Grandpa Gets Oily! Everclear Extracts For Shatter Or Oil!

It will be I’m subbed to thread so when I’m ready im following your lead my good man ..

Sweet. Just use caution, take your time, and you’ll be fine. If you find a better or easier way of doing this, or a tweak—that doesn’t cost a fortune—then please share here too. I’m always up for making things better.

Checking out the first run through the everclear :laughtwo:

34651BFC-32F3-499B-8F08-8945F0688C4C.jpeg

My new avatar! Thanks! :thumb:

I've done a fair bit of research on QWET and the one constant is COLD. Like, dry ice cold. Subzero temperatures bind the water soluble chlorophyll proteins and hold the chlorophyll in place so they don't dissolve in the alcohol. After wetting the flower in alcohol the mixture is gently swirled and placed back in the freezer. Then gently swirled a couple of times before pouring off the alcohol. The caveat is that at temps of -40C or lower the dissolution of THC into the alcohol is slower so the mixture needs to sit longer. More along the lines of 10-20 minutes for a good extraction. I'll give it a shot and document the results.
For those interested:
Cannabis Oil QWET Extraction Battle of the Wash: Dry Ice vs. Freezer

Thanks for the tutorial Grandpa! I'll be making some capsules for my dad soon. What's that syringe called so I can get one from amazon?

Also, is that blob really decarbed in 18 minutes at 250º?

Hello friends! My little trip got shortened due to really bad weather. Drove 4 hours in blizzard conditions. Not the brightest move I've made, but not close to the worst. :tokin:

Anywayz, here's what I did with my blob of very nice trichomes. Enjoy!

I've done a fair bit of research on QWET and the one constant is COLD. Like, dry ice cold. Subzero temperatures bind the water soluble chlorophyll proteins and hold the chlorophyll in place so they don't dissolve in the alcohol. After wetting the flower in alcohol the mixture is gently swirled and placed back in the freezer. Then gently swirled a couple of times before pouring off the alcohol. The caveat is that at temps of -40C or lower the dissolution of THC into the alcohol is slower so the mixture needs to sit longer. More along the lines of 10-20 minutes for a good extraction. I'll give it a shot and document the results.
For those interested:

Thanks Rider! I keep my Everclear in the freezer along with the material, but I’ve not tried swirling and then putting back in the freezer. Makes perfect sense though. I’m definitely on the hunt for a decent vacuum chamber like yours. I will watch you like a hawk!

Thanks for the tutorial Grandpa! I'll be making some capsules for my dad soon. What's that syringe called so I can get one from amazon?

Also, is that blob really decarbed in 18 minutes at 250º?

Here’s the ones I use:

10ml Syringes with 14Ga 1.5'' Blunt Tip Needle and Storage Caps - Great for Glue Applicator, Oil Dispensing (Pack of 5)

1666162445551.png

The blob was actually decarb’d in 13 minutes. I managed to hit a Dab before writing that...LOL! It was 10 minutes initially, and then an additional 3 minutes to stop bubbling. I put the timer on the toaster oven at an additional 5 minutes because it’s only marked in increments of 5, and I wanted to be sure. I watched it and took it out after 3 minutes. The oil is decarb’d really quick compared to weed. You’ll see.

I sincerely hope your Dad gets relief with the capsules my friend. If I could make this stuff all day long and give to people in need, I certainly would!

Here’s the ones I use:

10ml Syringes with 14Ga 1.5'' Blunt Tip Needle and Storage Caps - Great for Glue Applicator, Oil Dispensing (Pack of 5)
1666162394838.png

The blob was actually decarb’d in 13 minutes. I managed to hit a Dab before writing that...LOL! It was 10 minutes initially, and then an additional 3 minutes to stop bubbling. I put the timer on the toaster oven at an additional 5 minutes because it’s only marked in increments of 5, and I wanted to be sure. I watched it and took it out after 3 minutes. The oil is decarb’d really quick compared to weed. You’ll see.
I sincerely hope your Dad gets relief with the capsules my friend. If I could make this stuff all day long and give to people in need, I certainly would!

Thanks Grandpa, adding it to my amazon cart! I've been decarbing first because I do my extraction directly into oil (no Everclear in CA and alcohol without a reclaim method is generally too expensive for me). I'm going to take some of my commercially made CBD oil and mix it with my topical oil and put it in capsules for my dad. Just have to get the math down first :).

For those interested:

Oh yeah, thanks for the link! Outstanding read. Did you purchase The Source Turbo? I’ve been looking extensively, and although there are many options, the Source seems to be the least expensive for recapture of the alcohol—even though it’s costly enough as it is, the other options are far more expensive. I may bite the bullet and get one eventually.

Did you purchase The Source Turbo?
No, that's an all-in-one device and I have everything except the solvent extractor. Still studying condenser designs to DIY, either dry ice or liquid nitrogen. I need to process in larger quantities than the Source Turbo is designed for. It looks like a good unit though.

This happened today. It's used with dry ice or liquid nitrogen to condense extracted solvents prior to the vacuum pump. I've got my hot plate/water bath dialed in and can't wait to try the whole system out. Someone will need to come hit a few dabs and give me feedback! Gpa? :)

This happened today. It's used with dry ice or liquid nitrogen to condense extracted solvents prior to the vacuum pump. I've got my hot plate/water bath dialed in and can't wait to try the whole system out. Someone will need to come hit a few dabs and give me feedback! Gpa? :)

I’m in! You need to document this and write a tutorial Rider. Or, better yet, video!

I need to see you in a lab coat—and nothing else. :slide::reading420magazine:

Seriously, teach me!

Me teach you, Gpa? YOU taught ME! LOL! All I have is book smarts. You're the one with hands-on experience and proven results. I'm a babyfaced butterbar joining a battle-hardened platoon.

But a video is a good idea if only for the comic release.
"Where's your Butterbar, soldier?"
"BLOWN UP, SIR!"

I did a fun run with the trim from the second MTPC using your method, Gpa. I kept it below 140F. I got a decent amount of resin but it turned out as shatter once it cooled. Nothing wrong with shatter but I was expecting something more resinous. Might leave a bit more alcohol in it for my brother to mix with MCT when I do it next. I set my hotplate and stuff up on the stove under an 1800cfm commercial hood and it didn't seem to help. My house REEKS of pot like the Grateful Dead tour bus. I'm hoping a vac extraction and cold recovery contains the smell or I'll have to process in a motorhome way out in the desert ala Breaking Bad.

Good morning Granpa Tokin, hope ya and the fine folks following ya don't mind me observing from the corner there....:popcorn::slide::thanks:

You are always welcome here Smeegs!

I did a fun run with the trim from the second MTPC using your method, Gpa. I kept it below 140F. I got a decent amount of resin but it turned out as shatter once it cooled. Nothing wrong with shatter but I was expecting something more resinous. Might leave a bit more alcohol in it for my brother to mix with MCT when I do it next. I set my hotplate and stuff up on the stove under an 1800cfm commercial hood and it didn't seem to help. My house REEKS of pot like the Grateful Dead tour bus. I'm hoping a vac extraction and cold recovery contains the smell or I'll have to process in a motorhome way out in the desert ala Breaking Bad.

LOL! Shatter is good man! You did it right. My recommendation would be to start scraping a little sooner, before it evaporates so much, rather than adding more alcohol. I did fail to mention the smell in the tutorial didn’t I? That’s because I do all my pot experiments in my shop. My wife would be livid if I did any of this in the house. In fact, I’d probably be living out here permanently...like you, she doesn’t use Cannabis either. Do you have a dog house?

Was the smell of the shatter good? It should be. Just drop all the shatter pieces into whatever oil you want to make and your good...after decarb’d naturally. You’re going to see a huge difference with the lab equipment and vac. Equipment I think.

Let me know if I can help.

Stopping the process earlier is a must! Wow, scraping the resin out of the pyrex was a chore I don't care to repeat. A consistency like maple syrup should make bottling easy. The wife didn't kick me out but boy howdy she was not happy when she came home. Don't want to push my luck so won't be doing open air evap in the house again! LOL.

The following was copied from my journal. Enjoy!

Gather round boys and girls! Grandpa’s making Rosin...

I used a little over 5 grams of some insane good GG. I clean any stems and put it in a 90 micron bag, while my home made rosin press warms up:

I then use my smaller—6 ton—press to do a pre-smash on the pouch of bud:

Then, once the plates are at the temp I want (225F on my PID), I place the pouch inside some parchment and press away. (It takes practice to get to know the perfect temps/pressure/time for each strain. Naturally, it also depends on the press being used. Mine is home made and not a professional rosin press...but it cost me very little since I had the press.)

Then, it’s just a matter of gathering the goodness:

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom