Breaking Brix: Buck's DIYs

This is going to take a bit to write out, but I think it should be done for posterity. Small checklist of things I am going through to get this thing running right.
First off. This is for vero 29 se's with 140mm heatsinks. Don't know if it applies to cree's, citizen's, boards, or other chips, but I'm sure some of it will apply.

Here's the setup before ripping it apart.

I should not have put the refelctor holders on before wiring it together and testing it. I thought since I knew where the positives are and negatives are, that I wouldn't run into any problems with the wiring or poke in connections. That's true and not at the same time. I wanted a good solid contact between the chip, thermal paste, and heatsink. Problem with the Vero's is that the reflector holder uses the same screw as the chip covering the poke in disconnects. Looking back, my wanting of a solid thermal paste is not as important as making sure that every connection is solid and a full signal is going through the whole system first, if that makes sense. The paste should glue it enough for you to test it first with a quick fire up, then unscrew your chips, add the holders, and put it together finally. If your using pads, this probably isn't so much of a problem.

Alright, so I tested the system before I ripped it apart and did not get a signal through the eight chips or when graytail told me to drop down to seven. Problem was with that is.. I don't remember if I tried it backwards which I will explain here in a sec. So I took the whole thing apart down to just the chips and every wire seperate. All wires gave me 0 ohms. Wago's tested good and tried different one's just in case. All chips at first gave me open line or OL. But when I put the positive of my meter on the negative of the chip and the negative/common of my meter on the positive of the chip, this is the resistance I got on the chips from the photo above from top left.

1.1 .7
1.05 .5
.95 .5
.5 .5

Tested connections with just my meter and realized that 1 was now 0. Now I have no idea what those numbers mean, but it does make me think for another reason why I would never run chips in parallel. Just opinion here. But these chips are too sensitive and each one is so different. You couldn't get the exact voltage to run exactly for each chip in parallel if I'm understanding it correctly. It also told me at least that I'm getting some sort of signal through the chips and each one was so different and fluctuating which made me come up with some other weird theory... like the five's were getting more sunlight from the window than the others and if you look at the angle. Top left was the highest, the furthest from the angle of sunlight. Were these things acting like solar panels. Look at the angle of measurements. Weird.

All right, back to the task at hand. Now that I know it's not my chips or one chip for that matter. Not the wiring or the poke in connection since once I put it back together and doing my reverse ohm test. I got zero through the system. Then I thought. Ok. My potentiometer is testing @ 101k, but what if it's not sending right signal. Think it was Fanleaf that said if you disconnect one wire it will pull full power which didn't make sense to me. It would seem that you would have to connect both wires together on the dimmer lead to get full power. Didn't matter. Tried it both ways and still no light.

At this point. I'm getting 333v on the dc line from the driver still as I said in previous post. I know I have solid connection on all wires and chips, so I connected a different extenstion cord straight to the driver without the potentiometer or my box with fuses. Still... no light.

My next step that I am working on now is to hook up the 240h-c2100b to three chips on each side and then the final two. If it fires up, I gotta put plugs and shit on it tonight/late first, then I'll know it's a bad 480h, but that still wouldn't explain why I would be getting the 333v on the DC.

We shall see said the blind man.

Ok. Whoever said Zincite is a moron is actually the moron. The only reason I didn't do this...

Reverse the leads and see what you get.

Was.. I was afraid of blowing my chips. I don't know. I get the 240-2100 all wired up and then it pops in my head, how am I going to blow my chips if he is right and it is backwards, I'd already be blowing my chips if I have it backwards. So I wire it backwards like Zincite suggested and what do I get from that idiotic statement that I totally disconsidered at first that ended up being the smartest thing ever...

I wired the damn DC line backwards. Since I got that 333v I didn't even check to see which was positive. Had the volts, thought it was right.

Pretty sure everything I posted above still applies to setting up your Vero's though. Can't see why it wouldn't.

Don't know how people feel religiously around here. I just know I believe in God. If I wouldn't have messed up that one plug to get the DC reversed. I would not Have had to check the system because it would have fired up, but not running right. I would have not gotten the slap from graytail about my numbers being wrong on the driver to get it to run correctly and I think it would have taken me days to figure out messing up other parts, chips, screws stripping, connections, just to figure out why the output was not going correctly. Lesson well learned. Thanks guys for the input.

Ack, didn't mean it to sound like a slap - more like "is it plugged it?" :p

And the direction of DC usually doesn't matter. :hmmmm:

Glad you got 'er runnin'! :thumb:

Ack, didn't mean it to sound like a slap - more like "is it plugged it?" :p

And the direction of DC usually doesn't matter. :hmmmm:

Glad you got 'er runnin'! :thumb:

The DC positive and negative to the chips does not matter? That's their main power. Why would that not matter? Why put a positive and negative on the driver and the chips if it did not matter? Come on bro, you seriously have to be messing with me.

The DC positive and negative to the chips does not matter? That's their main power. Why would that not matter? Why put a positive and negative on the driver and the chips if it did not matter? Come on bro, you seriously have to be messing with me.
Hey clobber, sorry for absence, been getting more treatments and been in bed. Are they running now. I can draw you a simple wiring diagram for a series build. I'm running 2 hlg 480-c1400b drivers. I have 9 cobs per driver. With vero I always use 38 volts as voltage to figure driver size. I have a few 240h-c1400 drivers, 4 of them have only been used on bench just to test boards and cobs, haven't been hung on light. They might have an hour of runtime on them, but probably more like 15-20 mins lol.

Just make sure your positive off of driver goes to positive of first chip, then it wires negative to positive. At end of your string of cobs you'll have negative going to negative of the driver to complete the loop.

Hey clobber, sorry for absence, been getting more treatments and been in bed. Are they running now. I can draw you a simple wiring diagram for a series build. I'm running 2 hlg 480-c1400b drivers. I have 9 cobs per driver. With vero I always use 38 volts as voltage to figure driver size. I have a few 240h-c1400 drivers, 4 of them have only been used on bench just to test boards and cobs, haven't been hung on light. They might have an hour of runtime on them, but probably more like 15-20 mins lol.

Just make sure your positive off of driver goes to positive of first chip, then it wires negative to positive. At end of your string of cobs you'll have negative going to negative of the driver to complete the loop.

Hey man, you do not ever have to apologize to me. I just want you to be well and take care. With everything you have given to this world... you deserve the rest. Hope that doesn't sound too cheesy. I tend to type shit out and then an hour later, I reread it and I either sound like a moron who can't explain it right or a total dick.

Yea. 38 is what the nomenclature is, but sometimes... I just want that .4v damnit. jk.

I got it running. You can see my babbling on my journal.

Hmm, you want to trade this 480-1750 for two of your 240-1400's? This has only seen about 5 min of runtime lol. I'll ship this to you and you send me the two if you want it. I'm just trying to run the wiring in my head. Four Vero's per... there's no reason why I can not keep just the one controller and dimmer? right? Couple of Wago's... np

Ok. Since I tend to babble on Bucks page, I want to go back to my crazy theory of the sunlight. Has anyone tested this? If I had extra chips and the time I would test this to see how nuts I am. K, we all know the output voltage on just one vero. 37.6v plus output wattage. The way I was getting those ohm readings and the sunlight made me come up with this. Has anyone tried pointing two chips at each other to see what the output v and watts are? Could one chip turned off actually accept light to half the voltage and watt's used by your output light? Totally wouldn't be cost effective, but it would be weird.

Like one samsung in the middle of four chips upside down right under the other chips.

x x
x x

or if you had lights built on the bottom pointing up and two lights pointing at each other actually reduces wattage used by each light. I'm not talking about 3w per inch shit, but the lights themselves not having to put out as much energy. I know it doesn't make sense, but I am going to test this weird theory some way or another. Seen it.

Basically as far as people in the spectrum between white and black let me know that they will handle the 304 's and the 288's.Plus the 312 that I'm running. I have to design my own one now. Yea, one board. I did the same thing with my sheets of alum, you showed me it. Anyways....It's just whether or not you want to spend a few extra bucks to go.. HEY, LOOK AT MY SHIT IT'S THE BOMB, FIRE,,, BLAH, MY LIGHTS ARE THE SHIT MAN/DUDE/WHATEVER. I'm a dick.net or .org or fuck it.

Are the ones for $11 only big enough to hold one board? I got my sheet metal for 20 a sheet and I can have 3 boards on each one.
If you look at the photos, she sent me one with a double board one, which I'm assuming would be 22 bucks don't know why I didn't mention that in last post. Think I was on the green side. Like I said, I have to send her my design anyways... so,,, I will get quotes for two, three and four also.

The one I'm designing should be the same size, the only difference is it having each rail on the length side shaved off, few extra holes for the plastic that I used to attach vero's to my aluminum, and the first rails covered on the front for the same reason if that makes sense. I should have my design done by monday and I'll post it up.

Afternoon Clobber and friends. I know i'm a little late with this info ...piss me off....but your issues around the light u were working on. I just read thru those posts and wish i could have seen it earlier. Clobber, just remember with voltages...DC , is polarity sensitive and AC is NOT! It always matters when working with a device that is DC that you hook +, positive to positive ...and if they are color coded, keep the match the same.
Oh BTW ...electrician 30+ yrs. Just sayin OK. Pretty cool light ...you got more room to add more cobs too...:thumb:

Afternoon Clobber and friends. I know i'm a little late with this info ...piss me off....but your issues around the light u were working on. I just read thru those posts and wish i could have seen it earlier. Clobber, just remember with voltages...DC , is polarity sensitive and AC is NOT! It always matters when working with a device that is DC that you hook +, positive to positive ...and if they are color coded, keep the match the same.
Oh BTW ...electrician 30+ yrs. Just sayin OK. Pretty cool light ...you got more room to add more cobs too...:thumb:

Yea, thanks for the input Duggan. I'm 20+ years too. But mine has always been rewiring old victorians with new romex up to knew codes or new homes. Not used to these small dc voltages and shit so I tend to brain fart a lot on it. Like the boards I got.. talking to graytail about this how I got them and it's like this...
So it took Graytail and the lady I got them from to tell me both postives on top negatives on bottom. But my curiosity took hold to understand what was going on before hooking it up. Took a magnifying glass to see that the copper strips were all on bottom and top running in parallel through each chip, then it totally made sense. Now I got this problem, hooked up 6 boards to a 480 - 1750. 80 watts a piece, but I was only getting 400 micromules at 8" from light. Going to recheck it today. Something is not right. Check all wires, draw from wall, and all of that crap.

I will not allow this treachery. I do not build this forest of clobberwatts to have teenage children rebel. I dispatched my tie fighters to catch this so called "aluminum flacum".

Back
Top Bottom