Grand Daddy Purple - SCROG Secret Jardin DR60

So noticing the GDP flowers looked awesome, I got out my light meter and realized the reflector shines brightest on back half of the tent since that is where the bulb is directly above. The reflector fills out really well but I will plan out the top main colas better next time knowing this. The GDP just happens to be in a bright spot. I'm wondering if it is better to run a 400 watt bulb at 300 watts, or a 600 watt bulb at 300 watts? I know the 600 watt is bigger and should cover more area underneath it so I was thinking it would be better? It is a lot cheaper to get the 400 watts the. I wanted a 600 watt amp so bad when I had the 4x4 tent. So I was looking to upgrade/replace the ballast I have. To get a new ballast the choices are to get a 400 watt ballast that can do 400/250, or a 600 watt ballast that is 600/400/300. Or to get the same 100% 75% 50% dimmable ballast like I have a now that does 400/300/200?

20140219_220253.jpg

The chart I use. I just do the flowering, skipping the veg part this time around because I used the dry fertilizer fox farm organic tomato and vegetable mixed into the fox farm ocean forest when I did the 1 Gal pots and 3 Gal pots last time. This time for the clones I am not fertilizing with fox farm organic because the fungus gnats go bat shiz crazy for that poop. I used some super b+ and prop-o-gator that I have mixed in a spray bottle with water to aid the transplant shock and to start the clones.

So I got some pollen, not a lot, just from 3 bananas that opened up. I must have caught one that had most of its pollen, and another half full, and a third barely any. I put a plastic spoon to catch them as I snipped them or just knocked them off the plant. Then I got a q-Tip and rubbed the cotton ball and got the pollen on it. It's yellowish green colored pollen. I then rubbed some of the GDP and Strawberry pistils on two of the plants. I still have the male plant in there and it hasn't dropped any pollen yet. Still waiting, but I'm excited now that they aren't virgins and I've popped my weed pollinating cherry. Can't wait to see some seeds, hoping for the best that this is the perfect timing for pollination.

20140219_220157.jpg

Last year I did the Y thing and it was awesome in a 3 Gallon square pot. I'm using round pots now and I am trying something new and different. I want to try to make it like you fill an ice cream cone soft serve ice cream swirl. Like a circular spring spiraling upwards. I'm thinking of doing another Y thing with one of the other clones now that you bring it up.

High and Teldren.... I'm in early stages of LST (week 4, day 2, 3rd day of LST) and was wondering the same thing. Thought about training her out and then going in one direction. Wider at the bottom and gradually getting smaller at the top. I only have one plant going right now but already feel like I want to grow multiples (at least 2 or 3) so I can try all the nice LST methods I'm seeing here. Problem is I only have this AG. It was an experiment and I think I'm ready for the experiment to be over so I can graduate to a bubble system. Time to get off the couch and go bigger...well at least big...LOL.

Back to the sidelines...LOL.

Renegade

Last year I did the Y thing and it was awesome in a 3 Gallon square pot. I'm using round pots now and I am trying something new and different. I want to try to make it like you fill an ice cream cone soft serve ice cream swirl. Like a circular spring spiraling upwards. I'm thinking of doing another Y thing with one of the other clones now that you bring it up.

High and Teldren.... I'm in early stages of LST (week 4, day 2, 3rd day of LST) and was wondering the same thing. Thought about training her out and then going in one direction. Wider at the bottom and gradually getting smaller at the top. iT I only have one plant going right now but already feel like I want to grow multiples (at least 2 or 3) so I can try all the nice LST methods I'm seeing here. Problem is I only have this AG. It was an experiment and I think I'm ready for the experiment to be over so I can graduate to a bubble system.

I grow ScroG and all normal rules can go out the window. A standard grow I would agree don't pick them there is no use the lower will shade anyway as it is farthest from the light. In my grow I will take another cola over another leaf any day. The best thing about here is everyone can do there own thing and can look at what other people do and know what direction that THEY want to go. I feel in the end if your bud is the bomb and you have a good harvest then that is all that really matters. :blunt:

I grow ScroG and all normal rules can go out the window. A standard grow I would agree don't pick them there is no use the lower will shade anyway as it is farthest from the light. In my grow I will take another cola over another leaf any day. The best thing about here is everyone can do there own thing and can look at what other people do and know what direction that THEY want to go. I feel in the end if your bud is the bomb and you have a good harvest then that is all that really matters. :blunt:

Agreed.... SCROG, SOG or LST demands clipping leaves. If your gonna grow tall then I would guess you would want to keep your leaves. At least that's what I'm learning here...lol. Would love to hear Jorge's input on this.

Renegade

So according to Jorge's video, need to be more careful pulling leaves off, especially during the flowering stage. It's so hard not to pick off leaves that are shading the flowers and moving leaves around on a daily basis. So in the first few weeks before start of flower, I trimmed off lower branches and bud sites, and pinched of the starts of new nodes and leaves that would be popcorn bud. I like having lots of nodes but they are usually to close together and crowded each other out. I lolly popped the plants just before flower, except I didn't completely cut all the lower branches on the GDP so I could have an example of what popcorn buds look like on a GDP. Plus they usually take longer to finish flowering on the bottom vs the top of the plant.

Yeah, even though this was an outdoor grow video, I thought it was important for indoor scrog especially during flower stage. I am pretty sure I slowed down the growth by pulling too many healthy leaves too soon, too often, and too late. There must be a planned way to trim; either to trim all at once at certain weeks, or slowly over time, what is the right amount, or the combination of these methods, I am out to learn.

I personally think trimming must come early, the sooner the better. I find that if I am taking off a lot all at once, it was because I was waiting too long to start trimming. Trimming becomes more often and time consuming as it gets bigger. That is because I wasn't thinking ahead to how I wanted the plant to grow and I am now reacting to how the plant wanted to grow. Or you can just throw the seed and do nothing. What you reap is what you sow. I sow happy I grow weed.

Agreed.... SCROG, SOG or LST demands clipping leaves. If your gonna grow tall then I would guess you would want to keep your leaves. At least that's what I'm learning here...lol. Would love to hear Jorge's input on this.

Renegade

I am thinking its going to be an issue with how many bud sites there are and how close they are together. The leaves are wet when they touch each other and sometimes the water can't evaporate, and there will be a small amount of water. The leaves get burned from this since every night when the humidity rises towards 60% while the lights are off. I hate that it does that and I worry about the carbon filter getting clogged up with moisture. The 4 inch can fan runs 24/7 as does the internal 6 inch fan. I also worry about mold that can happen on the bud. The tent is really stinking now too when I open it up. eeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuueee,,,,,,,,,

I usually dont remove any fan leaves even when doing training. I prefer to only clip the new growth nodes down below leaving only the big fan leaves and then they divert all growth to the new nodes but they dont lose the energy from having leaves plucked. Plus those big leaves can be a good buffer for deficiencies will show on them typically before it shows on a bud site. Then the fan leaves fall off on their own through bloom as nutrients are used.

do you have a small internal air circulation fan? or is that what the 6 inch fan does? Getting a nice breeze through the plants will help cut down risk of mold

Yeah the 6 inch fan doesn't move, but it circulates the air in the tent. I have it on high at 190 cfm, it has two settings, low/high at 90cfm/190cfm. I had it at 90 cfm when the plants where smaller, then upped it to 190 when they got bigger. If I could get a small oscillating fan I would. I had a 12 inch oscillating fan in a 4x4 tent, but way overkill and too big for a 2x2.

Just noticed the conversation went from "fan leaves" to "fans". I need an exhaust fan for my veg cabinet that plugs into an ac outlet, or usb to ac outlet. I want it to be somewhat quiet and to be able to have a filter for it. The cabinet is 4x1.5x3, which is 18 cubic feet, so I saw this stuff AC Infinity AI-CFS120BA Single 120 Quiet Cabinet Fan, Black - Amazon.com and thought something along these lines.

1667092338760.png

Back
Top Bottom