FelipeBlu’s Outdoor Hempy Photos & Autos 2020

It stands for “screen of green” :)
it’s the growing method you see where people have a horizontal screen in their grow tent or grow room, above the pot, and as the plant grows they bend and weave it through the screen to fill up the screen before flowering. It’s a way of maximising space/light.

Felipe here is planning to use that bending and weaving technique but vertically not horizontally.

Hence, a vertical SCROG

EDIT: hey hash girl. This guide from nebula haze covers lots of different training techniques, including SCROG. If you’re feeling newbie-ish about this stuff and the terminology it’s a very good resource. She decribes a few different methods (I’m not suggesting you should be doing them right now or anything, it’s just to read about etc. )
:thumb:

Great photo, Sauga! Looks exactly like the two in our backyard.
It is a great photo and one that was borrowed from the internet. I plan on giving it back shortly but for now it's here to protect Felipe. Seems all chipmunks look the same as they are identical to the 'healthy' ones floating around our house too!

Exactly right - thanks Amy! :thanks::hug:

Well, from one end of the size scale to the other..

Ka3’s time has come. She’s all that she’s going to be. The trichs are mostly cloudy (at least 75-80%) - just the way I like em.

She’s been drying out for 4 days - as I could see she just wasn’t drinking much anymore. She’s in the garage today - this evening, I’ll put her into dark until tomorrow evening.

Ka3 - born May 7 (65 days), started flowering June 8 (day 32). Spilled out of cup and roughly up-potted.
D6D8B1A0-2494-42E4-AD0F-62816D40ECB6.jpeg

One correction I should make to the above “SCROG” - it really isn’t my intent to weave the stems in and out of the mesh. That seems like too much work! o_O

Instead, I’ll be training stems to the outside of the cage, where they will then go vertical. I can then tie the vertical stems to the mesh to support them. I hope that’s clear to visualize.

Ohh Age...does your gardener know about your past outside grows? He might just check by around harvest time next year..

Now, repeat after me - I must not lose my temper and piss off other people - because I am a grower!

And it’s really easy for people to F with my outdoor grow.
:rip: :eek:

I was pretty cool with the guy, but he didn't like that I told him how to take care of my plants, which ones to prune, which ones to let grow. Don't mess with the plumeria... Problem is the people I hire. The dude I hired to replace the last one is a lazy POS too. He was here once and didn't blow the leaves out of the rocks and was supposed to cap my sprinklers and one of them leaks. Dudes getting his check on Thursday. Guess I'll need to do my own yard for a while, seems like I'm the only one who knows what to do. It's yard work not rocket science.

Here’s another unlucky sod - male this time (last rat pic - I promise!)

Those males can get a real set a balls on em, eh...?

:morenutes:

I had a similar problem with the gardener in San Diego where we had our get together. He had run amok doing his thing his way while my mother was alive. After she died I started directing him and asking him to do things my way. He didn't last. I appreciate they are the professional. But we are still the customer and deserve what we are paying for.

It's a systemic problem across America. Driving Ride Share I would hear other drives say "it;s my car I make the rules." No the rider is the customer. Damn is it so difficult to understand?

Guess I'll need to do my own yard for a while, seems like I'm the only one who knows what to do. It's yard work not rocket science.
I've watched my neighbors' gardeners and have never been impressed with their work, which is why I still do all of my own yard maintenance. I would be a bad customer. I would never be satisfied with anyone else's work.
He didn't last. I appreciate they are the professional.
The definition of a professional is someone that gets paid for their services. That doesn't make them an expert. Anyone can buy a lawn mower and a leaf blower and call themselves a gardener.

My guy is a pal - he is much more than the typical “mow and blow”. We work together on the health of various plants, how to optimize the irrigation system, and other landscaping issues. He’s totally cool with the outdoor grow. When he does sometimes bring someone to help, he keeps them busy in the front yard while he does the back. In my mind, he is a professional.

One correction I should make to the above “SCROG” - it really isn’t my intent to weave the stems in and out of the mesh. That seems like too much work! o_O
I’ve seen people mention weaving, but do people really “weave” (like go over and under the trellis) or do they just call it weaving? I just push everything under. Seems like actually weaving it would be a major pita to harvest and have minimal benefits.

Outdoor hempies sure looks fun, hows the heat?

:passitleft:

Yeah, I see no benefit to weaving - especially on a vertical screen - you’ll be fighting negative geotropism the entire time. No, I just want to get the perimeter stems outside the mesh for easier harvesting.

The heat has been manageable - as long as you keep something in the reservoir. They will start wilting as soon as it’s dry, of course. So, it’s a lot of humping water. But, I’m not working in the field as much this year, and the gym is still closed, so it’s the only exercise I’m getting these days lol.

I’m thinking that, as much as I like hempy, I might try a ProMix/perlite -style DTW outdoors - it will dry slower, but probably still quickly enough in this heat to result in fast growth, which is one thing I like about hempy.

Hello Felipe, how are you today? :passitleft: I'm Vaping some of my White Widow and although it needs more time in the jar, it is some heady herbs. Your hempy grow is coming along nicely. Really very impressive growth there. I'm really thinking on trying it out in a greenhouse where I'm revegging a white widow and a purple punch. I think they would fare better in that environment. It's gonna be way over 100 today and a lot more where that came from until we get a little help from the desert monsoons. I have my scrogs going in my tent and greenhouses but I also started to experiment with supercropping in the greenhouses. Weaving would seem to make a lot more work out of the already labor intensive task of harvesting as well as disturbing the trichomes by all the untangling/extra cutting that must be a by-product of weaving. I hope you and your loved ones are happy and healthy. Stay safe and stay stoned.

I’m thinking that, as much as I like hempy, I might try a ProMix/perlite -style DTW outdoors - it will dry slower, but probably still quickly enough in this heat to result in fast growth, which is one thing I like about hempy.
That’s pretty much what I got going now, indoors though. I’ve got about 30% perlite and I add earth worm casings (only cause I’ve got a big bag of it). It works very well with MegaCrop. Cloth pots are a lot harder to move around than hempy buckets but I’ve been doing the scroog so they never move anyways. For me the biggest benefit is the reusability. I accumulated way too much perlite doing hempy, now with this mix I just break up the root balls and reuse the soil right away with minimal waste (I’m sure eventually I’ll have to toss it out and get more). Buds seem denser and heavier too.

:passitleft:

Last year, I ran one in a 5 gallon hempy bucket and one in a 10 gallon fabric pot. The seeds were siblings, but different phenos - not a good side-by-side - but what the heck. In that case, the buds from both were very similar in size, weight, density, amount of fragrance and taste, and potency. So I don’t know.

You, Shed, many others seem to easily grow great plants with ProMix/perlite. I have to say that my perlite hempies have been very bug-free, even being outdoors. I will try some ProMix next year.

Meanwhile, today’s update

I put up support around BeBo2 last evening

70E7426D-C31A-4D2A-8681-ACAEFB77083D.jpeg

Today
625CB67E-9E9D-4F31-B013-2FD680C526D7.jpeg

Here’s Ka2, who is happily stacking away
0AA5D30B-7BE7-4474-81FD-55EF5C1C7BDA.jpeg

And BeBo2a, who is getting some secondary stems long enough to start training

8751997E-F370-48AD-83E8-31BF67EFDCE7.jpeg

Hello Felipe, how are you today? :passitleft: I'm Vaping some of my White Widow and although it needs more time in the jar, it is some heady herbs. Your hempy grow is coming along nicely. Really very impressive growth there. I'm really thinking on trying it out in a greenhouse where I'm revegging a white widow and a purple punch. I think they would fare better in that environment. It's gonna be way over 100 today and a lot more where that came from until we get a little help from the desert monsoons. I have my scrogs going in my tent and greenhouses but I also started to experiment with supercropping in the greenhouses. Weaving would seem to make a lot more work out of the already labor intensive task of harvesting as well as disturbing the trichomes by all the untangling/extra cutting that must be a by-product of weaving. I hope you and your loved ones are happy and healthy. Stay safe and stay stoned.

¡Hola Fred - thanks for stopping by my garden today! White Widow sounds nice! :passitleft:
My brother has just started three (Auto?) WW seeds, and I am eager to try the strain.

As you can probably tell, I love hempy. They do run through the solution outdoors during the summer, especially during the heat waves. For example, it’s been over 100F here the last couple of days, and the 5 gallon hempies are taking a gallon twice a day. But they grow fast, seem to have fewer pests than soil, and it’s easy to correct mistakes (like overdosing or other acts of confusion). :smokin:

You echo my thoughts re weaving. No, I want those perimeter stems secured to the outside of the cage so that I can harvest them first, and then open the cage to harvest the center.

Thanks for the wishes - same back to ya! :green_heart:

Back
Top Bottom