Doc Bud's High Brix Q&A With Pictures

The others may be more interesting smoke, but that Grape Ape is gorgeous!

The Grape Ape is interesting smoke too bro. It's nearly as popular as the Paki around here.

Next new strain in bloom will be Grape Stomper. I'm not completely sure of the genetics, but it should be interesting.
Right after that is the Colombian.

The next new seeds/genetics on deck are:

DJ Short's F13, followed by BOG's Sour Grape. I've got a lot of work to do between now and then!

Doc, question re: SWICK with the kits drenches...we know they get a little funky after being mixed and standing for a few days..
do they lose their efficacy if left standing? would you recommend trying them in a SWICK setup? TY

That's a very good question, Ziggy. I'm also enamoured by SWICK, but I fear it would fester and bloom with drenches added. I think just water might do the trick and then gently add drenches via the top.

It's exciting and along with a few other practices the LOS folks are using, it is definitely something we should carefully consider. I'm also quite interested in some of those comfrey/nettle teas. :blushsmile:

The same thing can be accomplished with the saucers---with more work involved. I'm looking at it as a way to be away from the garden for a few days. Bottom line, it's damn interesting, isn't it?

The coolest thing about having the philosophy of QUALITY first is that we are most likely to try new things and have breakthroughs because of it! We're not wedded to a single way of doing things. We are free to learn, try, and enjoy the real fun of cultivating cannabis!

It would be a shame to contaminate the entire SWICK medium. I think Sue mentioned a light drench (oxymoron? :cheesygrinsmiley:), feeding from the top just to the point of saturation but w/o runoff. That sounds like the safest bet to me. But I'm excited to see where this all goes. If the best of both methods can be harnessed, it might bump quality up another notch while reducing the effort even more. Go, Zig!

It would be a shame to contaminate the entire SWICK medium. I think Sue mentioned a light drench (oxymoron? :cheesygrinsmiley:), feeding from the top just to the point of saturation but w/o runoff. That sounds like the safest bet to me. But I'm excited to see where this all goes. If the best of both methods can be harnessed, it might bump quality up another notch while reducing the effort even more. Go, Zig!

Again, bottom watering is great and can be accomplished with the saucer.

SWICK will result in a homogenous, constant state of moisture.....without much work or worry.

But if it blooms.....could be a problem. But if it doesn't bloom.....adds a whole other dimension.

The Grape Ape is interesting smoke too bro. It's nearly as popular as the Paki around here.

Next new strain in bloom will be Grape Stomper. I'm not completely sure of the genetics, but it should be interesting.
Right after that is the Colombian.

The next new seeds/genetics on deck are:

DJ Short's F13, followed by BOG's Sour Grape. I've got a lot of work to do between now and then!

Good call on the Grape Stomper... I remember writing in one of your journals a while ago how much I loved it! You are gonna kill it with that one, so potent. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Hey Doc, another quick question for ya.

I'm contemplating starting all of my Outdoor plants from Seed this summer. I was curious if: I popped them in RockWool Cubes under 18/6 and then transplanted them into their Outdoor Pots once they had started growing their first set of true leaves, would things be thrown off?

Anyone can feel free to offer up advice! :cheesygrinsmiley:

I'm contemplating starting all of my Outdoor plants from Seed this summer. I was curious if: I popped them in RockWool Cubes under 18/6 and then transplanted them into their Outdoor Pots once they had started growing their first set of true leaves, would things be thrown off?

Why do you want to use RW instead of soil for germination?
I currently use RW and don't think it would hurt, but I also don't see any benefit. For simplicity, I'll stick with soil whether clones or seed. Give the babies that HB magic right from the get-go.

I currently use RW and don't think it would hurt, but I also don't see any benefit. For simplicity, I'll stick with soil whether clones or seed. Give the babies that HB magic right from the get-go.

Well I have 100% success rate with RockWool, and I have seen many people on this website try to start seeds in the kit only to end up burning them... And even though Doc probably has an extremely high rate of Germination, it is HIS soil we are talking about.

I would just be very upset if I lost my seeds because I made an amateur mistake trying to start them in the soil.

I was more concerned about moving them from 18/6 to the Sun's Schedule... I know germing them under 24/0 would be optimal if I was trying to move them outside but I cant change the light cycle in my Veg Room.. :cheesygrinsmiley:

Doc, I am going to use a dilute Transplant water only, no Tea, in the SWICK. it seems to be most user friendly and compatible with all the kits drenches. The other drenches when the time is right, will be used over the top, with Tea.
My question I just thought of while writing this, should one use a stronger drench than usual when feeding from the top, when using SWICK since the soil will be hydrated already? :scratchinghead: TY

Max-
I share your concern about possible burn. When starting from seed, my current plan is to "dilute" Doc's soil mix a little with some additional perlite. I hope that will be a happy compromise of HB soil, adding a little protection while lightening the soil for initial root growth.

I'm speaking out of my fanny since I'm relatively new to all this, but I don't see an issue with 18/6 for germ. I will likely start with clones for my 1st HB trial, and will match the photoperiod of the outside for June 1st - when they get moved outside. Luckily I'm about to finish my current grow and will be able to change my light schedule for the initial veg.

Hey Doc, another quick question for ya.

Anyone can feel free to offer up advice! :cheesygrinsmiley:

Well I have 100% success rate with RockWool, and I have seen many people on this website try to start seeds in the kit only to end up burning them... And even though Doc probably has an extremely high rate of Germination, it is HIS soil we are talking about.

I would just be very upset if I lost my seeds because I made an amateur mistake trying to start them in the soil.

I was more concerned about moving them from 18/6 to the Sun's Schedule... I know germing them under 24/0 would be optimal if I was trying to move them outside but I cant change the light cycle in my Veg Room.. :cheesygrinsmiley:

My germination rate is near 100%. I just got 11/12 3 yr old Colombian seeds to pop. I have no idea why people have trouble....I certainly don't.

Here's what I do:

Soak seeds in plain water for 12-24 hours. Longer times for older seeds. Do NOT let them open in the water.

In moistened HB soil, make a small divet with a pencil, chopstick, vape pen.....whatever.
Sprinkle a small amount of Roots! in the divet.
Place the seed in the divet and gently pinch the hole closed.

Wait patiently....perhaps moisten the top of the soil a bit after 2 or 3 days.....wait patiently.

Boom.

I won't start seeds in anything but dirt.

Doc, I am going to use a dilute Transplant water only, no Tea, in the SWICK. it seems to be most user friendly and compatible with all the kits drenches. The other drenches when the time is right, will be used over the top, with Tea.
My question I just thought of while writing this, should one use a stronger drench than usual when feeding from the top, when using SWICK since the soil will be hydrated already? :scratchinghead: TY

you will grow an algae garden with Transplant......

Re: seedlings

Max-
I share your concern about possible burn. When starting from seed, my current plan is to "dilute" Doc's soil mix a little with some additional perlite. I hope that will be a happy compromise of HB soil, adding a little protection while lightening the soil for initial root growth.

I'm speaking out of my fanny since I'm relatively new to all this, but I don't see an issue with 18/6 for germ. I will likely start with clones for my 1st HB trial, and will match the photoperiod of the outside for June 1st - when they get moved outside. Luckily I'm about to finish my current grow and will be able to change my light schedule for the initial veg.

I don't know why you'd dilute it....

Also use first run HB soil for seedlings. 2nd run and after will be 2 hot.

I don't know why you came to this conclusion. The soil is anything but hot.

So freshly mixed and cooked? Why would second run soil be too hot, wouldn't it be less hot since it has been used?

Precisely.

Again, I have zero problem starting seeds. I don't know what all the trouble is! May I suggest that perhaps the seeds people are buying online aren't completely fresh?

Back
Top Bottom