Coco mania

yeah rhino are expensive think how much lighter my pockets felt after giving £400.00 for a fan then £300.00 for the filter lol. go on eBay. there cheap as chips but the quality isn't all that good. my rhino will last 14-`16 months easy. the cheaper ones you will change twice in one grow.
Hi Zoot.
Thanks for the training tips. Think I might split the grow into 3 groups of 6 (or scale it down to 15 plants 3x5) and try a dif method on each group :)
Yep, filtration is expensive. Only going to add it once "pennies" come available lol. I'lll probs add it in a month or so into the grow. I can set up so it's literally a 2 minute job to add it :) Don't want a cheap unit (false economy) and, as for Fleabay.......hmmmmmm, too risky in my opinion. :)

First off I wouldn't buy a cheap filter the most expensive thing in your groom should be your extraction system a rhino will last a couple of years if your humidity is correct also scrogs are not for big spaces like yours training becomes very hard when the room starts to fill with plant it's the best way to make the most of a small space not a big one as soon as they hit the screen you can't move them .no offense but it's your first grow keep it easy till you got some experience .I would veg till there about 5 nodes (sets of leaves)high then top them veg a bit longer and top any branches that start to go taller than the rest then when you think your groom is half full change the lights to 12/12 this way all plants areobile just incase you need to move them which as its a first grow its very possible

Hi Fatty.
Yep, false economy. Think I'll add one mid grow if I can get some pennies in :). I can set up so its literally a 2 minute job to add one.
Training wise, I think I'll split the grow into 3 groups of 6 (or drop to 15 plants (3x5) ) and try 3 dif ways and see which works best for me :)
Thanks again for the help.:high-five:

Jumping on board if I may sir. +reps for your guide to cocco. Im presently growing in a mix of cocco vermiculite and soil with a bottom level of washed stones. At about 45/45/10 ratio +stones. Just wondered what range ph I should be running in your mind. Many thanks and Im loving my part cocco experiance. Also going for a big girl at mo just after 20 off her hough.

Welcome aboard LA as for your ph I would treat it as soil so 6.5 the coco will improve airation and drainage I would also use a very mild nute mix as you will have to water more often and I would go feed water feed water where as in plain soil I would go w w f

Welcome aboard LA as for your ph I would treat it as soil so 6.5 the coco will improve airation and drainage I would also use a very mild nute mix as you will have to water more often and I would go feed water feed water where as in plain soil I would go w w f
Hi Fatty, am I reading that right, feed, FRESH water only, feed, FRESH water only etc, etc? How often (every 2 day?)

Hi Fatty, am I reading that right, feed, FRESH water only, feed, FRESH water only etc, etc? How often (every 2 day?)

Yes dude you read it right but that is only because he is using a mix of coco and soil if using straight coco or coco mixed with another inert (doesn't contain nutes) medium like perlite or rock wool then you never use plain water .
For the first couple of weeks you will only need to feed every other day but as soon as there 2 nodes high feed every day .
Coco is a hydroponic medium and the plants feed off the water you put in it so put plain water in the plants go hungry

I was thinking of putting clay balls in the bottom 6" off my pots to help drainage and increase root growth. Your thoughts please? :thumb:

Thanks again for the reassurances Fatty. :high-five: Think I might add Perlite too. Is it also inert?
My son threw me a curved ball yesterday regarding potting.:( I was going to put cuttings into small half litre pots then transplant into my 5 gallon buckets and let em grow. He reckons I need to transplant AGAIN when they go into flowering! Is this right???:wood:

Thanks again for the reassurances Fatty. :high-five: Think I might add Perlite too. Is it also inert?
My son threw me a curved ball yesterday regarding potting.:( I was going to put cuttings into small half litre pots then transplant into my 5 gallon buckets and let em grow. He reckons I need to transplant AGAIN when they go into flowering! Is this right???:wood:

Yes perlite is inert and make sure you give it a good wash with water ph'd to 5.8 before use I normally cut holes in the bottom of the bag open the top and tip a few gallons of water through which seems to do the job as for potting up there is plus sides to it but if your adding perlite you don't need to that's more of a soil thing to build the root ball up but in coco and perlite the roots grow like mad anyway I start mine in around half litre then 18 litre so you'll be good as you planned .
I've also been thinking about you splitting your grow in three the problem will be different techniques need different veg times so I don't think it would be a fair test of what suits you also you will end up with your grow all different heights but it will be good to see what yields best with a certain amount of veg time anyway I'm blabbing on now so anything else I'm here to helpi

Once again ....great advice and very welcome :high-five:. Being my first grow I think I need to keep it as simple and uncomplicated as possible. I'll defo add perlite and follow your advice. Half litre pots till 2 nodes high then transplant into the 5 gallon buckets. I'm just sorting out my light timers and contactors along with the venting hen I'm pretty much good to go :) Got 18 little lady cuttings on order (2-3 weeks till they're ready :) ) Getting all excited now lol.

Just a quick open question to anyone reading........can I run 4 x 600w HPS lights from a single socket if I use a 2500 watt contactor with built in timer? I was planning on wiring a plug and lead into the input side of the contactor/timer and wiring a 4 gang extention into the output side? I'm NO sparky so ALL advice is welcome.

My advice on that my friend is get a decent contacter like a black box or power plant I've melted a few plug sockets in my time and it's your life and anyone else that lives with you a 4 socket power plant is about 40 quid which in my eyes is cheaper than a family funarel
Thanks Fatty. To be honest, this is one area I really don't mind spending on. Safety is VERY important to me. Our local "friendly" hydro store sell 4 way Black Box for £80. ALL the guys use this store because he's "safe" but, MY GOD, he charges way over others for the priviledge.

There all the same it's a shame really but nout we can do
It's a piss take really. There are loads of cheaper suppliers on Fleabay but, for all I know, I could be messaging plod :(
On another note, I've just had a call from a mate who has some AK on the grow. £5 a cutting :), does it grow well in coco/perlite? He's a soil grower.

I can recommend a shop that's a bit cheaper if you like but I will pm you if you want it .and the ak is superb mate that stuff grows well in any medium

That would awesome if I lived closer mate but it's the whole "debit card" v cash thing. By the time you add P+P you're no better off lol. Thanks though.
Yep, think I'll give the AK a whirl :)

Wise words mate. I think a fiver a go is pretty good.......and he grows AWESOME stuff lol :)

Back
Top Bottom