Love It or Leave It?

• Love It

Votes: 55 51.4%
  • Leave It

Votes: 21 19.6%
  • Undecided

Votes: 31 29.0%

• Total voters
Fair play for the fast response on the image data, thank you for fixing that. I'm sure you guys are all flat out.

Im steadily figuring out the basics . I managed to find my subscribed threads and private message someone ....Yeah I'm so bad at technology these days....

One thought is just occuring to me, with the app I used to get nice little pop up notifications on the top of my phone to let me know if someone had sent me a message, quoted something I said etc...I assume this is not possible currently?

I'll get there in the end, trouble is I'm usually browsing here whilst rather well medicated so its a slow process

✌✌

Hi - I need to flag an issue with loading photos in threads that’s becoming unmanageable. It’s so slow to load, both on my phone and on my desktop. I know many others are NoT having this issue so it could very well be a compatibility issue with my ISPs protocols or something. But some others have mentioned it too.

So - this question may be for the software dev team, or maybe it’s something I can change here:

Is there a way to make pic load one at a time, sequentially in a cascade, so that rather than my browser locking up trying to load 15images all at once (random number) it loads one at a time from the top? This way 2 things will happen: each pic will load faster, and I’ll have something pretty to look at while the next one loads!

Is this possible? I’ve given up waiting to view multiple pics posts at the moment. It’s workable at all really.

:Namaste: (yay!!)

There appears to be a lot of people still talking about the meta data on photos, which are stripped from everything during uploading here. There is no risk, repeat, there is no risk. :thanks:

:thumb::Namaste::thanks::Namaste::cheer::circle-of-love:

We have emojis

And my phone and upload are fine so far
I'm picking away at them as fast as I can in between everything else, there are over a hundred of them and I have to re-install them manually, one by one. Each one takes about 3-5 minutes, so I appreciate everyone's patience. :Namaste:

Is there a way to make pic load one at a time, sequentially in a cascade, so that rather than my browser locking up trying to load 15images all at once (random number) it loads one at a time from the top? This way 2 things will happen: each pic will load faster, and I’ll have something pretty to look at while the next one loads!

Back in my dial-up days, things were configured kind of opposite. The browser made ONE (or, possibly, two - been a lot of brain cells went AWOL in the intervening years) connection at a time. Web sites... there was no streaming video at the time. People still knew what gopher meant in terms of the Internet, lol (as a "text junkie," I really miss gopher protocol (this was before HTTP became the dominant protocol), the Veronica search engine, Jughead, et cetera!).

Our modems became a little bit faster. We could achieve a higher throughput in theory, but, oft times, that one connection crawled along. So there was a way to adjust this - configure our web browser so that it'd attempt more than one connection at a time. Makes sense, yes? If your modem is capable of n units per second, but one connection only uses (n/3) units per second, simply open two more connections. So we were getting the textual/framework part of a web page via one connection, the first image via the second connection, the second image via... Anyway, it often helped.

Last time I read anything about this kind of stuff - and it was several years ago - these options were still configurable. If they still are now, you could set yours for less simultaneous connections. Depending on what browser you use, I suppose. Firefox might be your best bet, but that's only a guess.

Unfortunately, I no longer retain the specific knowledge. Try a web search for "how to limit number of simultaneous connections in web browser" or the like. It'll either provide the information or it won't, and if it does, the actual method ought to be (if memory serves) pretty simple both to implement and to "recover from" if/when your situation improves.

BtW, I'm missing the "Reason for editing" thing we used to have when editing a post, where we could type some text and it'd show up beside the time/date of last edit.

I've been noticing this all day. When I reply to a post in a thread - like I just did in this one - I'll often see a message that the thread has new posts in it, and to click to see them. When I do, I don't end up at the correct position to do so. Also, I often see my reply, some posts around it, and indication that there is another page (the actual next page number is there) with at least some replies on it. If I click on that next page number, I just end up seeing the same posts I've just looked at. I don't think this is a forum transition issue; it seems more like it's just a bug with the forum software that ought to get posted to its bug-tracker page. I'll try to pay more attention in the next day or three so I can describe it better. But in the meantime, I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this behavior?

Congrats on making this huge switchover (mostly) work. Incredible really how well it's working.
The old site was so complex- like a huge puzzle written in hieroglyphics (for me anyway) . Four years of frequent use and I still sometimes felt like I was inabiting the tip of the iceberg. This is still written in hieroglyphics but seems more finite and I think will be easy to get to the bottom of.

-As Nivek mentioned- I always preferred viewing the posts on a thread in order of newest to oldest.

-When I click on a thread that has new posts -sometimes it takes me to the new posts- sometimes to page one. As in- the oldest page. Seems unreliable - unless it's something I'm doing but I really don't think so. I don't see any reason I should ever have to be sent to the start of a thread I'm subbed to- unless I choose that.

- also would be nice to have better links within threads to the various pages.
As it is- not only does clicking on one of my subbed threads take me to page one - I have to scroll all the way to the bottom to find an option to view other pages.
No doubt this is stuff you're already planning to adjust - but hey- you asked :)

- would be nice to see in the headline who posted last on a thread - as we used to.

- our rep points are gone. :( Not that this will keep me up at night- but it was a fun game- and many years and zillions of hours went into building those reps. If it's a fresh start - so be it. If those reps will be carried over - also cool. Actually...cooler

Thanks again. Good job. If I don't completely hate it now - I think that means I'm going to like it.

Oh yeah and

Spammers?
Gone??
-

I LOVE IT!!!

Love the preview button!

Love the return of emoji's!

If you run your own website or blog it's posting options are recognizable.

The posting box top nav is common and also easy to figure out.

The simplicity YES.

The conversations YES.

The tweaks will get tweaked, in due time guys.

Easy to view more thread subscriptions.

Easy to multiquote.

Really easy on the eyes overall.

Large editing fields, WOOHOO!

Logical pull downs.

Extra features all over the place.

Love the option to extend or contract long messages.

Increased word count.

Appreciate the privacy & preferences options.

Love the option to view more messages already posted in the thread I'm replying to.

Love the pic viewer, easier to organize.

WAY FASTER OVERALL!

YOU GUYS NAILED IT! Welcome to 2018 folks! Now 420 Magazine is back on top!

Here is a guide to uploading photos using the Chrome Browser on a mobile device:

First, tap on the hamburger icon to the left of the 420 Magazine Logo

This calls up a sidebar menu. "Media" is the new term for our gallery, so tap on that

Then, tap on "Add Media"

Add media to: Select "Member Galleries"

Then Tap on "Upload File"

Choose "Photo Library" to access your phone-photos

Then choose one or multiple photos from your phone and confirm

Tap "Save" and the photo(s) will be uploaded to the gallery

I haven't fully navigated around the site yet but this was a bit of an issue for me. While these instructions/setup may work great for phones and galleries it's not very good for desktop users, atleast for me. To explain, the previous setup for uploading pictures had an 'upload bar' that had space for 7 pics at a time that I could drag and drop pictures to. I could use a regular Windows directory or I could use an image viewing software like ACDSee so I could view my images, see which ones I liked and wanted to upload, then drag and drop from there into the 420 image uploader, which also allowed for multiple image uploads (up to 7), and then it would take me to another page where I could add a title, description, tags, etc for each image. It worked great. Now (unless I'm doing things wrong) it seems like I can no longer drag and drop and can only upload a file one at a time by clicking the uploading file icon and clicking through every directory to get to my picture location and at best only being able to use the windows file upload window to see a tiny thumbnail and having to manually click through every directory for every single picture upload. It may work well on a phone to navigate to the gallery and go from there but using my desktop it seems really annoying.

Images in the member gallery don't currently display, but I think that was already mentioned and it's just gotta wait for full image database migration. Having blank boxes sucks.

Also I clicked to check out the 420 news and that page is still using the old format though I'm sure it's already on the update-to-do list. Not sure about any other pages. Will keep playing around.

Oops, forgot to mention I'm liking the look of the layout so far. And I'm sure any issues will get ironed out with time. Keep up the great work and nice job on such a huge website upgrade.

I'm with Grow2HealMe. I've spent a day with it and I'm surprised how easily I found everything, and how nice it is to have some of the new features. I have NOT tried uploading pics, which appears to be a different story, but the main journaling interface is definitely better. It has a snappier feel to it, like it's faster, and the graphics are cleaner.

Frankly, for me, it's been a particularly smooth transition. :thumb:

Heheh, and it's been fun to be using it while the bugs got worked on - like tuning - little rough edges keep getting worked out. :Namaste:

I am only on page 3 so have some reading to do and not sure if these have been mentioned or not but wanted to mention here.

there are obviously a lot of negatives but want to mention a couple things that I like about the new format; on both my iPad and cell (I do not use my computer at all for the mag) when you click on a sub or watched thread, it brings you right to where you left off! Also like the click to expand option so I don't need to see a photo dump a bunch of times on 1 page but I can look if I want!

I know there is a lot that is still getting ironed out, but I have seen both positives and negatives with the roll out. i know it has been mentioned in the contests that the voting will be fixed soon but I was wondering if there was an estimated time for it to be done, and I was wondering if the votes that had been placed before the update was rolled out will still count.

What's odd Amy is that docs pics load find for me but only a few of your loaded for me.

It's probably been mentioned but multi quote doesn't seem to be working.
For the multi quotr you hit the plus on the things you want to quote like normal and then after you hit reply there is am "Insert Quotes" button under the response box. Hit that and you can choose which quotes to add in!

Can you post a link to one of these threads with slow-loading pages? My computer is not new, was pretty inexpensive (in regards to the average prices at the time it was purchased by the original owner), and I'm using a twelve- or fifteen-year old wireless router as a bridge to access some neighborly bandwidth. In other words, if what you are experiencing is a universal issue instead of something that's just on your end, I probably ought to be able to experience it, too. Should be a good test.

Good idea...

Page 926-27 of this one.

Doc Bud's Q&A

And page 16 of this one (link should drop you on that page, i hope)

My current journal

And I just noticed Gray posted that the indexing is still going on, and will be for a couple of days yet. So it's likely just a patience issue... :rollit:

Back
Top Bottom