Gratefulred Grow 2.0 Sonoran Desert

That's the color of bud rot, but that's not usually a problem in warmer, less humid weather...could be that a
caterpillar has bored into the bud and set up housekeeping in there- the only way to check for that is to break the bud open and have a look- the caterpillars that attack the buds usually won't eat any of the leaves, so there's no evidence that they're there till the bud starts to turn brown or beige.
It could just be regular bud rot (botrytis) but I hope it isn't...

That's the color of bud rot, but that's not usually a problem in warmer, less humid weather...could be that a
caterpillar has bored into the bud and set up housekeeping in there- the only way to check for that is to break the bud open and have a look- the caterpillars that attack the buds usually won't eat any of the leaves, so there's no evidence that they're there till the bud starts to turn brown or beige.
It could just be regular bud rot (botrytis) but I hope it isn't...
It is SO dry here in the desert - I’d be surprised if it was mold, but I am limited, as you know, in experience. I’ll chop and look for caterpillars??

It is SO dry here in the desert
Yeah, that's why It really shouldn't be rot...but it is something, and caterpillars come to mind because I've had them do that exact thing to my outdoor plants...if is is caterpillars, spraying them with Safer brand caterpillar killer will get rid of them, (except if they're inside the buds- you'll have to dig those out) and it's something you can spray with every day if need be.
Actually, any brand made with BTI will work- I say Safer brand because that's what I've used, so I know it works well.

@Carcass I dug through the bud a little bit but Didn’t see any evidence of insects. Did you actually see the larvae or a small caterpillars when you dealt with them? If I don’t see any insects am I assuming this is bud rot and just cut the whole bud off? Ugh.

@Carcass I dug through the bud a little bit but Didn’t see any evidence of insects. Did you actually see the larvae or a small caterpillars when you dealt with them? If I don’t see any insects am I assuming this is bud rot and just cut the whole bud off? Ugh.
put it down into some peroxide and see what happens. A normal bud without rot will just sit there doing nothing.

Another shot:
F79D5257-1901-4DE5-8605-7619A2A0EC52.jpeg

Did you actually see the larvae or a small caterpillars when you dealt with them?
Yes, you'll see them if they're there- the caterpillars will actually hollow out the bud, and they're about an inch long so you can't miss them.
It must just be rot, so you'll have to get rid of that bud, unfortunately...Hopefully, you don't find any more...

Yes, you'll see them if they're there- the caterpillars will actually hollow out the bud, and they're about an inch long so you can't miss them.
It must just be rot, so you'll have to get rid of that bud, unfortunately...Hopefully, you don't find any more...
Yeah, definitely no inch-long crawly friends there... It just doesn't look like the photos of rot that I've seen and the relatively humidity is literally like 6% out there with lots of spacing between plants. I wonder if it is just dryness and heat? It has been getting up to the mid 90s already. Guess I can throw some peroxide on there and see if we have fizz....

Could it have been up against that 120 degree wall before you moved it farther away?
That's all I can think of...and you may be right about the rot- it doesn't really look right to be rot- doesn't seem gray enough...

Could it have been up against that 120 degree wall before you moved it farther away?
That's all I can think of...and you may be right about the rot- it doesn't really look right to be rot- doesn't seem gray enough...
Yes, it really could have been the heat. I'm thinking I'm going to keep my eye on it for a few days before chopping it off and see what develops (or doesn't).

Yes, it really could have been the heat. I'm thinking I'm going to keep my eye on it for a few days before chopping it off and see what develops (or doesn't).
Doesn’t seem to be changing much (maybe a little development) but the plant itself doesn’t look great... from what I know it doesn’t look like nutrient burn...here are the two that are struggling a bit...
C89A1F43-255E-4A78-B0A0-2E0C2590DA7B.jpeg
F35D19C6-C02B-4569-B4B2-F188F9EEFDD2.jpeg

Those leaves look like they're trying to hide from the sun- how hot is it out there?

Well, it has been hotter than normal - mid 90s and direct sun. Might move them. I'm pretty sure it isn't mold and I don't think it is a nutes issue, unless I'm missing something (which is certainly a possibility - as y'all know, I'm still a nube.)

Well, it has been hotter than normal - mid 90s and direct sun. Might move them. I'm pretty sure it isn't mold and I don't think it is a nutes issue, unless I'm missing something (which is certainly a possibility - as y'all know, I'm still a nube.)

So, with the outdoor ladies, and whatever they are going through, is it time to clean out the soil and go clean for the last couple of weeks now? We are at week 14 going on 15 shortly. I am also assuming that at this stage in the game it is not uncommon for leaves to start to yellow anyway?

Back
Top Bottom