GG7's Indoor/Outdoor Grows!

Dude, that must have been some fantastic sample bud to cause you to chop the wrong plant! :rofl:

:laughtwo:

If I actually did something that stupid, I think I would hang up my watering can and clippers! :laughtwo:

I know I am too tired to be posting a message when I mix up my own plant's names in a public post! Especially when we are talking about a CHOP!! :rolleyes3 ;)

Weekend Update III • Harvest Time!
BBK "1" Gets the Chop and There Was Much Rejoicing! :cheer::clap:
I waited until last night to harvest the plant because I wanted to make sure that any of the Milk/Water solution and distilled water sprays had been totally dried off all portions of the few lower buds that had traces of PM on them yesterday morning. We have been getting some monsoonal moisture through our area lately and overnight humidity levels have been close to 80% until sun up!

Harvest photos taken as it happened

One last photo before...

P1011459.JPG

After...

Decided to leave a few of the lower buds on the plant to further ripen in the sun for a few more days. So technically, the plant is still alive right now. ;)

P10114651.JPG

The bulk of the plant on the scale

P1011460.JPG

The bulk untrimmed weight came in at 1 pound 10.8 ounces

P1011463.JPG

A couple of the main colas to show their size/scale

P1011467.JPG

After the Trim!

A pretty respectable yield in my opinion for a plant that was 38" tall :thumb:

P1011480.JPG

One more weigh-in
1 pound 1.7 ounces trimmed but wet

P1011488.JPG

One of the main colas weighed in at 2.18 ounces after trimming

P1011489.JPG

So there ya have it! All the buds are now hanging in my well ventilated/climate controlled drying closet. They will remain there for the next 5-7 days, before going into curing jars for the final phase of the process. Stay tuned for some photos of the cured and finished buds around this time next month!

More updates on our other grows coming soon, including the progress of GDP #2 which is heading into Week 8 starting today.

Have a great Sunday everyone! I welcome your comments on the harvest and the yield! :yummy::thanks:

WOW!!! Very nice, GG7!!! :bravo:

You'll get something like 6oz. dried off of the one plant! Unbelievable for only 38"! :welldone:

Thanks Mr. Krip! That means a lot coming from you! :thumb:

I had a feeling that this plant was going to provide an impressive yield, but I was a bit taken aback when I saw the reading on the scale! :cheer:

The buds are pretty dense, so it will be really interesting to see how much it all weighs a month from now after it is dried and cured. I plan to put all the dried bud into a single bowl and weigh it again for comparison around the end of next month.

BBK2 will be on the chopping block in the next few days based on trichome ratios, and I will post the wet weight of that plant for comparison when the time comes.

I'm more looking forward to the harvest of GDP #2, but with this heatwave we have right now, I doubt that she is going to turn purple before the buds become ripe and I am forced to harvest. If I can stretch her out into week 9 or 10, I might have a shot at it, but the trichomes are going to call it, not me. ;)

Thanks again for your continued interest in my grows! I have just started to read through your HUGE DIY Stealth Cab, Hydro, LED & Multiple Strains in Small Space - Oh Boy! journal.

I'm usually so beat by the end of the day, my eyes start to glaze over if I try to read too much of anything lately, but I am determined to pick up as many tips from your journal as I can over the next few weeks as my growing season begins to wind down! :thumb:

Cheers. :)

Hey Twelve! I figured that you might! ;) We can be the "Professors of Pot!" :geek::geek: LOL! :laughtwo:

Here are a few photos of my setup in action. :)

My 15" Apple MacBook Pro connected to the Microscope digital imager USB camera. I am using an OSX webcam app called EVOcam to handle the imaging and the rendering of the actual photos I post here. (Notice the USB digital imager in place of the conventional optical eyepiece on the top of the microscope)

P1011469b.jpg

The $3.00 USB keyboard light with Gooseneck I use to "front light" the specimen.

P1011470.JPG

These shot were taken while I was actually inspecting the trichomes of BBK2 earlier today and snapping selected shots as I scanned around the four leaf cuttings on the slide.

P1011475b.jpg

I've had a few folks ask me what brand and model of scope I have been using to take these trichome photos, so I am going to provide you and everyone else interested with that info right here in this post. :) Hopefully the mods don't have a problem with these links. I sure hope not, as this is probably the best quality microscope you can buy for the money for our specific needs.

The microscope pictured above is my trusty:

Celestron Advanced Biological Microscope 500 Model 44104

To get the scope images to my computer and onto 420 you also need to pick up this great little gizmo:

Celestron Digital Microscope Imager

This thing is an amazing little 2MP micro camera for $50.00! I have used $1500.00 imagers in labs that really didn't have any higher quality on a computer screen than this great little device. Since Celestron makes this, it fits their scopes like a glove with no modifications needed! Just remove the optical eyepiece and drop this cylindrical camera down the tube and secure the three set screws on the adapter ring. :thumb:

Last but not least, you need a front illumination source since the scope only lights from below and doesn't give you light onto the top of the leaf surface where most of the trichomes are. For that I use a 3 dollar USB LED keyboard light on a gooseneck. I plug it into a small AC/USB supply and point it down at the specimen/slide. You can also use the back illumination that comes with the scope at the same time depending on the subject.

Of course, you can always forgo the digital imager and just look through the eyepiece of the scope like they did in the old days, but it isn't nearly as fun and convenient, AND you can't share your findings in your 420 journal! ;) You will still need a front-light source either way.

Shop around for the best price! I bought mine from the online store named after a famous river down south. ;) :Namaste:

See you guys tomorrow when I post the actual HARVEST photo series! :cheer:

This is cool...really

well that was one amazing looking plant! can we say potm!! I think so...
well irene came and went and we (my wife and I) came out of it pretty unscaithed.
we have some cleanup to do but no damage or flooding for us anyway! yeah!!
I feel for all those that have lost someone, something or had any damage at all!
Mother Nature is trull amazing...

I think you have done a great job and look forward to the rest.
:peace:

You're in for a long read! I'd get the cliff notes if I were you! :)

At least there should be a lot of good pics!

:laughtwo: Thanks Mr. Krip! I have been scanning through the pictures over the last 24 hours and there are some GREAT shots in there! I'm definitely looking forward to sitting down uninterrupted and reading through your various projects. Especially the Hash making sections! :thumb:

Just plan old Yummy!:circle-of-love:

Thanks OMM! I'm always happy to see you post a comment in here! And feel free to chime in with any suggestions on anything I may be doing here at the time. I'm always open to learning new things I didn't know! :)

Great journal bro! IM excited to tag alone for the ride, to learn and see your awesome work

Thanks again KingGanja!

I'm really glad that you were able to find my journal within that HUGE section on 420! I'll look forward to chatting with you here in the future! As always...EVERYONE is welcome to post their comments and suggestions in here whenever they want! Once a journal starts getting this large, it becomes more than just a simple Grow Journal. Just ask Home Med Man! :laughtwo:

This is cool...really

Welcome aboard Cona! Glad you liked the Microscope setup! Minus the MacBook Pro, the whole thing was under $200.00! Not bad when you consider how well built and capable that Celestron scope is! Heck, I have bought T5 light fixtures that cost much more! :Namaste:

Things are moving along here today. I am just about to put the cloned out growing tip from the recently harvested BBK1 into the Bloom Room in the next few days. The plant's is just now hitting 32 inches, which with a bit of stretch under 12/12 should end up just under the usual 37-38" height I prefer for my plants inside. It is already well into flower outside, so it should really kick into gear under true 12/12. Just fed it a normal feed level of Miracle Grow Tomato yesterday to kick up its Nitrogen levels before it kicks into high gear flower production under the 12/12.

I've decided to add that step to all plants in transition to see if I can avoid that odd leaf issue I encountered with both BBK1 and 2 when they hit their fourth week of 12/12.

Once it is in there, I will start using the traditional bloom feed products like Tiger Bloom and Big Bloom, and later, an occasional addition of some BlackStrap Molasses around the half way point, (Week 5)

Stay tuned for the next photo update! I am going to bring everyone up to speed on the latest Turbo Klone cloning session along with some photos of the four GDP clones from the last one, which are doing great by the way! :thumb:

Thanks again to all of you guys for sticking around through this VERY long growing season! :cheer::circle-of-love::Namaste:

Thats the very thing GG7, GDP is a very popular strain and is talked about in a few places that I visit for research purposes. As IM going to be setting me up a grow room, which will consist of a veg and flower room. And will be using 600 watt hps. Imho I don't think there is a more beautiful plant then the very own cannabis plant. Their absolutely stunning, the way they just mature. The way they get covered with trichomes, everything about a cannabis plant is fascinating.

Thats the very thing GG7, GDP is a very popular strain and is talked about in a few places that I visit for research purposes. As IM going to be setting me up a grow room, which will consist of a veg and flower room. And will be using 600 watt hps. Imho I don't think there is a more beautiful plant then the very own cannabis plant. Their absolutely stunning, the way they just mature. The way they get covered with trichomes, everything about a cannabis plant is fascinating.

It definitely is an AWESOME PLANT species!

Speaking of trichomes... Here is a sneak peak of a few I just grabbed with my microscope from my outdoor flowering GDP #2. You can clearly see "The Purple" starting to manifest itself starting the stalks of those very trichomes! This means that she is trying to turn color, but our current heatwave is not giving her the normal low overnight temps she needs to do it properly!

GDP2B.JPG
GDP2K.JPG

GDPJ.JPG

GDP2O.JPG

It definitely is an AWESOME PLANT species!

Speaking of trichomes... Here is a sneak peak of a few I just grabbed with my microscope from my outdoor flowering GDP #2. You can clearly see "The Purple" starting to manifest itself starting the stalks of those very trichomes! This means that she is trying to turn color, but our current heatwave is not giving her the normal low overnight temps she needs to do it properly!

GDP2B.JPG
GDP2K.JPG

GDPJ.JPG

GDP2O.JPG

GG7, those pics look awesome, as usual! :welldone:

I dont know if you're familliar with it, but there's a product by Emerald Triangle called "Purple Maxx" that's essentially the same as the SnowStorm Ultra I'm using for trich production, but it has some additional ingredients that will help turn blue/purple strains their intended color. You may want to check it out!

GG7, those pics look awesome, as usual! :welldone:

I dont know if you're familliar with it, but there's a product by Emerald Triangle called "Purple Maxx" that's essentially the same as the SnowStorm Ultra I'm using for trich production, but it has some additional ingredients that will help turn blue/purple strains their intended color. You may want to check it out!

Thanks Mr. Krip!

I've heard of that stuff, but I didn't think I was going to need it for the outdoor flowering plants, cause our NORMAL overnight lows in September/October are nearly identical to Humbolt County and the other NorCal origins of most of the Purples.

Your suggestion is timely cause I had been considering looking into an artificial means to induce the change when the weather doesn't want to cooperate! ;)

I'll google it and see how much $$ it is! I HATE spending major bucks on some of these things. My last forray got me a $15.00 bottle of Clearex that after examining the ingrdients discovered that I had just spent $15.00 for $1.50 worth of dextrose, table sugar and water! :rolleyes3

Thanks Mr. Krip!

I've heard of that stuff, but I didn't think I was going to need it for the outdoor flowering plants, cause our NORMAL overnight lows in September/October are nearly identical to Humbolt County and the other NorCal origins of most of the Purples.

Your suggestion is timely cause I had been considering looking into an artificial means to induce the change when the weather doesn't want to cooperate! ;)

I'll google it and see how much $$ it is! I HATE spending major bucks on some of these things. My last forray got me a $15.00 bottle of Clearex that after examining the ingrdients discovered that I had just spent $15.00 for $1.50 worth of dextrose, table sugar and water! :rolleyes3

Assuming it's like the SSU, it's somewhat expensive when mixed into the res/nutes, but very economical when used as a weekly foliar spray, which is how I apply the SSU.

Very lovely pics indeed muh man GG7. kind of a bummer on the purple. But I've noticed that them trichomes are starting to amber an indication of near harvest. The time every successful grower waits for.
Are you going to harvest them in the early stages of their end life cycle for high thc or you gonna let them mature to their end life cycle so that the cbn is higher. I assume you would go wit cbn more than thc as you grow for medical purposes correct?

Very lovely pics indeed muh man GG7. kind of a bummer on the purple. But I've noticed that them trichomes are starting to amber an indication of near harvest. The time every successful grower waits for.
Are you going to harvest them in the early stages of their end life cycle for high thc or you gonna let them mature to their end life cycle so that the cbn is higher. I assume you would go wit cbn more than thc as you grow for medical purposes correct?

Since I have two much larger plants in an earlier flowering point, I am going to let this one go longer and see if she turns. I prefer the "Couchlock" effect from my GDP, so I don't mind letting her go a bit longer. I know that a lot of growers looking for bag appeal let their GDP go as far out as week 10 to get as much purple as they can into the buds!

Assuming it's like the SSU, it's somewhat expensive when mixed into the res/nutes, but very economical when used as a weekly foliar spray, which is how I apply the SSU.

Purple Maxx appears to be selling for just under 30 bucks for an 8oz bottle. I guess if you only used it for a foliar spray it would last you awhile, but 30 bucks for 8 ozs? That's pretty spendy in my book. ;) Since the whole Clearex thing, I have grown VERY suspicious of many of these expensive products targeted at us Cannabis growers, so I started doing some digging around in my gardening books and notes as well as some Googling.

Looks like Purple Maxx, SSU and most of those types of product's primary active ingredient is Triacontanol.

From Wikipedia:

1-Triacontanol is a fatty alcohol of the general formula C30H62O, also known as melissyl alcohol or myricyl alcohol. It is found in plant cuticle waxes and in beeswax. Triacontanol is a growth stimulant for many plants, most notably roses, in which it rapidly increases the number of basal breaks.

----------------------------

That chemical name sounded familiar so I went to one of my Rose growing books and sure enough...a primary natural source of Triacontanol is Alfalfa!

From the web:

Alfalfa contains...

Triacontanol (growth stimulant)
Vitamin A (high concentration)
Thiamine
Riboflavin
Pantothenic Acid
Niacin
Pyridoxine
Choline
Bentaine
Folic Acid
co-enzymes
Crude proteins (16 - 25% in dry alfalfa)

A tea can be made from Alfalfa pellets and water. Most folks would know Alfalfa pellets as rabbit and guinea pig food! The only drawback to this stuff is that I hear it stinks to high heaven after it ferments! That is why I never tried making any. Would be useless for me in the winter when anything I grow would be indoors.

For you adventurous types on a budget, here are a couple of recipes I dug up from my gardening resources.

---------------------------------------------------

ALFALFA TEA Recipe 1

32 GALLON TRASH CAN
10 CUPS ALFALFA PELLETS (obtained from feed stores)
1 CUP EPSOM SALTS
1 CUP FISH EMULSION

Add the pellets to the trash can. Fill trash can with water. Stir. Cover trash can tightly with lid. For the next three days stir "tea" several times a day in order to dissolve the pellets. Keep covered. On the third day add epsom salts and fish emulsion. It is ready to use on any vegetable, plant, tree or bush. You will never want to use a commercially prepared fertilizer again.

-----------------------------------------------

ALFALFA TEA Recipe 2

Choose a garbage bin or barrel with no leaks and a tight fitting lid. Position it in an out of the way place - you don't want to have to move it once it's full. For a full size garbage bin (20 gallons) add 16 cups of alfalfa pellets or alfalfa meal (4 cups to every 5 gallons or 22 litres of water)

Add 1 - 2 cups of Epsom salts (magnesium sulphate crystals) (or one quarter to half a cup to 5 gallons) Optionally, add two tablespoons of Iron Chelate.

Fill with water, put on a tight lid to prevent mosquitos from breeding in your "swamp". Let stand for one week until it bubbles with fermentation. Your nose will tell you that it's ready.

Probably too late for this outdoor growing season, but next spring... We do have a feed store down the mountain from us... :hmmmm:

Back
Top Bottom