ClosetCase420's - RDWC - 600W MH/HPS - Wonder Woman - Grow Journal - 2015

closetcase420

This is my first post here and intend on documenting and hopefully getting a lot of help throughout the this my 4th attempt at a satisfying harvest.

To keep a long story and a lot of details short this is my 4th attempt at growing Wonder Woman and my third attempt under MH/HPS in hydro. My first three yields were ok, but I yearn for much better. I need help with feeding and health of the plants. I intend on taking pictures and posting readings every few days. Thanks..

Some information about my setup.

For this grow I've build a custom 4x3x7 closet.

The strain is Feminized Wonder Woman from Nirvana.
I believe it is a 50/50 Indica Sativa from what I've read about its origins.

I just started the grow 5 days ago by germinating 5 seeds.
I germinated the seeds by...
First letting them submerse themselves in a cup of water.
Next I kept the seeds between two moist paper towels in between two plates for 2 days.

I wish I had taken a picture, the sprouts I think they call them (baby roots) really popped quickly.

On day 2 I moved the seedlings to rapid rooters.

The rapid rooters are sitting in 3 1/2 inch net pots surrounded by clay orchid grow media.

I have 5 net pots sitting on the lid of a Rubbermaid 18 gallon roughneck tote.

Inside the tote I have 6.5 PH tap water sitting around 225 PPM (base).
(my calculations are using a HM TDS meter calibrated at 0.5)

There are 4 large 2 inch x 4 inch aqua air stones driven by a EcoPlus air pump (793 GPH)

I'm also utilizing a drip to keep the rapid rooters moist.
I have a EcoPlus submersible pump (158 GPH) running to a 8-port drip irrigation manifold.
I have 5 of the ports connected to the pots.

There is also a small (not sure GPH) pump in the tank that is pushing the water into the Active Aqua water chiller where the water is cooled to 65 degrees.

The tank is also wrapped in Reflectix, not that it matters but it looks cool.

-- edit --
I almost forgot I built a SCROG screen 8 inches above the tank. the screen is built out of a 1 x 2 frame with fish eye hooks every 2 1/2 inches. I then used string to loop through each hook and tie off at the end.
This is my first attempt at topping and scrog. So PLEASE PROVIDE FEEDBACK.

For lighting I am using an Apollo Horticulture 600 watt HPS (VEG), MH (FLOWER) under an air cooled hood. The hood is connected to 6 inch ducting in and out of the closet. The input fan (Ventech 6 inch 240CFM) is pulling fresh air from outside of the closet and pushing it through the hood and out the other side of the closet.

For ventilation and odor control I am using an iPower 16 inch x 6 inch carbon filter with charcoal along with another Ventech 6 inch (240CFM) fan. This fan is sucking air through the carbon filter and exhausting it outside of the room.

I am using a VenTech 4 inch (190CFM) fan with variable speed controller tp push air from outside of the closet into the closet through a 4 inch dryer vent.

So far the room has been a steady 81-82 degrees which I'm a bit disappointed it's that hot since I've moved like water cooler outside of the grow room for this grow. I'm pretty sure 82 will be alright, let me know if I am incorrect.

The intro post mentions RH but I have no idea what RH is?

I am using the General Hydroponics Flora Trio series. This is where my biggest questions arise. I am not positive on what feeding schedule I want to use. The last two grows I used a similar DWC setup in a smaller poor setup area but the main concept was the same. For that grow I was trying to keep PPM around 800 during VEG and around 1200 during FLOWER. This has given me less than significant results. My first attempt at three plants yielded about 7oz, the second attempt at two plants yielded about 5oz. This time I'm really hoping to push for larger tighter buds. Right now I have yet to add any nutrients to the solution as I'm debating between a few options that I've read. Mainly a post on another site and another reading the Lucas method. Please pass along suggestions.

I think that summarizes this grow. Please stay tuned for more and definitely feel free to reach out and lend a hand. I'm open to ideas.

Images..

20151105_1752142.jpg

20151105_175233.jpg

20151105_175306.jpg

20151105_1753451.jpg

20151105_175401.jpg

20151105_175426.jpg

20151105_175448.jpg

20151105_1756451.jpg

20151105_2134061.jpg

I watched a few videos and I picked up this tidbit which I'm going to follow.

1st week - Cal Mag 250 PPM

Rest of Veg - 400 - 500 PPM (includes the 250 Cal Mag)
- Use equal amounts of grow micro and bloom to yield 250 PPM

Change tank water (nutrients) every 7 days

As the plant drinks the water throughout the week replace with PHd (5.8 - 6.0) Cal Mag (250 PPM) water.

- - - - -

I believe the PPM levels are lower than what I had done on my previous grows during veg.

Checking my notes from my previous grows I was between 700 and 900 throughout veg and around 1200 during flower.

Taking my hard water 225 ppm base into consideration when I do start feeding nutrients i'll be aiming for between 650 and 750 ppm throughout the veg stage.

Day 7

My bucket was leaking from my UniSeal on the bottom of the bucket so I had to replace my bucket today. I moved the seal to the front and it is still leaking, go figure. I have to figure out how to make the seal better.

I followed their directions--
3/4'' Uniseals are used to attach pipe to just about any container in situation where bulkheads will not work. The most common use is on curved surfaces such as storage drums, buckets, and even other pipe. 3/4'' Uniseal Specs: Pipe ID - 3/4'' (19mm) Pipe OD - 1.050'' (27mm) Holesaw size: 1 1/4'' (32mm) Up to 3/8" Wall Thickness. (9mm) Made in the USA

I used 1 1/4" holesaw and the pvc (cpvc if it matters) is 3/4 in diameter. It seals about 99%, just a tiny drip unless ofcourse I move the pipe them its a deluge of water. The one thing I noticed is from the youtube videos i've watched about UniSeal's the fitment between the pipe and the seal should be much tighter than mine is. I'm not sure why considering its a 3/4 inch seal and I'm using a 3/4 inch pipe.

20151108_121458.jpg

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also a picture for anyone interested in what lies under the lid.

20151108_121444.jpg

Today's Readings

PH 6.2
PPM 238

(no nutrients, just PH balanced water)

I'm waiting for CalMag to get here tomorrow, going to start using that with all my feedings.

Day 9

So CalMag didn't show up and apparently was suddenly out of stock from the seller at Amazon.

I went to my local store today and of course they closed at 5pm, got there at 5:12 :(

I'll have to try to get there earlier tomorrow.

PH 6.2
PPM 302 (no nutrients)

A couple pictures of the girls today.

20151110_183045.jpg

20151110_183105.jpg

How do people count their vegging time in weeks? What do you use for the start date? I generally say the day I place the germinated seeds under the light. Is that right?

If so yesterday was one week veg. Since I'm running such a large tank and it's really early on I'm not going to change the water until I've had the CalMag in for a week. I'm going to (hopefully) get that tomorrow. From what I read watched earlier recommended dosage for CalMag is whatever brings your tank + 250PPM. Sound right?

I grabbed CalMag this morning from my local hydro store.

I added 30ml to my 15 gallon tank. 2ml/Gal.

I measured the PPM before the CalMag at 325 and about 5 minutes after the CalMag at 407.

That is the recommended dosage per the bottle. Should I increase the dosage to try and get PPM +250 from the 325 base?

Yea I've never dosed by specifically trying to raise the PPM a certain amount like 250.

I have always followed the specs on each GH bottle for feeding.

My problem is each of my last grows has come up with light and airy buds and I want to do a better job this time.

Anyone else using GH nutes in DWC that can tell me their schedule?

Day 12

I'm disappointed that I'm not really getting any feedback other than skunkpilot (thanks btw). I'm having some issues as you'll see below and REALLY need experienced help.

Yesterday I moved the girls to larger 5" net pots and I swapped out my air pump with a larger unit.

I took some pictures..

new net pots.

20151113_152603.jpg

I think she appears to be healthy and off to a good start.

20151113_152634.jpg

Same with this girl, I think she is looking pretty good so far.

20151113_152645.jpg

This is the first problem girl. She hasn't really taken to the rapid rooter from the start.

20151113_152655.jpg

Is there anything I can do to help or is she is a lost cause?

This is second problem girl. I'd say pretty similar to the first problem girl but she is a little bigger.

20151113_152715.jpg

Is there anything I can do to help or is she is a lost cause?

And #5
I think she is looking pretty good so far.

20151113_152726.jpg

Today's readings.. I got camera happy.

20151113_153008.jpg

The water level hasn't really changed since no roots have dropped into the solution yet.

Notice my PH dropped from 6.2 yesterday to 5.9 today and the PPM went from 436 yesterday to 465 today.

I'm not really understanding.. If the water level hasn't changed why would the PH go down and the PPM go up?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions. Please help :)

Ok, lets try to figure this out.

2 weeks in dwc without any nutrients at all?? Your plants are going to need some nutrition, they can't live on water and air alone and frankly I am surprised that they are still alive. I strongly suggest you get some nutrients flowing in that system, asap. Check your assumptions and research out DWC to see what others are doing at this stage. I think you will find that most people use an aerated nutrient mix all of the time, with the ppm's adjusted to suit the age of the plant.

regarding your dropping pH, that is indeed strange... usually it goes the other way. I think i know what is happening, but it is one big wild guess and you will have to do an experiment to see if I am right.

It is my belief that because of lack of nutrients, some of your roots are dying off. This same lowering of pH is sometimes seen along with fungus and rot problems in the root zone. So I believe that due to malnutrition, some of your roots have started to die. These dead roots are breaking down into the water and I believe that their residue is the cause of your mysterious pH rise.

It is my theory that if you start to give the proper nutrition to your plants, the roots will stop decaying and the cause of this odd fall of pH will go away. Also, since you will now have nutes reacting against your water, your pH drift will naturally reverse and start doing a normal rise between measurements, instead of going down. I think also that the root debris being added to the solution, is a good explanation for your PPM rise.

Good luck! I hope you get this figured out, and please let us know what you find!

Back
Top Bottom