Candida CD-1, Bright Light: A Community Grow Journal

When I started this thread I’d intended almost my next post to be one that gave a nice wrap up of the 2 Candida CD-1 plants I have grown and aim to show, along the way, features of the 2 different phenos I believe I had.
Clearly something happened that waylaid that :smokin:, and then something else happened :hmmmm: , then there was a firestorm armageddon apocalypse outside my bedroom door o_O and then there was a global plague :oops:

I still intend to do it! It could happen any day now actually but in the meantime, I had the buds out recently to make a new batch of a topical/cosmetic oil I make with it and the difference in their structure is really clear to me.

These were part of a batch that got bagged and buried during the fire season (we stashed bud in many different places during our numerous evacuations) so they’re looking a little rough, but pretty good considering. It’s also a crappy shot for a closeup so sorry for that LOL, but I think the difference is well illustrated. indica pheno above (8months curing), sativa pheno below (13months curing).

C5F687AF-FFA9-45E3-A56C-0C589BC24399.jpeg

Granted they were grown inside (indica) and outside (sativa) but that doesn’t account for the complete structural difference. They were definitely completely different looking flowers when they were growing.

Liquid Light :idea:

And now, more about the oil. As well as an infused olive oil for CBD dosing and a coconut oil for CBD edibles, I also make a 5-6mg/ml infusion into sweet almond oil that a couple of friends use for eczema (more on the efficacy of that in coming weeks as I hear back about it) and I use for pain oil and for a (diluted) cosmetic face oil.

Heres some decarb’d CD-1
1BCDE9D9-B907-4DCC-9840-6DEA080906AC.jpeg

And 200ml of sweet almond oil...

666EF5C6-0278-4427-BEFD-2BB5F4BB16E4.jpeg

Party time :party:

3C5A1B5B-3319-4D6E-BA1E-F1F43BF50F96.jpeg

This is infused and strained and used at full strength for eczema, especially dry skin and pain. For the cosmetic face oil I dilute it with grapeseed oil to around 3mg/ml and add 2drops per 15ml of DoTerra SALUBELLE Beauty Blend. It’s liquid gold itself that stuff and super expensive but also super potent so, at the rate I use it, it is going to last me years, literally years.

I call this face oil ‘Amy’s Liquid Gold’, just for fun (I don’t sell it at all, although I do give it as a gift sometimes) and I apply it to my face and neck everyday - it’s sensational :D A good friend who has some calls it ‘Million Dollar Face’ :laughtwo:

My current bottle is nearly done...
D0CDAA08-5ACA-4812-9B95-8856282C4252.jpeg

I have recently started using the full strength version alongside my THC-dominant topical oil I use for pain and I definitely believe that both of them together is more effective than the THC topical alone. I use them both in the bath too. My health condition involves a lot of pain, both chronic and acute, and after a bath with epsom salts and 2-3ml of each topical oil (so 10-15mg THC and 10-15mg CBD - what a decadent bath!) and I can have about 4-5 hours afterwards with my body feeling almost normal. Today was one of those days actually - awesome.
:meditate:

So, there’s 2 versions from the same oil making process;
Version 1. Original, 5-6mg/ml for skin complaints and topical pain oil/bath oil. (Maybe I’ll call this ‘Liquid Light’ in honour of the meaning of the strain name - bright light :D).

Version 2. ‘Amy’s Liquid Gold’, diluted to approx 3mg/ml with grapeseed oil (or more non-infused almond oil) used in small roller bottle with less than 1% of DoTerra “SALUBELLE” added and used for cosmetic face oil - incredible for the complexion. CBD for the win!

There it is then, in lieu of a proper post on the actual plants as yet, a completely impromptu feature on one of the ways I use the Candida CD-1 flowers in my life. Keeps me looking and feeling good.
:hippy:

Snap. By coincidence I also take Epsom salt baths for pain. I will be keen to try the liquid light.
Thank you for the post, Amy. To be candid you are a bright light. Thanks again.

When I started this thread I’d intended almost my next post to be one that gave a nice wrap up of the 2 Candida CD-1 plants I have grown and aim to show, along the way, features of the 2 different phenos I believe I had.
Clearly something happened that waylaid that :smokin:, and then something else happened :hmmmm: , then there was a firestorm armageddon apocalypse outside my bedroom door o_O and then there was a global plague :oops:

I still intend to do it! It could happen any day now actually but in the meantime, I had the buds out recently to make a new batch of a topical/cosmetic oil I make with it and the difference in their structure is really clear to me.

These were part of a batch that got bagged and buried during the fire season (we stashed bud in many different places during our numerous evacuations) so they’re looking a little rough, but pretty good considering. It’s also a crappy shot for a closeup so sorry for that LOL, but I think the difference is well illustrated. indica pheno above (8months curing), sativa pheno below (13months curing).

C5F687AF-FFA9-45E3-A56C-0C589BC24399.jpeg

Granted they were grown inside (indica) and outside (sativa) but that doesn’t account for the complete structural difference. They were definitely completely different looking flowers when they were growing.

Liquid Light :idea:
And now, more about the oil. As well as an infused olive oil for CBD dosing and a coconut oil for CBD edibles, I also make a 5-6mg/ml infusion into sweet almond oil that a couple of friends use for eczema (more on the efficacy of that in coming weeks as I hear back about it) and I use for pain oil and for a (diluted) cosmetic face oil.

Heres some decarb’d CD-1
1BCDE9D9-B907-4DCC-9840-6DEA080906AC.jpeg

And 200ml of sweet almond oil...

666EF5C6-0278-4427-BEFD-2BB5F4BB16E4.jpeg

Party time :party:

3C5A1B5B-3319-4D6E-BA1E-F1F43BF50F96.jpeg

This is infused and strained and used at full strength for eczema, especially dry skin and pain. For the cosmetic face oil I dilute it with grapeseed oil to around 3mg/ml and add 2drops per 15ml of DoTerra SALUBELLE Beauty Blend. It’s liquid gold itself that stuff and super expensive but also super potent so, at the rate I use it, it is going to last me years, literally years.

I call this face oil ‘Amy’s Liquid Gold’, just for fun (I don’t sell it at all, although I do give it as a gift sometimes) and I apply it to my face and neck everyday - it’s sensational :D A good friend who has some calls it ‘Million Dollar Face’ :laughtwo:

My current bottle is nearly done...
D0CDAA08-5ACA-4812-9B95-8856282C4252.jpeg

I have recently started using the full strength version alongside my THC-dominant topical oil I use for pain and I definitely believe that both of them together is more effective than the THC topical alone. I use them both in the bath too. My health condition involves a lot of pain, both chronic and acute, and after a bath with epsom salts and 2-3ml of each topical oil (so 10-15mg THC and 10-15mg CBD - what a decadent bath!) and I can have about 4-5 hours afterwards with my body feeling almost normal. Today was one of those days actually - awesome.
:meditate:

So, there’s 2 versions from the same oil making process;
Version 1. Original, 5-6mg/ml for skin complaints and topical pain oil/bath oil. (Maybe I’ll call this ‘Liquid Light’ in honour of the meaning of the strain name - bright light :D).

Version 2. ‘Amy’s Liquid Gold’, diluted to approx 3mg/ml with grapeseed oil (or more non-infused almond oil) used in small roller bottle with less than 1% of DoTerra “SALUBELLE” added and used for cosmetic face oil - incredible for the complexion. CBD for the win!

There it is then, in lieu of a proper post on the actual plants as yet, a completely impromptu feature on one of the ways I use the Candida CD-1 flowers in my life. Keeps me looking and feeling good.
:hippy:

Thank you so much Amy my wife will be very keen to try this ❤️

Here is a quick explanation of my dutch bucket set up.
Dutch Bucket Pic3 5142020.jpg

Dutch Bucket Pic2 5142020.jpg

At the top you have the three dutch/bato buckets. Their basically a hempy bucket with a built in res. It holds about 2 inches of water before it starts draining into the 1 1/2 inch pvc it rests on. 18g res with 4 air stones and one submersible pump. The pump is on a timer and runs 4 times per day for 30 min (might be overkill). There is a water line running up the side of the shelves that branches off to each bucket with an adjustable valve. Its important to have adjustable valves or the first bucket will get way more water than the third bucket. Its a closed loop system and easy to maintain ph and ec. If you keep your water temps in check there's no reason you can't run the entire grow on one res change. One for veg and one for bloom. I keep my room around 70F which keeps my res around 68F since its close to the floor. I learned all this from hyena mercia.

Hi, Amy. I hope things have settled down for you and I'm glad to see this journal still going.

It seems no one at all has CD-1 or MH1 seeds and the rest from this breeder are disappearing, so maybe the breeder has disappeared.

It would be a shame to see these genetics go away. I wonder if anyone else is trying to save them or if there's anything we can do with all the good people here.

Sorry, just thinking out loud. I only have two seeds of MH1 left.

It’s true - they are sold or selling-out everywhere and the MMG website has not reappeared. It’s very strange. It seems they’ve done years of work stabilising things and producing a great lineup, and then dropped out. I suppose all sorts fo things can happen in people’s lives.

I know @InTheShed is gearing up to do a seed production run by reversing a clone in order to pollinate another.

I’m still trying to understand the genetics of that breeding step regarding potential effects on cannabinoid levels. As Shed says, it’s a very stable line so should remain so. I‘ve got it into my head from reading around here that reversing an already feminised plant to cross w itself (or a clone of itself) could reintroduce recessive genes and genetic expressions from way back in the line. I’m only learning about it tho so am not making any claims here! Just expressing some thoughts.

But yes! In answer to your question, people are thinking about making seeds :)

It’s true - they are sold or selling-out everywhere and the MMG website has not reappeared. It’s very strange. It seems they’ve done years of work stabilising things and producing a great lineup, and then dropped out. I suppose all sorts fo things can happen in people’s lives.

I know @InTheShed is gearing up to do a seed production run by reversing a clone in order to pollinate another.

I’m still trying to understand the genetics of that breeding step regarding potential effects on cannabinoid levels. As Shed says, it’s a very stable line so should remain so. I‘ve got it into my head from reading around here that reversing an already feminised plant to cross w itself (or a clone of itself) could reintroduce recessive genes and genetic expressions from way back in the line. I’m only learning about it tho so am not making any claims here! Just expressing some thoughts.

Awesome! I have a clone going now. Maybe eventually I can pop another seed and figure out how to do this. Perhaps I'll talk to my local friend or get some advice here when the time comes.

That's interesting Amy, another forum I'm on growers just reverse a couple of flowers on one branch and pollinate a lower branch on the same plant without any seemingly ill effect. As mentioned before CD's lineage is pretty stable with ACDC and Harlequin so wouldn't lose too much of the CBD % you would think?

That's interesting Amy, another forum I'm on growers just reverse a couple of flowers on one branch and pollinate a lower branch on the same plant without any seemingly ill effect. As mentioned before CD's lineage is pretty stable with ACDC and Harlequin so wouldn't lose too much of the CBD % you would think?
Yes folks can do it either way - pollinate the same plant or a clone, or a plant from a different seed. The difference I wonder about here is that the plant is already feminised.

Wouldn’t think CD-1 would change dramatically with the stability, that’s right. I’ve just seen a few comments from folks I know who know, that in that generation you open up to the gene pool and recessive traits can show.

So I’d still be fairly confident in the cannbinoid levels, but not 100% confident like I am w our (dwindling) original seed stock.

EG - I grew out a Blue Dream that exhibited some odd growth traits through veg and stretch, some of those traits were familiar to some older growers. Once it became clear that it was a seed from a reversed already-feminised plant, the comments were - oh, “well that explains a lot”! Conradino posted something along those lines recently actually, in response to Shed’s asking this very question. I’ll track it down :)

It’s a question to get into on one of the breeding threads probably...

Ok - I’m importing this truncated discussion from Stanks journal. Shed asked...
I have two questions I'm hoping someone can answer since there are some well-qualified seed makers here:

1. If I take two clones from the same mother, reverse one and pollinate the other with it, what do I call the resulting seeds? They're not S1's because I used two different plants, so what are they?
2. How much genetic variation have I introduced by making seeds this way vs pollinating the same plant I reverse?

:thanks:
to which penny (and others) responded

I think most people still consider that to be an S1. S1 behaves like normal F2 seeds in that it opens up an additional 25% recessive genes. You can get some really nice phenos from S1’s.
ANd Conradino added...
Yes it’s quite normal. Spread in selfed line lets you look at the hole genetic bag of it and who knows what you can find.

So the outcome of reversing a CD-1 (fem) to produce more seeds will possibly (definitely? I don’t know enough to know) produce a less stable bunch of seeds than the original.

That’s just how I understand the stuff I’m reading. I could be wrong. It seems to me that it’s not the same as reversing a regular female to make a feminised seed to start with. It’s different b’c it’s already feminised. I think. :)

I’ll be very happy when I understand it well enough to to just know! Eventually I will...

Just sharing another observation from my two ladies. Going into wk5 and as mentioned before one is more lime green then the other and now I have noticed just in the last couple of days they have different scents too. The lime green has a very light earthy pine smell while the darker plant has more citrus/lemon pine scent when the stems are rubbed.

Going on wk6 and it's flower time! The scent from the lime green plant is now almost non existent (like no smell at all?!?!) and she has stayed short. The leaves on her have an odd 2 tone colour which I thought may have been phosphorus deficiency but there's no other signs and she's otherwise growing well.

The citrusy lady still has her smell and has had a growth spurt, by the looks I might have both phenos (fingers crossed).

Single plant showing the 2 tone leaves on the short plant.
IMG_20200523_223204.jpg

IMG_20200523_223130.jpg

Back
Top Bottom