DocBud's Hempy Grow

Day 12 Flower.

Update! I got a light mover. The plants were getting so big, I couldn't get optimal light on the whole plant.
IMG_00485.JPG

IMG_00495.JPG

IMG_00507.JPG

The two tall ones in the front are Blue Dream. I suppose they've got more Sativa. They need water every day, the others can go 2 days.
IMG_00515.JPG

IMG_00527.JPG

IMG_00534.JPG

Looking great doc!

For having grown these as "starter" plants, I think you're headed for budville ;).

:smokin: I know! It's freakin' me out a little bit!

I counted 24 bud sites on one Blue Dream, 22 on the other, 19 on the Jack, 11 on the Flo, and 8 on the WW. White hairs all over the place, and using my new microscope, I saw my first tricome just now.:smokin:

:woohoo:

Thanks for stoppin' by.....and I can only hope that I'll be able to get results like you did on your current grow one day.

So this what you do in your spare time. I knew you were up to something. Read this from the beginning as it's fascinating. Any kind of hydro is really something I want to learn and understand.
You've done and are doing a great job Doc.
:ganjamon:

soon to be TNTC ;)

thank you doc, but going by this grow, that may happen very soon ;)

Thanks SS! BTW, what's TNTC?

So this what you do in your spare time. I knew you were up to something. Read this from the beginning as it's fascinating. Any kind of hydro is really something I want to learn and understand.
You've done and are doing a great job Doc.
:ganjamon:

Thanks for visiting OMM. As for learning and understanding, Hempy buckets are like having a calculator for your 4th grade math test. I don't see how you can go wrong with this method, and I look forward to using it in my next grow, which will be a "real" grow.

Just water, feed, and stand back.

If you've ever worked with sheep and lanolin matted wool, you realize that these things won't gum up quickly. However, if they did, you could always keep some alcohol in a spray bottle nearby.

I think I'll not need such a thing for a while, being a small grower for the present. I do plan on tripling what I'm doing now as soon as I learn what the hell I'm doing! :peace:

An abbreviation I remembered from long ago and far away when I did a rotation through microbiology.

TNTC - too numerous to count ;)

Thanks SS, and.....

MYTBTNTC

"May Your Tricomes Be Too Numerous To Count"
:amen: and again I say, :amen:

Thanks doc ;)

Couple of questions:

What magnification are you finding most useful for looking at trichs with your microscope?

and...

I would eventually like to have a grow method where my plants can go untended for at least a week.

With hempy buckets, the size of the res could be increased easily by placing the bucket(s) in a tray with additional nute solution. This might promote root rot, but maybe not.

I've also been thinking about autopots, which use a valve and are self-watering from a large external reservoir. You can use any soil-less medium.

any thoughts?

take care bro ;)

Thanks doc ;)

Couple of questions:

What magnification are you finding most useful for looking at trichs with your microscope?

and...

I would eventually like to have a grow method where my plants can go untended for at least a week.

With hempy buckets, the size of the res could be increased easily by placing the bucket(s) in a tray with additional nute solution. This might promote root rot, but maybe not.

I've also been thinking about autopots, which use a valve and are self-watering from a large external reservoir. You can use any soil-less medium.

any thoughts?

take care bro ;)

Microscope: I'm not really practiced with it, but lower magnification is always easier to view things....small movement is amplified with magnification.

You and I are on the same page regarding automation of watering. Here's my current thinking on the topic:

1.)You don't want to increase the size of the pot's reservoir. You don't want root rot.
2.)Autowatering, therefore, must require an additional nute reservoir a la Ebb n Grow, Flood/drain, etc.

The idea I'm leaning towards is using a hydro pump, immersed in nute solution, on a timer. You can't overwater these things, unless you constantly water to the point where you overwhelm the drain hole.

So, if you watered for 5 minutes, once per day with a "safe" PPM and PH'd solution, you could be absent for days.....as long as you don't run out of nute solution.

Drain to waste is a very good thing as it keeps the salts from building up and keeps the PH stable.

I always have about a 10% runoff with each watering, which I test.

The PH of the runoff is within spec, and the PPM of the runoff is lower than what I put in.....which tells me the plants are eating and the salts aren't building up to the point where they are influencing the PH.

The easiest way, however, to be gone a week is to grow in 5 gallon buckets. I've heard of people watering every 5 days in those.....but you'll be able to sell firewood from the trunks of those nasty girls after you chop 'em.

All in all, I think soil is probably the safest for being gone a week, and hydro is the most dangerous. I can't believe how fast things can go south on a hydro grow.....just imagine a pump failure of bad fitting and you're not home for another 3 days. Bye bye plants.

With a hempy, you could revive them easy, i think.

Drain to waste is a very good thing as it keeps the salts from building up and keeps the PH stable.

I always have about a 10% runoff with each watering, which I test.

Have you thought about how to contain the runoff? I've seen hempy buckets with individual drain hoses going from the hole to a waste container.

I guess another way would be to have them in a large tray and just drain the train.

Either option depends on the hole(s) being above the res, but seem very doable.

thanks for all the good info bro!

Have you thought about how to contain the runoff? I've seen hempy buckets with individual drain hoses going from the hole to a waste container.

I guess another way would be to have them in a large tray and just drain the train.

Either option depends on the hole(s) being above the res, but seem very doable.

thanks for all the good info bro!

I have a tray in which I drilled a small hole. I just put a plastic cup under the hole to catch the runoff. Simple, easy, cheap.

Then I can test the runoff easily too. The Blue Dreams are quite different than the other 3, so they have their own tray.

I wish when I built this structure, where my grow room is, I had put a drain the the middle of the floor. That would have been amazing. But of course, growing wasn't even a thought at that time.....

Back
Top Bottom