Critical Mass and the Scientific Method

I'm working on some Critical Mass myself. My first batch is in veg right now. I will say this, those CM's are some spindly, thin little plants. They are growing side by side with some GH White Rhino, and the Rhino's are thicker, sturdier plants. The CM's were smaller and thinner coming out of the EZ Cloner, and are still that way after a couple of weeks in veg.

I'm pretty surprised given the plants lineage. Anyways, I'm curious what you think about your Critical Mass versus other strains you've grown. Good luck with your grow.

Thanks to everyone for checking in. Duck you are right about the plant stands as I plan on building something very similar to what you have. I might even jack you designs entirely, hope you don't mind.

Don't mind one bit and its not jacking in any way, I am here to share and would not be where I am (not far from harvest) were it not for those of the same mindset that came before me!

Anyone who has ever taken a 7th grade science class is familiar with the scientific method. You know the whole hypothesis, observation, conclusion deal. Well I'm not a scientist, (i did take botany as an elective in college, got a B-, it was at 8am) but I do believe that since I am a new grower with no practical experience that using logical methodology will help me develop my growing skills as quickly as possible. Also, since I plan on harvesting every three weeks I will have ample opportunities to test the many theories I will have.

I actually am a scientist, biologist tho, not a botanist. I am pretty much doing the same thing too, trying to use logic as a base, starting with standards then I will incorporate variations. Being a scientist I know that such small data sets (3 to even say 10 plants at a time) would not be adequit to form publishable (esp. peer reviewed) conclusions, but since we cant (or at least shouldn't ;) ) run 1000 plants at a time for a proper data set, we do the best we can and try to learn as much as possible with what we have. So yeah, I like your thinking!

Since I didn't have anything better to do I also went to the the local party supply store and picked up some of the metallic silver gift wrapping paper. From what I've read this stuff is in fact just really thin mylar and it only cost me 4 bucks. Even if not it's still way more reflective than the dirty brown wall it is covering up.

Like it, looks cool! and effective. Did you see the hanging reflectors on my set-up? (I'll post a couple pics below in case you didn't, hope you dont mind). Looks like something like that would work perfect for your veg. on the two open sides. When I put up my reflectors I am amazed at how much the light jumps, wish I had a light meter so I could measure it. If you had some of that paper left you could tape it to cardboard that was just big enough to enclose each side. Just a thought, a Macgyver type thought! Make sure to use duct tape and try to get a paperclip into the design! LOL
:peace:
HD

rsz_aarons_046.jpg

rsz_aarons_047.jpg

Day 11 Veg

Thanks for the responses guys,

HD -- I actually did build walls for the front and side but they caused an unacceptable increase in temperature due to poor air circulation. I'll probably cut the front panel off and use the side so that I have "mylar" on three sides ganja diorama style.

snowking -- Feel free to post pics of your CM plants here. I would love to see what I have to look forward too.

Alright guys I need your help. I'm starting to get the dreaded eagle claw leaf curling along with some signs of either nute burn or a deficiency. Possible reasons could be transplant shock, over-watering, or nute burn. When transplanting into the 1 gallon containers I watered them in with a half strength solution of big bloom which foxfarm recommends for seedlings. ph was adjusted to approx. 6.5 so I don't think that is the problem. Also it had only been two days from when I watered to when I transplanted and watered again so maybe just overwatering.

So here's my dilemma, I think that I have nute burn and need to flush, but if I flush that would also make the overwatering situation worse. What makes this all the more confusing is that the roots seem to be loving the current situation as I already have lots of bright white roots coming out of the bottom of the new containers after only three days since transplant.

A few of the plants seem to be loving the conditions while others look like hell IMO. I will monitor the situation over the next day and if it gets worse I will probably flush the sickly plants. Any ideas on how to fix this would be much appreciated. Pic time...

Group Shot...
DSC_0001_2.jpg

Plants doing well...
DSC_0003_2.jpg

DSC_0004_1.jpg

Sickly Plants...
DSC_0005_1.jpg

DSC_0006_1.jpg

DSC_0007_.jpg

Healthy on right, sickly on left...
DSC_0010_1.jpg

Sounds like and looks like the overwatering and over nute theories may both be the case, but both relatively mellow. I think you would be very safe to just let them take in the water with current nutes over the next few days, keeping a close eye to see if there is any more nute burning on the leaves, if not let them take all that water in and next feed drop the nutes down a little, but dont eliminate nutes cause I really dont think it looks like they are burnt bad at all.

Hey guys thanks for the quick responses...

Ab I think you were right about the K shortage. After your post I flushed the plants and watered them with a mild Grow Big solution. I just arrived home from work to check on them and their condition seems to have improved considerably. The browning hasn't gotten worse and most of the leaves have straightened out and are looking proper. Hopefully the plants and I can move forward from this and remain friends. Thanks for the link to that book, it was very helpful. Do you own this book and would you recommend it? I have Jorge Cervantes' book but that one seems to be laid out a little more logically with information easier to find, kinda like a reference manual. I may head over to amazon and pick it up.

Updated pictures tomorrow maybe, depending on if they look better or not.(jk)
Until next time...

Been watching your grow CK. Wonder if the peat in the rapid rooter and the promix is what made your ph start to drift down?

I seen a fan for your plants have been recommended a couple times. I highly recommend one. Keeps the tops of the plants cooler and really thickens up the stalks so they can support bud weight. All I use in my little veg box is a computer fan and them fighting constantly moving even a little has my little girls so I can blow on them and they don't budge and they are 4 inches tall and 2 about an inch and a 1/2. You might need something a bit bigger for that many plants to get them all covered though.

:peace: brother and wishing you well on your grow!

So things have been up and down with the grow lately. I thought I had the deficiency problem figured out but the situation got worse after signs that it might be getting better. So after doing some research I found that I might actually have a magnesium deficiency instead of potassium. All of the symptoms I have been having such as leaf browning, purple stems, stretching, and leaves curling inward seem to indicate this from what I've read. Anyway earlier today the plants were foliar fed epsom salt at a rate of 1/4 teaspoon in a quart spray bottle of distilled water. The effect has been pretty dramatic. Most of the leaf curl is gone. The plants look much greener, the leaves are now reaching for the light instead of sagging.

I think the problem here has been my tap water. From what I've read either excess chlorine or calcium can lock magnesium out from the roots. I have been checking my runoff ph which has been fine so I do not think this is the problem. From here on out I will use RO water. I will get 5 gallon jugs and fill them at the Walmart MJ supply store for $.27 a gallon. This will be a pain in the ass but grow room funds must me spent on a flowering light before I can buy an RO filter. Anyway here are the pics. Let me know what you think. By the way the tallest plant is just over 9 inches tall.

DSC_0020_.jpg

DSC_0024_.jpg

DSC_0023_.jpg

DSC_0026_.jpg

DSC_0025_.jpg

DSC_0027_.jpg

DSC_0028_.jpg

Day 23

Thanks for the responses guys. No worries Ab, you were the one who got me looking in the right direction so my thanks to you. Today's update will be brief as I have been working in the grow room all day and I am beat. The room is still a work in progress because I had to get the plants back into the room for lights out. Anyway I got the frame for the partition wall up and have started to hang the plastic. Pics...

A couple pics of the finished partition frame.
DSC_0009_.jpg

DSC_0008_1.jpg

The plants were waiting patiently in the shower.
DSC_0011_.jpg

A couple of shots of the plants in the half finished room.
DSC_0014_2.jpg

DSC_0013_.jpg

All comments or questions welcome. Until next time...

Back
Top Bottom