Bryan's Soil In & Outdoor Grow 2020

Thanks for the tip! I never knew it would keep going through the leaves. I think from now I'll leave them then. My friend wants to use a raw cannabis leaf in food so maybe we'll take a couple more down the road to experiment lol

I saw how you did your plant cages with the net and am thinking of doing the same kinda idea now, it'd be nice to have permanent places for them like that

A little bit of a different perspective with this one. I did some supercropping and LST this morning. Going to give the Triwalker a watering with only cal mag today. The BBK needed watered again a couple days ago so thankfully they are drinking good. Also I counted tops on the BBK as well after the LST and looking at 18 tops, maybe one more top and then calling it and just letting her go from there. Anyways happy Saturday to all!

20200606_085412.jpg

What's the weather like at your place?

A typical day is 70-80 in the sun with around 60% rh. It really is lovely here. And for the most part sunny but when we get storms rolling through they definitely bring the wind with them!

A couple of them looked like they were getting a little heat stress on them now that I'm looking at the photos again. I'll have to watch them tomorrow and maybe just keep them in the shade

Got some yard work done this past weekend and holy hell its been rough but good. I started making my fabric pot stands that im using for next years grow with 30 gal pots. Still got quite a bit more to do before being able to actually set them properly and start making a cage around them. I stole the idea for the stands from another memeber's journal. If you remember who it is please tag him/her so they can get credit for the ideas.
20200615_133821_HDR.jpg

20200615_144335.jpg

I figured with as much as she helped out with this I would include her in a photo

20200615_153259.jpg

Plants are doing very good, I topped the skywalker hybrid yesterday, so here's up to 16 tops. Topped some of the GDP as well. BBK will be getting topped here soon for the final time. Hopeing to have all topping done before june so there is plenty of time to grow instead of recover.

Hope everyone had a great Monday!!

Whew its been a very warm week. Temps in the sun have been north off 80. Most of the plants are doing fine with the heat and only 2 are showing minor signs of stress with the folded leaves, both are GDP.

I forgot to make an entry a few days ago with watering and feeding. Today I fed the BBK and Skywalker Hybrid, both are looking beautiful and happy. I topped the BBK yesterday, this will be the last topping. Ive upped the Age Old from 10ml/gal to 12 and kept everything else the same. Frequency of watering and feeding has for sure increased. Within a few days now the pots are very light again. Tomorrow morning I will be watering the GDP, the sun is just beating down now in midday. Overall I'm extremely happy with how the grow is going so far, I'm very much looking forward to the rest of it!

Now for the show

BBK
20200618_152725_HDR.jpg

Skywalker Hybrid

20200618_152732_HDR.jpg

GDP

20200618_152743.jpg
20200618_152755.jpg
20200618_152812_HDR.jpg
20200618_152818_HDR.jpg

Ive also been putting in the work to create a nice growing area in our backyard. I want to create a nice sunny area out of the typical line of sight and not on our picnic table lol

The plan is having 6 x 30 gal fabric pots for next season. I did a quick test fit with a 5 gal on the stands I made.

20200618_152346.jpg

Now that these are done its time for some landscaping work to get things ready. Can only really work for a couple hours before it gets too hot out here.

20200618_152851_HDR.jpg

The area is gonna have 2 rows of 3 plants with a 2 ft walkway in the middle and about a foot between the plants. Still figuring out if I want to make a cage for each plant or make 2 big cages

Hey everyone so after some help in the Problems part of the forum and doing some research I found that I have a Potassium deficiency. I believe it was caused due to excess Ca or Mg hindering the uptake of the K. I learned that they the 3 elements are antagonistic to each other, so as one increases uptake the others decrease, I believe. Today i leached 2 more of the pots to remove the salt build up. Tomorrow i will get the last 2. Going to move to only giving Cal Mag when im giving water and let the ferts be by themselves. Hopefully this will prevent future deficiencies

Attachments

• 20200623_120622.jpg
    20200623_120622.jpg
    707.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200623_120616.jpg
    20200623_120616.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200623_120610.jpg
    20200623_120610.jpg
    691.7 KB · Views: 15
Hope everyone is having a fantastic week! Here are some updates on the grow and things I'm changing up:

I have learned and been educated on following the lunar calendar, so after today we'll being following that for directions.

I will be adding the Big Bloom from Fox Farm, I have it for the auto im growing on the side and have 2 bottles so I can use 1 of them for this.

I am changing when I give supplements. For Cal Mag I will do every other watering, never including it in the food day mix, as to not interact with the Potash again.

I think that's it with what I want to change grow-wise. Today the first 4 pots to get leached were dried back out for the most part. So after leaching the last 2 plants I went ahead and fed the other 4. I tested out my pot stands today while feeding and I found out that the 5 quarts I was giving at every watering didn't produce any runoff, so I think the accumulation of salts is highly likely at this point. I think I will keep a total of 5 quarts when I feed but up the water to 2 gal to produce some runoff and help move the salts away.

The mix I used today is:

Age Old Grow Fert - 10ml/gal
(I went to 12 ml before I noticed the K def and had some burn so I want to back down a tad)
Liquid Seaweed/Kelp - 20ml/gal
(I want to start increasing this to near what's on the bottle)
Fox Farms Tiger Bloom - 20ml/gal
(I'm hoping that alternating this and Cal-Mag+ will be a good way to keep them from interfering with each other)

The BBK is really coming along beautifully and I most definitely want to attempt taking clones from her. She didnt even blink about with the soil leaching, the rest all had droppy, heavy leaves but not her. This girl really has been through the ringer and just keeps going. Im kinda nervous about how tall shes getting so I really tried stretching her out with some pretty heavy LST

20200625_151252_HDR.jpg

The Skwalker Hybrid is also looking great IMO, I want some clones from her as well. I was looking over her and noticed a couple of leaves were stuck together, so I went to go move them and as they separated there was a massive spider web holding them and a couple more leaves together!:woohoo: (not). I about crapped my pants when I saw the spider that made the web come rushing out and darting across the canopy lmao going to for sure be spraying some heavy Agromagen tonight. Other than the little friend she attracted a gorgeous looking plant, I really love the tone of her leaves the dark green is really something. I can't wait to see the colors she'll get in flower. I honestly haven't really looked what colors the strains are as its the one that's a mystery, and I kinda like that about her.

20200625_151259.jpg

The Granddaddy Purple... I feel there is 2 distinct looks between the 4 of them. I'll number them for ease.

GDP 1, she grew some freaking massive leaves, easily 1.5 times my hand size after leaching the soil. She also stretched like a mofo and blasted past the second ring on the cage. Im still trying to figure GDP 1 and GDP 2, the long skinny ones, out. From being flushed 4 days ago to drying out and being fed today, their leaves never stopped drooping. The stems are kinda soft and also really bendy.

20200625_151311_HDR.jpg

GDP 2 also exploded past the second ring, I did some LST around the tomato cage to help with the weaker stem. Super cropped as well to open the area for the branches on each to grow big too. This morning only a couple of the tops are point back up, most are pretty floppy. I think I maybe have been to a bit too rough. She'll come back around, I'm gonna put some string to hold the top in place from drooping.

20200625_151329_HDR.jpg

GDP 3 she is coming along pretty well too, other than the skywalker she is the only one still being strictly mainlined with no side branches. Currently on 8 tops will be looking at going to 16 when the lunar calendar says its pruning day. This girl is growing a little slower but still has kept pace with some of the others. I cant believe has big the knot at the base of the plant has gotten! I also figured it would straighten out, not keep growing.

20200625_151337.jpg
20200625_151348.jpg

GDP 4 this to me seems like the happiest of the 4 plants, not the biggest but just has an overall healthier feel about her canopy without all of the topping the others got. The leaves aren't super big but they're all straight and not deformed.

20200625_151356_HDR.jpg

Sorry for the absolutely massive freakin post haha thanks for making it through. Im gonna go make myself up a bowl, burn it, and kick back for a little bit now. Peace out y'all!

Happy almost Friday lol gave the girls a good 2 gal watering this morning (only additive was ph down) after testing the plants in the new growing area, I'm very excited to start seeing more progress on the building process.

Plants are looking good (minus K def burns) and growing stupid quick (to me at least) how do you go about knowing when "the stretch" is? I've read that asymmetrical growth is one sign but I've had that for a little while now on most of my plants. I've got my Age old Bloom showing up in the next week or so in preparation.

I made a post maybe 2 weeks or so ago about having a K deficiency, and after getting some advice and learning some good things. I leeched the soil. I have since applied some FF Tiger Bloom and Liquid Kelp the K def has seemed to continue. I've been keeping my ph as close to 6.3 as well. The def has seemed to move further up the plants burning leaves that are a couple layers down from the top.

20200702_123308_HDR.jpg

After a long week I finally have some time to sit down and write some updates here. Since school has started and this semester has been insane, I haven't had much time to get out and keep up with the mainlining pruning so there's been a lot of branching but they seem to really like it so I'm just gonna keep letting them go. As far as food is concerned I have only been giving water for a little bit now, food will be given tomorrow morning, I will be increasing the Age Old to 1 tsp/gal and see how they take it. I also added a good layer of cedar chips to help with moisture retention, they're needing watered almost every day now. I am looking at up potting as well with some LOS that will be used next year as well. I have a recipe that I found from an organic cannabis growing site, the name is leaving me for now but i will post it in the next post.

For the BBK, she has been growing like a monster! She's gotten very bushy over this past week. Not very many pistils showing still, there is some though, so I don't think she is near the flowering stage yet.
20200711_180447.jpg

The Skywalker trio is looking super healthy as well, growing super fast too. This girl is definitely being put through the wringer sadly, one of the dogs hit my LST string and ripped a whole f'ing branch off. I can't wait to finally have an enclosure to keep the pets out lol Also seems like she has a bit more to go before flowering too
20200711_180455_HDR.jpg

GDP 1 shes growing very rapidly and tall as well. It is weird that no matter what I do, water more or let dry out a bit more, her leaves are still real droopy. But maybe its the shear size of leaves compared to the actual plant, she has by far the largest leaves out of the 6. She is seeming pretty close to switching to flower
20200711_180517.jpg

GDP 2 is definitely the closest to flowering, however she has the same issue as GDP 1 with the droopy leaves. Growth has been very strong and I think she is "stretching" I've included a pic of the new growth and s**t ton of pistils growing from her too
20200711_180526.jpg
20200711_180552.jpg

GDP 3 growing steady, she is the smallest of the girls but still looks pretty healthy. Also not many pistils growing at this point
20200711_180502.jpg

GDP 4 growing very similarly to GDP 3, not great but steady growth. Which is all I can ask for out of this thrown together grow.
20200711_180509.jpg

Here is the recipe for the Living Organic Soil that I found. My reason for switching is for overall ease and its going to be cheaper overall not having to continuously add more and more nutrients just the biweekly mulching and compost tea. I'm not quite sure how they came up with the recipe but their plants look absolutely amazing so I figure its worth a shot

20200711_183310.jpg

Sorry for not being on here at all, I've been trying to re-center myself during these crazy few months. However I really don't want abandoned journals and want to see this through to the end for improving yields for next season. So, flowering is in full swing up here just got done feeding the girls this morning. I'm trying to figure out a good feed and water schedule since the 5 gal pots dry out daily, sometimes I even need to water around 1 or 2 pm to keep them from getting too bad. I think I'm going to start feeding every other day with a lighter nute mix as I started noticing deficiencies. I also got a carbon filter for my hose to help clean the water a little more just in case. I have some caterpillars somewhere in a few o the plants but have only been able to find 1 or 2 of them :/

Previous nute mix: (Feeding 1 or 2 times a week)
Age Old Bloom - 2 tbsp/gal
Cal-Mag+ - 5 ml/gal
Silica Blast - 5 ml/gal

Ph ~6.4-6.6

What I'm switching to: (Feeding every other day)
Age Old Bloom - 1 tbsp/gal
Cal-Mag + - 5 ml/gal
Silica Blast - 5 ml/gal

On to the girls:

Blueberry Kush:

Still looking like a K def on the bottom but growing very well and healthy. She has become the "bushiest" of the 6 and seems to really enjoy the horizontal growing, which means I probably need to be on top of supporting the buds as they grow, more so than the others.

Skywalker Hybrid:

Looking very healthy as well, not much different to say from the BBK, she is growing a bit taller but not as wide. I'm very excited for the aroma to start flowing.

GDP 1:

Just WOW! By far the tallest of the plants (Highest point is taller than I am at 5'10") , I kinda messed up with nutes though and switched to flower nutes a little early which caused a N deficiency during the stretch. I moved to 1tbsp/gal Grow and 1tbsp/gal Bloom after noticing the def. I also have been using her as a visual for when food is needed as well. For a couple days after feeding all of her big leaves stand up more and when they start being droopy during midday, with the right water I know to feed next morning which is also part of why I'm changing my feed schedule as well. I'm not liking waiting for her to be out of balance before correcting, trying to be more proactive with them. Stretch seems to be over though so switched back to full Bloom nutrients. Very excited to see the buds she produces as she is by far the most stretched sativa-like plant I have.

GDP 2:

She was the first to start producing flowers and is giving off an amazing dank smell. This is the only plant currently producing visible resin. I want to try a test bud out but don't know how long to wait before clipping one off. These flowers are very fat and wide looking

GDP 3:

This girl is the special one of the 6, she has purple pistils all over which look absolutely beautiful. I still don't know why but I have read that it's somewhat common with outdoor plants, due to the high UV radiation from the Sun. I left a few of the stakes in a bit too long and she ended up starting to grow around them but I got the stakes out in time and there's only 3 marks where they used to be.

GDP 4:

Pretty standard growth and stretch comparatively.

Here are the photos for all of the Granddaddy Purple and some closeups

Attachments

• GDP 1.jpg
    GDP 1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • GDP 1 Closeup.jpg
    GDP 1 Closeup.jpg
    864.4 KB · Views: 17
  • GDP 2.jpg
    GDP 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
  • GDP 2 Closeup.jpg