Fools Rush In: Newbie's Adventures In Suboptimal Conditions

Sorry for the multiple updates in one day!

Off with her head!

IMG_9123.jpeg

The top two branches are monstrous growers, so I've supercropped them again in the other direction.

IMG_9120.jpeg
IMG_9120 marked.jpeg

IMG_9118.jpeg

This might be my best tactic so far of keeping them down so the other growth can come up!

I might have to add supports between the bend(s) for weight-bearing later though.

Morning stovetop update

The struggle is real! The twice-supercropped branches are already lifting their heads out of the rubble:

IMG_9132.jpeg
IMG_9131.jpeg

And speaking of struggle, the first community cases (4 of them) of Covid-19 have emerged in NZ for the first time in 100 days. :lot-o-toke:

Auckland, the biggest city, and where those cases are, is already going into lockdown.

Here we go again...

Is there a RSPCP ?
:rofl:
Looking like a lot of fun in there, Sy.

@Stunger never should have told me about the pliers :laughtwo:

Are we hoping to sculpt her into a topiary Jacinda in time for the polls?

Auntie Cindy can't be looking too happy right now!

It was @Stunger’s idea?! I was thinking of you when I attacked helped a plant with pliers the other day.
Thanks Koro @Stunger
No not my idea. I'd mentioned it after seeing a thread by @gr865 who showed his experience and confidence at not mucking around when it came to training his plants using pliers to do so. :ganjamon:

No not my idea. I'd mentioned it after seeing a thread by @gr865 who showed his experience and confidence at not mucking around when it came to training his plants using pliers to do so. :ganjamon:

Not the originator but the disseminator of plant abuse techniques!! :rofl:

Ok ok I'll stop before the jokes get too dark...

I am actually super grateful you shared that Stunger! I did know about it but it was a good reminder. I may not have gotten as far with the training if not for it!

Hope you and DD and everyone else are well today :Namaste:

I'm gearing up for that announcement later..

Been away 23 pages and many updates. :oops:

:ciao:

Love that supercrop training! Excellent use of your space.

I did read the discussion on saturation points, which is what I was mentioning in my thread last week. The saturation point is often much higher than just runoff; so much so that I have a hard time lifting my 7 gallon pots after I flush the medium. But after 2 gallons and runoff they're easy peasy. Next time I'm going to flush the soil I will weigh them before and after and see what the difference is.

thankfully she has no other Covid symptoms, her blood oxygen levels were fine, and her lungs sounded ok too, so we were able to avoid waiting around for 3-4 hours on Sunday night to see a doctor.
That's great news! I hope she's completely recovered by now and it was all just an untimely scare.
now she's happy that I've found something other than benzos to help with anxiety.
:welldone: It's so nice to hear about understanding partners as opposed to the angry ones that appear in these pages too often.
I’m going to try to wean myself off once I get a nice heavy nighttime strain.
If I can make a suggestion on that score: A heavy indica is a good way to start, but if you really want sleepy-time meds, remember that THCa degrades into CBNa (responsible for couch lock), both on the plant (amber) and after harvest. This degradation can be used to your advantage with poor drying and curing techniques. Rather than drying in the dark, doing it in bright light will degrade the THC to CBN, as will higher-than-standard heat.

Things to keep in mind when searching for the perfect nighttime meds.

Been away 23 pages and many updates. :oops:

:ciao:

Love that supercrop training! Excellent use of your space.

Thanks so much for stopping by, Shed! Appreciate it :Namaste:

I'm glad you're enjoying the training! I love constraints. They create the space for interesting ideas!

Yup I've been loving having the certainty of weighing. Although as you saw, my reference point for "saturation" was way off! Won't make that mistake again.

Yes, thankfully my partner is all good now. She had a follow-up x-ray and blood tests and everything checked out fine. So she's putting it down to stress, anxiety and asthma for now.

I am deeply appreciative that she's been so open minded about all this. She's someone who doesn't enjoy cannabis on a recreational basis, but wishes she could. She's been fully supportive of my growing endeavours, too. She's an ace lady.

Very very interesting point about drying in the light! I had not heard of this at all.

:thanks:

Hi everyone! Ehhhhh many things happening at once! :eek:

Desert is about an inch away from the vertical halfway mark, and is likely to be flipped within the week

Finding out its sex will be one high-stakes scratchie! I've left the fan leaves that were turning yellow a couple of weeks back. It seems to have slowed/stopped, but I love having them there as diagnostic surfaces. Here she is freshly woken and fed. I've upped the feed. And I will up it again during stretch, before swapping to bloom nutes.

Desert's roots are not as established in this pot as I'd like them to be, just based on how long it takes for them to dry it out. I think that is partly due to not saturating the pot properly every watering (until the last two), which I feel would've pushed the roots a bit further along by this point. And otherwise it's simply due to the height constraints.

Add in the fact that this is a bag seed grow, and that I have other quality seeds waiting.. it makes sense to push the button very soon.

IMG_9212.jpeg

I've replaced my crappy backup box with a crappy bloom-capable box!!

For those of you who missed the cardboard days - they're back. I've split the LED panels between the boxes, with the hypothesis that I can juuuuuust wring out enough light from them, given the small spaces. Anywho, the proof will be in the pudding. How many times have I said that now? But that's growing eh?

Now I can do things like normal people do. I can finally quadline! But I will still be very constrained height-wise, so those pliers are gonna come in very handy again. :laughtwo: Suboptimal conditions continue.

IMG_9210.jpeg

Last but not least...

We await a new addition to the herd. I'm popping Seedsman's Bubba Kush, which is apparently a "Pre-'98 Bubba Kush x Pre-'98 Bubba Kush". Was just talking to @DonkeyDick about this. Not sure if that means it's been backcrossed, or if it's an S1?

Regardless, I'm very excited. I did the 24 hour soak (with a bit of Rhizotonic solution), and it went straight into Canna Terra Pro mix, which I also wet lightly with the same solution. When I was transferring the seed, I noticed that there was already a wee crack. Here's hopin'! :Namaste:

IMG_9209.jpeg

There's actually been even more stuff but I'll save it for another update, lol!

Hope you all are well, fam :green_heart::Namaste::high-five:

Back
Top Bottom