stickygreen420

Soil: terra canna professional

Fertilizer: terra canna Vega 50ml/10l

IMG_20220722_153116.jpg

IMG_20220722_153114.jpg

IMG_20220722_153111.jpg

IMG_20220722_153109.jpg

IMG_20220722_153105.jpg

Also on an off-note. I wonder if it's time to up pot? They've been in these 3gal containers for more than a month.

They're still growing. Im watering every other day 5L per 3gal pot

I would say that it is two things, first, definitely a need to uppot and the lower fans are showing you that. The rest looks like magnesium deficiency. I would add some calmag to your normal nutrients.. be sure to add the calmag to the bucket first.
Bit confused here, isnt one of the signs of needing to up pot that the plant stops growing?

I tho the yellow leaves at the bottom are caused by a deficiency

When it is time to uppot, the roots have reached a point of diminishing returns... they are getting in each other's way. This reduces the amount of nutrients and even water that they can get up into the plant and the plant senses that it is not getting as much nutrient as it did previously, so it starts to cannibalize the lower leaves as if there was a deficiency, even if there might not actually be one. The point of this is so that the plant can keep on growing. If the case is severe enough, I guess the plant could stop growing, but usually the plants are furiously growing at this point and will do what they need to do to keep growing. If you are watering properly, and watching the plant go through a repeated wet/dry cycle, the time to uppot is when your soil has stopped giving you a 3 day or better buffer between waterings. When the plant can suck dry every bit of water you can get your soil to hold, in 24-36 hours, THE VERY FIRST TIME, it is time to uppot. If you wait, the plant will slow down its water use again, because the roots are then getting in each other's way.

If however, you water on a strict schedule and don't follow your wet/dry cycle, you may never see that your plant got to this point because you are not monitoring the root development. It is easy to get in trouble with this water by the calendar method and the plant can stop growing when it gets in trouble because it doesn't like the schedule, and the best cure for a case of overwatering often times is an uppotting, so I can see why people would think that this stoppage of growth is the sign to uppot. Have you read my watering article that explains the wet/dry cycle and all the advantages it gives you? The plant will tell you when it is time to uppot. The link is down below.

When it is time to uppot, the roots have reached a point of diminishing returns... they are getting in each other's way. This reduces the amount of nutrients and even water that they can get up into the plant and the plant senses that it is not getting as much nutrient as it did previously, so it starts to cannibalize the lower leaves as if there was a deficiency, even if there might not actually be one. The point of this is so that the plant can keep on growing. If the case is severe enough, I guess the plant could stop growing, but usually the plants are furiously growing at this point and will do what they need to do to keep growing. If you are watering properly, and watching the plant go through a repeated wet/dry cycle, the time to uppot is when your soil has stopped giving you a 3 day or better buffer between waterings. When the plant can suck dry every bit of water you can get your soil to hold, in 24-36 hours, THE VERY FIRST TIME, it is time to uppot. If you wait, the plant will slow down its water use again, because the roots are then getting in each other's way.

If however, you water on a strict schedule and don't follow your wet/dry cycle, you may never see that your plant got to this point because you are not monitoring the root development. It is easy to get in trouble with this water by the calendar method and the plant can stop growing when it gets in trouble because it doesn't like the schedule, and the best cure for a case of overwatering often times is an uppotting, so I can see why people would think that this stoppage of growth is the sign to uppot. Have you read my watering article that explains the wet/dry cycle and all the advantages it gives you? The plant will tell you when it is time to uppot. The link is down below.
Yep i read your watering method.

However, its 40c here, so idk if that would still apply.

Even when i just up potted, i would never go more than 3 days without saturating the pots, even and empty pot will dry in less than a week at 40c

I guess im gonna up pot before the end of the month hopefully I'll find time as it aint easy up potting such big girls without damaging them.

Any tips on how to up pot such big plants from fabric pots? They're a bit harder to take out than plastic pots.

Also my main stem is split in 2 (has been for a while) so i don't know how much i can pull from there...

cloth pots are cheap and expendable. Simply slice it away. As hot as it is, I would go as big as you can manage... 15 - 25 gallon not out of the question, but at least 10. Get yourself a buffer. Good luck!
Damn 10-20 gals? I that would yield kilos😮😮😮😮

Sadly the largest i can go is 5gal im limited in space

3 to 5 is hardly worth the effort... the plant will adapt. I have finished out many a plant in a 3. Lets go with the calmag and call it a day
Even tho i still have so long left?

I still have all of August of VEG and September October and November for flower

You think 3 to 5 isn't gonna make any difference?

I want from a 1 gal>3gal>5gal

This is my up potting. Next year should i go 1>5 skipping the 3 you think? I tho doing 1,3,5 would yield better root health

As of right now my limit is 5, I'll see how this years grow ends and see if i still have room to maybe get a 7gal. But i doubt

Even tho i still have so long left?

I still have all of August of VEG and September October and November for flower

You think 3 to 5 isn't gonna make any difference?

I want from a 1 gal>3gal>5gal

This is my up potting. Next year should i go 1>5 skipping the 3 you think? I tho doing 1,3,5 would yield better root health

As of right now my limit is 5, I'll see how this years grow ends and see if i still have room to maybe get a 7gal. But i doubt
I`ve used 5 gallon pots the last couple of years and have noticed the plants only get so big. I have one 10 gallon this year and the plant is already my biggest potted plant to date. I think I will go with a couple 15 or 20 gallon pots next year. Definitely makes a big difference.

I`ve used 5 gallon pots the last couple of years and have noticed the plants only get so big. I have one 10 gallon this year and the plant is already my biggest potted plant to date. I think I will go with a couple 15 or 20 gallon pots next year. Definitely makes a big difference.
trust me, trust me my friend i'd use a 50gal pot if it were for me! sadly my plants can only get so tall (not very) i already did some crazy LST to keep these at bay, i got all the branches doing all kind of crazy bends. i wish there was a way to stop the branches from growing vertically and allow the other small ones to grow, so far my only method has been cutting the ones that get too tall if LST doesn't cut it.

might give 7gal a shot next year, but 5 is pushing it already i struggle to keep them below a meter in height

if you have some advice on how i can keep my girls below a meter... right now i'm spending 1 hour every 1-2 weeks on each plant just to be able to keep them below a meter in height

trust me, trust me my friend i'd use a 50gal pot if it were for me! sadly my plants can only get so tall (not very) i already did some crazy LST to keep these at bay, i got all the branches doing all kind of crazy bends. i wish there was a way to stop the branches from growing vertically and allow the other small ones to grow, so far my only method has been cutting the ones that get too tall if LST doesn't cut it.

might give 7gal a shot next year, but 5 is pushing it already i struggle to keep them below a meter in height

if you have some advice on how i can keep my girls below a meter... right now i'm spending 1 hour every 1-2 weeks on each plant just to be able to keep them below a meter in height
Are you able to dig down and bury the pot to whatever depth?
Would buy some growth height/time. Probably keep the roots a bit cooler too 😁

Apologies for suggesting dig. I’ve looked up top and realize you’re on solid ground.

Have a peek at IntheSheds Lst thread prior to next grow.
Some very impressive, squat, monster shrubs there, in similar pots/bags
My issues it that they get so big and with so many branches that its impossible to keep LST as you run out of space and the only way is to keep letting them grow sideways, but they'll grow so far the branches will snap in flower because they're long and thin.

I would like to make plants with short, very thick branches with big budding sites.

How can i do that? Topping and LST doesnt seem to be enough...

Maybe always cutting new branches and just leaving a few to develop?

Just going to chirp one thing...I've seen massive plants in no gal pots before...massive plants in grow cubes...and massive plants in 2gal plastics...what really matters is ...how do you feed? If you grow organic..top feeding micronized nutes you need a min 7Gal...feeding salt based...just keep trimming the brown roots off every two weeks and repotting in the same container...just like keeping a momma...easy peasy

Hey @stickygreen420!

I'll chirp in here and vote the dead spots are due to nutrient burn – just a hunch. Doesn't look like mag deficiency to me. When I have pot size problems (too small) I don't see necrosis that looks like this. You could try cutting back on the nutes and run some pure water for a while. But first remove the affected leaves, so you'll be easily able to see improvement (or not).

I grow mainly in 15 gal smart pots. I also grow out plants in 6 gal, and recently got a nice 6 oz yield from a 6 gal. I'm doing outdoor natural grow in greenhouses. You could up pot to 6 gal maybe. Make sure to gently loosen the root ball a bit. You could also add some myco "in the hole" and on the root ball.

Back
Top Bottom