Fanleaf Tries To Germ & Grow A Stash Of 42 Year Old Acapulco Gold Seeds!

Fanleaf:

Sorry it does not seem to be working out. I don't recall ever reading a thread written by anyone qualified to do the work you need in any of the cannabis forums; that is not to say that they may not be here I just have never seen anyone with the proper credentials posting them.

That said:
I think there are two places to turn to for help. 1. One of the older well established seed breeders. They may have the proper resources to coax an embryo into life; If you look here see your lawyer first about retaining some rights. 2. University horticultural professors with modern labs. These people are intrigued by the challenge. One again get it in writing.

There could be gold locked up in those Acapulco seeds. I know I would buy some!

For the sake of all us old hippies - Good Luck.

Nice one Fanleaf! Hope you find the right person...such an awesome saga...hope to see it continue!
Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

If there are any takers will they start a new journal or continue here ? I don't want to miss out on any potential legendary sprouting old school genetics.

I have experience with germinating old seeds. Not cannabis, but in general.

From my experience, with the age of the seeds being quite old, it's necessary to create a few different environments to see if you can find a successful way to germinate.

Usually, I will soak scuff the seeds slightly, place in destilled water for 12hrs. I them put the seeds in wet paper towel folded over. Seems normal until ...

1. Use humidifier/dehumidifier to get your RH around 20-25%
2. Use heating pad on timer under plates to keep temperatuure alternating every 12hrs. You want one Temp to be 20°C, and the alternating to be 25°C.
3. Check every day for germination and keep towels damp and warm.

There are times when it has taken 12-20 days before I saw any type of movement. But it happens. I would not touch the seed until it has a tap root of half an inch. Leave it in the towel to grow out a little further before planting.

I would also NOT use a grow cube for this type of thing, I would plant the seed in something a little looser, Vermiculite.

I'd be happy to try a few seeds, of there any any left, and happy to send some your way should I be successful.

DemeterCeres' CFL DWC Grow

Also, it's worth noting that it may be beneficial to whoever gets the seeds to take months to prepare them. In other words, maybe see if you can get the MC of the seed to increase before you try to germinate them. This could improve success rates.

DemeterCeres' CFL DWC Grow

I'm not sure what the MC is, but you sound like you know what you're talking about.

I know Im probably odd man out here when I say that I prefer a more subtle high. I dont indulge often enough to have any tolerance what so ever, and some of todays players just knock me on my ass :p
Hello my friend. Odd one? Me! That's me. But then again.. what is considered 'normal'?? I break the rules. I'm 60. I don't care. Be yourself! I'm just a crazy gardener.. and love it!
420-magazine-mobile669234256.jpg

Growing from seed 11 daylight 13 night... Let's see what happens! So far so good! This is week 2 on this Grow....

Sent from my LG-H740 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

And I really want this 42 year old stash of AG seeds to grow! I'm with you on this one OP...

So heres a rundown of theese seeds guys. This was a question and answer in another thread about them.
[quote name=&quot;elchischas&quot; post=3057108]Hi fanleaf<br />
Sounds pretty awesome that you have the opportunity to back to life that awesome strain<br />
Can you tell us how you get this old tube full of seeds? Sounds like a awesome story to know... and if you get sucess with the germ ratio are you thinking make pure seeds or just fem?<br />
Vibes
<br />
You betcha.<br />
So, I had an immediate family member that was involved pretty heavy into that strain and I won't go into too much detail on that. This person cleaned, sorted and that kind of work. He did that for several years way back in the day. As of a few years ago this person is no longer with us.<br />
<br />
So as things were just recently gone through the seeds were found in a box that has been stored for many many years. In the box was an old empty shotgun shell hull and the tube was in it. With the misc papers and contents of the box taken into account as well as how long roughly it has been since any of these boxes were touched we came up with 1973. 1973 is smack in the middle of his &quot;work&quot; with that strain. I am 100% sure this is AG from 73. <br />
<br />
I will be doing a journal for sure. Also, who knows what will germinate and I will be doing these 1-2 seeds at a time. So if a male comes up I will be collecting pollen. If a female comes up first then I will be making feminized seeds. If I get another female I will pollinate her with the male pollen collected.<br />
<br />
My first priority will be to get that first female. From there we will be golden.

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App[/QUOTE]

Hi fanleaf I've just found you but I'll be here from now.

Ok guys. I have been trying to remain quiet in the hopes then I could bust in here eventually with some awesome news. I have been working at these everyday for a month and a half now and nothing has changed. I can get some seeds to crack open and show the start of a Taproot and so far they have all stopped there.
420-magazine-mobile977521711.jpg
. I dont know what to do guys... I have 10-15 seeds left. I am honestly at the point that instead of being selfish and burning up all these seeds I'm willing to give the rest to someone with experience and know-how to give them the best opportunity to get a sprout or two. I think with the remaining seeds I'm going to look for someone with experience, someone who will take the time and go through whatever steps they feel need to be done. The only thing I would ask of that person is that if they are successful I get a handful (50-100) seeds from the first batch. I would also only hand them off to someone who will Journal it here.
I'm just at the point with them that I don't trust myself and I know there are others out there with a little more experience in these situations. If it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out but at least I know I will have tried. Again I stress..... I'm looking for someone from here that can show some experience and success with similar situations.
So for everyone reading this, if you are on your first or second or third or fifth or 10th grow please don't bother me it would be a waste of time. I'm looking for someone that's been doing this a long time and has had experience with old seeds. I would really like it if someone that ends up with the rest of them would take over this thread and we will change the name in the title. I am sorry guys, I tried and for a while there after seeing three or four taproot's I thought we had it. I will be watching my pm's. If several people end up seeming to fit the bill please don't be discouraged or take offense if you're not the one chosen because I have to pick somebody.

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App
Hey homie don't give up! I would LOVE to give just 3 of your beans a shot. I'm no pro but I love all my babies and they respond to me. Anything I grow would go back to you.. because you shared. PM me if interested. We could trade beans. I have some newer stuff. I'm willing to trade new for old.

Hello my friend. Odd one? Me! That's me. But then again.. what is considered 'normal'?? I break the rules. I'm 60. I don't care. Be yourself! I'm just a crazy gardener.. and love it!
420-magazine-mobile669234256.jpg

Growing from seed 11 daylight 13 night... Let's see what happens! So far so good! This is week 2 on this Grow....

Whats 11 &13?

anything that occurs in nature cannot be unnatural!
The Birth & Evolution Of A Dragon

Unknown Strain From Seed - First Time Grow

I'm on board, really looking forward to this journal, it'll be my first from seed to finish. Good luck

I'm in week 4 and have one male and 3 females so far.. This is all an experiment grow...

I plant the seeds of today coz I believe in the harvest of tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom