GG7's Indoor/Outdoor Grows!

GG7, Good decision! :bravo:

I had meant to mention it in a previous post (not to "beat a dead horse"!) but, when I was speaking with 420 regarding the problems with my account, they told me they had received messages from a bunch of people asking about me, and they started rattling off screennames of people who had inquired. Although I recognized many of the names, many I did not; and MOST of them have NEVER posted in any of my journals and I had no idea they were even following my grow!

You're really doing good stuff here, and I'm glad you can see that I'm not the only one who thinks so! :bravo:

Awesome! :cheer:

That is really good info about all the people voting for you on the contest that you didn't even know and had never even seen before! :love:

Like I said earlier... As long as I KNOW that people are interested in what I am posting and continue to frequent the thread, I am more than happy to keep it going. I personally have more than enough photos of the processes at this point to last me a lifetime, so at this point, all the photos are strickly being being taken for 420 member consumption!

:party:

P.S> I'm glad that they sorted out your account problems. You were back on the MOTM poll last time I looked. :goodjob:

Your photos are amazing! What is your set up. I get some pretty good one, but nothing like yours.

It would be a shame to shut this journal down, it is very helpful and interesting to me and it sounds like many others.

Thanks
Kat

Thanks Kat and thanks for checking in to my journal! :thumb:

Setup as in camera?

I use my trusty but OLD Olympus C2000 (the original Camedia Digital)

It's only a 2 MP but I like the controls and it does take some descent photos. ;)

Wish the MACRO was better and would kill for MANUAL FOCUS, but all in all I still really like my 2000. :love:

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Anyone who wants a better participation in journals:

First journal I had here, not too many followers -- I would get kind of frustrated. It was ultimately a lame journal and I just was bummed that I didn't get a lot of participation at times. Let me add - it was not nearly as nice as your journal GG7, and it was a newbie first grow. I really wanted people there to give me feedback and ask questions of.

Next few grows, I mostly lurked here and didn't journal my grows - instead I mined 420mag for info I needed. I took a lot from here, info wise!

After a while, I realized that I had learned a lot by lurking here, and I decided to journal again, mostly to help myself remember and improve - as I kept going back to my LAME first journal for info that I did a poor job documenting. So, I decided to journal again with my own benefit in mind. Additionally, I decided to start participating in other peoples journals, helping where I could to "pay back" some of what I learned here.

And that was the secret to getting a lot of participation in my journals. Most people say it's "posting lots of pictures", (and that really helps, but that's NOT the biggest thing).

Though great pictures sure DO help. ;) Check out the GDP of GG7's:
P1011282.JPG

If you want a lot of participation, participate in a lot of other journals. Think about it - don't you want to know more about what the person who keeps visiting your journal is up to?

(GG7 I know you are doing that, so that's not to say you aren't - I just wanted to share one really successful secret to getting a lot of people involved in a persons journal).

Cool peppers, GG7 - I grow Habaneros for fun. :)

Yeah, more pepperheads. Keep up the good work. I lurk a lot and hate to just give a thumbs up or minimal post, but may start doing so to keep the journals bumped to the top.....

Anyone who wants a better participation in journals:

First journal I had here, not too many followers -- I would get kind of frustrated. It was ultimately a lame journal and I just was bummed that I didn't get a lot of participation at times. Let me add - it was not nearly as nice as your journal GG7, and it was a newbie first grow. I really wanted people there to give me feedback and ask questions of.

Next few grows, I mostly lurked here and didn't journal my grows - instead I mined 420mag for info I needed. I took a lot from here, info wise!

After a while, I realized that I had learned a lot by lurking here, and I decided to journal again, mostly to help myself remember and improve - as I kept going back to my LAME first journal for info that I did a poor job documenting. So, I decided to journal again with my own benefit in mind. Additionally, I decided to start participating in other peoples journals, helping where I could to "pay back" some of what I learned here.

And that was the secret to getting a lot of participation in my journals. Most people say it's "posting lots of pictures", (and that really helps, but that's NOT the biggest thing).

Though great pictures sure DO help. ;) Check out the GDP of GG7's:
P1011282.JPG

If you want a lot of participation, participate in a lot of other journals. Think about it - don't you want to know more about what the person who keeps visiting your journal is up to?

(GG7 I know you are doing that, so that's not to say you aren't - I just wanted to share one really successful secret to getting a lot of people involved in a persons journal).

Cool peppers, GG7 - I grow Habaneros for fun. :)

I'm diggin all the folks here that are also gowing peppers! I LOVE growing peppers, but I like cooking with their HEAT even more! :laughtwo:

Really good pointers there 8! It definitely helps to make the rounds and see if you can help out others with their growing processes. Putting a link or two to your main grow journal (s) in your signature can't hurt either.

But, this does not always guarantee that your threads get replied to enough to keep them in the public eye. I too wish that the 420 staff could devise a way to make some of the larger journals, reviews and how to's more visible to the 420 members WITHOUT being forced to bump the topic with "Me Too" responses.

Perhaps a new section called "Classic Journals" or something like that. Maybe require a certain number of pages, and likes to qualify, then add a section that only Admins can move these threads into? I don't know, you may end up with the same problem eventually. :laughtwo:

But... Having been an active member on internet forums since the BBS and NewsGroup days back in the late 80s and early 90s, I have yet to see anyone come up with a good way to do this. That is why the "BUMP" is still the option of choice for anyone who doesn't want all their hard work to get buried in the popularity of a site like this.

I would think that if any forum staff could come up with a solution, it would be the creative and AWESOME 420 site staff! :thumb:

Perhaps we should drop them a PM about this?

P.S> Glad you liked that picture of the GDP plant. It was while taking that image that I discovered the infamous Powdery Mildew infection that you can actually see on the lower leaves in that photo.

And again... I am pleased to see so many other Pepper growers in my circle of friends here! Very cool! They are great plants to work with once you learn their quirks.

Thanks for all the great response you guys! I really appreciate you taking time out of your day to check in and add your comments!

Stay tune for a few more updates this week. The BBKs are looking pretty sweet this morning. Just waiting for the Trichomes to hit the magic ratio! Will be posting some new Microscope shots to show what this ratio looks like under the scope!

:thumb:

Some New Trichome Photos of BBK #1

She's definitely getting close! These images were taken using one of the top most bud leaf points on the cola with the most red hairs on it. You can see all the Amber colored Trikes in these shots. (Sorry about the "dirty" slide! The glass still had resin residue on it from the previous sample. Really STICKY stuff!)

EvoCamA.jpg
EvoCam2a.jpg
7345.jpg

9204.jpg

The source plant

P1011311.JPG

When the same bud is viewed using my 10x Jewelers Loupe, I am seeing clear to cloudy trikes overall with amber scattered about.

Current ratio looks something like this:

Clear: 25%
Cloudy: 65%
Amber: 10%​

I expect things to be ramping up quickly coming into week 8 and harvest, but I will wait until I am seeing the correct ratios in the loupe as well as on several scope samples.

Stay tuned! :Namaste:

Some New Trichome Photos of BBK #1

She's definitely getting close! These images were taken using one of the top most bud leaf points on the cola with the most red hairs on it. You can see all the Amber colored Trikes in these shots. (Sorry about the "dirty" slide! The glass still had resin residue on it from the previous sample. Really STICKY stuff!)

EvoCamA.jpg
EvoCam2a.jpg
7345.jpg

9204.jpg

The source plant

P1011311.JPG

When the same bud is viewed using my 10x Jewelers Loupe, I am seeing clear to cloudy trikes overall with amber scattered about.

Current ratio looks something like this:

Clear: 25%
Cloudy: 65%
Amber: 10%​

I expect things to be ramping up quickly coming into week 8 and harvest, but I will wait until I am seeing the correct ratios in the loupe as well as on several scope samples.

Stay tuned! :Namaste:

Hi GG7,

Yes exactly, like your camera set up. Your little camera takes these macro type pictures? or are you somehow hooked into your mircoscope?

Amazing

Thanks
Kat

Hi GG7,

Yes exactly, like your camera set up. Your little camera takes these macro type pictures? or are you somehow hooked into your mircoscope?

Amazing

Thanks
Kat

Thanks Kat! :)

The Trichome images are taken with a special microscope camera made by Celestron. The same company that makes my Microscope. I'm using an 80 power lens for these shots but this scope can go up to 500 X.

You can see the "2 MP Scopecam" plugged into the eyepiece of the microscope with the USB cord coming out. That plugs into my computer and then I use a webcam software program to see the image from the scope and can take snapshots as I move the slide around with the knobs on the left side of the scope.

Its really an awesome setup and didn't really cost that much more $$ than a good pocket scope.

P1011153.JPG

The difference in Trichome coverage between the two plants is getting pretty dramatic. It almost seems as though the plant outside is "losing" trichome coverage from being in a non-12/12 light cycle, while the indoor plant continues to get more and more "frosty". Have you heard of that happening?

That's interesting. Never heard of that before. If you had the two identical flowering plants indoor at one time, and moved one outdoor and the trichome production changed. Perhaps the energy is being used to create new roots for new growth to harness the available sunlight, CO2, and building up stock to withstand winds. Outdoor usually produce more trichomes due to the intense UV-ray from the Sun. Check the plant again in a week and you should see increase tri production even surpass the indoor identical plant.

As far the height of all those back there... The average now is about 6 feet tall with the White Rhinos taking the prize for the tallest plants at about 9 feet each! The Nothern Lights is a close second at 7.5 feet tall, and then the rest at between 5.5 and 6.5 feet tall.

Wow that's some huge trees. You'll be getting pounds! I remember when Jorge Cervantes showed a 10 pound plant outdoor, it was crazy. Indoor is only 1/2 - 1/3 of the size of an outdoor plant. This is another reason why trichome production is slowed/reduced at first when putting the indoor flowering plant outside. It is growing bigger for more bud sites (primary), then trichomes (secondary).

About shutting down the journal...try to keep it going. If it's too much work then only focus on a few plants and make updates on those. Having a big grow is already a lot of work in itself, don't stretch yourself thin. There are non-members who view the journal can learn from your experience. The reason why we post online is to spread our experience (good/bad) and in turn we learn from others too. Look at the views for your journal, it shows that there are people checking it out as there are lots of non-members (guests) than 420 members. Currently Active Users: 2440 (103 members and 2337 guests), heh.

Keep up the great work. I see you got a science lab going with the microscope. That's how it suppose to be, scientific facts not the gibberish they are throwing out there saying it's a harmful plant.

Thanks Twelve!

I appreciate the support and encouragement! Don't worry! I have heard the message to keep this thing going LOUD and CLEAR! :laughtwo:

I am more than happy to continue at this same level of coverage when I know that there are folks out there waiting for the latest update for any of the reasons we have discussed before. :)

Trichomes...

All those concepts make sense to me. However...

I'm not sure if my previous observations about the difference was actually true. Now that BOTH of these plants are finishing their flowering outside, they look about the same in terms of "frostiness" under natural sunlight. Both are getting really close to chop time thats for sure! Looks like Saturday or Sunday. The 27th is the official end of Week #8. Probably going to bring the first one back up to the house and put them side by side on the deck for the last few days.

Thanks again for the great info, and I'm glad that you are enjoying the reports and photos from my "LAB" :geek: :biglaugh:

Got a few photos to post here shortly, so stay tuned! :cheer::Namaste:

Im still lurkin your plants are amazing love them outdoor plants never grown indoors im also a pepper head ive grown some great poblanos this year i like peppers with good taste not to much heat thxs for sharing your journal with us :peacetwo:

GG7, great lookin mother, hope the smoke is as good as she looks!
Can't wait for the chop photos.
Always a lot of fun trimming...
:peace:

GG7, great lookin mother, hope the smoke is as good as she looks!
Can't wait for the chop photos.
Always a lot of fun trimming...
:peace:

Thanks MS! :thanks:

I will be sure to be as thorough as possible with the camera while taking them down. I will try to weigh the undried buds as I take them off too, so we can get a rough idea of how much dried weight we will likely see!

I have stopped watering both of them as of today. If they are ready to chop on Saturday, then the plants will be drier internally to start with and should speed drying and curing. If they are not ready to chop, I will give them one more watering of Molasses/Water and wait another few days and check again.

Love those trichome shots. Is that the only thing you look at to tell you when it is time to harvest?

Thanks HMG!! :thanks:

It is for me since the hair color everyone always talks about can be effected by environmental conditions and not just flower ripeness. Look at what happened to my GDP buds when they got sprayed by accident with the Baking Soda/Water fungal treatment. They all went red on both GDP 1 and 2, so only the ratio of Trichome types can be used to determine the optimum harvest time.

The more clear Trichomes at harvest, the more THC vs CBD/CBN ratio. The cloudy ones are starting to degrade and the THC is turning into CBD. The amber ones are degraded and no longer contain much THC. They have turned into CBD droplets instead.

CBDs are what gives you that "CouchLock" effect and when mixed with THC produces a nice effect without putting you to sleep. Pure THC makes most people climb the walls and feel like they are having an anxiety attack. Pure CBD and CBN will put you to sleep.

This is why you try to harvest when you have just the right mix of all of them for the best medicinal effect. :love:

Thanks MS! :thanks:

I will be sure to be as thorough as possible with the camera while taking them down. I will try to weigh the undried buds as I take them off too, so we can get a rough idea of how much dried weight we will likely see!

I have stopped watering both of them as of today. If they are ready to chop on Saturday, then the plants will be drier internally to start with and should speed drying and curing. If they are not ready to chop, I will give them one more watering of Molasses/Water and wait another few days and check again.

Thanks HMG!! :thanks:

It is for me since the hair color everyone always talks about can be effected by environmental conditions and not just flower ripeness. Look at what happened to my GDP buds when they got sprayed by accident with the Baking Soda/Water fungal treatment. They all went red on both GDP 1 and 2, so only the ratio of Trichome types can be used to determine the optimum harvest time.

The more clear Trichomes at harvest, the more THC vs CBD/CBN ratio. The cloudy ones are starting to degrade and the THC is turning into CBD. The amber ones are degraded and no longer contain much THC. They have turned into CBD droplets instead.

CBDs are what gives you that "CouchLock" effect and when mixed with THC produces a nice effect without putting you to sleep. Pure THC makes most people climb the walls and feel like they are having an anxiety attack. Pure CBD and CBN will put you to sleep.

This is why you try to harvest when you have just the right mix of all of them for the best medicinal effect. :love:

IMO I want to make sure the plant is ready. I look at how the plant is taking up as much water, do the pistils appear to be receding into the calyx, and has the plant begun to feed off of itself.

I feel that a lot of the are harvesting early because they see some amber in a few spots and think it is time. Just as the plant tells us what they need why they are growing I believe they will tell us when they are ready.

Reunions!
BBK Growing Tip? ... Meet your Mom! • BBK Sisters Together Again - 12/12 Outside for GDP #2

Its been a VERY busy day today around here. All the various food crops we grow during the season are all starting to ripen and harvesting has begun! I am growing a lot more Cannabis this year too, so we are spending many, many hours a day out in the back garden dealing with one crop or another!

Along with our latest heatwave, UV levels have been VERY HIGH too, which while helpful to the plants and their various fruits to some degree, not at all helpful to my nose! Plenty of 50+ sunblock is the order of the day this time of year. That and a good straw hat! :thumb:

The weather this sumer has been awesome though! Really can't complain! Probably one of the nicest/mildest summers we have had up here in 25 years.

Mother and Child Reunion

Here we see the now 27" tall growing tip clone on the right of the mother plant that it was taken from those many weeks ago.

P1011364.JPG

Sister Act!

A few hours ago I walked BBK #2 up from the back hill and put it on our main deck alongside BBK #1. You can see what a difference topping makes when you compare the topped plant's yield on the left to the untopped version's yield on the right. All the colas on the topped plant are much bigger and more numerous as well!

P1011369.JPG
P1011370.JPG

12/12 Outside in August? :hmmmm:

I came up with a way to keep my GDP plant under the full 12/12 it was getting inside. This plant was not as far along in its flower cycle (currently week 6) as the BBK plants were, so I didn't want to risk any reveg from our current natural cycle of 13.5/10.5.

Came up with this idea...

P1011373.JPG
P1011372.JPG

The trash can is green and will impart green light onto the plant if any gets through the plastic. The box keeps most of the light from getting through from the other end and there is enough of the box corners showing outside the can rim (out of camera view) to allow air to move in and out. I figure that as long as this plant is covered around 7:00PM and uncovered right around 7AM, it will stay nice and cool in there and in total darkness for 12 full hours! :)

Been doing this every night since we were forced to bring the plant outside after the PM fiasco.

The whole concept works great and is really easy to do. Will only work with medium sized plants obviously. GDP #2 is 27" tall from the base of the pot to the top of the main cola. Don't think you could get anything taller than 35" in there without hitting the top of the can. A deeper box might help, but the width needs to be considered too.

Anyway... There ya have it! The lastest update!

I'll be back with another batch of photos as events unfold! :cheer:

Thanks for checking in and... Stay tuned! :Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom