C-LOJ Back With Another COCO Grow!

Try out defoliating a few of your plants! I just did on all of my current flowering plants which passed 30 days. I also did it in the previous grow, and noticed increased production. Doing it too early is not good, and too late the plant will take care of it on its own, but during the time frame 420fied mentioned will give best results.

I remove all the large fans all the way around and it certainly doesn't seem to hurt my bud production. Check out my SOG journal and you'll see pictures from defoliation sessions.

Defoliate one of them and then compare it's yield to the others at the end and I bet you'll like what you see.

Best of luck.

Try out defoliating a few of your plants! I just did on all of my current flowering plants which passed 30 days. I also did it in the previous grow, and noticed increased production. Doing it too early is not good, and too late the plant will take care of it on its own, but during the time frame 420fied mentioned will give best results.

Alright guys, I'll give it a go. Research only gets you so far, but until you do an experiment yourself, it is hard to discern conflicting opinions. So I'll try it and see what happens. I'm thinking I'll try 1 plant...maybe 2, for this session. Day 21 of flower will be next Monday.

Thanks Crower! Nope, I didn't top any of these girls, but some had been topped before they were cut from their mother plant.

sorry i didnt chime in on the defoliation... u will like the results!
the way i think about it is would i like a leaf or more bud lol
yes the fan leaves are the storage cells for your sugars used in creating Thc from CBD... however.... when we are supplementing our plants with the necessary nutrients than they arnt as needed. when you go out door you will not defoliate in the way you do indoors as these leaves also protect the plant from harm.
all your new top growth still has Photosynthesis and enough to make the plant grow ao at that point your just spending energy keeping low lying fan leaves alive..... my vote... put the energy towards the Buds!
i pul the bottom 1/3 before flower and at 18-21 days i clear all below the top three nodes on the limbs... than again i take all the large leaves 2 weeks before harvest.

Good luck on your endeavor!
:peace:

I've a theory about fan leaf purpose. Certainly they produce sugar for growth, but unpollenated flowers don't need their output. For seed production, they're required. Their output is no doubt useful for maintainance and growth of roots, but more roots are useless after enough have grown. Maintainance of roots needs less than for growth/expansion. Water & nutes are served up nicely, no need for a huge area search. Light & air are what bud leaf & calyxes need, as long as they're green.

Dept of Agriculture should be running experimental methods, to let us know what works best and why :rofl:
What we do learn is mostly anecdotal, and shared methods from other plants.

sorry i didnt chime in on the defoliation... u will like the results!
the way i think about it is would i like a leaf or more bud lol
yes the fan leaves are the storage cells for your sugars used in creating Thc from CBD... however.... when we are supplementing our plants with the necessary nutrients than they arnt as needed. when you go out door you will not defoliate in the way you do indoors as these leaves also protect the plant from harm.
all your new top growth still has Photosynthesis and enough to make the plant grow ao at that point your just spending energy keeping low lying fan leaves alive..... my vote... put the energy towards the Buds!
i pul the bottom 1/3 before flower and at 18-21 days i clear all below the top three nodes on the limbs... than again i take all the large leaves 2 weeks before harvest.

Good luck on your endeavor!

Thanks for the input Shags! Yeah, it sounds to me like this defoliation technique is far more popular than I had thought. I'm definitely going to give it a try. I've heard enough good feedback from people who have tried it that it would be foolish for me to not try it for myself. I am now really interested to see the results! Sunday will be the day I break out the trimmers. Photos to follow!

I've a theory about fan leaf purpose. Certainly they produce sugar for growth, but unpollenated flowers don't need their output. For seed production, they're required. Their output is no doubt useful for maintainance and growth of roots, but more roots are useless after enough have grown. Maintainance of roots needs less than for growth/expansion. Water & nutes are served up nicely, no need for a huge area search. Light & air are what bud leaf & calyxes need, as long as they're green.

Dept of Agriculture should be running experimental methods, to let us know what works best and why :rofl:

Sounds logical to me Propa-G! My girls' roots are healthy as can be. No problem with them sucking up water for the leaves. I'm gonna go ahead and thin out those big light and airflow blockers and see. :)

Thanks for your input on this as well. Cervantes told me to leave them be, but you all have some great new insight...and first hand experience. I'm excited to see some benefits come from this defoliation technique!

:high-five:

i have to disagree with the statement that more roots are useless after enough have grown.... yes i agree that with a sufficient feeding they dont "need" to have a large amount of space ie. hydro.
yet i have seen a definite correlation to root too bud ratio in soil and mixed substrates... the more space for the roots to grow the more buds can swell
look at an out door grow that is in open soil.... no boundaries for the roots and you get massive trees.... you only feed at the base of the plant and it will take all that and Still look for more room.

your roots are Very important the better the root structure the better the buds! strong Vigorous root growth was one of the traits i looked at when i was breeding my seeds as i want it to work nicely with no mercy and with Hydro as well

ooohhh boy ... im rambling.... ahhh insomnia....:roorrip:

Very nice information. I will be trying defoliation myself now. I've been tucking, but it is hard to keep them out of the way. :nicethread:

Hey AB! Yeah, If the defoliation technique works, it sounds like it could be way more effective than the tuck method. It seems like every time I tuck a big leaf under, it pops back to its same position within a couple days. Gets frustrating, plus I don't like to have leaves touching eachother so much because they get sweaty and end up blocking the airflow. Makes me worry about mold.

Anyway, Thanks for looking in buddy! ;)

i have to disagree with the statement that more roots are useless after enough have grown.... yes i agree that with a sufficient feeding they dont "need" to have a large amount of space ie. hydro.
yet i have seen a definite correlation to root too bud ratio in soil and mixed substrates... the more space for the roots to grow the more buds can swell
look at an out door grow that is in open soil.... no boundaries for the roots and you get massive trees.... you only feed at the base of the plant and it will take all that and Still look for more room.

your roots are Very important the better the root structure the better the buds! strong Vigorous root growth was one of the traits i looked at when i was breeding my seeds as i want it to work nicely with no mercy and with Hydro as well

ooohhh boy ... im rambling.... ahhh insomnia....:roorrip:

Well I certainly don't think that the roots are useless or unimportant once enough of them have grown. I think that Propa-G was trying to say that in these small indoor conditions, and at this stage of the plants' life, it can be more beneficial to get more light to the budsites than to keep the big fan leaves that aid in root production. It is a trade off for sure.

Girls are looking sweet! I'm in a small area as well, and defoliation is a must. I also think side lighting in a small area makes a big difference. I have a couple questions for you, where do you get your coco? I've looked in all the garden centres and have yet to see any. Also what would you recommend for nutes for a first time coco grow? And do you ever mix nutes into your coco mix?

thx cheers ;)

Hey C-LOJ the girls are looking green and great! It's going to be a jungle in there for sure

Hey Surfin. Thanks for lookin in! Yea, it is definitely a jungle in there. Lots of little budlets forming everywhere! I'll have some pics go post tomorrow. ;)

Girls are looking sweet! I'm in a small area as well, and defoliation is a must. I also think side lighting in a small area makes a big difference. I have a couple questions for you, where do you get your coco? I've looked in all the garden centres and have yet to see any. Also what would you recommend for nutes for a first time coco grow? And do you ever mix nutes into your coco mix?

thx cheers ;)

WhiteHouse! Thank for stopping by my journal! :high-five:
I have been getting my coco at a local hydro store in my area. I actually wouldn't know where to get it other than hydro stores or online...I've never seen in sold at a garden center or nursery. Those places may have coco available, but I've never really been on the hunt for it because I knew my hydro store had it. As or nutrients, I have only really tried Fox Farms nutes (my last grow) and House and Garden Cocos (this grow). Both seem to work extremely well. The Fox Farms nutrients weren't coco specific, so they required and extra bit of CalMag to my waterings since coco tends to withhold calcium from the plants. It's not a hassle though...just one more ingredient to add to the water. And I've never mixed nutes directly into the coco, It is all pre-mixed into my water and given to the plants once a day.

I hope you keep looking in to see how they finish out. It should be a nice little harvest!!

;)

Back
Top Bottom