Emmie's LSD Grow Log

(Flower, Day 24)

What a revelation that was! Last night I watered with molasses water again, and although my hearty plants would have easily gone 4 or even 5 days before wilt, I was able to give the room 5 gallons of water! Holy cow!!

So, every other day I am forcing way more water into the system than I have ever done before, and these smart pots are taking it! Not surprisingly to you old hands at this, a deep and luxurious green is coming over the garden now... exactly that green that I was looking for and frustrated that I could not produce. Eureka!

Check out the color on my Royal Queen:
better_color.JPG

So overall, health is returning to the room and I am very relieved to see that color is returning to a lot of the leaves, finally. I have learned an important lesson about watering, and will need to put a flowering addendum in my watering thread explaining what I have just learned. This is very good... we have made a huge leap in our knowledge level here, and I am glad that this has been documented for others to learn from.

Spot on!
We build roots in Veg and use them in flower. - ShiggityFlip

Tomorrow is the 10 day mark for the vitamin foliar spray, so I will get that in this evening about two hours before lights on. Overall, even though I complain a lot about the color of the leaves, the buds have not suffered, from what I can tell. As weeds do, everything is given in order to keep the new growth going, and even though things were far from perfect, I have never seen bud development like I am seeing on this run. At day 24 I have buds that in past years I would have been thrilled about at 5 weeks. I will flat out state at this point that running the two big lights for 1/3 of the time, really makes a difference. This is an extremely thirsty and hungry grow, and the light and airflow have to be the catalyst that makes this happen.

Here are some of our LSD buds:
lsd311.JPG

lsd312.JPG

lsd311.JPG

And then, while I have you here anyway... please let me show off what my Green Crack and my AK47 are doing:

First, Green Crack
gc311.JPG

gc312.JPG

Lastly, our proud and very fast growing AK47, who's harvest window opens up in exactly 4 weeks:
ak3110.JPG

Wow there you go!! You're like a dove as I watch you fly off into the distance. :lot-o-toke:

What a special feeling it is to have your shit together! And your garden looks spectacular! :bravo:

I learned from early on that these smart pots are creatures in and of themselves. I will NEVER use a plastic pot at any stage of my garden. They hinder far more than they help.

I've got my eye on you Em, you're teaching me things with every post! :high-five:

Great update, good to see color return so soon. I had a question that I took off line and sent you a PM.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

Those thick pistils are beautiful and here comes the sugar! Lovely they are. So much vigor!! Perhaps showing a hint of the mag def from the slight upturned serrations but mine are just like that too and as long as it doesn't go further I just use The wa10x foliar from DocBud which has some magnesium nitrate and many other micros.
Ha, that was my PM. I had some other thoughts but great info. I started using sugar daddy for its Mg as well during flower.

Cheers

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420

and based on these conversations it is agreed that the bit of canoeing we are still seeing relates to a slight deficiency of magnesium. I will get right on that with my foliar feed this evening, as well as by adding organic calmag with each watering. I have a good bit of dolomite lime and epsom salt in my soil build, but as we all know, these plants are magnesium hungry. Regarding what you said Pigeon, it is a really good feeling to know that things are finally starting to get dialed in. :)

a slight, read 'slight' mg deficiency is good for frosty development in HB soil..Ive learned from Doc
Thank you for that... and as I reflect on this I realize that it is also important to start backing down on the magnesium starting about week 6, for that and taste reasons. I am not going to go real crazy trying to chase after this, especially looking at my early frost development. I do believe that hitting the plants every 10 days with a mixture of vitamins, minerals and other good stuff, along with a bit of calmag, every 10 days as Doc suggests to increase the Brix level, has to be a good thing though... and lets watch what happens after tonight after my foliar spray and see if it affects this effect that we are seeing.

It also occurs to me that what we might be seeing, and noting as a clue the amazing water use we are seeing right now, is canoeing from another cause... happening because the plants are in maximum transpiration and the fluid pressures in the plant are at their highest. This expression of the leaves can indicate, and shows the ability of, the plants to increase the leaf surface area in order to evaporate water at the highest rate possible, and I believe I have seen this happen in some plants simply because there was a good breeze to make evaporation possible, and oftentimes when someone overwaters. I also note that these pictures were taken at least an hour into that nights watering session and wonder now if this started happening with the watering. Closer observation will reveal the answers to these questions and we will learn from what we find.

I will check carefully tonight all through the tent and see if I can see any browning at the leaf margins and on the tips of those end spikes... if there is, I am sure it is magnesium deficiency caused. If however, the edges are still green... now that is a horse of a different colour.

Hey just catching up.

I ride motorcycles. They say hen you aren't scared anymore you should stop. Well in growing if you are not making mistakes you are not having any fun. Sometimes just switching a strain is an all out adventure.

Anywhoo....yes watering changes in Bloom. Mostly because everything changes. In fact I have found pretty much nothing is static through the grow. For a good bloom you want lower temps and dry air. That alone makes a difference.

I find it has more to do with root ball size and until it stops growing the plant just keeps transpiring more. But once you are after a certain point in bloom the rot ball stops growing at which point you are good to go.

BUUUUUUT

As much as shig is right we can still get improved growth by letting it get a little "dry". It will aid in resin production and more. But not dry, not stressing them.

Hey just catching up.

I ride motorcycles. They say hen you aren't scared anymore you should stop. Well in growing if you are not making mistakes you are not having any fun. Sometimes just switching a strain is an all out adventure.

Anywhoo....yes watering changes in Bloom. Mostly because everything changes. In fact I have found pretty much nothing is static through the grow. For a good bloom you want lower temps and dry air. That alone makes a difference.

I find it has more to do with root ball size and until it stops growing the plant just keeps transpiring more. But once you are after a certain point in bloom the rot ball stops growing at which point you are good to go.

BUUUUUUT

As much as shig is right we can still get improved growth by letting it get a little "dry". It will aid in resin production and more. But not dry, not stressing them.

Agreed VI, in the last two weeks I let them go a bit drier and after they get their very last watering I let the pot go fully dry right before harvest for a little trichome boost.

I will do the opposite. I will dry them out like you said but a few hours before the dark period I will give a good watering heavy on sugars to hopefully set up for a good cure. The more sugar you get up there the better off those bacteria will do ...but the longer the cure should go.

Well Emilya I'm double routing for that LSD of yours now. I had to finally chop mine due to having what could possibly have been bud rot, loads of dried up dead leaves and straggle buds but no sign of mould or spores as such. Either way it wasn't a chance that I was prepared to take and she was close (ish) to being ready, still very sticky and smells great. I have a picture uploaded to my gallery and am wondering if you could take the time to have a look and confirm or deny my fears please? I also kept a few healthy looking buds but binned anything that had even a sign of yellow near the stem. Oh well at least she is out of her misery now, and her buds that I kept do look pretty good in comparison to what I usually pull off :)

I hope that you are well and I'm routing for your LSD giving out some juicy buds :thumb:

Well Emilya I'm double routing for that LSD of yours now. I had to finally chop mine due to having what could possibly have been bud rot, loads of dried up dead leaves and straggle buds but no sign of mould or spores as such. Either way it wasn't a chance that I was prepared to take and she was close (ish) to being ready, still very sticky and smells great. I have a picture uploaded to my gallery and am wondering if you could take the time to have a look and confirm or deny my fears please? I also kept a few healthy looking buds but binned anything that had even a sign of yellow near the stem. Oh well at least she is out of her misery now, and her buds that I kept do look pretty good in comparison to what I usually pull off :)

I hope that you are well and I'm routing for your LSD giving out some juicy buds :thumb:
Sorry to hear about your troubles Kriaze... I sure hope that I don't see something like that. I did look at your picture and it does look like bud rot to me too... did you notice a lot of gnats buzzing around? The only time I had bud rot, I had forgotten to turn a fan back on during a very humid time here... and I started noticing big fungus gnats all over the grow area downstairs and in my radio room.

Kriaze, I took these this morning just for you. It is a shame that yours turned on you, she looks like she is starting to get very tastey.

DSCF54652.JPG
DSCF54642.JPG

Also, let's all look at this raising of the leaf edges... almost canoeing. First, I can not detect any brown at all associated with this, and it didnt seem to be anything to do with water. The same effect was noted last night before watering, and after watering I noticed no difference. I will keep watching for problems, but at the moment I just think the plants are transpiring that hard... the room is going through 20-25 gallons of water a week now.

Hey Emilya in fact I have noticed a few gnats (or midges as we call them here) around lately. I thought it was because of the new worm farm I recently purchased. I was still struggling with temps so would open the window at night, even though it was on the back of my mind that I was letting in cold damp air. I received my new lights today, they're pretty new to the industry and CoFinest is the only other grower that I have seen using them so far, hopefully these should put paid to any temperature issues for good and I will be able to grow in an enclosed environment again.

Thank you for the confirmation as it was a shame to see all that plant matter and bud going to waste as I did the chopping yesterday. Question though, there was a lot of bud that looked untouched by bud rot (in fact it was only the one branch that had it and that branch had been snapped and repaired previously) but because I wanted to take no chances I bagged it all up ready for the bin. If I was to freeze this then put it through some hash bags would you consider it safe to smoke or is it not worth the risk?

Great beautiful picture too Emilya, I love it and I'm sending some good grow karma over :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom