CannaDad's First Grow - Vero COB LED

I'm still not completely on board with the growing up to the lights idea.

A lot of great growers do that, but I prefer to keep the youngsters a bit closer. I fix the lights to the top of the tent and move the plants up and down as needed - just set the pots on something to get them higher.

I'm still not completely on board with the growing up to the lights idea.

A lot of great growers do that, but I prefer to keep the youngsters a bit closer. I fix the lights to the top of the tent and move the plants up and down as needed - just set the pots on something to get them higher.

Thank you for the explanation! 24 inches has been my goal for light height and I will continue that trend.

I am curious now though. If you were to go overkill with the COBs and do say 600 watts to get 1200 umol at 30 inches instead of 24 inches would you then have an effective canopy depth of 30 inches instead of 24? Still just trying to wrap my head around the idea a little :volcano-smiley:

Exactly! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Ya, I know - it seems so ... wrong.

It's also about room height. If you want to grow 5 foot plants, with a foot of pot, that leaves 4 feet of plant with about a foot of bottom stalk, so 3 feet of foliage - ok? If you want to double power and light all 3 feet, you need 3 feet of headroom, which means you have to mount your lights at 3 feet above the canopy, which is 5 feet off the floor = 8 feet. Never gonna happen in a 7 foot tent.

Exactly! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Ya, I know - it seems so ... wrong.

It's also about room height. If you want to grow 5 foot plants, with a foot of pot, that leaves 4 feet of plant with about a foot of bottom stalk, so 3 feet of foliage - ok? If you want to double power and light all 3 feet, you need 3 feet of headroom, which means you have to mount your lights at 3 feet above the canopy, which is 5 feet off the floor = 8 feet. Never gonna happen in a 7 foot tent.

Got it! Maybe when I expand the whole pod into one big flower room I will seriously upgrade the wattage and see if I can increase the canopy depth. But that won’t be for a long time. A man has to have ambitions though! Haha

UPDATE—-
I was on vacation to see family from Jan 29th - Feb 7th, the girls were under the care of a roommate who happens to be a botanist, but not familiar with High Brix. She was also only able to check on them every few days. She said they had gotten too dry and watered a few times (I think possibly too much?) They have not received foliar sprays or drenches the whole stretch and I’m sure are in need of both, but I will wait for advice before either are done. So let’s do some pics now and I will ask advice at the end. Thank you all!

067F9F92-AE02-4FB3-9DA8-31F019994F50.jpeg
48DE80ED-959D-4A94-AE4C-0F4B66A0C6E7.jpeg
4A6E021D-A00B-4CF2-AF8E-601917885810.jpeg
EF1D1544-FFA8-45F4-A964-413166396CA8.jpeg
C87F1168-E2F4-478B-9BD2-F9582EBB2FFC.jpeg

POK and SKD are still at least 24 hrs from being dry enough to do a drench, probably more like 48 for SKD. I am wondering if these two would be good candidates for a rescue drench when they are ready for water? If so what would be a good dosage for them? I am also wondering if and when I should do the next foliar spray? I left off with de stress on Jan 29th.
My gut feeling( albeit an inexperienced one) says that they should have a rescue drench when dry enough and a de stress spray as soon as possible. What are your thoughts on that plan of action?

AML is no where near needing anything. I’m sure the temporary caretaker gave her some water too because the pot is decently heavy still. She might need some water drizzled around the outside in the next couple days or so, but she is looking pretty good so far I think.

Any and all advice is appreciated!
:Namaste:

UPDATE–-
I was on vacation to see family from Jan 29th - Feb 7th, the girls were under the care of a roommate who happens to be a botanist, but not familiar with High Brix. She was also only able to check on them every few days. She said they had gotten too dry and watered a few times (I think possibly too much?) They have not received foliar sprays or drenches the whole stretch and I'm sure are in need of both, but I will wait for advice before either are done. So let's do some pics now and I will ask advice at the end. Thank you all!

067F9F92-AE02-4FB3-9DA8-31F019994F50.jpeg
48DE80ED-959D-4A94-AE4C-0F4B66A0C6E7.jpeg
4A6E021D-A00B-4CF2-AF8E-601917885810.jpeg
EF1D1544-FFA8-45F4-A964-413166396CA8.jpeg
C87F1168-E2F4-478B-9BD2-F9582EBB2FFC.jpeg

POK and SKD are still at least 24 hrs from being dry enough to do a drench, probably more like 48 for SKD. I am wondering if these two would be good candidates for a rescue drench when they are ready for water? If so what would be a good dosage for them? I am also wondering if and when I should do the next foliar spray? I left off with de stress on Jan 29th.
My gut feeling( albeit an inexperienced one) says that they should have a rescue drench when dry enough and a de stress spray as soon as possible. What are your thoughts on that plan of action?

AML is no where near needing anything. I'm sure the temporary caretaker gave her some water too because the pot is decently heavy still. She might need some water drizzled around the outside in the next couple days or so, but she is looking pretty good so far I think.

Any and all advice is appreciated!
:Namaste:
Yep....rescue drench. We have to get those roots back on the job.

Myself I would give them the de-stress now. I am curious what Doc says myself. I think the de-stress would be a good band-aid till the drench. Which makes me think the drench could be given now also. If not, Doc would it not be good to get the soil and roots back on track as soon as possible or is waiting for it to dry needed?

Myself I would give them the de-stress now. I am curious what Doc says myself. I think the de-stress would be a good band-aid till the drench. Which makes me think the drench could be given now also. If not, Doc would it not be good to get the soil and roots back on track as soon as possible or is waiting for it to dry needed?

Damn, that’s a good question. I figured waiting till they dry would be best. But I guess either way it has to wait until morning now when they will both be dry enough for a drench anyways. Might go ahead with a de stress spray in the morning as well, unless advised the other way. Thanks meds!

Hi, if I may I see the words spray, drench, turn on/off, move, crumble ect in your journal quite a bit. Foliage spray? Drench? Are you trying to drown them or grow them?

Hi, if I may I see the words spray, drench, turn on/off, move, crumble ect in your journal quite a bit. Foliage spray? Drench? Are you trying to drown them or grow them?

Not trying to be overly critical but a more simplified approach may help you out stick to the basics and the fancy stuff you're tryin to do will maybe come later. The first grow is like the first kid. The second grow is NOTHING like the first. Less is more its really pretty easy especially the way you got off on a fantastic well prepared start thats half the battle won. Been there. Have a look at me journal I'm still a noob too

Not trying to be overly critical but a more simplified approach may help you out stick to the basics and the fancy stuff you’re tryin to do will maybe come later. The first grow is like the first kid. The second grow is NOTHING like the first. Less is more its really pretty easy especially the way you got off on a fantastic well prepared start thats half the battle won. Been there. Have a look at me journal I’m still a noob too

Welcome in! Don’t worry about being too critical, I am here to learn and appreciate criticism. I am a hands on learner, so you will notice I will try a few different things a lot to see what I like(hence the AML experiment). I am not afraid to have to cull some plants if it means I learn more faster. Now while a lot of the lingo used in doc buds kit seems fancy and complicated it really is not. But all of the “drenches” and “foliar sprays” are part of one “nutrient kit”(if you can even call it that). Drench is practically just a term used to say watered with nutrient solution. There isn’t anything more complicated about this system of growing than mixing and PHing nutrients. Not fancy, just fancy lingo. Haha it is part of the magic! (That and the minerals and mycos!)
You should add your journal to your signature so it is easy to find and I will check it out :high-five:

:volcano-smiley:

Thanks for the heads up, that man deserves a vacation. I will be doing a rescue drench today, most likely top watered. So that would be the 1 oz of transplant and 6 ml tea per gallon of water ratio correct?

Reading this from Doc looks correct.

In The Lab With Doc Bud

Back
Top Bottom