Does it have any chance for old seed, 1 year and half, to sprout?

thanyawit

i germinate my old seed (1year and half ) direct to soil (super soil 4th cycle)
humidity 50-70% day temp : 93f night : 85-86f
now it's day 10 and it's not show up yet

Should i give up on day 14-17?

How was the seed stored? If I have stuff that doesn't sprout within a week or so it gets sat in my kitchen window. If it pops, great. If not...whatever. It's not wasting any electricity or tent space sitting in a window.

I'm assuming you mean you made super soil and have reused it, making for a total of four grows in the same soil without replenishment (reamending)?

The word 'germinate' threw me off since it has the same meaning as sprouting.

A seed of 1 and a 1/2 years is not old especially for a Marijuana seed. Some growers have planted seeds that are 10 years old, sometimes older than that, and had them sprout. It might take a few extra days for older seeds.

Those temperatures are way to high. It is possible that the seed is still dormant and waiting because of the heat. Try to drop the temps to something like 75 F during the day and 65-68 at night.

I have seeds in small bottles in the refrigerator that have been there for 4 years and they were already ovr 4 years old when someone gave them to me. Most of them will sprout. I have had very little luck with small seeds that are completely white since they seem to be immature.

How was the seed stored? If I have stuff that doesn't sprout within a week or so it gets sat in my kitchen window. If it pops, great. If not...whatever. It's not wasting any electricity or tent space sitting in a window.

I'm assuming you mean you made super soil and have reused it, making for a total of four grows in the same soil without replenishment (reamending)?
Some of the group here and other on-line gardening and growing web sites recommend using soil or soil mixes with very few nutrients for seed spouting and clone rooting. They idea is that the higher levels of nutrients encourage leaf and stem growth and soils with low levels of nutrients encourage root development first.

Most bagged 'seed starting mix' is basic peat moss, some worm castings and little else for this reason. Once the seed sprouts and the roots develop the grower is supposed to transplant to the regular growing soil with all the amendments and macro and micro nutrients.

I prefer using the same soil I will be growing the plant in whether it is seeds or cuttings.

Some of the group here and other on-line gardening and growing web sites recommend using soil or soil mixes with very few nutrients for seed spouting and clone rooting. They idea is that the higher levels of nutrients encourage leaf and stem growth and soils with low levels of nutrients encourage root development first.

Most bagged 'seed starting mix' is basic peat moss, some worm castings and little else for this reason. Once the seed sprouts and the roots develop the grower is supposed to transplant to the regular growing soil with all the amendments and macro and micro nutrients.

I prefer using the same soil I will be growing the plant in whether it is seeds or cuttings.
Yeah, they're talking about super soil, not a bagged mix. Super soil is a pretty hot recipe for seeds so I'm trying to find out if it's fresh/reamended/old.

I would have gone digging by now.

I would start in a seed sprouting mix. The supersoil is almost certainly too hot for a sprout.
You may have also planted it too deep.
I plant them as deep as the seed is tall.

Yeah, they're talking about super soil, not a bagged mix. Super soil is a pretty hot recipe for seeds so I'm trying to find out if it's fresh/reamended/old.
Yes, but after a couple of times using it the super soil is not as hot anymore since many of the water soluble nutrients have been used up. It is closer to the regular soil mixes until it has been amended to bring the levels back up. At least that is the way I figure it.

Yes, but after a couple of times using it the super soil is not as hot anymore since many of the water soluble nutrients have been used up. It is closer to the regular soil mixes until it has been amended to bring the levels back up. At least that is the way I figure it.
Yep! Which is why I asked the question in my post :D They don't say what their soil is specifically.

i germinate my old seed (1year and half ) direct to soil (super soil 4th cycle)
humidity 50-70% day temp : 93f night : 85-86f
now it's day 10 and it's not show up yet

Should i give up on day 14-17?
Hi thanyawit...Sometimes when seeds get older the shell becomes tougher and it takes more time for the plant to be able to break threw the shell tissue to germinate. Whenever I try to germinate older seeds I usually use a scuffing box ( a little box lined with sand paper) to scrap the shell a lil bit so when the seed starts trying to germinate water can more easily penetrate the harden shell and start the germinating process. ;)

If you have an older seed you should soak it in normal water to help soak through. Then again Mother Nature does it that way all the time. But if it is a special seed dig that up VERY carefully and if it is not cracked scuff the seam lightly and once it cracks than put it in the soil at least then you know it is cracked and if it does not germinate you will know.

I am germinating seeds I've had since 2015 with good success, I use peat plugs, I take a bowl, around 20oz's of water and put 1/2tps give or take of fox farm grow Big and ph the water to 6.3 to 6.5 soak the peat plugs over-night. I have an tray that takes 12plugs has a sperate bottom and clear plastic top: 6"x3"x3" the plugs have holes in the top about a 1/4" deep, drop your seed in and the cover on put a towel or something over the top, the seeds need to be in darkness until they come up. Once they come up the tap root should/must be poking out the bottom or side, wherever on the plug then you can transplant them, drop the seedling still in the plug in your dirt and keep it moving :cool:

Longtime lurker, first time poster. I've used the following method using H2O2 with great results for various plants and trees, now they did a study for cannabis seeds, works particularly well on old seeds.

I will tell you I found a seed that was loose in top drawer for several years , grew nice and tall. My fist grow actually

Back
Top Bottom