Grandpa Gets Oily! Everclear Extracts For Shatter Or Oil!

I’m not that hard up yet...nor stupid. :Namaste:
Everybody knows what "molon labe" means but it's not specific to a challenge. It's simply, come and take. "Dórean" means to be given freely or as a gift. Isn't everybody familiar with ancient Greek? LOL

edit: It's what we spoke when I was a kid. ;)

Made a little extract today just to play around with the system. I took two ozs of MTTS and chopped them up with scissors. Those buds are so resinous and dense it was like cutting Play Doh. I used the @Bucudinkydow decarb technique using a sealed jar in the oven. I did 240F for 60 minutes. They went back into the freezer. Today I opened them (note: it stinks like rotten ass of roadkill when you open the jar) and did a QWET for 10 minutes. Did a rough strainer filter and then a fine filter through a #4 coffee filter. The color was like the well-hydrated urine of a healthy adult. Perfect, right? Then into the vacuum chamber. I stopped the reduction at 1oz of liquid. No idea if it worked because I need someone to be my lab rat!
Long story short... I stunk up my house so bad even Bob Marley would have been put off. I need more toys.

What cfm is your pump @Rider509 ? That looks awesome so the dry ice chamber keeps the vacuum pump oil from getting contaminated? I need to re-read what you said earlier. Sorry. So you have a vacuum chamber on your hot plate running at 135 degrees?

Last stupid question that flows through my mind, - is that able to be dabbed? Or what is your end goal? Good luck with your testing! You got my little brain running circles over here lol

Fabulous @Rider509 ! I need 3 oz of Pineapple Chunks too! I would test that out in a heartbeat. Did it recapture the Ethonal? Man, now you got me wanting... asshole! :welldone:
Haha, sorry! But it's all about the toys for me!
I did recapture the alcohol, or most of it. I'm going to improve a bit on the design of the recovery vessel by coiling copper tubing tightly around the chiller so the vapor enters at the top and gravity flows. On the exit side I'll run a stand pipe up to the top. Some of the alcohol was making it out the exhaust and that can't be good for the pump. I also want to try boiling chips to smooth out the boil. It went from no boil to roiling boil almost instantly and quit boiling just as rapidly. Alcohol does weird things under a vacuum.

Haha, sorry! But it's all about the toys for me!
I did recapture the alcohol, or most of it. I'm going to improve a bit on the design of the recovery vessel by coiling copper tubing tightly around the chiller so the vapor enters at the top and gravity flows. On the exit side I'll run a stand pipe up to the top. Some of the alcohol was making it out the exhaust and that can't be good for the pump. I also want to try boiling chips to smooth out the boil. It went from no boil to roiling boil almost instantly and quit boiling just as rapidly. Alcohol does weird things under a vacuum.

The alcohol recapture is what I’m really interested in, but I don’t want to pay for it. I’m keeping an open mind though. You are hitting on all 8 with this one bud.

What cfm is your pump @Rider509 ? That looks awesome so the dry ice chamber keeps the vacuum pump oil from getting contaminated? I need to re-read what you said earlier. Sorry. So you have a vacuum chamber on your hot plate running at 135 degrees?

Last stupid question that flows through my mind, - is that able to be dabbed? Or what is your end goal? Good luck with your testing! You got my little brain running circles over here lol
It's a 5cfm two-stage pump. Might be overkill but it's what I had on hand. The dry ice chamber is supposed to condense the alcohol out but it's a really crappy design with not enough contact time or surface area. I plan on fixing that. I modded the thermostat on the hot plate to allow it to run at low temps and with a very narrow dead zone. The dead zone is only a few degrees either way now. This batch was already decarbed but I see no reason why you couldn't dab it. I'm making tinctures for my brother.

Thanks for the breakdown. I have a 6cfm 2 stage pump on hand if I ever want to attempt to follow in your footsteps.. so if you wanted a dabbable/shatter end product, decarb is unnecessary?
If you dab it you don't need to decarb first.

Hey I wonder if you used a smaller pump if it would increase contact time in the dry ice chamber? I do really like the cool idea and since you already have that pump on hand might as well stick with it

I meant I liked the idea of wrapping the copper coil around the dry ice chamber

Back
Top Bottom