Fools Rush In: Newbie's Adventures In Suboptimal Conditions

It continues.

A package in the mail.

Gray, this time.

This time, I'll share the money shot! Here's the collection as it stands after today's additions --

IMG_9061.jpeg

Added:
  • Do-Si-Dos 33 (Do-Si-Dos X Gelato 33, Barney's Farm)
  • Gorilla Zkittlez (Gorilla Glue 4 X Zkittlez, Barney's Farm)
  • Bubba Kush (Seedsman, Freebie)
  • White Widow (Seedsman, Freebie)
  • Super Silver Haze OG (Seedsman, Freebie)
  • Lemon Haze Autofem (Seedsman, Freebie)
I'm feeling very blessed, y'all!

Now I have some "indica" heavy-hitters too, to counterpoint the energetic Amnesia stuff

Omg!!! You lucky dog! And I'm over here sitting on my one and only weedbaby! So sad..lol. I'm so excited for you and this amazing collection!! I'm drooling! This is going to be fun, let the games begin...

:drool::drool::drool::popcorn:

Thats a beautiful collection man.... gonna be some wonderful strains blooming in the land of the long white cloud

Thanks BC! Sounds like you're gonna have your own soon too!

Well done, mate! A drool worthy collection.
Quite a few off my wishlist there, too. I’ll be watching with interest. Stoked for you :high-five:

Tena koe DD!

Now that the seeds are actually here, and I'm not longer simply flirting with possibility but courting it, I hope I can do the quality genetics justice :Namaste:

Also I would love to know: which of mine are on your wishlist?

Omg!!! You lucky dog! And I'm over here sitting on my one and only weedbaby! So sad..lol. I'm so excited for you and this amazing collection!! I'm drooling! This is going to be fun, let the games begin...

Thank you Curls! Growing them is going to be harder than spending money on them so we'll see lol :p

Now that the seeds are actually here, and I'm not longer simply flirting with possibility but courting it, I hope I can do the quality genetics justice :Namaste:
That's right, you've achieved getting them, now it's on to the next phase! Good stuff syenite.
:yummy:

Maintenance training update

I did some minor spacing-out of the main branches.

Before and after

IMG_9068.jpeg
IMG_9070.jpeg

Used the twist-ties as separators, pushing rather than pulling.

IMG_9071.jpeg

And also more supercropping. Pinched each branch. Bent the top branches backwards.

Weighing the branches down with some spare twist-ties for now. Will reposition them a bit closer to the bend shortly!

IMG_9072.jpeg
IMG_9073.jpeg

Goddamn I feel cruel :eek::eek:

Used the twist-ties as separators, pushing rather than pulling.
I like your number 8 wire mentality.
It’s fun watching her take form. The fact she’s thriving should assuage any feelings of cruelty on your part.
I can have a veg girl sit and do nothing for weeks, then as soon as I top her or start to reposition branches she’ll boost.
Tena koe DD!

Also I would love to know: which of mine are on your wishlist?
Hey man. Before my wishlist became mEnTaL it was an actual list. Cherry pickings from moments of interest here on 420.
Wishlist:
Platinum Cake
Dolitos
Orange Sherbet
Dark Devil Auto
Do-Si-Dos
Lambs Bread
Godfather OG (34%)
Destroyer
Inzane in the membrane
CrescendO RBxV2
Goji (mood)
Carnival
Durban Thunder Fuck
Thai x Panama
Zkittles Glue
Northern Lights (Sensi seeds or nirvana seeds)
Black Cherry Punch
——————————
Recommended:
MK Ultra: psoriatic arthritis
Y Greiga
Black Ghost OG

So you have the do si dos, the zkittles, and some of my unwritten ‘givens’ in the bubba kush and the SSH.
I’m excited for ya!
Like you I want to hit the major food groups: chem, diesel, haze, kush, ...
Apart from ‘science’ and enjoying the medicine one must take daily, the main one I’m looking out for is this black swan thing I have flagged in my signature.
If/when my invisible friend* in my gut flips to cancer as these pancreatic bogies are known to do, well that one may just be the antidote. I wish I could find it, so that’s on my wish list.
Lots of others too. Respect the ECS, I say. “Variety is not just the spice of life, it is the very stuff of it”,(Lyall Watson).
I am managing to chip away at some of the wanted ones. You reminded me about GSC of course the other day and that’s in the back of both parents of a new one I’m running. Little by little.
I should also say on the strain-envy front that I am heartened by some very poor reviews of some of that stunning looking, but too expensive IHG gear.
And you can look at anything grown by @MrX and just want to bite your own arm off.
*sometimes when you’re on your knees it’s appropriate to sing a little hymnal. You gotta have a sense of occasion. Geez. :rofl:

I like your number 8 wire mentality.
It’s fun watching her take form. The fact she’s thriving should assuage any feelings of cruelty on your part.
I can have a veg girl sit and do nothing for weeks, then as soon as I top her or start to reposition branches she’ll boost.

Thanks DD! IKR. I'm having a helluvalotta fun, too. Been good to just get my hands dirty and work through the nerves!

Wishlist:

:drool:
Thanks for sharing that!

Yup. I have eyes that big too for sure.

I'm trying to follow "history" and "genealogy" for now so I'm not completely overwhelmed by the possibilities...

So you have the do si dos, the zkittles, and some of my unwritten ‘givens’ in the bubba kush and the SSH.

Yeah I'm super excited to try the cool kids, GZ and DSD33 (sorry, lazy) - it's a shortcut for me to get a sense of the GG4, Gelato, Cookies, Zkittlez, etc.

Simultaneously cannot wait to pay tribute to the BK and SSH.

You reminded me about GSC of course the other day and that’s in the back of both parents of a new one I’m running. Little by little.

Haha GSC is eeeeeverywhere!

I should also say on the strain-envy front that I am heartened by some very poor reviews of some of that stunning looking, but too expensive IHG gear.
And you can look at anything grown by @MrX and just want to bite your own arm off.

Oh yes the IHC stuff shows up on Reddit all the time lol. It's too Tesla for my tastes, right now.

At the same time, checked out MrX's last grow - jeeeeeeeeeez!!

Apart from ‘science’ and enjoying the medicine one must take daily, the main one I’m looking out for is this black swan thing I have flagged in my signature.
If/when my invisible friend* in my gut flips to cancer as these pancreatic bogies are known to do, well that one may just be the antidote. I wish I could find it, so that’s on my wish list.

Will definitely keep an eye out for you, for this! :Namaste:

And of course that's what they ended up calling it...

So I've decided which secondary growth to keep! And have pruned accordingly.

IMG_9092.jpeg
IMG_9092 marked.jpeg

Coming near the end of training, I think I've used the space to the best of my abilities.

We're inching closer and closer to flip.

From the SaugaView you can see the last supercrop on the top branches. I'm loving the terraced greenery :cool:

IMG_9095 sanitised.jpg

Fun shapes, Sy. Ha! I was thinking of you as I took to the main stems on a clone today with pliers :high-five:
She looks thirsty, your young lady. A good thing in veg, not criticising. Are her roots going to fill that pot do you think?
I don’t have any experience with LED lighting, but I see people who do using extra cal/mag. I don’t tinker much with the nutes (a little) since switching to the mc, but I’d be tempted to give her a nitrogen bump as well. I give a soluble one or a tablespoon or two of EWC fertigated in a feed (slower, but) and that yellowish tone will green right up again. If that’s your thing :cheesygrinsmiley:

Fun shapes, Sy. Ha! I was thinking of you as I took to the main stems on a clone today with pliers :high-five:
She looks thirsty, your young lady. A good thing in veg, not criticising. Are her roots going to fill that pot do you think?
I don’t have any experience with LED lighting, but I see people who do using extra cal/mag. I don’t tinker much with the nutes (a little) since switching to the mc, but I’d be tempted to give her a nitrogen bump as well. I give a soluble one or a tablespoon or two of EWC fertigated in a feed (slower, but) and that yellowish tone will green right up again. If that’s your thing :cheesygrinsmiley:

Cheers DD! I often take the pics soon after lights come on so hoping the droop is partly due to that. There is also something about the front lights that makes me wonder whether they affect the leaves’ orientation. I will get another pic when she’s been “awake“ for a bit. I have been feeding with CalMag but on the low end of the prescribed range so I might try upping that.

The leaves are thankfully properly green in daylight as far as I can tell. I’ve been using the stove light or the LEDs for the pics and it’s not ideal.

But I will pay attention to these things over the next week or so.

Regarding root development, her wet-dry windows are steadily closing, but it’s still maybe 4 or 5 days between waterings. So it will take a bit more before she’s fully filled out the pot I reckon.

Thank you @DonkeyDick and @FelipeBlu for highlighting a possible issue yesterday!

:Namaste:

I took a couple more pictures this morning, in natural lighting, which was also shortly before lights out for the plant.

I can see in the pictures both the drooping and a general yellowishness.

IMG_9097.jpeg

IMG_9101.jpeg

Yeow. That second picture is super unflattering and the yellow is very apparent there.

So it might be a good time for me to go over one of the basics with you all - watering and feeding.

My current approach is basically soak and leave until dry.

I last watered 5 days ago, with approximately 1.2L of solution (containing CalMag, Canna Rhizotonic and Biocanna Vega). I weigh the plant (almost) daily to check on its consumption/transpiration.

I normally wait until the plant/pot hits its "dry weight", i.e. when the mix is almost entirely dry, before I feed again. It currently takes about 6 days for this to happen. In this instance, I will probably be feeding the plant tomorrow.

Right now I am considering the possibility that feeding may be too infrequent given this strategy. I might add a "secondary" fertigation after 3 or 4 days - with a smaller amount of water, but at the same PPM - to target the surface roots.

In other words, I would/feed water partway through the cycle, but not to saturation, just to wet the top few inches of the mix.

Would love to hear your thoughts, suggestions etc.

full

Further thought:

Looking back over the numbers, it also strikes me that 1.2L of water/feed solution isn't very much for a 1.75 gallon pot?

I stop watering when I see runoff, but possibly I haven't been fully saturating. The feed might just be running through at the beginning because the mix is so dry.

Now I wonder if I have not been fully soaking the pot, too.

I’d be inclined to go for a same-sized mid week watering/feed, but only to the opposite side of the pot. Feed to the roots, get them to fill that pot. Keep up the mycos/beneficials.
The droop may be that she has et her DLI and gone to bed early. You probably have gadgets for measuring all that, eh? ;)

I’d be inclined to go for a same-sized mid week watering/feed, but only to the opposite side of the pot. Feed to the roots, get them to fill that pot. Keep up the mycos/beneficials.
The droop may be that she has et her DLI and gone to bed early. You probably have gadgets for measuring all that, eh? ;)

Thanks DD! I've actually thought of doing this too, because of the position of the plant at one edge of the pot, rather than in the middle. Just to clarify, with the mid-week feed, your suggestion is to water at the opposite end of the pot to the roots?

Yeah I could probably work out the DLI based on the PPFD and hours. As always though, so many competing reference points on the internet regarding what the recommended DLI is! I will leave that one aside for now, LOL!

Just to clarify, with the mid-week feed, your suggestion is to water at the opposite end of the pot to the roots?
Yes, for the sake of precision. I mean to suggest you feed (slowly) at the opposite edge of the pot to the main stem.
Letting the pot dry is fine. Measuring the weight as you do is nothing short of awesome.
Because you don’t want the pot to dry out in flower you need it full of roots. Then you know you don’t have a soggy void in there which is going to create issues.
“As above, so below” with the veg time training.

Yes, for the sake of precision. I mean to suggest you feed (slowly) at the opposite edge of the pot to the main stem.
Letting the pot dry is fine. Measuring the weight as you do is nothing short of awesome.
Because you don’t want the pot to dry out in flower you need it full of roots. Then you know you don’t have a soggy void in there which is going to create issues.
“As above, so below” with the veg time training.

Thank you so much! And yes my strategy would definitely be different in flower. I will not be letting the pot dry out then!

Cool. So this is my current plan for next week:
  1. Since the plant is already at the end of the dry phase, will let it dry out fully and then feed tomorrow or next day
  2. When feeding, going to water much more slowly this time, just to make sure I'm actually saturating the pot, and not underestimating the amount (because of premature runoff due to dryness)
    1. Consider upping CalMag to full recommended dose
  3. Do a mid-week feed at normal PPM (but not to saturation), targeting "vacant" end of pot/mix

Back
Top Bottom