Emmie's LSD Grow Log

I have heard that you can also run it through a hydrogen peroxide wash and get the rot out of there... not sure I would want to smoke it, but the untouched branches should be ok. When I had my problem, I cut out what I could, tried the peroxide, and then sent most of that to the oil bag. It was a terrible waste of some purple kush... that's what it was.

But yeah... now you know those big gnats (midges) are the sign of bad things going on somewhere in the house... a fungus rot... those are fungus gnats.... big suckers... nothing like the little ones we see on the top of our soil.

Oh, and for the record, the pictures today were from day 27 of flower... just shy of 4 weeks from the harvest window.

I feel your pain with the gnats, I had them in my house plants took over a month to kill those little suckers.
Thanks for the info on the magnesium, I'm going to cut that back a bit and see if things start frosting up in the next couple weeks.
Always a pleasure stopping in here Emily, always a learning experience :goodjob:

Hey Emilya in fact I have noticed a few gnats (or midges as we call them here) around lately. I thought it was because of the new worm farm I recently purchased. I was still struggling with temps so would open the window at night, even though it was on the back of my mind that I was letting in cold damp air. I received my new lights today, they're pretty new to the industry and CoFinest is the only other grower that I have seen using them so far, hopefully these should put paid to any temperature issues for good and I will be able to grow in an enclosed environment again.

Thank you for the confirmation as it was a shame to see all that plant matter and bud going to waste as I did the chopping yesterday. Question though, there was a lot of bud that looked untouched by bud rot (in fact it was only the one branch that had it and that branch had been snapped and repaired previously) but because I wanted to take no chances I bagged it all up ready for the bin. If I was to freeze this then put it through some hash bags would you consider it safe to smoke or is it not worth the risk?

Great beautiful picture too Emilya, I love it and I'm sending some good grow karma over :Namaste:

Bud Washing (the hydrogen peroxide recipe)
Bud Washing

If it looks good afterwards, it will smoke good.

Wash now before it dries.

(flower, day 30)

Today the pictures are from dawn of the 30th day. I will let you determine whether color looks better. Although all the leaves have not come back, I think the overall color of the room has improved. I really think that doing all of the things I am doing right now, from the very beginning of flower next time will make the difference, and I would like to think that my problem with early flower yellowing is now part of my organic learning curve and is well behind me. We will see.

What I do see is that the buds have not suffered at all from all of this abuse. The buds are bigger, juicier, more trichome covered and weightier than I have ever seen at this point. They are also becoming very beautiful... just wait till I show off some of the others in the room! The colors that are showing up now are outstanding, and for the first time ever, those buds that I have drooled over in Rev's book are actually happening in my tent. Emmie is very pleased. Let's see what you think.

fulllsdf30.JPG

lsd1f30.JPG

lsd2f30.JPG

lsd4f30.JPG

lsd5f30.JPG

They are attracted to yellow. They make and sell yellow sticky pads made to attract them.
Ive read mosquito dunks work for the gnats.
Keeping soil very moist; Im beginning to wonder if a sweetened soil attracts them too.
Synthetic sweeteners do not attract bugs, BS molasses will. BS is best used outdoors for that reason.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Now that's what Shiggy likes to see. Close up of the trichs shows good things are happening!
me too!

Tall trichomes !

So since you feel you have learned about yellowing, what is your plan next flower cycle? Will you be re-using your soil?
I am actually out to prove what it is that I think I have figured out and to that end, of course I will be reusing the soil...and to go even further with that idea, I plan on doing a no-till replacement of plants into 3 of my presently being used, 7 gallon containers. I plan on pulling out the majority of the rootball and stuffing the new plants right in the used soil. I will be making about 6 nutrient spikes around the outer edge of this too, so there should be no doubt that the nutrients are available for the herd to find... I just want to prove to myself that this has more to do with the active microherd and proper watering, and not so much the well amended soil. As an example of what I am going to do to examine this situation, I have 2 acapulco golds coming into this next bloom cycle... one will be going into fresh soil, one into the no-till used soil. We will compare the results together.

Great close up picture EM

Those close ups are so nice for us old farts who have bad eyes :drool::rofl:
I also have a scratch n sniff series for those who are olfactorily challenged, as well as the narrarated and amplified version for those with auditory difficulties. lol

Emilya, I'm interested to know if you have come to a conclusion as to why the serrated edges have curled up? Im also experiencing this and was thinking either light intensity or from the fan.

Thanks for the great question Yeatster! No, I have not reached a conclusion, but I do have a working theory that will turn into a conclusion on harvest day. I have one plant in the tent who is not doing as well as the rest. On the last foliar spray of a mixture of Liquid Karma and Organic CalMag, she made it clear that she didn't like it. Several of the top fans went off color and got spots as if there was a non-mobile deficiency, or of course, a surplus of something she didn't like. Her water needs have also cut back, and I am a bit worried about her enough that she will be getting special attention for now. My point of all this is, she is not doing this curling up of the leaf margins. She is not vigorous enough to pull it off, yet she benefits from the same soil, teas, etc. as the other plants around her.

I said earlier that I wasn't convinced that it was a magnesium deficiency causing this, because of several reasons, 1. Cookies Kush isn't doing it. 2. I know how much is in the supersoil mix, and 3. if anything, I overuse molasses. I actually suspected that it could be too much magnesium! I cut back on the calmag and the molasses and began using FoxFarm Big Bloom as a organic boost with each watering last week instead. I can perceive no difference associated with this change. It is not the magnesium as much as I can tell at this point.

4. I am convinced that the xylem pressures are off the chart in these plants and that they are in what we would have to consider to be a very strongly accelerated growth pattern, if not an almost hyperdrive. It seems reasonable to assume that to go through a half gallon of water each day, she is working as hard as she can. I believe that because of these extremely high pressures available even at the tip top of the plant, she is able to shape her leaves into the pattern that is optimal for casting off excess water, which of course completes the cycle that allows her to be able to produce these high water and nutrient pressures, benefiting the entire plant, right up into the buds. It is an amazing system that I believe we see happening here, and completely natural. Until I see reason to worry about this particular instance of canoeing, and I am going to consider this dramatic leaf action to be not only a good thing, but probably a very good thing, until I see a reason to think differently.

Synthetic sweeteners do not attract bugs, BS molasses will. BS is best used outdoors for that reason.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Someone said that if you were afraid of a few bugs, organic isn't for you. Let me add to that, if you can't abide by nasty smelling ground up fish parts, worm poop and knowing that all manners of amoebas and protozoa and micro beasties are brewing in a bucket near where you live... again, maybe rethink organics.

I have a few little gnats ... they try to survive. I think the microbeasties eat them. Those that survive, find my gnat paper... Every once in awhile, a little crawly bug will show up, probably from the worm castings or the ancient forest... they don't last long either. As long as I keep the molasses in the soil, in the house, in the tent... the few bugs that might find it accidentally are welcome to take on the microherd. Good luck.

Molasses is sugar in the best form to be able to be used immediately by your rhizosphere. I ain't afraid of no bugs... well not these bugs anyway. If spider mites were attracted by molasses... I would sing a different tune.

Gnats, another thing we are having in common. I see one here and there.
you should have seen them on the grow when I was using fresh compost as part of the mix of my top layer! I learned from that one to bury the manure and such things in deep layers. :) I was spraying neem trying to control them on that run, they were so bad, and that is when I put my flypaper-in-a-tube, in the tent.

Back
Top Bottom