GardeningGnome's Gorilla Glue, Jack Herer, Critical & Northern Lights: Coco & LED, 2020

I treat it like a canvas. I choose how I want my plant to look through veg. Once I top above the 5th node I let it recover after about a week there will be fans blocking the lower branches trying to reach up I will take those pretty early on. I really feel like indoors defoliation is important in small spaces the bigger the space gets and the
More lights you have it gets to be a little less important. Removing all the lowers is a must at 21 days and a selective leaf stripping at or around the 42 days or 3/4’s mark of flower.
I do it mainly for airflow purposes and to add some light to the lowers. There’s lots of variables but treat it like a canvas like a piece of art. Stand back and look at the plant and think about how you want it to look. I never Really liked lst tried it and the way I learned with two trellis nets is without compare imo.

ok,, first thing,, the alien invading your house,, i just gotta ask what it's for,, besides looking groovy,,oh

and the tool holder you have there,, another alien? again, a groovy alien. so funky

defol,, personally, i remove, at about the stage yours is at, anything in the dirt, tho i don't literally use dirt,, and i remove from below so i can see whats goin on in there,, and spray effectively for mildew or bugs or whatever the issue of the hour is

oh,, ya, again,, your 'x' training,, exactly my routine as well,, it spreads the branches to the side for the ones directly below to grow

it gets all funked up when one gets a trifecta tho,,

P1170685.JPG

the b.c. bud, the legend grew from a fellow who learned to grow indoors here, as in the 'kootenays',, a area of canada a bit east of where i am,, closer to the rocky mountains. did all his breeding etc indoors. one of the first indoor cultivators and breeders. complete control,, the key,, as we strive for

cheers friend

First of all, thanks to everyone that has voiced their opinion so far. It is a topic that has as many "answers" as there are growers.

Everyone has an opinion on this. If I defol it is a week before flip so they can bounce back. Roughly 21 days after flip the stretch has stopped. If I'm going to remove any lower branches that won't make it to the canopy I'll do it then.
Nice feedback. Allowing the plant to bounce back from pruning is very logical, and used in bonsai or any gardening matter that I've come across... Makes sense.

I only know what my mentor and Doc says. Doc says take everything off below the 4th node of each branch. Duggan says take everything off the bottom 1/3 of each branch so I try to do something in between about 10 days before flip. I have gone back and done a little more pruning after that as well
Thanks PC. I like "golden rules", and it is something to keep in mind. However, my plants at the moment are growing under colder conditions and not the optimal lights. As @GIjose pointed out, it makes my plants stocky and short. Just like a gnome I guess... I'll try to stick to the 1/3 rule, that suits me fine.

Since your plant is short and stubby, I would just defoliate the bottom two nodes, and then wait till your plant starts its stretch.
Brilliant input sir. Bonus points for looking at the plant. I'll combine this advice, with the other ones given.
Hope you can use my input.
Sitting with my laptop in the grow-room at the moment, writing this reply. In a minute or two, your feedback will be put in use.

I treat it like a canvas. I choose how I want my plant to look through veg. Once I top above the 5th node I let it recover after about a week there will be fans blocking the lower branches trying to reach up I will take those pretty early on. I really feel like indoors defoliation is important in small spaces the bigger the space gets and the
More lights you have it gets to be a little less important. Removing all the lowers is a must at 21 days and a selective leaf stripping at or around the 42 days or 3/4’s mark of flower.
I do it mainly for airflow purposes and to add some light to the lowers. There’s lots of variables but treat it like a canvas like a piece of art. Stand back and look at the plant and think about how you want it to look. I never Really liked lst tried it and the way I learned with two trellis nets is without compare imo.
Speaking to my artistic soul. Luv it. You hit all the marks shotta, with my conditions and variables. I've been coming back during the last hour, and looking at the plant in different lights, different angles and looking at it, as a piece of art. There are one lower branch that is reeeeally thick and healthy, it will get some extra attention. Extra points again for mentioning day 21 for "last chance". Much good advice!

defol,, personally, i remove, at about the stage yours is at, anything in the dirt, tho i don't literally use dirt,, and i remove from below so i can see whats goin on in there,, and spray effectively for mildew or bugs or whatever the issue of the hour is

oh,, ya, again,, your 'x' training,, exactly my routine as well,, it spreads the branches to the side for the ones directly below to grow
Yup! Will be removing the lower leaves and nodes. Nice to hear about someone else using the "x" training.

Many many solid "golden rules" here so far. I should combine all your wisdom and write a short guide.

So, I have been pruning all four big GG's, and the two biggest ones will get about 1 week to recover, then they go into bloom. Photos will come during the next couple of days.

Thank you all for the input!

Below is a photo of one of three cuttings taken from my purple GG last week. Two of the three did today show roots, and the third one will (hopefully) show roots in the coming two days. The last one to show roots was the top-cutting, and I did not scrape the stem too much at all on that one. It was a bit of an experiment from my side, to see if it really mattered. The "S" formed stem is due to the LST I did on the original plant. It would actually be a perfect start of a bonsai! One or two of the cuttings will be used to produce seeds. Not really sure if I'll go with the gibberellic acid GA3 or with colloidal silver. Things are leaning towards GA3 thanks to @Modest grower and @The Celt .

Extra thanks to @shottafire for his cloning tutorial.
cutting_roots.jpeg

So, I have been pruning all four big GG's, and the two biggest ones will get about 1 week to recover, then they go into bloom. Photos will come during the next couple of days.

Below is a photo of one of three cuttings taken from my purple GG last week. Two of the three did today show roots, and the third one will (hopefully) show roots in the coming two days. The last one to show roots was the top-cutting, and I did not scrape the stem too much at all on that one. It was a bit of an experiment from my side, to see if it really mattered. The "S" formed stem is due to the LST I did on the original plant. It would actually be a perfect start of a bonsai! One or two of the cuttings will be used to produce seeds. Not really sure if I'll go with the gibberellic acid GA3 or with colloidal silver. Things are leaning towards GA3 thanks to @Modest grower and @The Celt .

cutting_roots.jpeg

stoked you liked the tutorial buddy. There’s a few things I didn’t really explain in those videos cause I’m not perfect but I plan on doing more of those videos soon.

cutting_roots.jpeg
Strong looking root growth! Way to go! I love GG very resilient!

@GardeningGnome, if you go GA3 and have any questions, give a shout mate :thumb:
I will take that offer! Humbled by your help. Thanks!

stoked you liked the tutorial buddy.
Absolutely! Kept to the basics and that is where I've gone wrong in the past. I tend to the clones too much, giving them too much attention, altering their environment too often, and so forth and so forth. Not the best at all for them, you pointed out the importance of a stable environment with temperature, humidity, and light as the three cornerstones. Kudos @shottafire

Strong looking root growth! Way to go! I love GG very resilient!
Yeah, same here! Grew GG's last year and it was good. Nothing like this, with all your help. Btw, thanks a lot for your videos as well Jose!

ok,, first thing,, the alien invading your house,, i just gotta ask what it's for,, besides looking groovy,,oh

and the tool holder you have there,, another alien? again, a groovy alien. so funky
Gots ta' keep it funky!! :)

The alien is a combination of all my different computer needs and gadgets. A wireless router, my Internet connection, a "multimedia center" that hosts my movies&shows, audiobooks&music, and harddrives, etc etc. A bit of everything a hacker like me needs.

Thanks for noticing my tool holder! I really like it myself. I have a ton of different bits for the Dremel, and was getting tired of looking in different boxes for the ones I needed... So I did that one. Old horse-shoe for the base, then wire and some old pieces of wood.. Tadaa!! :)

Hope all is well with you @nivek !

Gots ta' keep it funky!! :)

The alien is a combination of all my different computer needs and gadgets. A wireless router, my Internet connection, a "multimedia center" that hosts my movies&shows, audiobooks&music, and harddrives, etc etc. A bit of everything a hacker like me needs.

Thanks for noticing my tool holder! I really like it myself. I have a ton of different bits for the Dremel, and was getting tired of looking in different boxes for the ones I needed... So I did that one. Old horse-shoe for the base, then wire and some old pieces of wood.. Tadaa!! :)

Hope all is well with you @nivek !
That tool holder is next level. You should see me every time I need a 10mm socket. Or when I need a flat head only find Phillip's or vice versa haha. I also notice you are a dremel user. It has served me well in my ventures. I need something cool for organizing like that. Will work on it. Gracias!

That tool holder is next level. You should see me every time I need a 10mm socket. Or when I need a flat head only find Phillip's or vice versa haha. I also notice you are a dremel user. It has served me well in my ventures. I need something cool for organizing like that. Will work on it. Gracias!

Haha exactly how I used to have it!!

Yeah, I use both their "normal" tool, and also have their "Precision Torch". Excellent for soldering or cutting plastic/wood or even melting metals.

Photo update!!

Below is two photos of my biggest Jack Herer. I've trained it haaaard, to the extent that I had to let it grow "normally" during the last week. Today the LST began again. This is without the thickest and bushiest plant I've grown, it stands about 15cm above soil-level and already have 7nodes. Lower branches are almost already up to the top node, and now that all the bigger leaves are folded down again, it will be a few days before they "catch up". I removed two of the higher fan leaves to give light into the branches. I'll be topping it within a few days.

20200224_152029.jpeg

20200224_152157.jpeg

Photo update!!

Below is two photos of my biggest Jack Herer. I've trained it haaaard, to the extent that I had to let it grow "normally" during the last week. Today the LST began again. This is without the thickest and bushiest plant I've grown, it stands about 15cm above soil-level and already have 7nodes. Lower branches are almost already up to the top node, and now that all the bigger leaves are folded down again, it will be a few days before they "catch up". I removed two of the higher fan leaves to give light into the branches. I'll be topping it within a few days.

20200224_152029.jpeg

20200224_152157.jpeg
I gotta say at a for a split second I thought it was a head of lettuce. :laugh: very beautiful ritch colors i cant wait to see them flower. Keep it up Gnome :high-five:

Photo update!!

20200224_152029.jpeg

20200224_152157.jpeg
Looking good. Jack Herer has always been a favorite of mine. Feed her some Superthrive. That will definetely bounce her back.

Bushy girl GG.
Looking nice. I would never tie my girl down in bondage but we are all different animals and that’s what makes this practice of growing cannabis so unique.
one love and underground hip hop,
Shotta

Thanks Celt!! Will be soo interesting to see how it looks in just a few days from now.

I gotta say at a for a split second I thought it was a head of lettuce. :laugh: very beautiful ritch colors i cant wait to see them flower. Keep it up Gnome
Haha! You know, I had a hard time getting a good photo during the last week. It just looked like, exactly that, a head of lettuce. Now with the fan leaves bent down, you can see the branches below. Loooovely! It takes after its gardening gnome; built like a tank. :)

Looking good. Jack Herer has always been a favorite of mine. Feed her some Superthrive. That will definetely bounce her back.
Same here, love to smoke the Jack, perhaps my favorite strain. First time growing it.
But... Bouce her back? Sorry, but this is a very healthy plant, nodes are growing extremely close, she is drinking/eating like a monster, with great color on leaves, bright green new growth and roots are already poking out the new pot after almost a week. The phenotype is absolutely a great one too since I have two more Jack Herer seeds from the same batch and they are much thinner and weaker. Perhaps I misunderstood you?

Bushy girl GG.
Looking nice. I would never tie my girl down in bondage but we are all different animals and that’s what makes this practice of growing cannabis so unique.
one love and underground hip hop,
Shotta
Word!! I work with such small spaces for my grow and not the optimal bloom-lights that I try to get the best out of every plant. A lot of LST, "tough love", and wire. I think my colder climate (especially during night times) is also a bigger factor to my shorter/thicker plants then I've included in the calculation before.

And I agree with you on the practice of growing. In today's world with all sorts of different variables; mediums to grow in, to the jungle of lights, temperature, space, genetics, nutrients, training and aaaaall other variables.... It can be difficult to become "stuck" due to all the different possibilities.
I come from a bonsai background, and love training, so it came naturally to bend, twist and "coach" my plants into performing according to my desire. A bit what you mentioned in the previous post about seeing each plant as a canvas. Keep it UG bruvva.

Hay Gnome just a quick drive by, getting caught up watching the grow show. :popcorn:
Thank you thank you! I'll keep putting together updates and questions for you all, wise wise growers.
:)

Back
Top Bottom