First Berry White Closet Grow

In doing research, I'm wondering if I should change the metal halide bulb to a high pressure sodium bulb when I'm ready to flower... anyone have an opinion on this?
This would mean I definitely need to buy another light fixture. I found some decently priced hid packages. I have 2 months to figure it all out.

Yep. Lots of 6500k blue spectrum for everything up until flower then you'll want more around the 2700k red spectrum for flowering.
There's a lot of options here. Today's digital HID is pretty cool compared to the old analog style. They are adjustable for wattage and switchable from HPS to MH. They range around $100-$200 but remember you'll need bulbs every few crops and it will be a toll on the power bill. Heat. Lots of heat.
You could also go LED. They have gotten far less expensive and you can do veg and flower under one light. They use far less power. Rarely need a bulb if ever. Mars Hydro offers several budget versions. The first version is the least expensive and typically Mars sells them on Ebay starting around $80. The Mars Reflector is really nice because you can actually switch from red to blue or run both at once.

I use a mix of HID and LED. Each has it's pro's and cons but because you already have some HID I'd take a good look at LED :)

Awesome! Thanks gypsy! I was definitely thinking to supplement with LED since it seems like a more economical choice all around.

420-magazine-mobile2069981869.jpg

Claudette is crazy bushy! Can't see the full glory in the hps light, but I know it!

The twins looked a little heat-bothered with their leaves cupping a little so I lifted the light several inches. The cabinet i put in there is taller than id like it. Hope it helps. I'll definitely be checking on them in a couple hours. Boy, do I love this new hobby!

Even though her growth is coming along, Glodean's leaves were cupping badly so I put her under the LED for the day & hopes this fixes her up.
I rearranged the room a little & gave Claudette a proper cabinet to sit on so I adjusted the light higher again so as to not give anyone else heat stroke.

She's definitely got the Blueberry thick foliage trait. :) Peering into my electroball I predict much thinning in your future. :laughtwo:

Once you get some more blue in the spectrum you'll also want to think a Cal-Mag supplement. Especially with LED. Right now they aren't generating a lot of photosynthesis due to the spectrum. So it's not a big deal immediately. Get ready for them to take off on you when you get more blue light. Even if it's just the little cheapo clip on hoods that go for about $6-8 each and some of the 23w (100w eq) 6500k daylight spectrum CFL's. The spiral kind. Walworld or any box store. Trust me you'll want a fleet of those things lol. Extremely versatile. 6500k spectrum will really help with your future cloning and seedlings. Veg is a little more forgiving spectrum wise but I suspect we may see a little preflower from the older ones soon without it. They can go in and out of preflower so no panic, but it will slow things down.

:hmmmm: If you started now you could make your own Cal-Mag sup and it would be ready about the time you'll need it. It's cheap and easy. Em' has a thread on it somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Here's some examples of clip on CFL versatility. I like them for seedlings because you can get within an inch or two and not burn them. Closer typically keeps them shorter and thicker.. typically lol.

You can just clip them and go.
Khione2.jpg

Nothing to clip to? No problem. Hardware cloth is super cool too :)
Khione_.jpg

Veg and LST
Bridget_01122016.JPG

Switch the bulbs to the Warm 2700k spectrum and you have flowering boosters for the place your big light has trouble penetrating.

There's also the world of LED standard bulbs but I have yet to find a 6500k. What they call Daylight is 5000k which works but I think optimum photosynthesis is right around 6000k.

Man, only a grower can ramble about cheap lights like that and I could keep going :rofl:

:passitleft:

Haha~ hi gypsy! Yes, I'm already gathering eggshells for that recipe! We have fresh country eggs so I have some pretty colors going on!
Do you know anything about nutrients made from banana peels?
Thank you for all your help! I always look forward to your advice!

Also, I have a lamp that holds 3 bulbs ... should I go ahead & load that up with cfls & point her toward the girls? Or wait til flower to add more blues? Your thoughts are so appreciated... and thanks for your photos.

Haha~ hi gypsy! Yes, I'm already gathering eggshells for that recipe! We have fresh country eggs so I have some pretty colors going on!
Do you know anything about nutrients made from banana peels?
Thank you for all your help! I always look forward to your advice!

I make all my own organic supplements using fermentation. No buckets or bubblers. Just some quart jars in a cupboard. Whole bananas are one of the flowering components. :) They are also useful for other things like ethylene curing and male seed sex reversal but I've never tried either. Usually for me a male has more breeding value, but I do intend to try the seed thing for grins eventually.

If you have chickens that's even better! Chicken compost contains some of the highest BRIX levels and is almost unbeatable when it's cooled enough. You can also ferment it for a liquid version. Reminds me.. I have a coop to clean ugh.

If you have access to salt water then your rot your own supplement life will be complete. :surf:

:passitleft:

That's super cool. Unfortunately the chickens belong to my boyfriend's parents so it would be a little weird asking for chicken poo...
I'm definitely researching all the homemade nutrients. I love this site!

So after FIVE stores, I finally found the proper cfl lights & set up my lamp to give the girls some blues!
420-magazine-mobile739357959.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1280458456.jpg
Glodean's leaves have relaxed a bit, but she is still cupping a bit. I have her furthest away from the hps light with a new cfl pointed right at her.
420-magazine-mobile1681985506.jpg
I know i posted one yesterday, but you can see Claudette's crazy bush better here.

I'm wondering if I need to go ahead & trim back the bigger leaves to expose the smaller ones...?
I'm going to make the calmag supplement today & cross my fingers I won't need it until it's done.

420-magazine-mobile390407590.jpg

Meet Jean Gray~ my 10 day(ish) old mutant. I expect her to flourish into the Phoenix in flower!
420-magazine-mobile1491914595.jpg

...and her sister Jubilee. Can't have just one X Men on board!

Hi vespertine, I'm guessing we will be comparing notes throughout our berry grows!
I've been following your journal for a bit now. As you no doubt know, I use LED exclusively. For seedlings I just use the veg spectrum, but after a couple weeks of veg, I go full spectrum for the rest of the veg and the flower.
I noticed that it was mentioned that you can get the Mars lights off eBay, but Mars is a sponsor for this forum, and they have their own sponsored thread and it's best to order directly from their website. Mars has come a long way in the last couple years.
:thumb:

Yep. Definitely use Mars direct for anything more than a Mars 1 version. They are the ones selling the version 1 on Ebay and don't offer it on the site any more. I have to say I have been very happy with mine as well and I have a few versions. The support through this site is good and they usually give a discount for being here so do research. :geek:

As for pruning or trimming I'd wait a bit. If you look close at the pic I posted in the blue tub you'll see she's bound with pipe cleaners to do exactly what you want. You can do that for a few days to a week and get those new lights right in there to build up the inner branches.

aaaand yes there is a fine art when it comes to asking for poo :rofl: Mycology is another hobby of mine so I can truthfully say been there done that.

Jean Gray I love it!!! :laughtwo: So if I were to say.. "You rise when the king appears". You might know what I'm talking about. I'm thinking of naming my next one Lenny :hmmmm:

Yep. Definitely use Mars direct for anything more than a Mars 1 version. They are the ones selling the version 1 on Ebay and don't offer it on the site any more. I have to say I have been very happy with mine as well and I have a few versions. The support through this site is good and they usually give a discount for being here so do research. :geek:

As for pruning or trimming I'd wait a bit. If you look close at the pic I posted in the blue tub you'll see she's bound with pipe cleaners to do exactly what you want. You can do that for a few days to a week and get those new lights right in there to build up the inner branches.

aaaand yes there is a fine art when it comes to asking for poo :rofl: Mycology is another hobby of mine so I can truthfully say been there done that.

Jean Gray I love it!!! :laughtwo: So if I were to say.. "You rise when the king appears". You might know what I'm talking about. I'm thinking of naming my next one Lenny :hmmmm:
Oh yes, Legion night is date night... I plan on re-watching it all while waiting for the next season! I love Lenny... she's great! I'm going to love that!

Hi vespertine, I'm guessing we will be comparing notes throughout our berry grows!
I've been following your journal for a bit now. As you no doubt know, I use LED exclusively. For seedlings I just use the veg spectrum, but after a couple weeks of veg, I go full spectrum for the rest of the veg and the flower.
I noticed that it was mentioned that you can get the Mars lights off eBay, but Mars is a sponsor for this forum, and they have their own sponsored thread and it's best to order directly from their website. Mars has come a long way in the last couple years.
:thumb:
I've been reading so much my brain is all googly & somehow I missed that *you* were the one you knew running a berry white! Lol.
I am definitely looking at the mars lights. I'm hoping to be able to get a tent with a mars light strictly for vegging with a hope of perpetual growing. I'll definitely do something a step up from their first series so direct I will go!
So exciting to see another berry white growing!

Gypsy~ is that the ponytailing? I saw a comment you had made and tried looking for info about it to no avail... actually, I probably got distracted & started reading another journal & forgot about it! Lol.

Back
Top Bottom