First Time Grower- Shiva Skunk & Jack Flash #5 in Coco Under a Budmaster II LED Light

Re: First time grower- Shiva Skunk & Jack Flash #5 in coco under a Budmaster II LED l

Day 12 Update

Managed to achieve a little growth of the leaves last night so I'm pretty happy! Four out of the six plants have also started showing brown spots which I'm hoping will allow me to diagnose my plants and hopefully the problem that caused the brown spots also caused the stall of growth:

manga2.png
Manga.png

Using various charts on the net I think my best bet is manganese deficiency. So I've given specifically formulated seedling nutes to some of my plants:

IMAG02299.jpg

I spread the pH out on the three I applied it to just in case it's calcium or iron deficiency.

Other than the addition of cal/mag, I don't think anything is wrong with your method. When you transplant them to bigger pots, you could always turn them into hempy. But I only say that because it's foolproof for a new grower like me. But if you can, just add cal/mag and fluctuate your ph a little and things should be golden. I'm subbed up to this grow, so I'll put my two cents in when I can

Re: First time grower- Shiva Skunk & Jack Flash #5 in coco under a Budmaster II LED l

I would be careful following that feed chart from canna. I am using there a and b as my base. The seedlings need food from the start in coco IMO.

I would be careful following that feed chart from canna. I am using there a and b as my base. The seedlings need food from the start in coco IMO.

Thanks for the tip :) can you say how the canna feed chart is out, do they recommended too little or too much? The nutes that I used yesterday were from Canna and I fed my plants at the recommended dosage.

I think I agree now that seedlings need food from the start with coco. A lot of the research I said warned of being very careful of feeding seedlings too much nutrients but now I think they were talking from a soil point of view.

Other than the addition of cal/mag, I don't think anything is wrong with your method.

Did you mean here that the addition of cal/mag was a bad idea? From what I thought it could fix my possible calcium deficiency.

As you can see from earlier in the thread the brown spots did at first lead me to believe the issue was manganese deficiency but now I've read hydroponic pH charts and seen that manganese is uptaked in the 5.7 pH that I've been watering with I think calcium is more likely as it has a floor level of 6.2.

No, adding cal/mag is a good thing. As far as I've read, it's near impossible to give them too much. I forgot that you added it already. Just stay the course and never stop learning

No, adding cal/mag is a good thing. As far as I've read, it's near impossible to give them too much. I forgot that you added it already. Just stay the course and never stop learning

That's the plan! Thanks for all your help, I'm sure I may need it again in the future but for now I'm feeling a lot happier about my grow :thanks:

Anytime. I'll be watching your grow, and if I ever miss something don't be afraid to pop over to mine and ask questions. A lot of good growers popping in and out of mine who know a lot more than me

I've got 4 autos about to finish in coir and thee photos in hempys,3 weeks into flower. I prepaired my coir washing with distilled water and never give nutes till third set of leaves. I do run a 150ppm nute mix A&B and rhizo through it once washed. Seed has enough in it to get a start in life. Not all growth is noticeable especially 2nd/3rd week of seedlings life. It will be working on a root system, the most important part of it's survival. Seedlings aren't deficient. :peace:

I've got 4 autos about to finish in coir and thee photos in hempys,3 weeks into flower. I prepaired my coir washing with distilled water and never give nutes till third set of leaves. I do run a 150ppm nute mix A&B and rhizo through it once washed. Seed has enough in it to get a start in life. Not all growth is noticeable especially 2nd/3rd week of seedlings life. It will be working on a root system, the most important part of it's survival. Seedlings aren't deficient. :peace:

Thanks for the advice. I would have thought the brown spots on all the leaves must be a sign of some deficiency. They certainly don't look like other pictures of people in a similar stage that I've seen.

Day 14 Update

Finally I've seen some signs of growth!

The two plants which I fed the canna start seedling nutrients to have grown a new set of leaves and the old leaves are looking healthier and longer:

IMAG023416.jpg

The plant which I fed the CalMag to has grown a little but not as much. The flush and tap water plants still show no sign of growth (for the ninth day in a row now). This suggests the next time my plants need watering I should feed them all with the seedling nutrients and ensure the pH varies so as to not lockout calcium again.

Subbed!

Day 17 Update

Plants are looking much healthier- I have the cheesiest grin on my face right now!

The nutes seem to have worked on all but one of the plants. I fed them again tonight with the seedling nutrients. At the moment the plants are still kept about 10cm away from my t5 fluorescent bulb, I'm hoping in about a week I can move them under the Budmaster. Here are the healthy (or at least healthier!) looking plants:

IMAG023517.jpg
IMAG023817.jpg
IMAG023920.jpg

And this one is still drooping and hasn't grown much:

IMAG024119.jpg

I've been using a 5.5pH nutrient solution for the last feeding and a 5.8pH solution for today's. I've measured the root pH using the run off test and found it to be around 7 in all plants which leads me to believe the test may be unreliable (I've heard this about coco before) or the coco is very acidic.

Have a great evening chaps!

Day 20 Update

My plants have been making steady progress, I water them now about every 2-3 days and always use the seedling nutrient solution.

One thing I am unsure about is when to top the plants to start the flux, I believe I want to do this to the stem about the third set of true leaves and I believe this should happen soon:

IMAG024223.jpg
IMAG024325.jpg
IMAG024523.jpg

:peace:

Probably want them in their final pot before you flux them.

Thanks for hanging around!

Am I right in thinking that when you top for the flux you do it at the 3rd set of leaves and get rid of the other growth? If this is the case I should transplant soon right to prevent any time loss right.

All the best mate

Yes. You can micro top it and strip the first two nodes. Then after about a week you can probably transplant. Don't wanna do it all at once and stress the plant too much.

Yes. You can micro top it and strip the first two nodes. Then after about a week you can probably transplant. Don't wanna do it all at once and stress the plant too much.

Great that's what I'll do then. Just to confirm which part of the plant is the first node? Is it from where the first set of three jagged leaves on either side emerge, and now from where the seed leaves and the single jagged leaf comes from.

Thanks for the link, Light Addict was actually the person who inspired me to start my grow and buy the Budmaster light, his journals are incredible!

Back
Top Bottom