Emmie's Perpetual Vegetative Grow Rooms - 2020-2021

Speaking of casualties, we have had one. :rip:

Dinafem Cheese has withered, never quite being able to deploy its first leaves.
DSCF8188.JPG

Gummy Bear is looking strong,
DSCF8189.JPG

Strawberry Cough had problems getting rid of its husk, but that has been taken care of.
DSCF8191.JPG

We have another strong one that burst forth since the last check, LSD has joined the party.
DSCF8190.JPG

No more additions to report during their day today... I expect their 4 hour dark period will bear fruit and tonight I have the timer set correctly so that will happen. Strawberry Cough was still struggling to get the last of that film off that was holding the leaves together, but her color had deepened despite this. I tugged on the embryonic sack until it broke off of there and the leaves sprung out to gather in some light... she is going to be just fine.

All the plants above the surface (except our Cheese) look strong and have good color and thick leaves. Already this beginning is better than some that I have seen. Patience will reward us with many more, I am sure. We will check on the progress in the morning.

No more additions to report during their day today... I expect their 4 hour dark period will bear fruit and tonight I have the timer set correctly so that will happen. Strawberry Cough was still struggling to get the last of that film off that was holding the leaves together, but her color had deepened despite this. I tugged on the embryonic sack until it broke off of there and the leaves sprung out to gather in some light... she is going to be just fine.

All the plants above the surface (except our Cheese) look strong and have good color and thick leaves. Already this beginning is better than some that I have seen. Patience will reward us with many more, I am sure. We will check on the progress in the morning.
What’s the purpose of the 4hr dark period? Is it a break from a 24hr schedule?

What’s the purpose of the 4hr dark period? Is it a break from a 24hr schedule?
I have noticed over the years that a lot of rapid growth, like stretching or popping up out of the ground, happens at night. It just seems to me that the plants need a little bit of time to do other things than full time processing photons into sugars, and I believe that it is root growth especially that seems to happen during these "down" times. 20/4 is a good compromise between the awesome amount of light the plants get to process in a near 24/0 situation, but still giving them enough dark time to do whatever other things need to be done.

This morning found one of our super cheese wiggling its way to the surface and I should be able to get pictures of it this evening.

DSCF8195.JPG

LSD is having a problem and I gave her a little water and propped her up so that maybe she can recover today.
DSCF8194.JPG

No other changes to note... these old seeds are showing how temperamental they can be.
DSCF8197.JPG
DSCF8196.JPG

:woohoo: I love a good cheese plant. Your off to a great start so much going on at once.
Actually, no... I am not. I am looking at a near total disaster here... with yet another morning showing no new seedlings hitting the surface. 22 into the soil... 3 have made it. I have seen very strong roots at the paper towel stage, go down into a hole and never come out... way too many times for there not to be a reason. Not all of these seeds were old either... and two that have come up are actually some of the oldest.

The reason has to be the soil, since this is the stage where everything has stopped. So, I have to conclude that although my soil might be out of balance and a mixture of the original supersoil and base soil and everything inbetween, after composting down all the organic matter from the last grow, it still must be a very strong soil... too strong it seems.

Once again I have been proven wrong in my assumptions, again proving that I am no better at this than any of the rest of you. I have been saying for years that a rich soil like FFOF is just fine for starting plants in... I will no longer say such a silly thing. Right before my eyes I saw two plants burn right up, our first cheese and our LSD. Granted, my soil is a bit stronger than FFOF, but still, why risk any fatalities when you don't have to? I am going back to using a light soil in my starting cups from now on and I am going to take some time to double check all of my assumptions.

So, we will wait a few more days for any more to surface, but except for some exceptionally strong ones, we are not going to come anywhere close to the legal or the practical limit for this run with this planting. More seeds will need to be planted, including some recent acquisitions, and this time we will see about limiting the casualties at the soil stage. I am going to buy some new base soil, reassess how much supersoil I actually have, and will get a starting soil so as to be a bit gentler on my seedlings.

Live and learn as they say... each day we hope to get a little bit smarter.

Actually, no... I am not. I am looking at a near total disaster here... with yet another morning showing no new seedlings hitting the surface. 22 into the soil... 3 have made it. I have seen very strong roots at the paper towel stage, go down into a hole and never come out... way too many times for there not to be a reason. Not all of these seeds were old either... and two that have come up are actually some of the oldest.

The reason has to be the soil, since this is the stage where everything has stopped. So, I have to conclude that although my soil might be out of balance and a mixture of the original supersoil and base soil and everything inbetween, after composting down all the organic matter from the last grow, it still must be a very strong soil... too strong it seems.

Once again I have been proven wrong in my assumptions, again proving that I am no better at this than any of the rest of you. I have been saying for years that a rich soil like FFOF is just fine for starting plants in... I will no longer say such a silly thing. Right before my eyes I saw two plants burn right up, our first cheese and our LSD. Granted, my soil is a bit stronger than FFOF, but still, why risk any fatalities when you don't have to? I am going back to using a light soil in my starting cups from now on and I am going to take some time to double check all of my assumptions.

So, we will wait a few more days for any more to surface, but except for some exceptionally strong ones, we are not going to come anywhere close to the legal or the practical limit for this run with this planting. More seeds will need to be planted, including some recent acquisitions, and this time we will see about limiting the casualties at the soil stage. I am going to buy some new base soil, reassess how much supersoil I actually have, and will get a starting soil so as to be a bit gentler on my seedlings.

Live and learn as they say... each day we hope to get a little bit smarter.
I can’t believe I’m actually going to disagree with you lol. You were correct the 1st time. My 1st grow I germinated 6 -8 bag seeds. They all made it to the surface and survived. All in straight up ffof because I knew and heard nothing. Kept 2 gave 3 away and killed a couple though ignorance. It was my 1st journal. This last time I used Roots original with no issues...so I’d say your soil is far to hot.

my very first grow I tried was White Widow auto Flowers, I used FFOF and just dropped the beans in and watered, I had pretty much every one of them pop up and burn up but one which I overwatered till it died basically, I definitely think some soil isn't created equally, now fast forwarding to this grow im running FFOF and just had two seeds pop out of the soil and are running beautifully, so im not sure if its some parts of the soils more nutrient rich than others or luck of the draw.
But I definitely think you can burn plants with it, and it leads to the question of are some genetics just more resilient than others, even from birth?

my very first grow I tried was White Widow auto Flowers, I used FFOF and just dropped the beans in and watered, I had pretty much every one of them pop up and burn up but one which I overwatered till it died basically, I definitely think some soil isn't created equally, now fast forwarding to this grow im running FFOF and just had two seeds pop out of the soil and are running beautifully, so im not sure if its some parts of the soils more nutrient rich than others or luck of the draw.
But I definitely think you can burn plants with it, and it leads to the question of are some genetics just more resilient than others, even from birth?
Yes, not just genetics, but also the age and strength of the seeds. I cant help but notice that everything was fine as long as i was careful with the pH and not stressing the plants... and then that soil.

But even so, I was surprised on my evening trip up the stairs to water and found a newcomer to the party... NYC Diesel has decided to join us, and looks strong as she popped up without helmet or film or any other encumbrance... she seems ready to go.

Tonight we took some time to measure out and draw the plans for the grow rooms... and I am incorporating the idea to break the veg room into two separate rooms. I am figuring we can frame this in and build some plywood doors for $300 or so. We are going to find out this weekend when the boys join us to help. Pictures of the progress of course will be shared. We are going to have a 6x12 bloom room and 2 6x6 veg rooms, with separate entrances for each area... along with one alcove to do cloning and whatnot in and one alcove to sit in just to relax.

I am planning on getting my confidence back up by starting up 6 or 7 of my White Widow seeds, and then once seeing a decent success rate using my new soil, I will be planting some Kosher Daddy's to get my numbers back up.

Here is NYC Diesel saying hi!
DSCF8218.JPG

Wow, you're going to have some really nice space for your plants, I'm glad you've discovered another survivor! My seeds I tossed into soil and just started watering before the tap root popped took nearly a week to pop above ground it was actually sketchy lol was thinking I lost all 4, so sometimes a little extra Patience helps!

Whats the plant limit where you're at? it seems really high which is freaking awesome.
6x6 veg rooms are crazy great sizes I can't wait to see your yields off that big ole room! I was thinking of doing 4x4 or 4x8 for the shed grow, and setting up one veg area so I can clear off my poor kitchen table that's been turned into a sad excuse for a cloning/vegging station. I've got to do measurements and decide if I want to take down a wall in the shed to open it up and build out the room how I want too, once it cools down of course. right now they'd all be burnt crispy from the heat if I tossed em out there haha, I need to do the same as you and decide on a good layout for everything.

Thinking of grabbing 2x TSL2000s if I do 4x4. Would be like 600 true Watts, and would cover the suggested 35W per square foot, i'm very excited to jump into a larger area now that I know I can fill out the small areas wall to wall with some quality herb
Excited to keep seeing your progress, keep us posted! :snowboating:

so sometimes a little extra Patience helps!

Whats the plant limit where you're at? it seems really high which is freaking awesome.
Definitely true about patience... who knows, we might have more in the morning... I remain ever hopeful for a few more.

The legal plant count here in Missouri is 6 mature and 6 immature plants. Then add to that total my ability to add 6 more plants vegging and blooming for up to 2 additional patients for whom I am the caregiver, for a total of 18 plants vegging and 18 plants blooming. So yes, it is crazy that suddenly I am able to legally grow more plants than I ever attempted in my "test" grows throughout the years... I really believed that this day would never come.

Wow 36 plants I'm in awe! That is literally a dream come true,
I'm very excited to see you getting everything up and operational I hope you have plenty of time on your hands! I know I struggle training and watering all my babies and complain about having to make up like 4 gallons of nutrients hahah! You'll have your hands full with these babies any plans on automated feeding or all by hand?

Back
Top Bottom