First Time Grow - Walk In Closet

Noob don't quote me on that one but that info came from a veteran beekeeper/scientist friend so i am inclined to believe him - he is a real insect enthusiast. Different mediums require different ways of watering - well from my experience anyway "not an expert" ; ) tried a few of them
100 % Perlite or Vermiculite dry out quickest
Perlite/Coco 50/50 next
Peat / Spagnum Moss
100 % Coco retains moisture for longer
Watering depends on your pot size - are yours 1 gallon atm Yeezus - the bigger the pot the less often
Put your "clean" finger in to soil and feel how far down it is dry for - about an inch of dryness and they are ready for a watering or do the weight test with a lift of the pot and get used to how heavy it is when watered or weigh it and write it down
That will give you an idea how often to water,
If your pots are @1 gallan do the finger test to an inch and next water try putting the pot in a bucket use 1 litre and wait to see it some runoff comes out - give it a few minutes - check bucket - if nothing add 250 ml lots till you get runoff - after runoff has finished dripping out you can do your PH etc measurements and also measure runoff and compare with amount of water used - 10 % - 20 % would be good - tip out runoff.Without the runoff checks its gonna make it impossible to really know what is going on. Watering too often is bad - most weed is pretty tough.What are you doing for air circulation - didnt see anything ? : )

Noob don't quote me on that one but that info came from a veteran beekeeper/scientist friend so i am inclined to believe him - he is a real insect enthusiast. Different mediums require different ways of watering - well from my experience anyway "not an expert" ; ) tried a few of them
100 % Perlite or Vermiculite dry out quickest
Perlite/Coco 50/50 next
Peat / Spagnum Moss
100 % Coco retains moisture for longer
Watering depends on your pot size - are yours 1 gallon atm Yeezus - the bigger the pot the less often
Put your "clean" finger in to soil and feel how far down it is dry for - about an inch of dryness and they are ready for a watering or do the weight test with a lift of the pot and get used to how heavy it is when watered or weigh it and write it down
That will give you an idea how often to water,
If your pots are @1 gallan do the finger test to an inch and next water try putting the pot in a bucket use 1 litre and wait to see it some runoff comes out - give it a few minutes - check bucket - if nothing add 250 ml lots till you get runoff - after runoff has finished dripping out you can do your PH etc measurements and also measure runoff and compare with amount of water used - 10 % - 20 % would be good - tip out runoff.Without the runoff checks its gonna make it impossible to really know what is going on. Watering too often is bad - most weed is pretty tough.What are you doing for air circulation - didnt see anything ? : )

Good point about the different mediums needing different amounts of watering.

Haven't got anything new for air circulAtion at the moment. Going to get a few things after work tonight though and that's on the list.

But get this everyone. Remember that house plant that is the origin to all this? Well I was looking at that this morning (which is still just sitting next to a window) and was astounded to see TWO more seedlings have popped up! So I guess my plant total has increase from 4 to 6. It's crazy to me that 6 of these babies have sprouted out of it. It just keeps on giving! Ill have the little ones in pots tonight and put some pictures up

If you check them everyday wait and water them once the leaves start to droop a tad and lift up the pot before you put water in it and that's about how light your pots should be before adding water again, then water them till a tad of run off comes through

Also you should move your lights as close as possible plants can grow right into the t5 without burning but clfs will burn it if they touch the leafs. Just put clf on closer to them on the side to top of plants and the t5 for your top lighting and move them closer together, less area between plants, less you have to worry about air circulation

Haven't got anything new for air circulAtion at the moment. Going to get a few things after work tonight though and that's on the list.

But get this everyone. Remember that house plant that is the origin to all this? Well I was looking at that this morning (which is still just sitting next to a window) and was astounded to see TWO more seedlings have popped up! So I guess my plant total has increase from 4 to 6. It's crazy to me that 6 of these babies have sprouted out of it. It just keeps on giving! Ill have the little ones in pots tonight and put some pictures up

How very cool, Yeezus. :thumb: :roorrip:

What is your total wattage ?
To test the best distance from CFL etc just do the back of your hand test - start at @ 2 - 3 inches away from top of plants - put your hand between light and plant, back of hand upwards - for 10 seconds or so - if its hot or uncomfortable for you its too close,
Air circulation is very important - i just have a cheap 10 inch fan set on low blowing across the top of canopy hung by wire and a 12 inch oscillating one at front on low towards top of pot medium to its base.Just set it up so your plants are doing a very gentle dance - strengthens em too.And deters insects like fungus gnat from landing and laying eggs.Dries out surface of medium also so gnats hopefully won't find it attractive.Keep your medium surface clear of old plant matter too. 6 is good amount to start with
That house plant you have, is there any sign of insects on it ?
: ).

My total wattage is 102 watts of CFL lights and 64 watts coming out of the t8s. Just got back from the store with some new supplies gonna make some adjustments now! Posting pictures shortly

So I got the new little ones in their pots and happily into there new homes.

Started the first 4 on 25% ionic grow today. Watered until there was runoff and tested the ph of the runoff which tested at 6 on all 4. I think the first plant is a different strain because it's growing differently then the others. More leaves than the others and the leaves only are split into three not five like the rest.

Got a little fan circulating the air and making the plants just barely quiver. It's also brought the temp of my room down from the mid eighths to the high seventies. I'm still thinking my humidity is low though it's only around 30% tops.

Really looking forward to seeing what these nutrients do and I plan on doubling my lights this weekend so that should help also.

Hola Yeez! interesting grow, i'm new here too and are just navigating through this forum thing^^ I too had issues with low humidity in my room, bought a cool mist humidifier and don't think i'll ever have that problem again.
I've heard ladybugs were good for your garden, they feed on many of those suckers that ruin your babies!
i tried putting some in my room but they all died..:(
I'm on my second grow, and one experience i took from my first; that was overthinking almost everything.

Remember that overwatering is not giving your plant too much water, but too often. If you're in doubt, it's much better to let your plant dry out a little and show signs of wanting water, than too let the roots sit in water for too long.

Keep us updated

Peace

Hello everyone just checking in. Highly successful weekend for my little operation! Was able to successfully double my lights so now I have 2 4ft 2 bulb T8 fixtures as well as 8 23w cfls.

It could just be me being optimistic but I feel like I've started to see more growth since starting them on the nutrients! Also appears as though my two seedlings have survived the transplant so that is good as well.

Main question I have right now for you guys is this. Plant #1 was by far the biggest when this began but now has been passed by #2 and #3 isn't far behind. Also I've noticed that plants 2-4 are all growing in a nice uniform way where as #1 is much much different. It's got random leaves and branches coming off unlike any of the others. So it's not that number one isn't growing as fast as #s 2-4, it's more just like its producing more leaves and secondary branches rather than shooting up. Could that be just because it's a different strain? Do any of these leaves possibly need trimmed out? Hopefully you can get an idea of what I'm seeing in these pictures. Any thoughts are appreciated guys thankyou in advance!
420-magazine-mobile634610120.jpg
420-magazine-mobile958249644.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1724160249.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1065129372.jpg
420-magazine-mobile134567468.jpg
420-magazine-mobile174460795.jpg

Main question I have right now for you guys is this. Plant #1 was by far the biggest when this began but now has been passed by #2 and #3 isn't far behind. Also I've noticed that plants 2-4 are all growing in a nice uniform way where as #1 is much much different. It's got random leaves and branches coming off unlike any of the others. So it's not that number one isn't growing as fast as #s 2-4, it's more just like its producing more leaves and secondary branches rather than shooting up. Could that be just because it's a different strain? Do any of these leaves possibly need trimmed out? Hopefully you can get an idea of what I'm seeing in these pictures. Any thoughts are appreciated guys thankyou in advance!

It all look like normal growth to me. The secondary shoots on plant #1 have simply caught up to the main stem and are competing for dominance. Not a bad thing to happen :)

Are you going to train these ones? This will determine whether and what leaves to trim or not..

KiG :green_heart:cheers

I'm not sure snidrajsed. What exactly is training? I feel like I've been reading all day long and gotten nowhere. I've seen terms like training, topping, pruning, trimming, as well as a bunch of abbreviations that idk what they mean lol. But I still don't have a good handle on any of it. Let alone how to go about doing it. Please share you're knowledge if you can.

As for an update everything seems to be going swimmingly :). Plant 1 and 2 are starting to show pre flowers and if I'm not mistaken that means there both females right? (Assuming the pre flowers are female pre flowers). What is a good rule of thumb on when to switch them too 12/12? I would like to switch the first four all at once if possible but that would require letting #3 and #4 catch up while #1 and #2 would probably be ready to start flowering.

What you need to do is get the pinnacle stem lower then the rest of the plant. Whatever is at the top will grow the fastest, rerouting hormones to the secondary stems will balance out the plant and create a level canopy....eventually. If your in a hurry to flower then I'd low stress train (LST) the lot of them.

Start at the lowest flexible point( 2nd node or so) on the main stem, place a counter force (string to pull the plant one way) while you bend the top over to the opposite side. VERY slowly and in small increments bring the main stem lower and shape it around your pot like a corkscrew. Using another string and stakes to guide it where you want it to grow/go. All the secondary shoots will go straight up and become Colas.

Check my first journal for some pics on how it progresses. Don't be afraid to bend the stems, but be gentle and do it slow. It may take a week but you can get the stem horizontal, guaranteed :)

KiG my friend :green_heart:cheers

What about topping? I read a good article on topping it said you should do it when you have 3-5 nodes which is right where I'm at. Any thoughts? Although cutting the top off my babies makes me even more weary than trying to Bend them over lol

Back
Top Bottom