Carcass' $150 Low Budget Grow 2019

Yeah, I'll bet with those huge leaves that 5 gallon pot is extra heavy! :)

I can’t thank you enough for doing this for me.
No worries, T!- we'll have you growing wide, stubby plants in no time!
Lightweight. I've been lifting 5-gallon pots all along.
Ha! Not only am I old, but I'm a bit lazy too! :) I actually planned this grow to happen without moving the plant in and out of the box...by planned, I mean I got a bigger drain pan, and a pump to pump out the runoff...hell, with the extra weight, I have to re-learn when to water, because the pot never seems to get "light"enough to need watering...I'll get it figured out eventually...
Yeah, I'll bet with those huge leaves that 5 gallon pot is extra heavy!
Ha! I'm sure they're not helping....They are definitely in the way, I can tell ya that!;)

Happy Monday everyone! It's time for a little Update on the plants and the training...

First, the plants- The GSC is 30 days old today, and the
Wookiees (left) and DDa (right)autos are 7 days old..

The GSC is fed 3g/gal of m.c. , she seems happy with that for now. Still a really healthy little plant.
The 2 little ones are living on water only so far....I'll start giving them a little taste of m.c. in a few more days...

1.jpg

A closer look at the DDa:-Not growing very fast, but also not a mutant, so that's a good thing :love:
2.jpg

And the Wookiees auto- also not a mutant, and growing just a bit faster than the DDa-
3.jpg

The seedlings get 18k lux where they are in the box, the GSC gets 29k lux in the center of the box-
The @NextLight 420h is running at 120 watts.

And now a few pics of some defoliation that needs to be done on the GSC- nothing major, just a few leaves that have to go to let the light in...not all branches will need this, just the ones with leaves growing
on the topside of the branch- If you've got 8 branches, 4 of them will need it, for a total of 8 leaves removed...
This is a typical example: (you'll be doing this x4 if you have 8 branches)
3-t.jpg

So you clip that leaf off, and then the next one down the branch:
4-t.jpg

5b-t.jpg

There's 2 hooks on some of the branches- this keeps the branches flat, instead of bowing upward in the middle.
5c-t.jpg

After you remove the specified leaves, just continue tying stuff down like you have been...the little branches that now get lots of light will start growing pretty fast now, so soon (a week or so) we'll have a lot more stuff to tie down...

The leaves and branches on the underside of the branches will have to be removed
too, but we're not quite there yet....
And that's about all for the training today- nuttin' to it!:thumb:

And, in case you forgot about these little gals, (I almost did) here's the 2 outdoor runts- they're loving it out there, but not enough to actually do some growing...:laughtwo:
Wookiees auto is 24 days old, White Chem auto is 20... @GeoFlora Nutrients are keeping them nice n' healthy...
There's actually 3 plants there, but I'm not counting the Wookiees x Kalashnikov (growing under the White Chem)-I didn't separate them, so it's never going to do much. It's 11 days old.
It's a runt too, but it has a good reason to be...;)
10-runts.jpg

That's about It for today! Any questions at all about the GSC training, please don't be afraid to ask:)

Thanks for looking, I really appreciate the support!:love:
And please, continue to stay as safe as possible out there!

Damn that GCS has some big beautiful leaves! Another great tutorial as well. :thumb:

Would that training be for a fixed light source only or would you do the same outside where the sun constantly hits the plant from a different angle as it moves across the sky. (Yes, I do know the sun doesn't move and the earth rotates on its axis - as Aristarchus of Samos stated and Foucault proved - but it's much easier to speak of as if we lived ignorant times.)

Maybe the runts don't like bubbly water?

Thanks, Shed!
Would that training be for a fixed light source only
The leaves removed this time would block the nodes below them outside also, so removing them outside
might not be a necessity, but I think it'd help get more sun to those nodes a little sooner. The branches will eventually find the light indoors or out, this just speeds the branches up a little, since they don't have to grow in the shade until they get past the fan leaves.
And those are the fattest fan leaves ever on that GSC, so it would take awhile to get out from under those monsters...:oops:
Maybe the runts don't like bubbly water?
If I thought it'd make them grow a little, I'd give it a try ;)

Hi Carcass! So I've been following along your excellent tutorial (thank you) and started training the Blueberry. She is definitely not symmetrical like yours. I tried lol.

Carcass said:
That took about ten minutes to do, so it's not real time consuming-
Took me ten minutes just looking back and forth between your pics and my plant before I could even get started...:bongrip:

She has six tops (node 1, 2, 3). I can see all the tops when looking down. There's four Carhooks holding her top four tops down, and two holding leaves out of the way of node 1 branches (#4 and #6 in the pic) - did I make the wrong call keeping those on? I thought I saw some potential in them so I kept 'em.

Please tell me I didn't just tangle her into a mess.

20220426_134812.jpg

Good Morning, Adora!
did I make the wrong call keeping those on? I thought I saw some potential in them so I kept 'em.
You made the right call- I like to leave the big fan leaves on as long as possible- I figure they wouldn't be there if the plant didn't need them. I leave all but the 8 I removed yesterday, and work around them for another week or so, but once the branches start growing well, I remove any fan leaves that are in the way
because they get too big to tuck out of the way...you've got a ways to go before you need to worry about that, though.

Please tell me I didn't just tangle her into a mess.
She looks just like she should- Nice work, Adora!
Like I told @Trala in her thread- they've got to get a little ugly before they get pretty...

Thanks @Carcass :) I can see my Blueberry's leaves already starting to point back up.

Your plants all look wonderful. I'm glad your DDA isn't a mutant. In fact, she's pretty cute. Also I'm excited to watch your Wookies and White Chem autos grow outside in the ground. I've got little bird gardeners too. Mine were planting sunflowers in my potted plants last season.

A closer look at the DDa:-Not growing very fast, but also not a mutant, so that's a good thing :love:
I fully expect the Wookiee to outpace the DDA. We'll have to see what actually happens though.
My Wookiee is leaving the rest of the sprouts in the dust. J said about 20ish days to show sex on the Wookiee, iirc? The DDA should be twice that.
The DDA mothers were super slow to start as well but they were also mutants. Not the bad kind...just the temporarily wonky kind.... Ugly duckling syndrome.

Damn Carcass, how did I fall so far behind? :straightface: I am so sorry to hear that your mom’s place got broken into, hopefully they inhaled a LOT of the termite killing fumes while they were there…punks. It’s such a violation.:eye-roll: Hopefully that’s all that is missing/damaged and there won’t be any surprises. All of your ladies are looking good - even the outdoor Wookies and Mephisto White Chem! Your training pics were fabulous too. That GSC is gonna be a biggie…..just sayin’. :cheesygrinsmiley:
J said about 20ish days to show sex on the Wookiee, iirc?
For some reason I thought your Wookies were feminized autos….no?

Your garden is looking perrrty and lush as always C!
Thanks, candy!
I'm excited to watch your Wookies and White Chem autos grow outside in the ground.
Thanks,Adora- They're not going to get very big, but they may produce a little bit...actually, the White Chem may have started growing a little bit today, so that one may not be as much
of a runt as I thought.. :hmmmm:
J said about 20ish days to show sex on the Wookiee, iirc?
The one outside showed her first tiny little flowers today, on day 25- but, she's still only 4" tall, so she isn't going to amount to much. But, I only put her outside because I don't like to kill any pot plant, even if it's a runty little thing:)
Not the bad kind...just the temporarily wonky kind.... Ugly duckling syndrome.
Luckily, this one skipped the wonky part- she seems to be growing fine...a bit slow maybe, but some autos seem to do that for the first ten days or so. I think she's going to do just fine in the long run:love:
I am so sorry to hear that your mom’s place got broken into,
That was more of an annoyance than anything...I think it was just some kids "exploring" the place, because they basically took nothing...except that $2.00 plastic box!:straightface:

That GSC is gonna be a biggie…..just sayin’.
I think you're right, Boo...I hope I don't regret using that 5 gallon pot...:oops:
For some reason I thought your Wookies were feminized autos….no?

They're supposed to be auto/ fems, according to the breeder..:love:
He's grown quite a few of them, and they were all females, so I think we'll probably be good
to go....the runty little f1 Wookiees growing outside is a girl, so hopefully, all the rest are, too!

Thanks @Carcass :) I can see my Blueberry's leaves already starting to point back up.

Your plants all look wonderful. I'm glad your DDA isn't a mutant. In fact, she's pretty cute. Also I'm excited to watch your Wookies and White Chem autos grow outside in the ground. I've got little bird gardeners too. Mine were planting sunflowers in my potted plants last season.
Omg I’m big smiling!

He is a grow messiah! And the best part, he gives his time so eagerly, never once making you feel less than, or stupid, or annoying, even when you make the same mistake over and over.

The way I grow has forever changed thanks to this bloke, and one day I’ll nail that canopy.

I love his guts out.

one day I’ll nail that canopy.
Yes, you will- no doubt in my mind!

And, while I'm here, I figured I'd do a little training Update- some more big fan leaves have to go...
in fact, most of them...It may seem extreme, but the results speak for themselves- once a healthy cannabis plant really starts growing, it takes more than losing some leaves to slow them down... (imo)

The Girl Scout Cookies is 33 days old.

* @Trala- you probably won't need to do this stuff for 7-10 days.

So here's what's up- I like to leave the big fans on as long as possible, but there comes a time when they're just so in the way that there's nothing to do but get rid of them so the new branches become the star of the show....I was going to wait till Saturday, but those leaves got so big and in the way, I did this yesterday..
1t.jpg

So here we are 12 fan leaves later (16 if you've got 8 main branches)- look at all those happy little branches smiling up at the light...:cheesygrinsmiley:
2t.jpg

A day or two after removing the leaves from the sides of the branches, we grab the clippers yet again,:oops:
And we go after the leaves and branches growing out the bottom side of the main branches... the leaves are in the way, and the branches won't amount to much, so we don't need the plant wasting resources on them...* If you want, you can leave the leaf, but the branch needs to go...
3t a.jpg

4t.jpg

So that's 6 more fan leaves gone (8 if you've got 8 branches) And that's the last of the defoliating for awhile....

So now we just keep the main branches tied down, while we wait for the new branches to grow a little...
5t.jpg

That's about all the tricky stuff, from here on in, it's just tying things down and adjusting branches to hopefully end up with a nice, even canopy- :)
We'll start that on Monday..

And that's it for today...
As usual, any questions, don't be afraid to ask!
Thanks for looking, I appreciate the support:love:

I promise myself that next grow I'll follow your example
Thanks, Stunger! I've got to say- the method you're using now works damn well too!
methodical! :noice:
Thanks, Shed! And it doesn't hurt that the GSC is growing like a (very healthy) weed! :love:
seriously, this girl is growing crazy fast- over an inch a day in some spots:morenutes:

And, while I'm here, I figured I'd do a little training Update- some more big fan leaves have to go...
in fact, most of them...It may seem extreme, but the results speak for themselves- once a healthy cannabis plant really starts growing, it takes more than losing some leaves to slow them down... (imo)

So here's what's up- I like to leave the big fans on as long as possible, but there comes a time when they're just so in the way that there's nothing to do but get rid of them so the new branches become the star of the show....I was going to wait till Saturday, but those leaves got so big and in the way, I did this yesterday..
1t.jpg

So here we are 12 fan leaves later (16 if you've got 8 main branches)- look at all those happy little branches smiling up at the light...:cheesygrinsmiley:
2t.jpg

A day or two after removing the leaves from the sides of the branches, we grab the clippers yet again,:oops:
And we go after the leaves and branches growing out the bottom side of the main branches... the leaves are in the way, and the branches won't amount to much, so we don't need the plant wasting resources on them...* If you want, you can leave the leaf, but the branch needs to go...
3t a.jpg

4t.jpg

So that's 6 more fan leaves gone (8 if you've got 8 branches) And that's the last of the defoliating for awhile....

So now we just keep the main branches tied down, while we wait for the new branches to grow a little...
5t.jpg

That's about all the tricky stuff, from here on in, it's just tying things down and adjusting branches to hopefully end up with a nice, even canopy- :)

Carcass Canopy Training™
Bookmarked!

1t.jpg

2t.jpg

3t a.jpg

4t.jpg

5t.jpg

Good afternoon C Trimmer :)

Thank you so much. This is my Step 4. I am hoping to complete Step 3 tomorrow.

I think what your directions demonstrate is grow magic doesn’t just happen. It takes a real commitment, work and critical thinking when it comes to training.

Thank you for taking the time to teach us. I am enjoying this opportunity to learn with you so very very much :)

Back
Top Bottom