Dakine Real Maui Wowie In The Midwest

Sneaky lil bastard! :rofl: Late to the party, but wearing his party dress!

The problem with IBLs is at some point recessive traits can pop up.

That's why its VERY important to keep the F1s. Or at least a good amount. You can line breed a similar (yet genetically unique) cousin to cross in the next gen to avoid this

SmartSelect_20181022-193512_Chrome.jpg

Anywhoo. Hope they do well for you turbo. I've been warned against males that blow their load in veg or super early in flower. But penny is right better to have the good bad ugly and beautiful than mediocre or shit seeds. And like you said if were gonna make a career of it we need to learn all we can! Be well buddy

I've been warned against males that blow their load in veg or super early in flower.

Man, would have been nice to share that a month ago.Lol. Any specific reasons why? Indicator of underlying issues? Or just a trait not commonly desired? I have some pollen collected from the early male if it's gonna make junk I'll just pitch it.

So I snapped some pics yesterday while I was disposing of the early male and rearranging everyone. Once I get a tower fan in there I can ditch the box fan and get some real estate back.

And some pics from today

The male was my #1 selection through seed which is good and bad. The number two and three look real good still. The number 4 actually surprised me, she's short (started stunted, my fault) but has a really nice bushy structure. So I'll be keeping cuts from all 4 of those.

It's looking like a male rather than a Hermie. I was hoping for two males to help mitigate some of the downfalls of a shallow Gene pool. So I'll be excited if it is an actual male. One male, one early male, 4 good females and that freaky monster should be a good enough population to keep things Maui atleast. It's helped me learn more about how these plants develop so not worthless even if the seeds are.

Nice!
That's a good way to look at it, though I doubt its a wash... and the more I've seen you guys do this it's kind of preservation is making me wonder if I shouldn't do a preservation, open pollination project first, just so that I have the opportunity to observe before I go in headfirst with a breeding project....

Too bad I know of no indigenous weed to Ireland...my ancestral home so maybe there's a connection but digress, I chose to preserve the Malawi Gold. It's a plant I've covetted since the early 90s.

Way excited for you It sounds like you could have good diversity in there at least to preserve the Maui genetics you shouldn't have any trouble being able to pull some phenotypes out of there true to your remembrance, lock in the main traits you like, I would do an occasional genetic mix to increase vigor if breeding and you got it....very nice ndeed!!!

Nice!
That's a good way to look at it, though I doubt its a wash... and the more I've seen you guys do this it's kind of preservation is making me wonder if I shouldn't do a preservation, open pollination project first, just so that I have the opportunity to observe before I go in headfirst with a breeding project....

Too bad I know of no indigenous weed to Ireland...my ancestral home so maybe there's a connection but digress, I chose to preserve the Malawi Gold. It's a plant I've covetted since the early 90s.

Way excited for you It sounds like you could have good diversity in there at least to preserve the Maui genetics you shouldn't have any trouble being able to pull some phenotypes out of there true to your remembrance, lock in the main traits you like, I would do an occasional genetic mix to increase vigor if breeding and you got it....very nice ndeed!!!

Thanks bud. My thoughts on the open run have been just letting them go with minimal training see what they all do. If I have one that I don't like as much I may not keep as many seeds from it.
I'm actually quite happy with the male I'll keep one around as a bonsai pollen donor for some of my own crosses and back crossing.

I'm still trying to figure out how to move away from hand watering. I think I have it narrowed down to Alaska grow buckets or Dutch buckets but hydro soil keeps pulling at me

A few shots of the Maui Wowie crop

Maui Wowie pollinated crosses just some 2L bottle clones I tossed in awhile ago.
Girl scout crack, my number 2 she had big, really thick nugs so may be a fun one
Pex2 number 2 cut. These flower pretty quick and have a nice small structure so some nice possibilities there.

And a tent shot. Getting all filled up now.

Looking like quite a party in there Turbo! :slide:
Some of your girls are looking very much like the hybrid structure I think we should expect from the Maui Wowies. Do they appear more ‘uniform’ at all now that they’re mature? Or are you still seeing lots of variation?
:Namaste:

Yes and no. There's still the odd outlier with the big lanky one in the back corner. But the other 5 females seem quite similar the bud sites are all developing pretty uniformly. The size and shape of the plants now seems more strongly related to how they started life, the smallest plant after the gemination rescue/transplant is still the smallest etc.

I think expectations for a "true landrace sativa" are unrealistic. They are a domesticated strain that has been cultivated for generations, mostly outside. That being said I think my expectation for total homogeny during veg was foolish as well. All natural plants grow a little differently. I did expect a sativa that was relatively easy to grow indoors and it has been that so far. My only issue was caused by a poor decision on my end to screw with the pH in a system that I know works.

At this point I'm happy with the seeds. Especially seeing that male shape up so nicely for some crosses to play around with. If I want a tent full of identical Mauis I can take cuts or I can further breed and refine my own take on Maui Wowie if I want.

The verdict remains out till after I try it though. I'm in a different boat than you guys on that one I have no nostalgic memory of the Maui wowie from days gone by. I'm hoping it produces the effects for us it's rumored to produce, a clear headed relaxing buzz with good flavor. If not the hunt continues.

Excellently put. They really look great. :thumb:
Especially seeing that male shape up so nicely for some crosses to play around with.
Absolutely. He’s quite a stunner!!:D
The verdict remains out till after I try it though.

:popcorn:
I'm in a different boat than you guys on that one I have no nostalgic memory of the Maui wowie from days gone by.
Oh me neither. It’s Gaea and maybe P’wise who remember the taste etc. I’m chomping at the bit for Lady Gaea’s first taste test! :popcorn:

My fascination with it was born when I watched Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin and Dolly Parton smoke it (or perform smoking it) together on film - “a good old fashioned ladies pot party”! I was a happy stoned teenager at the time and the way lily said Maui Wowie just stuck with me :battingeyelashes:

I still have the seeds on my short list for the outdoor summer grow. Kinda hanging back to see how yours and the good Lady’s turn out, and how long they take to finish. I can’t have too long a flower outside here, things can get wet :hmmmm:

expectations for a "true landrace sativa" are unrealistic.
so maybe anything from Hawaii is gonna be more heirloom than landrace, yeah? That’s the impression I get after reading some of what Conrad has re posted here on Landrace.

So I think they look great and if they finish nicely in around 8weeks (which I realise may be unlikely) then I may just run one.

Glad it’s going well! :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom