Dennise - No Longer The Newest Of Newbies - Not Growing In MG - Perpetual

OMG you sound just like my old man... Every time we fill one up he goes and buys another... with all the money he has spent on out buildings he could have built one hell of a garage and he is a stick framer and carpenter by trade...:straightface:... I did have this one pretty well cleaned out except for my furniture projects and my gardening supplies and Barney showed up...:yikes: He is a Great Pyreness and just beautiful and the sweetest thing... and he was hungry and needed some place to stay so he got the big shed that this bike and the shovel head were in....and when you're me.. you can't take care of an animal and not give it a home.... I tried to find him a good home and no one passed my test so I have a new 100 lb puppy...:) Fella is just thrilled beyond words..:biglaugh::biglaugh:...:circle-of-love:

Sorry. I am just catching up. Congratulations on the new family member!!! It is a Great home for a Great Pyrenees!! :circle-of-love::peace:

Thanks for answering my guano question Dennise.

It was a little hard for me to tell exactly how you did your LST. Mind giving a simple expanation? Your plants are so inspiring.

:thanks:
I'll certainly give it a try Chimp.... First make sure they are good and hydrated so the limbs are a bit easier to manipulate.... then figure out which way you want to bend your main stalk... she should be big enough at the time you start... I would guess around the 4th node depending on the stretch you have in the strain... but enough to bend her over.... but I start with the main stalk and I use a safety pin attached on the outside of the smartpot at about the soil line to keep it from just caving in and then I use a pipe cleaner... the soft kind.... and I twist it around the stalk and gently pull it down... I run the pipe cleaner through the safety pins and tighten them down... You need to be careful not to pull it to quick or tight so it doesn't snap the stalk or limb... once you have your stalk tide down that may be all that you can do for that day and let her grow a bit then as your limbs start to grow up do the samething to them you did to the stalk all around your pot until you fill your pot and each time you water you can pull them down a little bit more.... that is how I keep my girls so low... If you have ever seen Light Addicts fluxs... this is sorta my version of it.... he takes off every other node to keep everything low and even... I just don't remove the every other node and my girls aren't as even a flow as his but I don't work as hard on my girls as Light does... You can see one of his amazing fluxes in the POTM contest right now... anyhow if you continue to do this through the veg period... it will take a bit more time but you will end up with a monster that is very controlable and low... I hope this helps a bit and if you have any questions please feel free to just post them up and if I can't answer them someone will most certainly fly through that will be able to....:thumb:....:circle-of-love:
Sorry. I am just catching up. Congratulations on the new family member!!! It is a Great home for a Great Pyrenees!! :circle-of-love::peace:
Thank you so much Super... I have fallen in love with him and it just is what it is.... He is just the sweetest thing I have ever seen and the thought of taking a chance on someone else just throwing him away or worse... I just have a new dog...:)....:circle-of-love:

It was suggested to me by Canna to use some wooden skewers to kinda make a cage around the pot on the inside to hold my LSTing a bit better and I know I have 2 packages of them around here somewhere...:straightface: I have been using them to make my name tags for a long time... but I can't find them now anywhere...:thedoubletake: Don't ya hate it when that happens....:circle-of-love:

If you go to the store and buy some more you'll find them shortly after...:thedoubletake:

I like to find them then keep searching, so they weren't in the last place I looked...

Barney the Great Pyrenees and I are going to have a long talk... I just went out in my yard and there are 2... not 1 but 2 dead bunnies...:thedoubletake:.... He can't have my bunnies..... I've got to go play in my garden a minute before I go out there... the poor bunnies.....:circle-of-love:

Bad Barney....bad, bad Barney :thedoubletake::thedoubletake::thedoubletake:

K guys, now that I'm getting closer to making the jump and following PJ's recipe here.. I'm wondering if this soil mix would be applicable to all of the Seedling/Veg/Flower stages or what you think should change between the three....? Could use some help here, I'm not sure.

Here is what I'm in now. There are some changes ingredient wise but the ratio of base / perlite / amendments is comparable to the veg and flower soil in the mix Dennise and Bob are using. Crab meal has a nice dose of phosphate and nitrogen but is low in potassium.

There are some other minor changes to v2.01. Excellerite, the panca clay I was using as a mineralising agent is no longer available retail and I didn't want to pay shipping on a 50 pound bag. It was replaced with Cascade Minerals basalt dust and glacial rock dust.

1 5.0 cu ft bale Klasmann Deilmann K-1 with 15 % perlite by volume
1 3.5 cu ft bale of Sunshine #4 (yellow label)

The compressed bales break down into roughly double the volume so there was ~ 17 cubic feet of base material.

3.0 cu ft Fox Farms Ocean Forest
3.0 cu ft Chunky Perlite
2.5 cu ft Roots premium worm castings
5.0 Gallons Yum-Yum Mix
2.0 qts Crab Meal
4 # Cascade Minerals Basalt
2.5 # Glacial Rock Powder
2.5 # Soft Rock Phosphate
1.0 # Oyster Shell Four
2 cups granulated mixed mycos.

It cost us $210 buy the ingredients to mix the yard of soil. There are 201 gallons in a cubic yard. We also have plenty of rock dust, rock phosphate, etc to make another batch left over from what we purchased last fall. The leftovers will make mixing the next batch less expensive. Having friends to mix dirt with is great if you can do it because it spreads out the cost of buying amendments that are only available in quantities in excess of what the recipe requires.

newdirt.jpg

Baby soil:
2 gallon ProMix HP
2 qts perlite
5 cup FFOF
1/4 cup yum-yum (organic nutes)
3 Tbsp beneficial mycorrhiza (Growology step 1 is what I use)
1.5 cups water

Veg soil:
6 gallons ProMix
1 gallon perlite
3 qts worm castings
7.5 qts FFOF
3.5 cups yum-yum
1 cup azomite
2 Tbsp beneficial mycorrhiza
1 qt water

bloom soil:
15 gallons ProMix
3 gallons perlite
1 gallons worm castings
15 qts FFOF
2 qts Yum-Yum
3 cups azomite
1.5 cups Bat Guano
2 cups rock phosphate
2.5 qts water

Bob

:circle-of-love::circle-of-love::thanks::thanks::thanks::circle-of-love::circle-of-love:

K guys, now that I'm getting closer to making the jump and following PJ's recipe here.. I'm wondering if this soil mix would be applicable to all of the Seedling/Veg/Flower stages or what you think should change between the three....? Could use some help here, I'm not sure.

:circle-of-love::circle-of-love::thanks::thanks::thanks::circle-of-love::circle-of-love:
Humanzee, Being as new as I am, I don't know if this is what you are asking about, But I have PJ's seedling recipe mix if you want it. You need his first normal mixture made up first though. Just let me know if you want it, it's really small and I can post it if you'd like it. (Don't feel bad if it's not what your looking for, I'm just starting to watch this thread and not exactly sure what you are asking about)

Woops, forget it, I just noticed PJ's recipe's up there already. Sorry!

That's okay, my confusion can be contagious
:roorrip:

As far as I can tell, everything's already in the mix besides guano, right?...

I just need a little clarification

:circle-of-love:

It would appear that PJ changes his soil recipe every so often, It looks right, except in the one I got there is no bat guano and he also uses Azomite where in the above one it's 3 Tbsp beneficial mycorrhiza. I don't know if that's a name brand for the same thing, But they are almost the same recipe's. But if PJ (he has also helped me keep it on a very low budget) recommends it, I would go with it. I'm still new to this (just started my first grow in January) and up until PJ apparently left for a while, He has been helping me with everything in my grow. In the recipe he gave me, you have to make up his first normal soil recipe for vegging and flowering and use part of that to make the seedling mix recipe. But since I'm so new to all this, please take anything I say and be careful with it. I'm way to new to be handing out advice. I just have PJ's recipe's for seedling's and the recipe for vegging and blooming. Good Luck with your grow!

Well, I've been told that PJ adjusts his recipes to what he, or whoever he's helping has in order to keep costs low.

The azomite and mycorrhizae are two different things.

I'll probably just apply common sense and do what you did, as it seems to make the most sense
In the recipe he gave me, you have to make up his first normal soil recipe for vegging and flowering and use part of that to make the seedling mix recipe.

How different was yours to the one I posted above?

Well, I've been told that PJ adjusts his recipes to what he, or whoever he's helping has in order to keep costs low.

I'll probably just apply common sense and do what you did, as it seems to make the most sense

I'll post them both so you can see them. The first is his normal soil and the second (the really small one) is what he told me to use for seedlings.
Here's the first one:
PJ's recipe's are in bold

15 Gallons Peat
5 Gallons Perlite
3 Gallons Worm Castings
1 Gallon Yum-Yum Earth Food 2-1-1
1 Quart Azomite
3/4 Cup Lime

Just throw it in the big bin and mix the crap out of it. It's easier if you mix one half of everything, add the rest of the ingredients on top, and mix again.

And here is the second one, it's basically the same with a couple tweaks

PeeJays seedling mix

What you want to do is go ahead and mix some seedling dirt in the 10 gallon bin. Use 1 gallon of the already mixed soil, 1 gallon of peat, and 6 cups of perlite.

The bin he's referring to is just what I had laying around, it only makes about 2 gallons of seedling mix actually. I hope it helps you with what your looking for. My seedling's have grown great in it.

I'm logging off for now to help the wife with something, But will get an email if you have a question (that's how I answer so quick. I don't just sit on someones thread waiting, I just see it when an email comes through and hit it. I know it's not the CP way of doing it, but it works for me.)

:passitleft: High Chimp... I'm gonna post up the recipe PJ gave for mine cause it is quite differrent than what you have there... The bottom one is the recipe PJ worked up for Doc Bob and I use compost and no Fox Farms... there are several differences and hopefully between mine and Bob's we can figure out what ya got going on....:thumb:.....:circle-of-love:
Humanzee, Being as new as I am, I don't know if this is what you are asking about, But I have PJ's seedling recipe mix if you want it. You need his first normal mixture made up first though. Just let me know if you want it, it's really small and I can post it if you'd like it. (Don't feel bad if it's not what your looking for, I'm just starting to watch this thread and not exactly sure what you are asking about)

Woops, forget it, I just noticed PJ's recipe's up there already. Sorry!
:passitleft: High Smoke... it is so nice to see you here.....:circle-of-love:
Just looking randomly at Dennises thread, Here is my usual newbie response. Wow!
:thanks: .....:circle-of-love:

Confusion is my normal mental state...:trance:....:circle-of-love:
It would appear that PJ changes his soil recipe every so often, It looks right, except in the one I got there is no bat guano and he also uses Azomite where in the above one it's 3 Tbsp beneficial mycorrhiza. I don't know if that's a name brand for the same thing, But they are almost the same recipe's. But if PJ (he has also helped me keep it on a very low budget) recommends it, I would go with it. I'm still new to this (just started my first grow in January) and up until PJ apparently left for a while, He has been helping me with everything in my grow. In the recipe he gave me, you have to make up his first normal soil recipe for vegging and flowering and use part of that to make the seedling mix recipe. But since I'm so new to all this, please take anything I say and be careful with it. I'm way to new to be handing out advice. I just have PJ's recipe's for seedling's and the recipe for vegging and blooming. Good Luck with your grow!
PJ does exactly as you stated Smoke... He looks to see what each of us have available and can get access to and works the recipe for our needs....:circle-of-love:

I'll post them both so you can see them. The first is his normal soil and the second (the really small one) is what he told me to use for seedlings.
Here's the first one:
PJ's recipe's are in bold

15 Gallons Peat
5 Gallons Perlite
3 Gallons Worm Castings
1 Gallon Yum-Yum Earth Food 2-1-1
1 Quart Azomite
3/4 Cup Lime

Just throw it in the big bin and mix the crap out of it. It's easier if you mix one half of everything, add the rest of the ingredients on top, and mix again.

And here is the second one, it's basically the same with a couple tweaks

PeeJays seedling mix

What you want to do is go ahead and mix some seedling dirt in the 10 gallon bin. Use 1 gallon of the already mixed soil, 1 gallon of peat, and 6 cups of perlite.

The bin he's referring to is just what I had laying around, it only makes about 2 gallons of seedling mix actually. I hope it helps you with what your looking for. My seedling's have grown great in it.
Mine is a bit different and has 3 stages so I will post it up too.....:circle-of-love:
I'm logging off for now to help the wife with something, But will get an email if you have a question (that's how I answer so quick. I don't just sit on someones thread waiting, I just see it when an email comes through and hit it. I know it's not the CP way of doing it, but it works for me.)
Thank you for all your help Smoke... Hope you are having a blessed and green day....:circle-of-love:

PJ soil mix for Dennise:.....:circle-of-love:
seedlings:
2 gallon ProMix HP
2 quarts Perlite
1 cup compost
1/4 cup yum-yum
3 tbsp myco
1-1.5 cups water

Veg:
6 gallon ProMix HP
1 gallon Perlite
3 quarts worm castings