Calcium deficiency damaged leaves on budsites: harvest or not?

Reverend Green

420 Member
Hi all,

Should I be worried about the damaged leaves getting in to the budsites? Aside from the brown spots the leaves appear ok. They don’t pull off of the plant so I’ve left them on. The deficiency has been there for weeks and hasnt really changed despite phing water between 6.2 - 6.8.

The plant has fed really well through all of it taking 2l every other day. Would you harvest at the start of the window or nothing to worry about? Thanks in advance!

I didn’t use cal mag during veg and was sloppy with my ph until they started showing problems

Plant is the back left in the photo of 4.

Day 68, dos si dos auto, Barneys farm.

Biobizz all mix, plant magic oldtimer, biobizz calmag, blackstrap molasses. Soft water area.

20/4 light schedule under a 300w lumatek ats pro.

@Emilya Green I’ve read your fantastic watering guide so would appreciate your thoughts :)

5C57A037-F1A0-43F4-9496-CDB180B3E4E3.jpeg

F12A5BD7-5D6C-46CE-8568-CEDC5F4D7A84.jpeg

49D85451-F1C2-4B0E-AEDF-1FED2BBBC178.jpeg

414019D4-D367-4396-9299-CE84A5AD64E2.jpeg

Damaged leaves don't change once you correct a problem, only new growth is affected and how you can tell you fixed problem (and don't get much new growth at this point in Flower). Most folks don't smoke the fan leaves anyway. Let her go until she is done at this point in my opinion, as you have come this far just let her finish.

Damaged leaves don't change once you correct a problem, only new growth is affected and how you can tell you fixed problem (and don't get much new growth at this point in Flower). Most folks don't smoke the fan leaves anyway. Let her go until she is done at this point in my opinion, as you have come this far just let her finish.
Thanks, that’s what I wanted to hear! My only concern was possible bud rot or damage to the buds from the damaged leaves. Whatever deficiency it is never got fixed. New growth still shows the brown spots. I’m assuming lockout due to ph being too low when switching to bloom nutes

Whatever deficiency it is never got fixed.
We cannot fix the signs of most deficiencies. We can hope that what we do to solve problems stops the signs from continuing to show up on new leaves.

Mild signs of Nitrogen deficiency can sometimes be fixed. We see it when the color of the leaves improve. I have also seen photos of grows where the gardener experienced improvements in the leaves when there was a mild deficiency of Potassium. Other than those two it seems every other example is what we get and we are stuck with it.

The problem has to be caught quickly and most of us do not see the leaf color changes for what they are until it is too late. We can hope to stop it from getting worse and often that is a winning situation.

My only concern was possible bud rot or damage to the buds from the damaged leaves. Whatever deficiency it is never got fixed.
Bud Rot is different. It is caused by a mold and can even be found on plants that never had a deficiency. When a plant is weakened by a nutrient deficiency we might see that cases of Bud Rot spread faster.

Thanks, that’s what I wanted to hear! My only concern was possible bud rot or damage to the buds from the damaged leaves. Whatever deficiency it is never got fixed. New growth still shows the brown spots. I’m assuming lockout due to ph being too low when switching to bloom nutes

Bud rot if out doors and got really wet a lot, then I would remove leaves like that....you can remove them if you want, just the plant will feed on itself if something is needed and take nutrients from the no longer essential leaves.

no harm, they may look unsightly to us but plant doesn’t care

multi-fingered fan leaves still have some trichomes so most gardeners save those up for making hash or extractions but fans are considered too harsh for smoke, however single bladed sugar leaves are trich laden and good for smoke

there’s no harm in leaving them intact as those leaves are nutrient storage centers that the plant can pull from they also help the plant to transpire water

your plants look fantastic but still have a lot of fresh fluffy pistils…. I wouldn’t consider harvesting until a week or two after the pistils turn to a dark color and crinkle up…

welcome aboard!!!

Hey @Reverend Green and welcome to the forum!

I recommend trimming off the dead and dying leaves. Your plants are producing some very nice colas, and I think they need plenty nutrients at this point. In veg, the optimum is NPK 3-1-1, and during flower 1-3-3. So, you might not be giving enough P&K; however, they look also N deficient. Depending on your answer there, perhaps pH-related lockout is the problem.

Should I be worried about the damaged leaves getting in to the budsites?
Yes. If dead leaves are in the buds then excess moisture will cause mold to grow. If the dead part of the leaf is not yet in the bud then you should be fine.

Not a good idea to leave any dead material on the plants this close to harvest, because mold likes to get started on dead material. Mold is spread by microscopic spores. Ya don't want spores in the buds, because that could lead to bud rot, which could lead to a lost harvest.

Back
Top Bottom