BrixNewb's First Grow & Beyond

I wish I could offer some help but I'm an artificial nutrient user. I have followed a few grows of LOS and when they get deficiencies I go with "get supplements and give them what they need!" But some LOS growers hold fast to the "it's in the soil" method while their leaves shrivel around them, which means it's not in the soil! I say "harvest before pride."
With the kit you can only Recharge, Rescue, or Destress. They will be fine though.

And the numbers are in:

Blueberry, grown with Doc Bud’s HBB kit under Timber COBs weighed in at 169 grams, which calculates out to a smidge over 6 ounces.

That’s the second plant in kit soil that he’s harvested since I got here that gave up near 6 ounces. :slide:

Some parting shots of the lovelies. I fly out tomorrow morning for a three-week play date with a couple members and their loved ones, but couldn’t leave without sharing. :battingeyelashes:

Brix started the evening’s work by upcanning the Candy Cane into his new Octopot.

Yes, you heard that correctly. He’s the proud owner of his second Octopot, and with this one he’s attempting what we all want to see, a combo DBHBB/Octopot grow. :slide:

Candy Cane has agreed to be the sacrificial lamb. It’s a strong and hearty chemovar that’s survived any number of challenges in my own gardens, so I have every confidence she’ll come through for him.

It’s time to do some harvesting. :yahoo: Brix and I can share this one, and he’ll have the other two coming down within the next week or so. Today it’s the oldest of the trio.

This chemovar shows so many different colors simultaneously it’s breathtaking!

Out of the tent.....

....and stripped of her fans. She rested here overnight. We’ll be starting the trimming party in a few.

The space she opened was immediately filled by the youngest of the trio.

It’s incredible the difference a week will make in the girth of these buds.

Purple Punch is fragrant, delicious, and a delightful buzz, as per those who’ve partaken. It’s a crowd favorite. Brix’s goal with this magnificent chemovar is to increase harvest yields. If the Candy Cane experiment works you can bet your life it’ll be with the kit. To replicate this quality using the energy of Doc’s system in an Octopot is too delicious a thought to let fade into the ethers without attempting it.

Let’s all cross the fingers and toes and set our expectations to watching Candy Cane explode. I’ve seen the success Brix has with the kit up close and personal. If this combo idea works....... :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

A sticky Purple Punch harvest on the books....

That was fun. :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

One last look before I fly off.....

It’ll all be changed by the time I get back. It’s expected the Purple Punches and Pineapple Chunks will all be harvested by then and this beauty will be the star.

Brix has to wire her up more. She’s so heavy she’s threatening to topple.

Showing no signs whatsoever of slowing down. Just when we think she can’t get any thicker.....:slide:

Brix picked up some tomato cages in an attempt to regain verticle control.

The next PP up for harvest.

Candy Cane felt noticeably perkier at lights on last night. I have a good feeling about this.

Brix had a talk with the Octopot developer and they determined that he has a high probability of success melding the kit with Octopot. Buckle up babies, the ride’s gonna pick up speed. Lol!

When I come back at the end of the month I’ll be sure to drop lots more pictures. :ciao:

If the nutrients in the kit don't work out the next step is to add a small air stone, I already have one picked out should the need arise. Chris said he thinks it will be fine. I checked last night and there was definitely a heavy film at the bottom of the pot, but I stuck in a pipette and gave it a quick stir and so far it looks like its fine.

Beautiful Purple Punch Brix! I sure do like the PP crosses, Black Cherry Punch in particular, I'd love to try the PP someday. Good luck with the melding of the Octopot and the kit, I'll be paying close attention. Tell the missus high from us. I wish we could hang out again.
Thanks man, she is a pretty easy girl to grow for me. I have eyed Black Cherry Punch in other people's gardens, she is definitely something interesting. I am hoping the kit and the Octo work out, it would be a fun new way to grow the kit. We should know sooner rather than later what it will take. I will let her know, we will have to get together again sometime.

I am hoping the kit and the Octo work out, it would be a fun new way to grow the kit. We should know sooner rather than later what it will take. I will let her know, we will have to get together again sometime.

I'm getting to a point where I'm seeing problems with hempy and a large production setup. Reaching around some. You have me pondering Octopots with perlite in them.

Octopots were designed for Sunshine Mix #4, if I were in your position that is probably what I would shoot for. The instructions speak to Promix HP not having enough perlite and Sunshine Mix #4 having more perlite, so on the other end I think all perlite would be too much perlite. But you could give them a call, I am sure he would gladly talk to you about what could work for you. I can say that yield is WAY up using the Octo with Texas Tomato. Smoke test will tell us what we really want to know.

Wow your garden is looking gorgeous Brix! Just my opinion I've only grown in soil up until my last few megacrop perlite hempy harvests and so far I can't tell the difference between my soil buds and my hempy buds. They both smoke great! I'm gonna be doing a side by side soon to test the yield from the same clones in each medium which will let me know if I wanna stay with the hempys. I feel the organic soil might win out but I can see the benefits of using perlite like less pests and lighter pots.

Wow your garden is looking gorgeous Brix! Just my opinion I've only grown in soil up until my last few megacrop perlite hempy harvests and so far I can't tell the difference between my soil buds and my hempy buds. They both smoke great! I'm gonna be doing a side by side soon to test the yield from the same clones in each medium which will let me know if I wanna stay with the hempys. I feel the organic soil might win out but I can see the benefits of using perlite like less pests and lighter pots.
With the Octopot I really wouldn't want to be moving plants regardless of the medium, because you will have a res with gallons of water in it regardless. I am just speaking to the Octopot. I actually have some hempy plants going myself currently. I am interested in checking it out myself, just not in the Octopot.

The irony of you investigating hempy pots whilst I investigate Ocotopots is noted.
Thanks for the words.
I might have to try it with a home-made version. One of my big phobias regarding growing is bugs. Living in the semi-outdoor grow config for so long, I had visitors when I let my guard down. The single largest factor in battling the bugs in my eyes was my lack of soil medium. Most bugs use the soil for reproduction, and that just doesn't happen in the perlite, so one of their major attack vectors was eliminated.
Having said that, the simple lack of having to deal with runoff is incredibly appealing right now. My 'JackLeg Engineering' techniques have not been great and I'm soon going to have to put something in place more effective. I may actually install some sort of raised floor and just floor collection, but that seems way messy and problematic. The other thought train involves raised pot stands with a drainage connection.
Dammit! Life's getting mighty complicated!

The irony of you investigating hempy pots whilst I investigate Ocotopots is noted.
Thanks for the words.
I might have to try it with a home-made version. One of my big phobias regarding growing is bugs. Living in the semi-outdoor grow config for so long, I had visitors when I let my guard down. The single largest factor in battling the bugs in my eyes was my lack of soil medium. Most bugs use the soil for reproduction, and that just doesn't happen in the perlite, so one of their major attack vectors was eliminated.
Having said that, the simple lack of having to deal with runoff is incredibly appealing right now. My 'JackLeg Engineering' techniques have not been great and I'm soon going to have to put something in place more effective. I may actually install some sort of raised floor and just floor collection, but that seems way messy and problematic. The other thought train involves raised pot stands with a drainage connection.
Dammit! Life's getting mighty complicated!

The thing about the Octopot is that the top layer actually remains dry since you only top water once, so beyond that the top layer actually remains dry.

Back
Top Bottom