 1% the beta-tester that I once was. I once spent the best part of a week, awake and actively testing firmware for a consumer electronics device. That developer probably ended up hating me, lol. I think he might have been supposed to get paid when I and the other handful of people on the testing team smiled, nodded, and said it was ready for release. But when thousands of people are likely to immediately grab something like that, install it on blind faith, and then come to YOU with their complaints instead of hassling the developer, well... I think he rewrote the firmware 15 or 20 times. I wasn't one to be distracted by new features (or "features"), and neither were most of the others. So we ended up hammering away until he addressed the functionality (/etc.) aspects to our satisfaction. And the many thousands of people who then "consumed" the firmware must have been greatly satisfied. I seem to remember getting thanked two, maybe even three times ;) .

And guys...... Who doesn't love this speedy response when you post and edit, eh??

Something else that I, as a "regular computer" user, did not experience. The forum was ALWAYS prompt for me until shortly before the software switch. But I have read enough complaints that I believe the issue was real for many. And there were multiple entities that could have caused or contributed to slow response times (the mobile app was (apparently) created in the PRC so who knows what it was busy doing in the background, some folks probably used their devices possibly crappy default web browsers, cellular network speeds vary wildly from location to location, their carriers might have had a hand in it either due to negligence (IOW, they might suck in general terms) or by design (annoy people enough and they stop using so much data, lol), et cetera. It might actually have seemed like scrapping the previous version of the forum altogether and coming up with something different instead of simply addressing the mobile issues might have been the best option. IDK.

Great disclaimer though. Maybe just need to add 'except for the times I meant to'.

Where'd I put my tinfoil hat? Seriously, though, you must have been reading my mind, because I not only thought that - I almost typed it ;) . I figured someone might get, you know... annoyed. Plus, I've been trying to become a better person. Which is a completely different thing than wishing to be perceived as a better person, I'll admit. But, still...

The one thing I'd like to see, is a way to bookmark where you are in a long journal. I was subbed to 3 journals that were longer than 200 pages at one time. Sometimes you only have 10 minutes to read and finding your place can take that sometimes.

I had something like 70 subscribed threads with new content. Some few of which had hundreds of posts that I hadn't managed to read yet. Now, if/when I find my subscribed threads list again (I really, REALLY should have written down the directions to that last night when someone explained how to get to it :rolleyes: ), with the markers for which was the last post that we've read in a thread having been lost (err... I think?), I'll have some difficulty trying to figure out whether I was on post 652 of a 2,000-post thread or on post 514. Possibly even enough difficulty that I'll end up never going back and catching up in those threads.

I actually briefly considered checking each of my subscribed threads and writing down the post number that I'd read to. Seemed like a waste of time - at the time. <FACEPALM> .

the thank button would be better than a like button.

I hope to see both (reasons previously mentioned). Someone else, I think, suggested an "anti-like" button (they didn't call it that, lol). I see such a thing as being a potential source of trouble. In theory, it could be a useful thing. But I've seen it elsewhere, and it was often used as sort of a passive-aggressive flaming tool. Therefore, I don't expect to see one appear here.

Some kind of ShoutBox would be nice to see, since us "heads" do like to jabber from time to time. But I can see such a thing being an unending source of hassle to the staff (/admin/owner). It would really end up having to be constantly monitored, IMHO, for rules violations, and I do mean constantly.

If I wanted to like something, I'd get on Facebook again.

LMFAO. If I wanted to have a bunch of people that can't seem to think for themselves do my thinking for me, to routinely delete auto-generated emails containing links to malware from a bunch of people I don't even particularly want to receive emails with content that they actually created from, spend my days watching videos of people doing incredibly stupid things without even prefacing them with the standard "Hey, y'all, watch this!" and then seemingly getting severely beaten on the skull with hammers until they actually thought it was ever going to be a good idea to post examples of their lack of brain cells, et cetera... I still wouldn't "hang out" on Facebook. IMHO, the so-called "social" websites are the most improperly named class of things in the entire universe. The term ranks right up there with "politically correct."

Thank is not a word, but a feeling that better coveys your gratefulness toward a helping hand.

For all that the statement reads like it came from a 99¢ greeting card at first glance... I like it! (Please don't tell anyone I said that, it'll ruin my image ;) .) It manages to express the feelings that I have toward some of the members (and staff+). It also speaks of the general spirit of this virtual place, and of its members.

Here are a couple PHONE Pics to help ya navigate a bit and the PC info at the Bottom for your Old Threads and Uploading Pics

1st pic, the 3 bars at Top, Teddy referred to them as HAMBURGER
Click it

Menu Bar slides over for the Forums and stuffs
YOUR THREADS is ones YOU started
WATCHED THREADS is your old list of subscribed threads

If you scroll down to the Bottom you have MEDIA
YOUR MEDIA is where yo go to UPLOAD pics
Click the add media, then MEMBER GALLERIES, then upload pics. It will default to your galleries

On a PC

Top row, 2nd from the Left
420 FORUMS... hover over it
WATCHED THREADS are your old subbed threads

For Pics
Far right is GALLERY
Hover over it click YOUR MEDIA
Right side black box ADD MEDIA
then click MEMBERS GALLERY at the top of the popup screen
Add yer pics

Hope this helps some my friends

The new recommended minimum size is 400 X 400 pixels.

So we can now use a larger avatar picture? Cool. Now where did I stick the original of mine...?

It looks like they are being cropped to 192 x 192 pixels (which seems ironic, considering the software's recommendation to use an image that has a higher resolution than that <SCRATCHES HEAD>). This can cause you to lose the sides of your image if you do not edit your image beforehand with this size constraint in mind. BtW, I just performed an "animated .GIF avatar test," and we still don't have the option for using animated ones. No big deal, but I figured sooner or later someone would wonder if it was possible to use one (yes, but it will become a static image). Now, time to change mine back to the LED panel before someone reads something into that mushroom cloud fireball picture other than that I typed "animated gif avatar" into a web search box and grabbed the first image I saw, lol.

near ready to give up. this old dog cant learn new tricks

Just a quick note to let you all know that the exif data is being stripped from the uploaded photos.

The developer assumed it would be okay to leave some non identifiable data there, but it seems that is not good enough, as people are freaking out thinking the data is still there. So I asked him to edit the script to remove all of the data, which is being done as we speak. It's all good everyone.

Working with the developers tweaking the site, training our staff on the software, answering reports, tending to all of your issues and requests. Please be patient as we get to everyone, many of us are working around the clock for you. By the weekend, we should have most of the kinks worked out and many features added, that you are currently missing. I'll be uploading the custom smilies here shortly, sorry we can't move any faster.

I'll get to these replies here as fast as I can.

Thank you for your patience, understanding and support, we are truly grateful.

Here are a couple PHONE Pics to help ya navigate a bit and the PC info at the Bottom

1st pic, the 3 bars at Top, Teddy referred to them as HAMBURGER
Click it

Menu Bar slides over for the Forums and stuffs
YOUR THREADS is ones YOU started
WATCHED THREADS is your old list of subscribed threads

If you scroll down to the Bottom you have MEDIA
YOUR MEDIA is where yo go to UPLOAD pics
Click the add media, then MEMBER GALLERIES, then upload pics. It will default to your galleries

On a PC

Top row, 2nd from the Left
420 FORUMS... hover over it
WATCHED THREADS are your old subbed threads

For Pics
Far right is GALLERY
Hover over it click YOUR MEDIA
Right side black box ADD MEDIA
then click MEMBERS GALLERY at the top of the popup screen
Add yer pics

Hope this helps some my friend

Awesome Rob, thanks! I'd been a bit worried that the 20+photos I added after the new site went live didn't get stripped - so your reassurance is well recieved indeed (I also work behind a VPN and in private browsing mode - so I'm probably always fine, but still, like someone said - it's not legal everywhere!)

I think the new platform is tops - and it's only going to get better as we use it and flag things we like or don't - or suggest things that might help.

I actually think you're working super fast getting all the bells and whistles and 'glitches' sorted. Super stuff, thank you all. I'm adding a few observations and suggestions/ requests here:
  • I understand that ‘Jump to new’ doesn’t work until you’ve already been to a thread on the new platform because the platform has no ‘memory’ of the old one (so no ‘memory’ of our activity). So to help us navigate this glitch, can we please have page navigation buttons at the top of pages as well as the bottom (on mobile they’re only at the bottom)? Also a jump to final page button like there used to be would be great too.
  • There is currently a limit on numbers of images per post and number of characters per post. Images are limited to 20 per post and characters are limited to 10000 per post. No worries if it's deliberate. Just thought it might be one of those things you wouldn't know until someone tells you.
  • Please restore the old 420 emojis? *Another vote for this! please ... pretty please :rollit:
  • Can we remove the info caption box under every photo in a post (that has the name of the user and the time they uploaded it)? This is different to stripping the meta data - theres a caption box under every posted photo. (Maybe others will like it, maybe it's just a preference thing. It seems to interrupt the image flow though. Although maybe i'll just to have to get better at naming my shots!)
  • Internal links are broken
  • All previously typed apostrophes or single quotes are appearing as e'
  • I seem to be the only one who is having issues with photo’s taking forever to load on a page. Could be my end but I’m not having the issue on other sites. (the uploading went ok too)
  • Something similar to the old “go advanced” option when you’re composing a post would be great. The compose box is very small! Esp. on mobile.
  • It would be great to have the option (on both desktop and mobile app) to ask the system to display longer lists of things like watched threads, new posts etc.
  • The 'Profile posts' feature doesn't seem relevant to the way most of us use the forum, so it just feels to me like those headers are cluttering up the menus wth no good purpose.
  • On the mobile version, once you're reading down a page, you lose the thread title appearance and have to scroll all the way to the top to see what thread you're in. Actually this applies to desktop view as well. If there's a way to 'attach' or anchor the title of the thread to the top of the window while you scroll down, that would be super! I realise space may be an issue on mobile version, but it needs something like that.
  • If there is way to add a feature that lets us browse in something like 'night mode' that would be awesome (eg the ability to have the site appear with light text on a dark background. This might be particularly relevant to the mobile view, but it's be great in the desktop view too. This is sometimes a must for folks with neuro conditions (even a deal-breaker some days).
  • Sometimes when I hit quote it loads the post to 'multi-quote' and other times it jumps me straight into the reply box with just that quote. This seems to happen randomly. The option to choose one or the other would be very useful (like a 'quick quote' button and a 'multi-quote' button.
  • Know what I love!!? I love how quotes containing long sections of other posts are abbreviated in the window, with a 'click for more' link. That's a great feature. (If there was a :slide: emoticon, it would be appropriate here! )
will post other things if/when they occur. Hope you're all well supplied with meds in the 420 offices!
:Namaste:

I don't buy it nivek. MUAH! It'll be ok. Just chill with the flowers when it gets too frustrating. We can do this together.

Is there any way to include an option to track the private messages? It was one of my favorite functions and I don't see it anywhere.

Amy, I have a button to jump to the beginning and end of any thread. You lack that double arrow on either side?

It's at the bottom of the mobile page. Not being able to edit on my phone is a bit of a pain. Lol!

Amy, I have a button to jump to the beginning and end of any thread. You lack that double arrow on either side?
I see it now. It wasn't there earlier - I looked hard! thanks Sue :thanks: (Still maintain the request to have that page navigation at the top as well.)
It's at the bottom of the mobile page. Not being able to edit on my phone is a bit of a pain. Lol!
The edit option is there, just a bit hidden. 3 little dots followed by a down arrow - they're next to the report button.

Actually, request to devs - if there's to be no other options there, it would make sense to ditch the menu and just make it an 'edit' button.

Please excuse me for not diving through that heap of posts. Here are my current suggestions.

The ability to select multiple images to upload at once.

My beloved 420 icons

For an unknown reason, when typing on my phone, my keyboard disappears multiple times mid typing and I end up clicking links unintentionally.

I also miss the thank button.

But am very intrigued by the point system and trophies!

Overall I really am pleased!!! It gives phone and tablet users more without over complicating. I know it's still new and being improved, but again, wow. You guys did great for that short period of time.

The learning curve isn't too steep imo.

Thanks for all your hard work and for continuing to keep 420 mag the best around

Edit...
I also love that the members status and titles are incorporated. Makes me feel special .

Okay also love that the preview option is included! Obviously I love it I chose love... didn't mean to seem critical and I'm sure the things I mentioned are far from your priorities but just some small suggestions. I really like how much more interactive this version is.

Oh and tedwards you have me my report button back!!!! You really do love me . I've been waiting for the chance to resume my uncompensated late night spam patrol of Indian love doctors

Does anyone know if there is still a way to check to see which "contacts/friends" are on-line? (desktop)

Back
Top Bottom