Conradino23's Another Outdoor Grow With High Brix Soil - Air-Pots & SoCal Seed Stock

Re: Conradino23's Another Outdoor Grow With High Brix Soil - Air-Pots & SoCal Seed St

im more interested in quality rather than yield i grow just for me to smoke and i like to make butter to make brownies i usually use some indica for the butter good sleepytime brownie helps me sleep,im going to try 6 plants for my next grow i like variety so i will grow several different strains all from seed, i dont do clones yet i like growing them straight up top at the 3rd node and see what i get but im always willing to learn new ways to get higher quality,im glad you had a good time at the seaside sounds like you ate some good meals while you were there we love good italian,good luck with the clones hope it works out for ya

have a good one!

Re: Conradino23's Another Outdoor Grow With High Brix Soil - Air-Pots & SoCal Seed St

I wish I could do a tour of Northern Italy myself. Lombardy, Piedmont and Tuscany... I was taught how to cook northern Italian food from a friend of my mother's when I was 13. Viva la pasta! I went on to be a pro chef on the Monterey Peninsula, and Rocky Point at the north end of Big Sur. At one Italian restaurant on Cannery Row where I was the chef, Mama (the owner's mother) would complain that I did not use enough garlic, even if it was like, pure garlic pesto or something like that. I later went on to grow 75 heirloom garlics in Southern Oregon, mostly hardnecks. My favorite of all garlics is called Italian Easy Peel, a common variety grown in Oregon. Grows large, has good flavor, is a hardneck, and peels easy, as the name implies. I now know what Mama meant when he said that there was never enough garlic. There simply never is.

At one time I was slated to go to Madeline Kaman's cooking school in Annesy, France, near Turin, Italy and Geneva, Switzerland. But that was not to be. I had an interest free loan to go there, paid the deposit, but the Mitterrand government was then elected in France and she sent my deposit back with a letter that said that she was being slapped with a 100% increase in taxes, called an "artisan tax." She did not think that it was right that she would have to double her prices for the school. She later moved her cooking school to New England. I then decided to go back to college and finish my degrees in electrical and computer engineering. I can cook the whole range of French cuisine, but I prefer cooking Italian food myself, especially Northern Italian food. Pasta and garlic, the stuff of life. And Primativo wine (what we call Zinafandel here) and Chiante (what we call Sangiovese here). I had a pinot noir test vineyard at my ex's place in Southern Oregon. A one acre plot planted in 4 dijon clones. Sorry, off on a tangent about things Italian and French.

Oh yes, the father of the woman that taught me Italian cooking taught me how to plant by the moon, and how to make small greenhouses for delicate annual herbs. He did not speak a lick of English, but we understood each other just fine. His daughter translated if we got stuck on some subject. He also let me drink his dry red wine, a hair on your chest tannin bomb that he made in the basement. He had two 100 gallon oak casks aging at all times, and cases of bottled wine. It was good. The whole family and relatives would come by on Sunday and we would feast and drink wine.

My motto: Herbs and garlic, never leave home without them. And some good bud of course, but that goes without saying. Ciao baby.

I imagine the "fertilize once when planting" option makes the sea of little ones more tolerable. I would not want so many mouths to feed. I have 15-16 girls to tend. I spend most of my time preparing seperate meals for each one.

Oh good gawd.... I remember those days.... nono. 13 in the bloom tent and a similar count in veg. No.

I imagine the "fertilize once when planting" option makes the sea of little ones more tolerable. I would not want so many mouths to feed. I have 15-16 girls to tend. I spend most of my time preparing seperate meals for each one.

I used to dump on the sheep poop in a ring around them on the farm in Southern Oregon. I had geodesic dome greenhouses there. They all ate the same blend of barn muck soup. Here I feed the girls Miracle Grow, and I feed the boys half as much (no need for large males). Ya ya, MG is not organic, but they simply love the stuff. I do give them all a special mix of soil though, including wood ash, composted fir bark, pearlite, sand, silty loam, peat, and bio-char (mostly tiny burnt pine branches). And I toss a half dozen earth worms and a piece of dried boletus edulis mushroom cap from my yard here in each 15 gallon tub. Then I wheel them around so they will mature sexually when I want, and each sisterly strain has their own greenhouse here and a stud to tend to them come lovey dovey time. I also feed the mycelium once after they are transplanted into the 15 gallon tubs with molasses in water. Only once, I am not growing shrooms, I am growing weed.

im more interested in quality rather than yield i grow just for me to smoke and i like to make butter to make brownies i usually use some indica for the butter good sleepytime brownie helps me sleep,im going to try 6 plants for my next grow i like variety so i will grow several different strains all from seed, i dont do clones yet i like growing them straight up top at the 3rd node and see what i get but im always willing to learn new ways to get higher quality,im glad you had a good time at the seaside sounds like you ate some good meals while you were there we love good italian,good luck with the clones hope it works out for ya

have a good one!

Quality over quantity, that's the way to go :thumb:

I wish I could do a tour of Northern Italy myself. Lombardy, Piedmont and Tuscany... I was taught how to cook northern Italian food from a friend of my mother's when I was 13. Viva la pasta! I went on to be a pro chef on the Monterey Peninsula, and Rocky Point at the north end of Big Sur. At one Italian restaurant on Cannery Row where I was the chef, Mama (the owner's mother) would complain that I did not use enough garlic, even if it was like, pure garlic pesto or something like that. I later went on to grow 75 heirloom garlics in Southern Oregon, mostly hardnecks. My favorite of all garlics is called Italian Easy Peel, a common variety grown in Oregon. Grows large, has good flavor, is a hardneck, and peels easy, as the name implies. I now know what Mama meant when he said that there was never enough garlic. There simply never is.

At one time I was slated to go to Madeline Kaman's cooking school in Annesy, France, near Turin, Italy and Geneva, Switzerland. But that was not to be. I had an interest free loan to go there, paid the deposit, but the Mitterrand government was then elected in France and she sent my deposit back with a letter that said that she was being slapped with a 100% increase in taxes, called an "artisan tax." She did not think that it was right that she would have to double her prices for the school. She later moved her cooking school to New England. I then decided to go back to college and finish my degrees in electrical and computer engineering. I can cook the whole range of French cuisine, but I prefer cooking Italian food myself, especially Northern Italian food. Pasta and garlic, the stuff of life. And Primativo wine (what we call Zinafandel here) and Chiante (what we call Sangiovese here). I had a pinot noir test vineyard at my ex's place in Southern Oregon. A one acre plot planted in 4 dijon clones. Sorry, off on a tangent about things Italian and French.

Oh yes, the father of the woman that taught me Italian cooking taught me how to plant by the moon, and how to make small greenhouses for delicate annual herbs. He did not speak a lick of English, but we understood each other just fine. His daughter translated if we got stuck on some subject. He also let me drink his dry red wine, a hair on your chest tannin bomb that he made in the basement. He had two 100 gallon oak casks aging at all times, and cases of bottled wine. It was good. The whole family and relatives would come by on Sunday and we would feast and drink wine.

My motto: Herbs and garlic, never leave home without them. And some good bud of course, but that goes without saying. Ciao baby.

I didn't know you were a chef. I feel the same about garlic by the way. I brought home some excellent pesto with a lot of garlic in it :high-five:

Oh good gawd.... I remember those days.... nono. 13 in the bloom tent and a similar count in veg. No.

And it works well for you :thumb:

Whats going on here!? Bat country, Man!

:tokin:

Everything's pretty cool. Heatwave is slowly breaking, we should be getting some rain this week, which hopefully will refresh the suffocating air we've had for the last two weeks or so.

I used to dump on the sheep poop in a ring around them on the farm in Southern Oregon. I had geodesic dome greenhouses there. They all ate the same blend of barn muck soup. Here I feed the girls Miracle Grow, and I feed the boys half as much (no need for large males). Ya ya, MG is not organic, but they simply love the stuff. I do give them all a special mix of soil though, including wood ash, composted fir bark, pearlite, sand, silty loam, peat, and bio-char (mostly tiny burnt pine branches). And I toss a half dozen earth worms and a piece of dried boletus edulis mushroom cap from my yard here in each 15 gallon tub. Then I wheel them around so they will mature sexually when I want, and each sisterly strain has their own greenhouse here and a stud to tend to them come lovey dovey time. I also feed the mycelium once after they are transplanted into the 15 gallon tubs with molasses in water. Only once, I am not growing shrooms, I am growing weed.

I personally stay off synthetic nutrients, cause I'm an organic guy. Wonder how MG affects the final product. I heard joints crackle if you go overboard with this stuff :cheesygrinsmiley:

A small update on Bubba Hash and Sensi Star. The first one is growing like crazy and the other one is very slow, which is the general impression.

BH on the right and SS on the left

IMG_61519.JPG

A close-up of BH, which seems like a Bubba Kush pheno (Katsu cut) from what I've been able to figure by reading other grows. Stretchy plant with excellent vigour and limey green leaves that sport 9 blades. Definitely doesn't look like a classic indica, but more of a sativa-dominant hybrid. No branching so far, which I hope is gonna change in flowering. I'm starting 48 hr darkness period tonight.

bh12.JPG
bh21.JPG
bh31.JPG

A close-up of SS, which is a VERY SLOW plant that doesn't seem to behave like F1 at all, more like badly inbred F5. She's way behind BH, so I'm gonna have to wait at least a week longer to start flowering her. BTW I finally found a nice thread on SS, where a grower who went through 500 plants claimed feminised version is indeed very sensitive, she doesn't like nutes, she doesn't like small pots and she absolutely cannot be topped. I wonder if she'd grow better if she was started in bigger pot, my temps were lower and she was transplanted into the ground instead of being grown in pot? I have few seeds left for another run and I'm gonna definitely check it out.

ss118.JPG
ss215.JPG

:blunt:

I wonder if she'd grow better if she was started in bigger pot

How would this really impact her?
I'm gonna try to use logic here... so watch your head and let me know if logic fails me.
I wouldn't imagine that a plant of that size would even have roots stretching out to the sides or bottom yet. As such, how would the plant even know if it were in a big or small pot?

morning conrad,i see what you mean that ss doesnt look as good as the bh the leaves aren't nice and smooth like the bubba it doesnt look as happy the bubba looks very happy thats gunna be a good one i think im with you organic all the way love the flavor and knowing your consuming pure produce!
have a good one!

conrad is it to late in the season to try a bonzai outside i will be home for the most part until the first part of sept.i will be gone for 3 weeks in sept' i do have auto watering system so it will be watered while im gone what do you think i have quite a few different seeds for the job?

Can't beat that almost neon green from growing outside in the sun. Nice looking plants :thumb:

Yep I had to give her more nitrogen/potassium and microelements after transplant, but since then she's flourished and seems like she's gonna be a beast in flowering!

How would this really impact her?
I'm gonna try to use logic here... so watch your head and let me know if logic fails me.
I wouldn't imagine that a plant of that size would even have roots stretching out to the sides or bottom yet. As such, how would the plant even know if it were in a big or small pot?

Yeah I know, man. It's slightly counterintuitive, but one thing I'm quite sure of is she'd prefer to veg in one pot until she's ready for a final transplant. However it's not only size of pot issue I'm feeling here, but more of the least disturbance possible approach. She needs to be treated like a disabled child, sheltered and pampered until she can survive without huffing and propping. We'll see if it changes anything. I have more seeds and I need to give them a try.

morning conrad,i see what you mean that ss doesnt look as good as the bh the leaves aren't nice and smooth like the bubba it doesnt look as happy the bubba looks very happy thats gunna be a good one i think im with you organic all the way love the flavor and knowing your consuming pure produce!
have a good one!

Yep that one actually likes organic soil and with a little guidance can grow into a nice plant.

conrad is it to late in the season to try a bonzai outside i will be home for the most part until the first part of sept.i will be gone for 3 weeks in sept' i do have auto watering system so it will be watered while im gone what do you think i have quite a few different seeds for the job?

No it's not. I'm actually popping two more seeds for last sun dep run, which is probably gonna finish in September. These are my freebies from Seedsman: Blueberry and White Widow (both fems). Just choose something with good vigour and resilience :thumb:

thanks conrad i will get something out of my seed pile lol and ill get it soaking then what size pot would be good for the final home so i can get some soil cooking in there ahead of time thanks!

hi again con,i think i want to go with pyramid seeds super hash fem its supposed to harvest in sept. i will be gone 3 weeks in sept on a road trip be back about the 20th should be just in time to take her to the end what do you think about my choice i have others if you dont think thats a good candidate i also have seedsman ww and skunk #1 both fems!

conrad i put 3 seeds in the water i thought i would start 3 in 1 gal pots get them going a bit and let you pick the one i should use unless you want me to do it a different way i have soil going rite now cooking thanks again im getting excited about it!

I've used MG fertilizers for herbs before. People talk alot of bad about it, but yes there are better fertilizers out there then MG but it works. Just do flush acouple three times during it's life cycle. And stop acouple weeks before harvest. MG isn't really designed for pot. But it does work. Use to be all that was around. But it is a salt based fetilizer.
Plants are sgtarting to take off there Con. I just up-potted the first UD to something larger. I'll get to the other today. Looks like they are going to need a LARGE pot by the time she finishes. We finally got some cooler weather. We broke a 100 degrees yesterday. High for Portland area. Today we got sprinkles so far today. I have a pic of them two strains you gifted;
ud6.jpg

I have a Star variant going myself. It was a gift from Brightlights. But it has a heavy indica appearance. But It is abit leggy seeing it's crossed with Tahoe OG.
Keepem Green

Yeah I know, man. It's slightly counterintuitive, but one thing I'm quite sure of is she'd prefer to veg in one pot until she's ready for a final transplant. However it's not only size of pot issue I'm feeling here, but more of the least disturbance possible approach. She needs to be treated like a disabled child, sheltered and pampered until she can survive without huffing and propping. We'll see if it changes anything. I have more seeds and I need to give them a try.

I often strive to remind myself that logic can fail one in a garden. Plants man.... like I'm dealing with living things instead of machines with knobs.
I certainly see the truths in your disturbance words. Rocking any boat in the garden can be touchy and un-needed transplants should always be avoided. Our girlies... they do like the nice smooth ride.... Cadillac ladies rather than Porche drivers.

Back
Top Bottom