Carcass' $150 Low Budget Grow 2019

The GSC is looking awesome, Carcass. I think I'm beginning to recognize the early signs of the "it factor" in these plants, and she has "it." :)

I wanted an orange one, but all they had was hot pink
I would have tried another store. But you do you! :laughtwo:

In case you missed the weekly plants update, it's here ...

And now it's time for training Update #5
This stuff was done on Saturday, a few days after we did a little defoliation to open things up a bit.
The little branches were 2 or 3 inches long when I did this.
001.jpg

2a.jpg

3a.jpg

Pull the little branches down just enough to make the top of the plant fairly flat when you look at it from the side. You want to end up with the main branches, and the little (secondary) branches all at apx. the same height- and then we try and keep things that way from now on...
01.jpg

This is what you should see after adjusting all the little branches- a reasonably flat canopy
5a.jpg

There's not much more to say on that!
There will be more little branches popping up, and you just adjust them to keep things level as they show up. I'm up to 22 hooks so far, probably need twice that before we're done...
This gets a little more intense as things progress, but for right now, we just want to get a good start on a flat canopy, and doing this should help accomplish that!

Thanks for looking!
If you have questions, or if I left anything out that you need to know, don't be afraid to ask!

And now, the quotes:
Lookin' fabulous:kiss:

Frickin' verdant!
I highly approve the hot pink!
Thank You, VG! So far, so green! and our little DDa is looking sweet!:love:
Looking goooood Carcass! That GSC is just gorgeous.
Thank You, Boo- She really is a beautiful plant! The So-Cal seed fairy knows how to pick 'em!:love:
I would have tried another store. But you do you!
Ha! Pink looked pretty good in the store, so I just went with it.
So much for a "Halloween" theme though:straightface:

And now it's time for training Update #5
This stuff was done on Saturday, a few days after we did a little defoliation to open things up a bit.
The little branches were 2 or 3 inches long when I did this.
001.jpg

2a.jpg

3a.jpg

Pull the little branches down just enough to make the top of the plant fairly flat when you look at it from the side. You want to end up with the main branches, and the little (secondary) branches all at apx. the same height- and then we try and keep things that way from now on...
01.jpg

This is what you should see after adjusting all the little branches- a reasonably flat canopy
5a.jpg

There's not much more to say on that!
There will be more little branches popping up, and you just adjust them to keep things level as they show up. I'm up to 22 hooks so far, probably need twice that before we're done...
This gets a little more intense as things progress, but for right now, we just want to get a good start on a flat canopy, and doing this should help accomplish that!

Thanks for looking!
If you have questions, or if I left anything out that you need to know, don't be afraid to ask!

And now, the quotes:

Thank You, VG! So far, so green! and our little DDa is looking sweet!:love:

Thank You, Boo- She really is a beautiful plant! The So-Cal seed fairy knows how to pick 'em!:love:

Ha! Pink looked pretty good in the store, so I just went with it.
So much for a "Halloween" theme though:straightface:
Omg I think this might be your best yet! Thank you for your time and explanation.

Just 2 questions and one statement question.

Q1 what is a secondary branch?
Q2 what is an apx? I even googled and nothing.

SQ. Why doesn’t my plant look ANYTHING like yours?

Good morning, and you're welcome, T!
Q1 what is a secondary branch?
The branches growing out of the main stalk are what I call primary branches, and the branches growing out of those are what I call secondary branches...that may not be what they're "officially" called, but that's what I call 'em :)
Q2 what is an apx? I even googled and nothing
Apx.= Approximately...
Why doesn’t my plant look ANYTHING like yours
It looks like mine would look if mine were taller- we're both working with the same stuff, yours is just stretched out a little- Cleo's gonna look great once the secondary branches grow in some more...in fact, she's looking damn good right now...

Good morning C Verdant :)
Good morning, and you're welcome, T!

The branches growing out of the main stalk are what I call primary branches, and the branches growing out of those are what I call secondary branches...that may not be what they're "officially" called, but that's what I call 'em :)
So just another quick question. Because my structure is wrong, should I be allowing those lower branches to rise to the height of the top branches. I have them carhooked atm.

I have a picture, but please let me know if you would prefer I keep these questions in the other thread. I just really want to do everything I can to get a canopy lol. Oh and my stake hook is holding her. See her arms there? I can see because she’s fat big boned I’m going to need to Trahook rather than Carhook™️ some of those meatier branches.

33FEB296-13D6-4E70-BA5E-6F7658C8BDF3.jpeg

Apx.= Approximately...
Omg I’m so cringe! I never would have got that! Lol! I went apex, then couldn’t work out if there was a top, then literally invented words in my head like apix apixal apxil. Lollllll
It looks like mine would look if mine were taller- we're both working with the same stuff, yours is just stretched out a little- Cleo's gonna look great once the secondary branches grow in some more...in fact, she's looking damn good right now...

You are that dad. Kid brings home a rubbish drawing.

C Dad: Damn good job kid. Damn good.

should I be allowing those lower branches to rise to the height of the top branches.

Hmmmmm :hmmmm: ...Well, sort of- those may never completely reach the top- but the branches growing out of them will, so keep training them outward and we'll see what the (secondary) branches are going to do...
If there is a disadvantage in doing this to a taller plant, this may be it... but I'm pretty sure we can make it work out ok...

Hmmmmm :hmmmm: ...Well, sort of- those may never completely reach the top- but the branches growing out of them will, so keep training them outward and we'll see what the (secondary) branches are going to do...
If there is a disadvantage in doing this to a taller plant, this may be it... but I'm pretty sure we can make it work out ok...
ME to ME: Don't say a word.

Oops! :)

GSC is looking stupendous and I'm loving the training pictorials even though I'll never use them. :bravo: for taking the time and having the skills to explain the technique as well as you do.

And I think that pink pool noodle is the cat's meow!
I'd like to know the whole story, but I never will...no real harm done, and they haven't been back, so I guess they just really  had to have that plastic box.
Mebs they realized if they stayed any longer they'd die so that's all they had time to grab. And when they got outside they realized what they had and dumped the contents. I bet they feel silly now they risked their lives for a plastic box!
I appreciate the support
So do your plants. :)
:thumb:

GSC is looking stupendous and I'm loving the training pictorials even though I'll never use them.
Thanks, Shed ! She really is a beautiful plant, and she seems to love the training:love: ..I know the training isn't for everyone, but if I can help a few folks grow better plants, I'm more than glad to do it..and, I've learned so much here, it's nice to be able to give something back..
And I think that pink pool noodle is the cat's meow
And the yellow duct tape really makes it "pop" :)

Happy Saturday, everyone!
Not really an update, but today, I'm going to touch on a couple of things you can use to tie your plant down once it grows past the edge of the pot.
We do this to try and get the plant nice and wide, while trying to keep it fairly short so it doesn't outgrow our space...
First, the pool noodle method, which will work fine on fabric or plastic pots, although there's a better way to do it if you're using a plastic pot- but first ,noodle stuff...

Get yourself a pool noodle at the dollar store, then, cut it in half lengthwise....
n1.jpg

Then, just wrap it around the pot, mark where to cut it (sorry, no pic of that:straightface: )
Then cut it to length, wrap it around the pot so it's nice 'n tight, and tape it at the seam.
Then, you'll need to go around it with some type of wire, or even string- this will not only hold it tight, but if the tape comes loose, the noodle will stay put- we don't want this thing falling off halfway through the training...The wire/string also keeps it tight on the pot so the plant doesn't lift it up (yes, they will lift it)
n2.jpg

The other way, which is what I recommend for plastic pots, is suction cups- they don't come loose, and they're infinitely adjustable. These came with the windshield shades that I lined my grow box with, but you can also get them on amazon- they're pretty cheap. I've used them a couple of times, and they do a great job...

n3.jpg

Since the noodle and the suction cups are both pretty close to the pot, we may need to add some spacers to the tiedown wires so the tiedowns pull the plant down at the correct angle, which keeps the tiedown from sliding back down the stem toward the pot...
n4.jpg

Use fairly stiff wire, and you can just poke it into the noodle to hold it....

That's about all I've got today-
To be honest, I don't feel that I've explained it very well, but I hope you get the general idea...Don't hesitate to ask questions if there's something you don't understand!
And, If you can think of another way to do it- give it a try- these are two ways I came up with, but that doesn't mean that it's the only way to do it:)

Sorry I got to this so late in the day- I've been doing some plumbing, roofing and electrical work at my mom's house, and I've still got weeks worth of crap to get done there...(I know, wah,wah,wah..:rolleyes:.)

That's a good idea, Shed- I'll do that when this one's completed!
Hell, at my age, I may need to look back at it to see how I did that.. :hmmmm:
This GSC is growing so fast, I can hardly keep up...I mean seriously- hands down the best growing plant I've grown, ever!
If any of my plants are ever going to outgrow the box, this is the one that's gonna do it- it's only 7 inches tall right now, but already I'm worried...but it's a  good worried...:)

Happy Saturday, everyone!
Not really an update, but today, I'm going to touch on a couple of things you can use to tie your plant down once it grows past the edge of the pot.
We do this to try and get the plant nice and wide, while trying to keep it fairly short so it doesn't outgrow our space...
First, the pool noodle method, which will work fine on fabric or plastic pots, although there's a better way to do it if you're using a plastic pot- but first ,noodle stuff...

Get yourself a pool noodle at the dollar store, then, cut it in half lengthwise....
n1.jpg

Then, just wrap it around the pot, mark where to cut it (sorry, no pic of that:straightface: )
Then cut it to length, wrap it around the pot so it's nice 'n tight, and tape it at the seam.
Then, you'll need to go around it with some type of wire, or even string- this will not only hold it tight, but if the tape comes loose, the noodle will stay put- we don't want this thing falling off halfway through the training...The wire/string also keeps it tight on the pot so the plant doesn't lift it up (yes, they will lift it)
n2.jpg

The other way, which is what I recommend for plastic pots, is suction cups- they don't come loose, and they're infinitely adjustable. These came with the windshield shades that I lined my grow box with, but you can also get them on amazon- they're pretty cheap. I've used them a couple of times, and they do a great job...

n3.jpg

Since the noodle and the suction cups are both pretty close to the pot, we may need to add some spacers to the tiedown wires so the tiedowns pull the plant down at the correct angle, which keeps the tiedown from sliding back down the stem toward the pot...
n4.jpg

Use fairly stiff wire, and you can just poke it into the noodle to hold it....

That's about all I've got today-
To be honest, I don't feel that I've explained it very well, but I hope you get the general idea...Don't hesitate to ask questions if there's something you don't understand!
And, If you can think of another way to do it- give it a try- these are two ways I came up with, but that doesn't mean that it's the only way to do it:)

Sorry I got to this so late in the day- I've been doing some plumbing, roofing and electrical work at my mom's house, and I've still got weeks worth of crap to get done there...(I know, wah,wah,wah..:rolleyes:.)
Good morning C Masterclasser!

Ollie and I are going noodle shopping today :)

My goal is a green noodle and silver (duct tape) accessories.

And as far as your training goes, given your journal is one of the most popular journals here, you will be helping people you don’t even know! Atm there are 120 members online here and 1545 guests. For all we know you could be helping the majority of those people grow top shelf weed without even knowing. You can see by my beginnings here you have 100% improved the way I grow. For me, your inclusive heart and patience when it comes to explaining, then reexplaining, then adding pics breaking down your grow style makes me feel both heard and valued as a member here.

I realise you have probably explained your technique many times since you joined and I am so grateful to you and your willingness to share your mad skills in real time and with us.

Love your guts!

Thank you for the kind words, Trala- You made my day!
I realise you have probably explained your technique many times since you joined
One might think so, but you're the only one that ever asked about it. :hmmmm: ..but this training isn't for everyone- it takes more time than some folks want to spend, or have time for...
But if you grow a plant this way, ya can't help but be happy with the final result...

And while I'm here...

Here's another little trick that makes this process a bit easier...watering a plant when it's short and bushy can be a pain in the butt- It's almost impossible to water through all those leaves without a lot of the water ending up on the floor...so I came up with a simple way to avoid that mess...

You'll need a foot of 1/2" tubing, and something with a small hole in it that will fit inside the hose, to restrict the flow so you don't blast a bunch of holes in the soil while pouring the water on...
You'll need a watering can too, but I figure most people have one of those- if not, time to visit the dollar store and get one....:)

w1.jpg

You don't really need to use a restrictor- I chose to because I had a habit of watering too fast, which seems to make more of the water just run right through the pot- you'll get less runoff watering slowly...

w2.jpg

Just use it like a little water hose- hold the watering can in one hand, and direct the water where you want it to go with the other- you cant see the end of the hose when it's under all those leaves, but you know where the water is going, so you don't really have to see it get there....

w3.jpg

And, that's about all there is to that!
As usual, any questions, don't be afraid to ask
And thanks for looking:love:

I'll be back in here tomorrow with a plant(s) update,
and another training session (#6) hope to see you then:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom